R160 N train hard-to-understand announcement

rockdove

Last summer on the N train back from Coney Island there would be something said along with the automated message "this is a manhattan bound N train, the next stop is so-and-so" that sounded like "B as in boulevard" -- but this was the N not the B. Was this message misprogrammed and is 'boulevard' the actual word or is it a similar-sounding word?

An internet search tells me of a train operator calling it a "B, as in "bad boy Bobby Brown" train" :cool: but I'm referring to a recorded announcement.

I ride the (N) everyday and I live above the Sea Beach and I don't recall hearing something like that.

Could it be a rerouted N train? The announcements go like: "This is a Manhattan bound N train, via the __ line..." and the bolded part sounds the most like "B as in boulevard." Kinda.

I cant imagine its any worse than the people mumbling on the PA, the stops on the older trains

Hell...automated announcements were supposed to solve the PA conundrum. Sometimes they're worse!

I still prefer the longer announcements. "This is a Stillwell Ave-Coney Island bound N Express train."

I think you must be referring to the re-routed announcements.

This is a Manhattan-bound N via the D line (I prefer "West End"). Dianne Thompson sounds like she's mumbling it.

• 4 weeks later...
CulverLineGuy is correct she did say ''This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train (with a pause) via the (D) Line''. Loud and clear, :(!

I tested it. My girlfriend is over and she listened to the announcement a few times. I heard via the D line, but it took a few listenings. She didn't hear via the D line.

The new announcements are a big improvement over the old muddled ones in clarity for most. I miss having the personalities in the old announcements. New technology brings certain improvements, not perfection. And usually, something is missing from a previous generation of a creation.

I tested it. My girlfriend is over and she listened to the announcement a few times. I heard via the D line, but it took a few listenings. She didn't hear via the D line.

The new announcements are a big improvement over the old muddled ones in clarity for most. I miss having the personalities in the old announcements. New technology brings certain improvements, not perfection. And usually, something is missing from a previous generation of a creation.

Yeah, I used to think the same way. But I've grown to love the voices. Well, mostly Catherine's voice, lol.

Those mixed announcements are funny, you have Catherine saying part and then Diane saying the next part, lol.

I always felt like whoever did the (5) announcements was pissed at the time of recording.

I think its the way she said via that threw me off

Because they're a complete opposite of the Melissa Kleiner announcements, I have a feeling they might have told Jessica to make them more stern.

Hell...automated announcements were supposed to solve the PA conundrum. Sometimes they're worse!

This is a job for Jessica!!!

I always felt like whoever did the (5) announcements was pissed at the time of recording.

lol true enough...she says "33rd Street" with such contempt in her voice. But you can't say you don't understand what she's saying. Least I can't.

You mean (V-ee-ah)?...

You just made me realise that they say "via" the preffered way (at least the way i prefer it, lol)... (v-ee-ah) instead of (v-i-ah)...

Ohhh and how about this mix of Jessica (5) and Dianne (2).

Yeah, Jessica does sound "alarming" on the (5) announcements... if I have taken the Lex Av trains its usually been the (4) and the (6) and I never noticed the differences in tone that well. She sounds much more relaxed on the (4) and (6)

I hate mixed annoucements. Why can't they keep the announcements consistent? The IRT might be harder, but the BMT/IND lines should not have all the messy announcements...like the original N announcements a year ago.

Archived