R160 N train hard-to-understand announcement

rockdove

I hate mixed annoucements. Why can't they keep the announcements consistent? The IRT might be harder, but the BMT/IND lines should not have all the messy announcements...like the original N announcements a year ago.

From what I've heard, the (N) & (Q) announcements were changed because it was too long (dwell time) to have both Coney Island and Stillwell Av bound announced at every station. The rest seem the same otherwise.

Just a note, not to anyone in particular, but this is getting a little freaky talking about how some seem to really enjoy these ladies' voices. :confused:

From what I've heard, the (N) & (Q) announcements were changed because it was too long (dwell time) to have both Coney Island and Stillwell Av bound announced at every station. The rest seem the same otherwise.

But Dianne does say 'Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue' bound on the (F). I find that it IS too long, they should've just had her say 'Coney Island'.

Just a note, not to anyone in particular, but this is getting a little freaky talking about how some seem to really enjoy these ladies' voices. :confused:

I'll admit Im guilty of that. But its just because Im a dork:p and the voices are kind of one of my new favourite aspects of the Subway system. That's all. B)

Hmm...that's what I thought, but that kind of contradicts the "Manhattan-bound" announcement and "Transfer is available to the PATH"

Hmm...that's what I thought, but that kind of contradicts the "Manhattan-bound" announcement and "Transfer is available to the PATH"

There really isn't any way to shorten "Manhattan-bound" or "to Manhattan", and the transfer to PATH was presumably added for convenience, although I don't know if C/Rs announce it or not, likewise AMTRAK or NJT at 34/8.

But Dianne does say 'Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue' bound on the (F). I find that it IS too long, they should've just had her say 'Coney Island'.

I'll admit Im guilty of that. But its just because Im a dork:p and the voices are kind of one of my new favourite aspects of the Subway system. That's all. :(

Gottit. The entire (F) announcements sound bizarre, but as long as they get the point across to the two or three people that don't have iPods, then they'll do. :rock:

try to get more! the rerouted (2) and (5) trains are my favorite announcements but i can never seem to catch one anymore...my favorite is when the (5) is approaching 34th St Penn Station and Jessica is announcing the connections to LIRR, NJT and AMTRAK

Well 2 things: I normally don't take requests and I hardly ride the subway anymore since I'm just a bus ride away from some destinations. So what I got is all I have.

There really isn't any way to shorten "Manhattan-bound" or "to Manhattan", and the transfer to PATH was presumably added for convenience, although I don't know if C/Rs announce it or not, likewise AMTRAK or NJT at 34/8.

I was referring to changed announcements. The wording remained the same, but the voice went from Catherine Cowdery to Dianne Thompson for the "Manhattan-bound" and "PATH" announcements. It wasn't really necessary to do that, though.

I was referring to changed announcements. The wording remained the same, but the voice went from Catherine Cowdery to Dianne Thompson for the "Manhattan-bound" and "PATH" announcements. It wasn't really necessary to do that, though.

Oh okay, I know what you're talking about. I don't know why that is, but it also eliminated the mention of it being an express, just an N train. Not to be a geek about it, but I hear those particular announcements every morning.

Oh okay, I know what you're talking about. I don't know why that is, but it also eliminated the mention of it being an express, just an N train. Not to be a geek about it, but I hear those particular announcements every morning.

Yea, same here. There's just something about Dianne Thompson's voice that doesn't flow so well on the N. They kept the "express" for "Queens-bound N Express", though.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, that was so clear... was the audio edited?
no... I used a high end mic in the train car near the speaker. Y2julio was with me too

I want to get some other lines just have to do it durning off peak times.. I think I did that around 11pm or 12Am

Hah I was told it was fun to sit in the last car on the (L) :cool: but the (N) again... Brooklyn or Manhattan bound? I always did Manhattan bound because it was always easy to get a car to myself leaving Stillwell Ave station and not have everyone stare at me holding my mic near the speaker lol

Archived