(5) (6) change ideas after the recession

GreatOne2k

1. Extend weekend (5) service to/from Manhattan, the last (5) to/from Manhattan will leave Dyre Avenue at 9:57pm and will leave Bowling Green at 11:05pm, this will closely match the weekday hours of (5) service to/from Manhattan.

2. Extend the (6) to Bowling Green late nights, Sunday mornings, and whenever the (5) doesn't stop there. This also will apply to when the (5) ends at Grand Central and the (4) is running local with the (6). Exceptions will be made when the (4) has to end at Brooklyn Bridge of course.

3. Possible consideration of extending the (5) until 12am (or 1am) from Bowling Green 7 days a week.

These actions will help relieve the crowded (2) and (4) trains on weekends and late nights (and the (6) train late weekend evenings especially Saturday nights and some holidays). (4) was packed on 4th of July after 10:45pm, of course with no (5) there was no choice, except for a crowded (6) train (which was crowded into the Bronx after 11pm).

1. Extend weekend (5) service to/from Manhattan, the last (5) to/from Manhattan will leave Dyre Avenue at 9:57pm and will leave Bowling Green at 11:05pm, this will closely match the weekday hours of (5) service to/from Manhattan.

2. Extend the (6) to Bowling Green late nights, Sunday mornings, and whenever the (5) doesn't stop there. This also will apply to when the (5) ends at Grand Central and the (4) is running local with the (6). Exceptions will be made when the (4) has to end at Brooklyn Bridge of course.

3. Possible consideration of extending the (5) until 12am (or 1am) from Bowling Green 7 days a week.

These actions will help relieve the crowded (2) and (4) trains on weekends and late nights (and the (6) train late weekend evenings especially Saturday nights and some holidays). (4) was packed on 4th of July after 10:45pm, of course with no (5) there was no choice, except for a crowded (6) train (which was crowded into the Bronx after 11pm).

My take is this kid. While your ideas is not bad i dontthink your proposals will ever occur. When the recession ends, i think this is what the MTA may do for expanded Lex/East Side evening/overnight service.

(5)runs to either 149th-Grand Concourse(the (MTA) already runs the Dyre shuttle here mainly during snowstorms/cold weather) or more likely imo 42nd-Grand Central via express overnights and sunday morning until 8am.

(4) and (6)remains the same as locals.l.

The big issue is that Lex Local riders overnights want 'frequent' service of every 15 minutes or less. This is why the (2) runs local on the west side late nights.

Again I can see the (5) after the reccesion in next subway service increases extended probably to either 149th-Concourse or 42nd-Grand Central. Beyond that extending the (5) further overnights ie Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall or Bowling Green i doubt it will ever happen. Plus a surpirse, ridership on the (4) through Downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn on weekends/overnights is much lower than people think. The (4) is most busy 24/7 between Union Sq and Fordham Road.

Just my replies.

I'm in favor of full-time (5) trains to Manhattan instead of just short-turning in the Bronx only during off-hours. Lexington can use late night express service; the West Side got it last year with late-night (3) restoration in Manhattan only. The only reason why there are two locals and one express is because of less demand of express service at night; people just want to get home. But without a doubt the (5) can really help.

I'm in favor of full-time (5) trains to Manhattan instead of just short-turning in the Bronx only during off-hours. Lexington can use late night express service; the West Side got it last year with late-night (3) restoration in Manhattan only. The only reason why there are two locals and one express is because of less demand of express service at night; people just want to get home. But without a doubt the (5) can really help.

This plan has nothing to do with running the (5) 24/7 in Manhattan, it is just to get the weekend hours to match the weekday hours. Plan #1 would not cost that much $$ for the MTA and could actually be done now if MTA could cut another lesser used service during late weekday evenings.

(5) running to Manhattan 24/7 is another issue and may be harder to accomplish

My take is this kid. While your ideas is not bad i dontthink your proposals will ever occur. When the recession ends, i think this is what the MTA may do for expanded Lex/East Side evening/overnight service.

(5)runs to either 149th-Grand Concourse(the (MTA) already runs the Dyre shuttle here mainly during snowstorms/cold weather) or more likely imo 42nd-Grand Central via express overnights and sunday morning until 8am.

(4) and (6)remains the same as locals.l.

The big issue is that Lex Local riders overnights want 'frequent' service of every 15 minutes or less. This is why the (2) runs local on the west side late nights.

Again I can see the (5) after the reccesion in next subway service increases extended probably to either 149th-Concourse or 42nd-Grand Central. Beyond that extending the (5) further overnights ie Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall or Bowling Green i doubt it will ever happen. Plus a surpirse, ridership on the (4) through Downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn on weekends/overnights is much lower than people think. The (4) is most busy 24/7 between Union Sq and Fordham Road.

Just my replies.

I am not a kid so don't address me as such

Did you speak to someone in MTA about overnight (5) service, because MTA may not do anything at all after the recession.

Ending the (5) at 42 St-Grand Central is a problem unless the (5) runs to Bowling Green until the (4) begins to run local (after 1am) (so my plan #3 would HAVE to happen just to use 42 St-GC because the (4) still is on the express tracks) and the first (5) to Grand Central-42 St would have to end and return back to the Bronx on the downtown track[(4) and (5) would still be on uptown express tracks], while the others (after (4) goes local) would use the uptown track (like current GOs). It would not be a good idea to run the (4) local earlier just to the (5) can turn around on the tracks at 42 St.

This is a Pointless idea.

Like does the MTA has money for this.. And the (6) Doesnt need to go to loop on SF as it will delay the (4) instead leave the (6) heading to BK Bridge/CH Loop....

Maybe reading this can cure the blues regarding extending service: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11638

Don't overlook the fact that the normal (5) Dyre shuttle is OPTO service. To extend it to 149th St-Grand Concourse or Grand Central would mean that management and TWU Local 100 would have to agree on the C/R question. I'm guessing we are talking about a 10 car consist here. The (3) overnight has a full crew IIRC.

Like does the MTA has money for this.. And the (6) Doesnt need to go to loop on SF as it will delay the (4) instead leave the (6) heading to BK Bridge/CH Loop....

Maybe reading this can cure the blues regarding extending service: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11638

So it's pointless to have the (5) run a bit later on weekends? So I guess the (4) needs to stay crowded on weekend evenings on holidays.

(6) to BG is pointless late nights (and early Sunday mornings when headways are longer)? It reduces the headway to 10 minutes for lower Manhattan (late nights).

The plan is for (6) to BG late nights, not all day. The (4) and (6) use the same tracks late nights anyway, there will be no congestion problems.

The (6) went to South Ferry before late nights without tying up the (4).

This of course if after the recession (unless MTA cuts the (V) evening service one hour earlier on weekdays and put the savings towards relieving the (2) and (4) trains weekend evenings).

I don't know about everything else but i like the idea of the (5) going to Grand Central-42nd St late nights

While I think having a late night Exp on Lex would be a good idea, I just need the (5) to get me to the (4). If they can relay the (5) at 149-GC they should just do that. As for the OPTO I think they could get away with running it to 149, unless theres rules against that. I hate the fact that if I'm in the bronx late at night I have to take the (5),(2) and (4) to get to the east side. Then I still have to take another train and a bus to get home. Plus I've seen the (2) get relatively crowded on those late night headways so the (5) however many cars its running could help out.

While I think having a late night Exp on Lex would be a good idea, I just need the (5) to get me to the (4). If they can relay the (5) at 149-GC they should just do that. As for the OPTO I think they could get away with running it to 149, unless theres rules against that. I hate the fact that if I'm in the bronx late at night I have to take the (5),(2) and (4) to get to the east side. Then I still have to take another train and a bus to get home. Plus I've seen the (2) get relatively crowded on those late night headways so the (5) however many cars its running could help out.

I also suggested 149-GC as 'alternative' late night terminal for (5) if extending it to at least 42nd-Grand Central was not possible.

Dumb question. Could a 4-car R160 terminate at the 'middle' tracks at 138th St/GC and turn back for Bronx(Uptown) bound (2) WPR/Dyre tracks similar to what the (G) did relaying at 4th Ave/9th Sts(Smith/9th terminal) for over 20 years?

So it's pointless to have the (5) run a bit later on weekends? So I guess the (4) needs to stay crowded on weekend evenings on holidays.

(6) to BG is pointless late nights (and early Sunday mornings when headways are longer)? It reduces the headway to 10 minutes for lower Manhattan (late nights).

The plan is for (6) to BG late nights, not all day. The (4) and (6) use the same tracks late nights anyway, there will be no congestion problems.

The (6) went to South Ferry before late nights without tying up the (4).

This of course if after the recession (unless MTA cuts the (V) evening service one hour earlier on weekdays and put the savings towards relieving the (2) and (4) trains weekend evenings).

This is a legitimate idea that has merit, logic and reason applied to it. I think you should give his idea more respect. It is certainly much better than those other stupid ideas railfans have brought upon us.

Actually the (5) to 125 St late nights would be better, the (6) also becomes an option instead of just the (4)

I also suggested 149-GC as 'alternative' late night terminal for (5) if extending it to at least 42nd-Grand Central was not possible.

Dumb question. Could a 4-car R160 terminate at the 'middle' tracks at 138th St/GC and turn back for Bronx(Uptown) bound (2) WPR/Dyre tracks similar to what the (G) did relaying at 4th Ave/9th Sts(Smith/9th terminal) for over 20 years?

an R160 wont make it to the middle tracks at 138th without messing up a couple of platforms along the way :)

149-GC does seem like a good idea, since it allows riders to connect with the (4) without having to transfer to the (2) at East 180th. As for the (6) to Bowling Green, since there is room for additional trains at that time of day, how about extending the (6) to Atlantic Avenue?

By extending the line to Atlantic Avenue during late nights, not only could riders have a connection to the Ferry, they could also connect to the (D), (N), (Q), (2) trains and the LIRR without having to make an additional transfer in Manhattan. This is feasible, according to the track layouts. The (4)(6) will continue via Lower Manhattan, into the Joralemon tunnel and just after Nevins, the (4) will switch to the local track while the (6) will pull into Atlantic on the express track. A crossover still exists just west of Atlantic Avenue.

an R160 wont make it to the middle tracks at 138th without messing up a couple of platforms along the way :)

An R160?! Are you sure he didn't mean R142? And they only run in fives, not fours.

The (5) to Grand Concourse sounds great! As a matter of fact, it would work out too. The (5) could terminate on that stub-track at 138th Street, Grand Concourse and then relay back up. That could create one less transfer from (2) to (5) to (4) and then the (6) if you're traveling down Lexington Avenue.

In addition to that, last time I went up there, the Shuttle didn't check up with the (2). Waited for a good whole 20 minutes until the next (2) pulled in. But I haven't been to 180th street for a month...

I would actually rather see the (5) run late night express to Grand Central. It would benefit way more passengers then the late night (3). I really feel bad for anyone who has to travel to any Dyer Av. line station late night... I did it twice this year from 51st St. to Gun Hill Rd. and it was painful. I would at the very least like to see the (5) shuttle being extended to 149-GC rather than all the waiting and transferring.

Archived