Will the MTA ever take over Bee-Line?

mark1447

Has the (MTA) ever thought of taking over the Westchester Bee-Line similar to Buses under (MTA) Buses.

Reason why I ask is because the Fare from the Bee-Line System is from the (MTA), so I thought the (MTA) may take over it in the future or can.

Has the (MTA) ever thought of taking over the Westchester Bee-Line similar to Buses under (MTA) Buses.

Reason why I ask is because the Fare from the Bee-Line System is from the (MTA), so I thought the (MTA) may take over it in the future or can.

the mta does own bee line dah....

if it owns bee-line then why doesnt the (MTA) banners show on the Bee-Line and it also says Westchester Liberty Line Buses own it..

I highly doubt that (MTA) will own Bee Line....their was an article about it this year I believe and the Bee Line manager or owner was not having it. He didn't want (MTA) to take over Liberty Line Bee Line. Just b/c Bee Line now uses Metro-Cards doesn't mean (MTA) owns them!

Bee Line is a county transportation entity, belonging to the county of Westchester, NY. It recieves county and state funding, but has no official relation to (MTA)/(NYCT).

I highly doubt with the financially failing (MTA) that a successful Bee Line system will avoid being taken over.

(MTA) is over-reaching. They need to let MNRR and LIRR go and be their own entities, and focus on NYC transportation. (MTA) operating LIRR and MNRR makes as much sense as it operating the (NJT) rail system. Just no.

- A

Look at PATH, MTA does not own PATH, but it still uses Metrocards.

There was debate few years ago (and probably still today) to allow metrocard use at certain LIRR stations. I find it funny that LIRR ticket machines print paper metrocards. :cool:

- A

I don't understand, if the Bee Line isn't owned by the (MTA), then why does it use metro cards? If I buy a metro card at a subway station, the (MTA) already has my money. So if I put it inside a beeline bus machine, they would let me on, but I never actually paid the bee line company for my ride.

I don't understand, if the Bee Line isn't owned by the (MTA), then why does it use metro cards? If I buy a metro card at a subway station, the (MTA) already has my money. So if I put it inside a beeline bus machine, they would let me on, but I never actually paid the bee line company for my ride.

I think its becuz the Bee-Line Buses passes thru (MTA) Zone, which if Bee-line buses were at diffrent cost for NYC Riders[in Bronx for Lcl/Exp for Bx/Manhattan BxM4C) , people wouldnt like it. So everyone in the city would like it. I dunno how does this affect people in WestChester th0

I think its becuz the Bee-Line Buses passes thru (MTA) Zone, which if Bee-line buses were at diffrent cost for NYC Riders[in Bronx for Lcl/Exp for Bx/Manhattan BxM4C) , people wouldnt like it. So everyone in the city would like it. I dunno how does this affect people in WestChester th0

Yeah but how does the Bee Line get it's money if they use metrocards?

I suppose the Bee Line has an agreement to recoup an amount of money proportional to the number of times a MetroCards are used on the buses in a given year, similar to the Roosevelt Island Tramway. I am not sure about the use of unlimited ride cards: RI tramway does accept them, and, I suppose, so does the Bee Line, but as long as Bee Line is paid an amount of money by the (MTA) for each swipe of a MetroCard, there should not be any problems.

I don't understand, if the Bee Line isn't owned by the (MTA), then why does it use metro cards?

I could imagine that most customers that use the Bee-Line transfers over to an MTA subway, railroad or bus somewhere down the line. I'd rather use one payment method than two or three.

I've never ridden the Bee-Line before. ;)

I could imagine that most customers that use the Bee-Line transfers over to an MTA subway, railroad or bus somewhere down the line. I'd rather use one payment method than two or three.

I've never ridden the Bee-Line before. ;)

I meant more like "how" instead of why. How does the Bee Line get the money from fares? I go to a subway station to buy a metro card, so at this point, the (MTA) has my money. Then I ride a Bee Line bus and use my metro card, yet I never paid any money to the Bee line system. So that's what I'm confused about.

The money is in the system, and only represented as a balance on PPR cards, the metrocard backend services tracks the cards, it's sort of like how credit cards and bank computers work, but its designed for the metrocard. If money was only stored on the cards as information, unlimited cards would be impossible since you'd need literally unlimited money put on it. PATH, RIOC, Bee-Line & maybe others i don't know about use the metrocard even though not affiliated with (MTA). It's all electronically sorted with the backend services.

- A

Before MetroCard was introduce on Bee-Line bus during $1.75 and $7 BxM4C days, bus fare could be only accepted by cash, similar to Suffolk County Transit which only accept cash fare.

I think properly passengers who takes city bus and subway did not like paying double.

I am so glad Bee-Line Bus System install MetroCard.

I also think Roosevelt Island Tramway operated by RIOC went same by installing MetroCard.

One time during $2 days, I remeber one of new B/O on OWL on Tappan Zee Express was confuse when I use my (MTA) Transfer ticket from Bee-Line buses, and regular riders told B/O, "That's new transfer from Bee-Line."

okay this is how it works beeline uses metro cards for its riders.then the money that people use to buy metro cards is given to (MTA) still but beeline has a system.beeline adds up all the swipes from the metro cards that are 2.25$ for each swipe during that one year and thats how much (MTA) has to pay beeline back.hope this helped.

okay this is how it works beeline uses metro cards for its riders.then the money that people use to buy metro cards is given to (MTA) still but beeline has a system.beeline adds up all the swipes from the metro cards that are 2.25$ for each swipe during that one year and thats how much (MTA) has to pay beeline back.hope this helped.

Thanks.

I've never ridden the Bee-Line before. :P

That is the exact reason why Bee-Line got Metro-Card machines. Customers got tired of the two different fares. Now Bee-Line could have gotten the machines, but still charged $2 instead of the free transfers, but they did what was economical for the customers who transfer between both systems.........

To the others, WCDOT owns the Bee-Line buses, and facilities, the major operator is Liberty Lines, who employs the mechanics, cleaners, operators, etc.....

That is the exact reason why Bee-Line got Metro-Card machines. Customers got tired of the two different fares. Now Bee-Line could have gotten the machines, but still charged $2 instead of the free transfers, but they did what was economical for the customers who transfer between both systems.........

To the others, WCDOT owns the Bee-Line buses, and facilities, the major operator is Liberty Lines, who employs the mechanics, cleaners, operators, etc.....

Now Bee-Line local and shuttle buses are $2.25 and $5.50 for BxM4C.

I think Roosevelt Island Tramway passenger did not like seperate fare either when it was introduce during $2 fare on bus-subway and traway.

Archived