Light rail?

metsfan

Roselle park to Elizabeth? Using CNJ trackage? Stop at cross streets? Go to airport? Thoughts?

- A

No. Heavy Rail back to the CNJ Terminal in Jersey City:p.

Joking aside, I would like to see this happen but I don't know where the funding will come from also some businesses will have to move stuff of the ROW so will see.

There were plans on a scrap sheet that was eventually crumpled on a DMU route from Roselle Park to Elizabeth (Newark Bay area). I have to locate the source on this b/c it was from 3-4 years ago. Nice to have you back Metsfan!

No. Heavy Rail back to the CNJ Terminal in Jersey City:p.

Joking aside, I would like to see this happen but I don't know where the funding will come from also some businesses will have to move stuff of the ROW so will see.

I'd LOVE to see the CNJ branch re-connect to JC & the H&M connect to communipaw and so on, but alas the $...... Perhaps some day.

The only place that needs to move anything is the Cafe M's parking lot, easily solved by building a proper pedxing there & signals that tell people to wait.

There were plans on a scrap sheet that was eventually crumpled on a DMU route from Roselle Park to Elizabeth (Newark Bay area). I have to locate the source on this b/c it was from 3-4 years ago. Nice to have you back Metsfan!

I remember something about Colorado Railcar, but they went bust. How about Brookville? You could even use found PCC restored streetcars restored and modernized by them. I wonder if they could be retrofitted with pants to run on a dual wire like some trollies & trolly busses, or if single trolly wire would be best? Might be kinda cool and retro to have single trolly wire! :)

As for back, i'm only half "back". My hard drive is maxed out, so more photos are iffy at this point, but i'll try and upload the thousand or so i've taken since i got my new camera, and post over time in the various sections where they belong. I've hit a really rough patch recently, which sadly involves my iBook's dc port (the part where you plug it in to charge the battery) is very loose and it keeps shorting out & the PMU shuts off the power circuit to protect the computer, plus it has a really hard time charging due to the contact not being solid. I hope i can fix this soon, as it is making my beloved iBook all most useless. Thanks for the thoughts though! ;)

- A

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty sure that NJ Transit considered that at one point, but shelved it about a year or two ago for some reason. It was to be the third part of the Newark Light Rail expansion.

At least, that's what Wikipedia says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Light_Rail

Also, on a side note, I've been working on a plan to expand Newark's light rail and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail into one massive light rail service covering major portions of Hudson, Bergen, Essex and Passaic Counties. The service would use the Orange Branch, the remains of the old Boonton Line, the Newark Industrial and the Harrison-Kingsland Branch Lines to connect Newark's service with the HBLR and provide service from Montclair to Hoboken and more points in between more frequently, and service from Harrison, Kearny and East Newark all the way up to Paterson and Lyndhurst, where it would connect with existing NJ Transit services.

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Whatever the status of official (NJT) projects related to these ideas, it would be a good idea to put these little or unused tracks/ROW for light rail.

- A

And if that happens, it shouldn't go wrong with another bridge (single span preferred) over the Newark Bay. But then again, the Coast Guard is a pain.

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail West Side Line does use the former CNJ Direct Line within Jersey City. On West Side Avenue you can see where it began elevating for the Newark Bay crossing.

That was a pretty serious bridge. I'm mad they took it down just because it wasn't being used at the time.

- A

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail West Side Line does use the former CNJ Direct Line within Jersey City. On West Side Avenue you can see where it began elevating for the Newark Bay crossing.
If you meant the way to the Newark Terminal, then yes. If you meant the way to Roselle Park, then no. The "Lower Bay Bridge" was actually between the Casciano Bridge and the Arthur Kill Bridge. I actually had a dream about its demolition, but didn't realize that it was the CNJ bridge. Yes, I used to think that the HBLR West Side line was the CNJ mainline, but I was wrong.

That was a pretty serious bridge. I'm mad they took it down just because it wasn't being used at the time.

- A

No, it was torn down b/c the US Coastal Guard declared it a Navigational Hazard. Not to mention, that shuttle was used on the south span until the very last day. The north span however had its lifting section removed b/c a German (not sure) ship had collided with the NW tower almost a decade earlier.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canmaps/1922/RR/CR-NJ-RY.html

That bridge was removed as well.

Up till the loop connection was cut (only real remnants is the bridge over NWK) CNJ trains left communipaw & traveled over the C&A ROW on that bridge, and then traveled south either onto the main line (current :rvl:), or continued onto C&A (later PRR) trackage and then turned east at rahway on what is today the :njc:.

The only active near-the-coast CNJ bridge is the one leading to elizabethport, its former terminal location. It is only used for freight. I believe i have some photos of covered hoppers sitting on the bridge taken from a :nec: train.

As you can see from the map, we've lost a lot of passenger service since those days.

- A

I bet that if CNJ electrified their routes or extended to NYC, they would've kept up with the passengers. I mean their routes traveled through some important places and it should've been quite worth it if there was a Cross Harbor Tunnel. By that, there could've even been a HBLR line going to Brooklyn.

I bet that if CNJ electrified their routes or extended to NYC, they would've kept up with the passengers. I mean their routes traveled through some important places and it should've been quite worth it if there was a Cross Harbor Tunnel. By that, there could've even been a HBLR line going to Brooklyn.

I dunno bout HBLR to brooklyn, but there would be the cross harbor freight tunnel at least.

Many passenger (and freight) rail expansion advocates (myself included) would like to see 50%-60% to 80% of old lines re-activated. Imagine a PA, a NY, a NJ where you don't need a car to live and work, imagine all 6400 line track miles of pre-merger track re-activated and pax stations re-opened, rebuilt, or renovated.

I mean, seriously, there was demand for rail travel, the people flocked to trains, if people vote for transit-positive people, and transit agencies, state and local governments, and amtrak advertised more, lowered fares, and so on, we'd be in a new golden age of rail.

It is reachable very, very easily, but only if we want it.

Cars should not be the standard mode of transportation. We don't have enough resources to use automobiles the way we are now. Lets get the trains running where they used to be, allow people to commute without using petroleum, put free wi-fi on trains, give people a real "what's in it for me" set of reasons to change.

We can do it.

- A

Archived