Line or Route?

mark1447

When talking to someone or thinking to youself(Or even talking to yourself lol) about getting in the NYCS system, Do you like to say routes as a Line or just keep it route? Or both?

Line(Ex): IRT Pelham, IRT White Plains Road, IND Queens Blvd, IND 8th Avenue, BMT Astoria , BMT Jamaica, etc, SIRT..

Routes(Ex): (1)(2)(3)(9)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(;)(C)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(W), etc...

Like instead of me saying, take the <6> Express to Hunts Point, I like to say take the Pelham Express to Hunts Point..or Take the Culver Local to Kings Highway instead of (F), Even tho it confused people who dunno transit well lol

Its Similar for MNCRR Saying Hudson Line or LIRR with Long Beach Branch..

If you know what I mean? lol

For me I like both! Tho If i was asked for a direction I would use route and not making hard for a person

How about you? :)

For me I'll get really specific so the person doesn't be lost or confused....so I'll say if someone want to get to Grand Central...I'll say "take a Downtown and Brooklyn bound (4)(5) or (6) train"....most ppl will understand that!

Well I know that. :) But for yourself/transit people? Im guess same thing?

Well I know that. :) But for yourself/transit people? Im guess same thing?

I've been riding the subway system since I was 11 yrs old....so I don't need anyone giving me directions unless its a railroad which is totally different from a subway. All I need is your subway stop and/or bus route and I'll figure out the rest. As for ppl other railfanners I'll use the suggestion I'll give a tourist or lost customer, but I'll use Canarise Line or BMT Atlantic Avenue if the station have the same name on the different side of that borough...but I get specific!

I've been riding the subway system since I was 11 yrs old....so I don't need anyone giving me directions unless its a railroad which is totally different from a subway. All I need is your subway stop and/or bus route and I'll figure out the rest. As for ppl other railfanners I'll use the suggestion I'll give a tourist or lost customer, but I'll use Canarise Line or BMT Atlantic Avenue if the station have the same name on the different side of that borough...but I get specific!

Actually i meant, would u keep saying routes to yourself and/or otther rfers, or use lines too.. =)

Depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm trying to convey. If it's directions, I keep it simple and use the routes. "How do I get to ___" "Take the uptown ___ train, and get off at ___"

The lines can come in handy when you need to be more specific with someone knowledgeable, ie "the stations along the West End really need rehab" is more specific and useful than "D line stations need rehab", to someone who knows what you're talking about. If they have no clue, there's always "the above ground Brooklyn D line stations need rehab"

When talking to the general public about where they need to go on the subway in NYC, you have to first be reminded that you are talking to a fellow New Yorker.

It goes something like this,

Customer: "Yo, you stop in Brooklyn?"

T/O: "You are in Brooklyn!"

Customer: "Whatta you a wise ass or something?"

T/O: "What part of Brooklyn you wanna go to?"

Customer: " Coney Island, this train stop there?"

T/O: "Well it's your lucky day guy, because if you turn around you will see that we are in Coney Island."

and so it goes. :confused:

When talking to the general public about where they need to go on the subway in NYC, you have to first be reminded that you are talking to a fellow New Yorker.

It goes something like this,

Customer: "Yo, you stop in Brooklyn?"

T/O: "You are in Brooklyn!"

Customer: "Whatta you a wise ass or something?"

T/O: "What part of Brooklyn you wanna go to?"

Customer: " Coney Island, this train stop there?"

T/O: "Well it's your lucky day guy, because if you turn around you will see that we are in Coney Island."

and so it goes. :confused:

Heh...ain't that the truth. Had someone standing on 42nd and Broadway ask me for directions to Times Square and I told them "turn around and look up, and you'll be there" :)

Also had someone ask "does this train go to 42nd street?" and I responded with "where are you trying to go on 42nd street?" and they come back with "42nd street" to which I say "ALL trains (i know they don't, but generalizing for the tourists) go to 42nd street, 42nd is a big street, unless you want to walk half an hour you need to tell me where you want to go!" finally he said he had no idea so it was just "get in" and shake my head....

Heh...ain't that the truth. Had someone standing on 42nd and Broadway ask me for directions to Times Square and I told them "turn around and look up, and you'll be there" :D

Also had someone ask "does this train go to 42nd street?" and I responded with "where are you trying to go on 42nd street?" and they come back with "42nd street" to which I say "ALL trains (i know they don't, but generalizing for the tourists) go to 42nd street, 42nd is a big street, unless you want to walk half an hour you need to tell me where you want to go!" finally he said he had no idea so it was just "get in" and shake my head....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only the (G) and (L) that don't have a stop on 42nd street, right? Tourists don't use those lines anyway.

Letter lines. I've been traveling on the subway since the day I was born and I've never seen a New York-born New Yorker say "the blue line or the red line." Instead, they all say take the (X) line to X station and then transfer to the (Y) train to get to point Y.

^ This isn't Boston. :D

Or DC or Chicago.

To be frank, we are the only US city that uses letters and numbers for each individual subway line to a full extent, as opposed to colours or destinations. Boston comes close to this, with the lettering for the Green Line, but then again, the Red, Blue and Orange lines aren't given letters or numbers.

As for this topic: I would almost NEVER call them routes. If I do not refer to them as "trains", I refer to them as lines. That's how almost everybody else in the world does it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only the (G) and (L) that don't have a stop on 42nd street, right? Tourists don't use those lines anyway.

The (G) doesnt go to Manhattan. (L) doesnt go to 42nd. None.

Not everyone is savvy with the subway like we are. We studied our history of the subway, we know how to get around, but do the tourists or any regular passenger know? Maybe not. So to make it easy for myself and them i'll just use the routes and what station they need to go to, and add whether they need to make a transfer or not to another route.

I typically refer to them by route...occasionally, though, I'll say "Pelham Express" as opposed to "6 Express". I only do this in order to streamline it...not many people know the names of the lines and it's easier for me to discuss by route. That way, whoever I'm talking to will know what I'm talking about.

When giving directions, I'll give the name of the route, along with the transfers and stations.

When talking about it in general, I'll use the older names, ie West End, Culver, Lex, etc. And I still refer to the (R) as the RR; force of habit.

To the mods: is there any chance we can get any of the older lines as smilies, more specifically, the double-lettered ones circa 1979?

Mods dont handle Similes, Admins yes. Make a topic here for request:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

I use routes most of the time unless there's some specifics needed. But I NEVER refer to the train as a "line" (ex it's the (Q) train not (Q) line) and certainly not refer to the routes/lines by color. Whenever a tourist asks me about a color train I'm always like which train? That is one of the biggest sins when referring to the subway

Growing up in Brooklyn in the '50s-60's era we never used the numbers or letters for the IRT or BMT trains. It was always the Brighton, Sea Beach,Myrtle or Broadway line. Broadway as in Jamaica line. The IRT was either the 7th Ave or Lexington Ave ,again, without numbers. The IND was either the 8th Ave or 6th Ave line which meant the (A) or the (D). This covered the associated local lines too. As kids we knew that the Brighton was the 1 or 7, B'way-Jamaica was 15 or B'way- Short line was the 14 because we picked it up from the adults and it was on the end signs but as a rule we still didn't use them. In the mid sixties the numbers and letters came into general use because of the newer equipment on the IRT and BMT. After the Chrystie St connection opened up is when the use of the letters and numbers became prevalent. The terms West End, Sea Beach, Brighton dropped off somewhat because Brighton was connected to 6th Ave and B'way Brooklyn and Jamaica. I can tell if I'm talking to an old-time Brooklynite, Johnny come lately or a tourist by the words they use when they ask for directions. No real New Yorker calls the 6th Ave Lines the Avenue of Americas train.

Archived