Line or Route?

mark1447

No real New Yorker calls the 6th Ave Lines the Avenue of Americas train.

Ive never heard anyone call it Avenue of Americas, new yorker or otherwise. It was a stupid name change to begin with, the numbered streets are easier to figure out.

Growing up in Brooklyn in the '50s-60's era we never used the numbers or letters for the IRT or BMT trains. It was always the Brighton, Sea Beach,Myrtle or Broadway line. Broadway as in Jamaica line. The IRT was either the 7th Ave or Lexington Ave ,again, without numbers. The IND was either the 8th Ave or 6th Ave line which meant the (A) or the (D). This covered the associated local lines too. As kids we knew that the Brighton was the 1 or 7, B'way-Jamaica was 15 or B'way- Short line was the 14 because we picked it up from the adults and it was on the end signs but as a rule we still didn't use them. In the mid sixties the numbers and letters came into general use because of the newer equipment on the IRT and BMT. After the Chrystie St connection opened up is when the use of the letters and numbers became prevalent. The terms West End, Sea Beach, Brighton dropped off somewhat because Brighton was connected to 6th Ave and B'way Brooklyn and Jamaica. I can tell if I'm talking to an old-time Brooklynite, Johnny come lately or a tourist by the words they use when they ask for directions. No real New Yorker calls the 6th Ave Lines the Avenue of Americas train.

Hey, do you remember when the Culver line connected to the 4th Avenue line and used the 9th Avenue LL? I'm not talking about the Culver Shuttle, I'm talking about when You could go From Coney Island to 36th street (and beyond) via Culver. And was the Culver running 4th Avenue express or local? Do you remember the West End Express? What was your reaction when they made the connection to the from Church to Ditmas? Did you like the new route?

No real New Yorker calls the 6th Ave Lines the Avenue of Americas train.

PREACH brother PREACH...that's like when anyone refers to NYC as the Big Apple = tourist. Plus someone needs to get the memo out than NYC is FIVE boro's not one, I'm getting sick of this "we're staying in Brooklyn, but we've been going into the city every day" type crap that tourists, out of towners who moved here, and yuppies keep spewing.

Growing up in Brooklyn in the '50s-60's era we never used the numbers or letters for the IRT or BMT trains. It was always the Brighton, Sea Beach,Myrtle or Broadway line. Broadway as in Jamaica line. The IRT was either the 7th Ave or Lexington Ave ,again, without numbers. The IND was either the 8th Ave or 6th Ave line which meant the (A) or the (D). This covered the associated local lines too. As kids we knew that the Brighton was the 1 or 7, B'way-Jamaica was 15 or B'way- Short line was the 14 because we picked it up from the adults and it was on the end signs but as a rule we still didn't use them. In the mid sixties the numbers and letters came into general use because of the newer equipment on the IRT and BMT. After the Chrystie St connection opened up is when the use of the letters and numbers became prevalent. The terms West End, Sea Beach, Brighton dropped off somewhat because Brighton was connected to 6th Ave and B'way Brooklyn and Jamaica. I can tell if I'm talking to an old-time Brooklynite, Johnny come lately or a tourist by the words they use when they ask for directions. No real New Yorker calls the 6th Ave Lines the Avenue of Americas train.

man u must be the oldest T/O around here ;). U know your stuff, god bless ya man!!

Just curious did people used to call lines by there branch too? Like Dyre Avenue or Astoria line?

PREACH brother PREACH...that's like when anyone refers to NYC as the Big Apple = tourist. Plus someone needs to get the memo out than NYC is FIVE boro's not one, I'm getting sick of this "we're staying in Brooklyn, but we've been going into the city every day" type crap that tourists, out of towners who moved here, and yuppies keep spewing.

Yeah, that pisses me off. How can you head to the city if you're already IN THE CITY??? Weird.

Plus someone needs to get the memo out than NYC is FIVE boro's not one, I'm getting sick of this "we're staying in Brooklyn, but we've been going into the city every day" type crap that tourists, out of towners who moved here, and yuppies keep spewing.

Yeah, that pisses me off. How can you head to the city if you're already IN THE CITY??? Weird.

I beg to differ. From NYCTF's sister site, Talk New York:

"You know you're from NY when...

1.You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan."

It's number one on the list.

Hey, do you remember when the Culver line connected to the 4th Avenue line and used the 9th Avenue LL? I'm not talking about the Culver Shuttle, I'm talking about when You could go From Coney Island to 36th street (and beyond) via Culver. And was the Culver running 4th Avenue express or local? Do you remember the West End Express? What was your reaction when they made the connection to the from Church to Ditmas? Did you like the new route?

That's before my time, I'll have to ask Mom or my uncles about that. I rode the BMT #7, Brighton-Franklin to Ebbetts Field and Coney Island though. They rode the BMT Fulton line to downtown Brooklyn back in the day. When I came along it only ran from Rockaway Ave to Lefferts Blvd.

I beg to differ. From NYCTF's sister site, Talk New York:

"You know you're from NY when...

1.You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan."

It's number one on the list.

I still call BS on that. That's a yuppie elitist Manhattan thing. Like the rest of the boro's don't count (well, OK maybe staten island doesn't count ;))

Signed\

-Someone who lives in Manhattan

I still call BS on that. That's a yuppie elitist Manhattan thing.

I do it from time to time. And I live in Queens. I guess you're right though; I don't call Manhattan "the city" that often.

Like the rest of the boro's don't count (well, OK maybe staten island doesn't count :D)

No it doesn't. How did Jersey win that war... ;)

To be frank, we are the only US city that uses letters and numbers for each individual subway line to a full extent, as opposed to colours or destinations.

What about San Fransico? F Market Street, J Church, K Inglsdale, L Taraval, M Ocean View, and N Judah. They use Letters as well as colors for these routes too.

I love this thread, and all of you are 100% dead on spot. Like what's been said... a "LINE" refers to something like the Culver Line, or Brighton Line. The (E) is a train, NOT a line. I remember last year when I hung out with this chick who had moved here, lived here for over a year and still called (E) a "line." I'm like, listen woman... this is the Queens Boulevard LINE, on which the (E)(F)(G)(R) and (V) trains run.

I remember my man from Florida came up to visit for a week, and I was telling him how to get back to Manhattan where he was staying on by hitching the (E), and he goes.... "oh, the blue train?" Yeah. The blue train.

I guess in general, it's funky to see tourists when you gotta ride through what I call the "midtown bottleneck." I love the confusion of total subway virgins, the funniest of which are Americans from other regions visiting, 'cos they have absolutely no sense of how to use a transit system. Tourists might not really use the (L) train, but it's filled with goofy trust-fund children who mostly vacate at the Bedford stop. I love taking my sweet time and walking up the staircase at that station nice and slow, so I can watch all these goofwads pass me left and right, walking like they have a banana up their a$$. You're from Minnesota and you don't have a real job, settle down there bro. (Haha, I know I'm being really rude and generalizing, I know plenty of real people who live around there.)

As for referring to only Manhattan as "the city", that is a total Long Island thing, and to a degree a Queens thing, from people I know up in Whitestone/Queens Vil/Bayside and all those neighborhoods. I've always just thought of Brooklyn as Brooklyn, and Queens as Queens, and both are awesome for their own reasons. I remember some old episode of Law & Order where Brisco (RIP) was like, "Why the hell would you live in Manhattan? Whattya think they built all the bridges and tunnels for?"

I love this thread, and all of you are 100% dead on spot. Like what's been said... a "LINE" refers to something like the Culver Line, or Brighton Line. The (E) is a train, NOT a line. I remember last year when I hung out with this chick who had moved here, lived here for over a year and still called (E) a "line." I'm like, listen woman... this is the Queens Boulevard LINE, on which the (E)(F)(G)(R) and (V) trains run.

I remember my man from Florida came up to visit for a week, and I was telling him how to get back to Manhattan where he was staying on by hitching the (E), and he goes.... "oh, the blue train?" Yeah. The blue train.

I guess in general, it's funky to see tourists when you gotta ride through what I call the "midtown bottleneck." I love the confusion of total subway virgins, the funniest of which are Americans from other regions visiting, 'cos they have absolutely no sense of how to use a transit system. Tourists might not really use the (L) train, but it's filled with goofy trust-fund children who mostly vacate at the Bedford stop. I love taking my sweet time and walking up the staircase at that station nice and slow, so I can watch all these goofwads pass me left and right, walking like they have a banana up their a$$. You're from Minnesota and you don't have a real job, settle down there bro. (Haha, I know I'm being really rude and generalizing, I know plenty of real people who live around there.)

As for referring to only Manhattan as "the city", that is a total Long Island thing, and to a degree a Queens thing, from people I know up in Whitestone/Queens Vil/Bayside and all those neighborhoods. I've always just thought of Brooklyn as Brooklyn, and Queens as Queens, and both are awesome for their own reasons. I remember some old episode of Law & Order where Brisco (RIP) was like, "Why the hell would you live in Manhattan? Whattya think they built all the bridges and tunnels for?"

Couldn have said it better myself:tup: and you're right about the city being a long island thing (that Im occasionally guilty of) but if I'm going to manhattan I usually say manhattan not the city

I use both. In fact, I still use one very old name: the (4)(5) and (6) are the Lexington-Fourth Avenue I.R.T..

I like the Brooklyn names also: The West End; Brighton; Culver; Sea Beach; Fourteenth Street-Canarsie Line.

One thing I like about New York is the terminology:

IND. B.M.T.

Concourse Local

Sixth Avenue Express

Brighton Express

(:)

I.R.T.

Third Avenue El

70(8)

Archived