Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry

Alstom/Kawasaki R160 cars

The new Alstom/Kawasaki R160 subway cars seem to doing a good job of eliminating the commuter door jamming that plagued the R68 (pictured above) cars.

Every time I wait for a Manhattan bound "N" train on the 36th Street station in Brooklyn, I hope for a R160 train to come. Also by eliminating the horizontal seats between the doors, commuter door jamming is reduced even more allowing commuters to spread out into the car more easily and comfortably.

I can't wait until the R68's are eventually phased out completely which probably won't happened for awhile.

The R160 train sets also make a high pitched whining sound when traveling in the tunnels. Also, when running thru curves the tend to jerk around a lot more than the R68, R40 & R32 cars.

That always happens. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. For me, finding the r160s aren't that hard. They always come by while I'm waiting for a 7 train.

r68s won't retire soon. This is MTA's checklist for trains in 2010

r68/a

r143

r160

r44

r46

r68s won't retire soon.

What do you know about the R68's on how much longer will they be using them?

I really wish they would move them over to the D/Q lines and completely remove them off the N line.

I really wish they would move them over to the D/Q lines and completely remove them off the N line.

Great stick us with them.

Well, the good side is, that the r160s will completely wipe out the r42, and r68 on the Broadway line and they will be sent to the W and B. That will wipe out the r4? population and all trains will now be "modern"

As of now, during weekdays, an R160 train on the (N) will come at about every 30 mins or so. BTW, the R160B (Siemens Set) is testing on the Sea Beach express track.

Here's a vid....

And a few pics....

DSC02050.jpg

And then an R160B set in revenue service next to the testing train at Fort Hamilton Parkway.

DSC02051.jpg

What do you know about the R68's on how much longer will they be using them?

The R68/R68As were built between 1986 and 1989, so they'll be around for 15-20 years more.

The R68/R68As were built between 1986 and 1989, so they'll be around for 15-20 years more.

Thank you.

So they are not going anywhere anytime soon. They arent that bad anyway.

So they are not going anywhere anytime soon. They arent that bad anyway.

There just going on another line, thats all. Dunno which lines though but the R160s are definately going on the (N) and (Q) lines so the R68/As will definately have to go, unless that changes.

Hi everone and I was a bus operater and almost became train operater but something happen but the R160 was made to take out almost all R32, with the R38, slant R40 and some R42 the rest will behold in some up service wear need and one thing the Kawasaki is runing late all cars sured be up but that is the way NYCTA MTA is done. Mario

R160s blow. I love how all the T/Os now are coming up with wrist problems because of the R160s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.