Stranded

After a rough day at the city, I took the PATH from 33rd St to Pavonia/Newport to meet up with my mom before we head home. Originally, we were going to take the train from Hoboken to Lyons, but my father intercepted and took off to pick us up. Out of nowhere, the storm started again and stranded me in the Newport Center Mall. The passing trains on the HBLR drained out most of my boredom. Those Kinkis sure accelerate fast.

Here are my pictures from the Mall Bridge and the station:

p7290026.jpg

p7290027.jpg

p7290028.jpg

p7290029.jpg

p7290030.jpg

p7290032.jpg

p7290033.jpg

p7290034.jpg

p7290041.jpg

p7290044.jpg

p7290045.jpg

Videos:

Nice stuff, should have gone one stop to Hoboken Terminal and shot there if you were getting bored in the mall!

I never knew that anyone was railfanning that yesterday. I was doing it b/c I wanted capture the dark atmosphere. When the PATH got suspended to Newark, I should've taken a free train from Hoboken to Newark just to capture some dark views of Lower Hack and Dock.

I never knew that anyone was railfanning that yesterday. I was doing it b/c I wanted capture the dark atmosphere. When the PATH got suspended to Newark, I should've taken a free train from Hoboken to Newark just to capture some dark views of Lower Hack and Dock.

I shot the storms from work, no railfanning for me yesterday:(. (Went out today though)

I love terminals in any kind of dark weather, some how when you stand in Newark Penn or Hoboken Terminal when its rainy your senses are heightened such as the bells seem better, the smells of diesel fuel , everything comes together oh and it can make for some awesome shots too!

I shot the storms from work, no railfanning for me yesterday:(. (Went out today though)

I love terminals in any kind of dark weather, some how when you stand in Newark Penn or Hoboken Terminal when its rainy your senses are heightened such as the bells seem better, the smells of diesel fuel , everything comes together oh and it can make for some awesome shots too!

Yea, especially when automobile traffic starts to dwindle. I've been to hoboken terminal 2 times at night, and nwk hundreds of times at night, and in the winter especially when it gets dark earlier nwk really comes alive, all the interior & exterior lights come on, all those amtrak & njt trains, some diesel, excluding the pl42ac they generally make their presence known even if you're on the street near the station. Too many people sadly get lost in whatever's going on in their own life & are unable to appreciate these massive machines. Hoboken has the old terminal building, those old fashioned lights & the tower.... Then you have trains coming in passenger car (cab) first like in the steam era.... It's all most magic.;)

Thanks everyone! If it wasn't for the storm, I would've probably taken a lot less. The food at that mall was pretty good, but everything else was boring.

I was out walking from the light rail station to staples when the rain started, by the time we got to my girlfriend's place in bayonne her basement appt was flooded a few inches & i stayed from ~4 pm to around 9:20 just getting the place useable as a home. Had to use a pump, shop vac, all kinds of stuff & it's thankfully all most back to normal today, just some wet carpet to take care of.

The lightning, wind & sheer amount of rain left many people at staples just staring out the storefront windows in awe. Neither of us had an umbrella so she got one for each of us that they had up front on a stand. On the way back on the light rail we saw really serious flooding & started to brace ourselves mentally for what might lay in store for us. Later the BFD had the light rail shut off below LSP station to run lines across the tracks to drain the areas we saw flooded into the bay, then the PATH trains stopped because of what i later saw to be downed trees (confirmed by a note handed out by PA employee at WTC on thurs). This combination basically meant i had no way to get to the train station to get home by myself, so her dad gave me a ride after the situation was mostly under control & floors dry.

& yea the food there is better than a lot of "sit down" restaurants i've been to, lot of non-junk variety too. Cheap movies also at the 11 screen theater! :cool: Too bad the roof leaks in spots!

- A

Archived