Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Maserati7200

Are The Tiles In 5th Avenue 53rd Street Original?

I was just thinking about 5th Avenue 53rd street and I realized that it's tile doesn't look like the typical IND tile, it looks more like something from the 60's/70's. Similar to the 70's tiles at 4th Avenue local stations. But I checked the station page at nycsubway.org and I could not find any pictures of the tile that looked different. There are some pictures there from the 60's but it doesn't show the walls with tiles. I'm now thinking that it may be similar to Lex/53 where there is no tile at all, and the tiles no at at 5th/53rd were installed years later. Maybe someone here knows more about that, thanks.

The tiles are not oringinal , the station had a renovation in the 70's in which they added red tiles and those metal things around the ceiling.

The tiles are not oringinal , the station had a renovation in the 70's in which they added red tiles and those metal things around the ceiling.

What was there before? Bare concrete like at Lex and 53rd?

No, there was IND like tiling there, but it is hard to find old pics of it on the internet. If you are on a soutbound train, look to the left as the train leaves the station. You will see a quick glimpse of the old marine green tile in the tower.

Check out this page: http://www.nycsubway.org/articles/indcolor.html

Ah, ok. But according to you're link 5th Avenue/53rd street had a red tile band, not green.

Check the footnote: "Replacement tiles. Original tiles were marine green upstairs, maroon downstairs"

The station was renovated for the opening of the 63rd st tunnel ((F)). The 3 stations in a row have similar styling, it being "modern". In the era of plastic wood, cream, beige, brown and orange and disco they tried to refresh some of the dated looks for the new tunnel opening. Honestly it would have been cool when new, but now it looks "try-hard" and tired. I wouldn't mind giving the modern design stations an eco-friendly overhaul, especially getting the dust and mold out.

- A

The station was renovated for the opening of the 63rd st tunnel ((F)). The 3 stations in a row have similar styling, it being "modern". In the era of plastic wood, cream, beige, brown and orange and disco they tried to refresh some of the dated looks for the new tunnel opening. Honestly it would have been cool when new, but now it looks "try-hard" and tired.

Are you talking about the decor that's in the 34th street/Herald Square mezzanine? I'm not a big fan of that either.

You can see the original tiles in the tower room at the end of the Manhattan bound platform.

The tiles were actually white glazed brick, like they have on parts of the Concourse line. I thought I remembered the band beling blue-violet.

The new tiles are from the 80's.

The 70's treatment isn't very attractive