Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Transportation Management

Are they any members on this forum that want to get into the MTA with a job in management. There seems to be quite a few members here that are finishing college and would be perfect for management associate positions.

I always wanted to have a career in transportation management but it didn't happen that way. ;)

I always wanted to have a career in transportation management but it didn't happen that way. :(
You still have time ;)

Well, I'm to young to do anything, but I think it would be great if any (MTA) managers have an account on this forum so they could hear stuff we have to say. Just my $0.02

Eventhough I am not from NYC, I would love to have a position in safety or operations with hopes of moving into some form of management with some major transit authority in the nation, or with an airline, yeah kinda weird.

Try for a management type job at the smaller transportation agencies, and then with any luck you can leap frog around, filling a resume, moving onto bigger operations, then make the move to the (MTA). If you look through all the top (MTA) brass, many have done time elsewhere..

Check out this site, they have a jobs section too..

http://www.masstransitmag.com/

Are they any members on this forum that want to get into the MTA with a job in management. There seems to be quite a few members here that are finishing college and would be perfect for management associate positions.:(

Personally, I'm just not all that into appointed positions in any type of agency: mayoral, gubernatorial, federal, etc. Virtually all of these agencies do not like people who "rock the boat," so to speak. Being appointed is almost like being on indefinite probation, and anything from an error in judgment to a poor impression on a superior can cause you to lose your position faster than you can imagine. And managers at (MTA) have to withstand a lot of negativity, both internally and externally (especially the press), from what I gather.

What power does the Chair/CEO actually have? Does he/she have veto rights? Is his/her authority absolute?

Are they any members on this forum that want to get into the MTA with a job in management. There seems to be quite a few members here that are finishing college and would be perfect for management associate positions.

I always wanted to have a career in transportation management but it didn't happen that way. :P

I DO!!!!...Im in my JR year of college I've always wanted to work in operations management for(MTA) or (NJT)

Managers do watch this site and others like it so everyone post gets looked at most don't post. I should know I use to get called out on stuff I posted.