Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R62A 1991

The Pennsylvanian

Next week Saturday, in order to get back home, and to you guys, I have to take the FULL route of the Pennyslvanian. All the way from Pittsburgh to NYP. We get two layovers, 15 minutes in Harrisburg, 30 minutes in Philly. (I'm not leaving the train for either). Although I might be sleeping for most of the trip, I'm intending to treat this as an official solo railfan trip. I heard that there's this part where the 3 rivers of Pennyslvania meet and stuff. Come to think of it, if anyone's had the chance to take this train before, or knows anything about it, you can post anything I should be on the look out for here. Just letting you guys know. Look for some pictures from the interior and of the good parts of Pennyslvania. I hope to return safe and sound. See you guys next Saturday!

I took this train several times when I was younger and it is a super long ride. Since the train heads east from the station, you won't see the 3 Rivers (Allegany, Monogalea [sp], and Ohio) meet. The rail line runs next to the East Busway its whole length. The train reverses direction at Philadelphia. In Philly, the NEC goes over Girard Avenue and the 15 trolley line and under the SEPTA market frankford line at Kensington Avenue.

I took this train several times when I was younger and it is a super long ride. Since the train heads east from the station, you won't see the 3 Rivers (Allegany, Monogalea [sp], and Ohio) meet. The rail line runs next to the East Busway its whole length. The train reverses direction at Philadelphia. In Philly, the NEC goes over Girard Avenue and the 15 trolley line and under the SEPTA market frankford line at Kensington Avenue.

Oh...so that's the rail line next to the East Busway. Thanks for telling me that one. I'll keep a look out for everything. Thanks, everyone! I'll use this thread for the pictures later.

Pictures from today! All were taken during the Pennsylvanian trip today.

Around Pittsburgh:

100_1249.jpg

100_1251.jpg

100_1255.jpg

Those are the only pics that I could get of the East Busway. Horseshoe Curve now:

100_1257.jpg

And along the way:

100_1266.jpg

100_1269.jpg

100_1279.jpg

The schedule along with my current iPod song for that moment:

100_1280.jpg

Freight:

100_1276.jpg

100_1278.jpg

100_1273.jpg

Trainz:

100_1274.jpg

Now for some pics of the train at Harrisburg:

100_1283.jpg

100_1285.jpg

100_1286.jpg

100_1287.jpg

100_1290.jpg

100_1291.jpg

Continuing on:

100_1292.jpg

100_1296.jpg

I didn't know we would hit SEPTA territory, so here's my first SEPTA shot:

100_1300.jpg

100_1302.jpg

100_1305.jpg

100_1307.jpg

And a few at Philly:

100_1315.jpg

100_1318.jpg

100_1316.jpg

100_1317.jpg

That's all. Hope you enjoyed. I'm back home now, so it's back to subway railfanning for me soon. That was an exhilarating ride.

Did you like the train stations? PRR built many of them the same, but with local variation.

- A