Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Amtrak7

TWU Local 100 Commercials

I've just recently started to hear TWU local 100 commercials on the radio. Here's the starting text:

"NYC transit workers have some of the most dangerous jobs in the city. We work in dark tunnels within inches of moving trains and the live third rail...."

It then continues on to say about the fact that they have to work weekends and that Bloomberg and Peter Kailikow don't know the truth. They want the leaders to stop bossing them around and investigate the "bloated, secret burucreacy" at the MTA.

Interesting how the union, who is partly responsible for the financial hardship of the MTA, is asking for reform. Anyone else heard these commercials?

I've just recently started to hear TWU local 100 commercials on the radio. Here's the starting text:

"NYC transit workers have some of the most dangerous jobs in the city. We work in dark tunnels within inches of moving trains and the live third rail...."

It then continues on to say about the fact that they have to work weekends and that Bloomberg and Peter Kailikow don't know the truth. They want the leaders to stop bossing them around and investigate the "bloated, secret burucreacy" at the MTA.

Interesting how the union, who is partly responsible for the financial hardship of the MTA, is asking for reform. Anyone else heard these commercials?

I also heard it yesterday while driving home during the rain storm. I didn't get to really listen to it though.

The blue collar workers don't cause the financial hardship that the MTA has dugged for itself. When I first joined the site I had that same mentality but as time went by I learned that the men and women that move us earn every penny they make. The problem lies with the MTA management. The salary they pay for their useless white collar jobs is overblown for the amount of work they do or rather, lack thereof. Most of the supervision below ground are doing the "same" work that line managers and superintendents are assigned to do, so here you have 2-3 layers of management. You then also have the amount of money that the MTA wastes to do "studies" to implement new service changes or new "features".

The blue collar workers don't cause the financial hardship that the MTA has dugged for itself. When I first joined the site I had that same mentality but as time went by I learned that the men and women that move us earn every penny they make. The problem lies with the MTA management. The salary they pay for their useless white collar jobs is overblown for the amount of work they do or rather, lack thereof. Most of the supervision below ground are doing the "same" work that line managers and superintendents are assigned to do, so here you have 2-3 layers of management. You then also have the amount of money that the MTA wastes to do "studies" to implement new service changes or new "features".

Well said, don't blame blue collar workers for America's problems!

That EXACT attitude is why we are in trouble. The "tone at the top" is that blue collar workers are worthless. No one appreciates their efforts. The so called "fearless leaders" take all the credit and NONE of the blame. Who's fault was it GM went down? The workers who went about their jobs and built the number of cars they were told to? Or the management that overexpanded, decided to tool factories to build outsized Hummers, and decided that Human Resources and lots and lots of managers and design managers and consultants were necessary to design cars, and decided that more cars = more money no matter how little demand there was for them?

The (MTA) is in financial trouble because your $2.25 fare is actually a ridiculous bargain. Fare box revenue doesn't even cover salaries. It is not profitable to run a passenger railroad which is why most of them if not all get state or federal funding of some kind. This is why the IRT and BMT were driven out of business. They couldn't make money. It's the nature of the game.

Management's job is to run the business. If the business fails, it's not on the workers.

Read the thread about Jay Walder already setting up his golden parachute for if he gets ousted from MTA's head position. You think if a T/O gets fired for running a red signal that he gets ANYTHING? Nope, back to unemployment and keep looking for a new job. Or demoted to cleaner, enjoy your new lower pay rate.

Meanwhile management salaries continue to go up and up. Well guess what I've got news for ALL of you.

You need blue collar workers. Who is going to provide your water, your electricity, clean your dishes when you go out, take and process your trash when you throw it out. Who is going to grow, harvest, or butcher your food. Lawyers and executives don't fix cars, make them, keep your internet going or your cable service up.

Bash the blue collar workers and you are bashing the people who are the front lines providing the very service you are using. Without them you are two steps out of the cave, incapable of providing for yourself. All others who also hold this "blame the blue collar guy attitude" could not POSSIBLY be more wrong if you tried, and it is this attitude that is daming our country to this self entitled BS which has led us down a long road of outsourcing, office jobs, and growing national debt. And it's NOT because of the blue collar guys that this has happened.

MTA workers want an independent party to look into their books because when they struck in 2005 and were told days before the deadline that "this is our final offer, "our coffers are empty beyond this" when they got raises less than most other city unions, that 2 days later when they struck, they somehow got MORE in negotiations. Well how is that possible if the coffers are empty? An independent look may reveal fraud, corruption, or bad apples in management that need to go. Most I'm sure are good people, but it would weed out the bad ones, and the workers want that.

So how is it their fault things are the way they are? They're not the ones that tied MTA subsidies to property tax revenues. They're the ones driving your buses and operating your trains, and repairing the tracks and infrastructure. And you want to blame THEM? BS.

That EXACT attitude is why we are in trouble. The "tone at the top" is that blue collar workers are worthless. No one appreciates their efforts. The so called "fearless leaders" take all the credit and NONE of the blame. Who's fault was it GM went down? The workers who went about their jobs and built the number of cars they were told to? Or the management that overexpanded, decided to tool factories to build outsized Hummers, and decided that Human Resources and lots and lots of managers and design managers and consultants were necessary to design cars, and decided that more cars = more money no matter how little demand there was for them?

The (MTA) is in financial trouble because your $2.25 fare is actually a ridiculous bargain. Fare box revenue doesn't even cover salaries. It is not profitable to run a passenger railroad which is why most of them if not all get state or federal funding of some kind. This is why the IRT and BMT were driven out of business. They couldn't make money. It's the nature of the game.

Management's job is to run the business. If the business fails, it's not on the workers.

Read the thread about Jay Walder already setting up his golden parachute for if he gets ousted from MTA's head position. You think if a T/O gets fired for running a red signal that he gets ANYTHING? Nope, back to unemployment and keep looking for a new job. Or demoted to cleaner, enjoy your new lower pay rate.

Meanwhile management salaries continue to go up and up. Well guess what I've got news for ALL of you.

You need blue collar workers. Who is going to provide your water, your electricity, clean your dishes when you go out, take and process your trash when you throw it out. Who is going to grow, harvest, or butcher your food. Lawyers and executives don't fix cars, make them, keep your internet going or your cable service up.

Bash the blue collar workers and you are bashing the people who are the front lines providing the very service you are using. Without them you are two steps out of the cave, incapable of providing for yourself. All others who also hold this "blame the blue collar guy attitude" could not POSSIBLY be more wrong if you tried, and it is this attitude that is daming our country to this self entitled BS which has led us down a long road of outsourcing, office jobs, and growing national debt. And it's NOT because of the blue collar guys that this has happened.

MTA workers want an independent party to look into their books because when they struck in 2005 and were told days before the deadline that "this is our final offer, "our coffers are empty beyond this" when they got raises less than most other city unions, that 2 days later when they struck, they somehow got MORE in negotiations. Well how is that possible if the coffers are empty? An independent look may reveal fraud, corruption, or bad apples in management that need to go. Most I'm sure are good people, but it would weed out the bad ones, and the workers want that.

So how is it their fault things are the way they are? They're not the ones that tied MTA subsidies to property tax revenues. They're the ones driving your buses and operating your trains, and repairing the tracks and infrastructure. And you want to blame THEM? BS.

Thank you, from well educated T/O who is old enough to see how the game is being played in all industries across the country today. Blue collar workers and unions are not the reason these companies and agencies are in trouble. No one that I know of has pulled a gun on these managers or captains of industry and robbed them. The workers have no desire to bankrupt their employers. It's the management at these agencies and companies who pull down these obscene salaries that cause these financial difficulties but it seems to be the workers who feel the wrath of the public.

No one that I know of has pulled a gun on these managers or captains of industry and robbed them. The workers have no desire to bankrupt their employers.

Well, there's a first for everything.

Well, there's a first for everything.

I don't get what you are trying to suggest. Even WERE a worker to point a gun to these managers, it's not like they'd get anything anyway, not like they actually carry cash around, it's all stored away soemwhere...

The blue collar guys are not behind MTA, or America's, problems. When the top 1% earners salaries have gone up an obscene amount the last 20 years and the middle class salaries have only gone up a mere fraction of that, this tells you all you need to know about the direction of the country and its (lack of) sustainability in the long run. Or maybe people here would like it to be more like some of the towns in India where there are a few very wealthy people living it up in royalty and a real massive ton of miserable starving peasants out in the streets.

Just reading some of the posts and newspaper articles lately makes me wonder about how knowledge is used by some people in the real world. I would bet that many of the ranters out there were raised and clothed by union workers and/or civil servants. Were taught by civil servants or union workers. Sent to schools of higher learning by the same people. Protected from crime or fire or unsanitary conditions by union members or civil servants. And YES, transported by the same people. Listened to daddy or mommy come home and complain about their bosses' stupidity or ineptitude at work. Now today those same children seem to side with the management against the working man or woman. Didn't they learn anything from their elders ? I guess the old folks were right, common sense isn't so common after all. Just my 2 cents.

Just reading some of the posts and newspaper articles lately makes me wonder about how knowledge is used by some people in the real world. I would bet that many of the ranters out there were raised and clothed by union workers and/or civil servants. Were taught by civil servants or union workers. Sent to schools of higher learning by the same people. Protected from crime or fire or unsanitary conditions by union members or civil servants. And YES, transported by the same people. Listened to daddy or mommy come home and complain about their bosses' stupidity or ineptitude at work. Now today those same children seem to side with the management against the working man or woman. Didn't they learn anything from their elders ? I guess the old folks were right, common sense isn't so common after all. Just my 2 cents.

THANK you. They all think unions are to blame for everything when unions are what PROTECT you from being the dreaded "employee at will." Employee at will means:

-You have a contract that says they can do what they want with you and can fire you at any time, with or without cause.

-You are given an annual salary, and that is your pay no matter how much or how little you work (mainly how much)

-You are not entitled to overtime pay, even though you have to work it. Since you are not hourly, you get less than "straight time" for your overtime, you get (are you ready for this?)...nothing.

-You have to do whatever they ask you to in the line of work, which may include undesired travel outside of your geographic region or reassigments (transit example: no (C) train for you to run today, so go to Philly and operate the Market-Frankfort line), or reporting what you did with every second of your company time

-If you quit you have to give advance notice. They do not have to give advance notice if you are to be fired or laid off.

-If you quit you have to tell them why you're quitting and where you are going. If they fire you they don't even have to tell you why.

-If you got a signing bonus you have to give it back if you quit or are fired before a certain time.

THAT's what no union gets you.

I blame schools and especially colleges. Colleges have this pretentious attitude of "future leaders of the world do not work union jobs" and they instill this in every kid, from the first time they take a history class about the first unions, and the impact of strikes. The workers are always the greedy guys who want more money and they are always depicted as unskilled. Management is the one that "just wants to run a company."

Of course, these same people educated that way are now in leadership positions and they *remember* what they've been taught by their UNION teachers (ironic, huh?) so they bone the workers because they can, because it means more $$ for them, because no one in the public cares when they do this, because like them everyone has been taught to think that "blue collar" means unskilled labor when it does not mean that.

Unions have their fair share of politics, BS, and people who should be straight up thrown out of leadership, decision making, or even input giving. But unions beat the alternatives of the "employee at will." If anything, American history proves throughout the last 200+ years that when you let business and management run wild, they become greedy little f**** that stiff their workers, take profits, abuse the system, and bribe legislation in their favor. When has their been accusations of WORKERS ever doing this? Almost never. Yet when negotiation time comes guess who gets blamed. Well when the unions are all gone and we are back to indentured servitude these easily led, college educated, under common sensed, miscreant jacka**es will realize what a monster they created in the end when they are working 80 hour weeks for $35,000 a year while someone that interviews them pulls down $4 million a year.

On that note Subwayguy, the hell with them and the horse they rode in on.

;):):cool: