How long?

BlastOButter42

How long do you folks think it'll be before all the old pre-1970s (R32, R40, and R42) are replaced? I know the R40s are almost all gone and the R32s are going, and the R42s aren't in great shape either, but not enough R160s are coming to replace all of them, right? According to the datasheet there are 536 R32/R40/R42s left, and according to Wikipedia there are 422 R160A/Bs left to be delivered, with possible option orders of 130 more on the R160As and 100 on the R160Bs, so I guess if the MTA does either of those option orders, then there would be about enough to retire all the oldest cars.

Wikipedia also says that the R179 order will replace the R44s starting in 2015, but they wouldn't do that if there were still older cars left, right? I thought the R44s would be around a while... What about the R46s and '68s? How long do you think before they're all gone?

Dont worry complation of this is next year somewhere. Maybe even 2011 depending on how progress is going. The R32s off 207th will be the last to retiree.

Im not in a rush for these to get out. I love these SMEE, not becuz of a rail fan window, but becuz its old and reminds me of the redbird(R32). Grow up part of my life with these cars.

How long do you folks think it'll be before all the old pre-1970s (R32, R40, and R42) are replaced? I know the R40s are almost all gone and the R32s are going, and the R42s aren't in great shape either, but not enough R160s are coming to replace all of them, right? According to the datasheet there are 536 R32/R40/R42s left, and according to Wikipedia there are 422 R160A/Bs left to be delivered, with possible option orders of 130 more on the R160As and 100 on the R160Bs, so I guess if the MTA does either of those option orders, then there would be about enough to retire all the oldest cars.

Wikipedia also says that the R179 order will replace the R44s starting in 2015, but they wouldn't do that if there were still older cars left, right? I thought the R44s would be around a while... What about the R46s and '68s? How long do you think before they're all gone?

ok, there are several things i should point out to you:

1. NEVER rely on Wikipedia for trivial and hard-to-track information like car delivery and retirement. that is why Fan Railer and I repeatedly revert unsourced edits, even if they appear to be true.

2. R160 Option II totals 1,662 cars, more than enough to retire all R32s-R42s and maybe some of the worst performing R44s as well.

3. Option II is set to be completed by Summer 2010, so that is when all pre R44 cars are expected to retire. all R32s/R40M/42s at Jamaica are set to go by the end of this year, the 50 R42s at ENY will retire in the Spring, and the 200 R32s at 207th Street will retire next summer.

4. when a new car is delivered, it cannot entire service until after extensive testing, so the amount of R32s-R42s left will never be equal to the amount of R160s yet to be delieved.

5. the R179 order has not even started, so let's not talk about that. all we know is that they are set to replace the R44s and possibly R46s, but exactly when is not yet known.

6. the R68/68As are staying here until at least 2025.

7. do not rely on that subway car datasheet because it is not 100% accurate.

i hope what i said helps.

I'll have to agree with FlushingExpress with this one with reason being that Wikipedia is foamer city, always has been. They will tweak the article to its favoring and will disregard any facts. As for the datasheet I barely even pay any attention to that thing because the ones who maintain it don't even know what's going on half the time. I rode the R160 9800 series (9803-9812, now the highest cars in service) with other railfans on the (E) line all afternoon until the early evening. The datasheet doesn't even reflect the changes.

To be honest, I was at 207th Street yard, and they're already scrapping some R44s in there...

Those R44s were sitting there for years already because they got involved in an accident of some sort. As much as it was a beauty to see R44s on the death track, the rest of the fleet are not being scrapped yet.

ok, there are several things i should point out to you:

1. NEVER rely on Wikipedia for trivial and hard-to-track information like car delivery and retirement. that is why Fan Railer and me repeatedly revert unsourced edits, even if they appear to be true.

But u edit stuff at Wikipedia for NYCT, so now we should deny looking there? hmmm... Plus its not NEVER, its sometimes, cuz wikipedia is half half

1. They will retire the cars whose conditions are horrible enough that they are no longer suitable for revenue service. A great number of R42s and R40s are in this category. A few R32s belong in this category as well. These cars will be retired by Quarter 4 of this year, the first quarter of next year at the latest. Remaining R32s will sit around till around the fourth quarter of next year.

2. There will be enough cars to retire the remaining SMEEs. Consider this, there will be 1,662 R160s. There are 1,600 SMEEs when they were built. All the switcharoos and swaps made in the past 2 years cloud up the image. Some cars that should've retired have not been retired yet, that's why you would think there are not enough cars to replace the SMEEs.

3. Don't believe what Wikipedia says. All information there either derives from here or foam. I rather you check here first before checking there.

4. The R179 order is a PROPOSED order by the MTA. It is neither being built nor ordered at the current moment. It is slated to retire the R44s only. A further option may retire the R46s, but who knows. Save this thread for 10 years and you will get your answers to this question.

5. The R68s won't be gone for a long while... Count on another 20-30 years at least.

All right, gosh. I just wanted to invite a little speculation -- it's not like I'm relying on Wikipedia for a book about the subway system or anything. And that's why I asked here in the first place.

MTR and FlushingExpress, you guys seem to know what you're talking about -- so the end of next year at the latest? That's good to hear. Particularly for the R32s...I hate riding in them, whether or not they're in better condition overall than newer cars. Also, what does SMEE mean?

All right, gosh. I just wanted to invite a little speculation -- it's not like I'm relying on Wikipedia for a book about the subway system or anything. And that's why I asked here in the first place.

MTR and FlushingExpress, you guys seem to know what you're talking about -- so the end of next year at the latest? That's good to hear. Particularly for the R32s...I hate riding in them, whether or not they're in better condition overall than newer cars. Also, what does SMEE mean?

SMEE is actually a braking system, but railfanner these days use it to classify cars with this technology that are built in the 1960s. These constitute all the IND/BMT cars from the R32s to the R42s. The IRT Redbirds are also SMEEs as they have this technology as well. It stands for "Straight-air Motor Electric Emergency" from what I understand.

yeah, wiki is sometimes a bit inacurate, depending on who's screwing around with the edit button (sometimes overjoyous foamer, othertimes, pesimistic critics who get rid of even accurate info.)

example: i've seen these messups lately

*R160s on the D because some idiot saw that vid of the Out of service train going to concourse for a shower and didn't read the vid description

*someone repeatedly putting up that there are 6 r32's preserved, i reverted that twice.

*people are always messing with assignment info

*someone getting rid of useful delivery information on the R160 pages because they don't think that the sources provided are good enough (apparently they don't take the subway often)

and since anyone can edit, people arent usually careful of grammar and spacing issues, so sometimes, page format can get a bit sloppy.

SMEE is actually a braking system, but railfanner these days use it to classify cars with this technology that are built in the 1960s. These constitute all the IND/BMT cars from the R32s to the R42s. The IRT Redbirds are also SMEEs as they have this technology as well. It stands for "Straight-air Motor Electric Emergency" from what I understand.
Close, it's S -> Straight Air M -> Motor car equipment E -> Emergency E -> Electropneumatic.

SMEE is an "air brake schedule designation" made up by WABCO. A schedule is basically a parts list.

1. They will retire the cars whose conditions are horrible enough that they are no longer suitable for revenue service. A great number of R42s and R40s are in this category. A few R32s belong in this category as well. These cars will be retired by Quarter 4 of this year, the first quarter of next year at the latest. Remaining R32s will sit around till around the fourth quarter of next year.

2. There will be enough cars to retire the remaining SMEEs. Consider this, there will be 1,662 R160s. There are 1,600 SMEEs when they were built. All the switcharoos and swaps made in the past 2 years cloud up the image. Some cars that should've retired have not been retired yet, that's why you would think there are not enough cars to replace the SMEEs.

3. Don't believe what Wikipedia says. All information there either derives from here or foam. I rather you check here first before checking there.

4. The R179 order is a PROPOSED order by the MTA. It is neither being built nor ordered at the current moment. It is slated to retire the R44s only. A further option may retire the R46s, but who knows. Save this thread for 10 years and you will get your answers to this question.

5. The R68s won't be gone for a long while... Count on another 20-30 years at least.

1. By the end of 2009 early 2010 All of the SMEE's out of Jamaica YD will be retired and their last line Will be the (V), ether R32's or R42's I say that because Jamaica has been sending some R32's to the scraplines as well 3756/57 they just sent to 207th and Its right in front of the Barn.

2. 207th st R32's will stay until 2010, A TA worker told me that 50 R32's will go to ENY for Rush Hour (J)/(Z) service to replace the crappy R42's over there and a T/O on this site even said there's talk of that Happening,

3. There are Rumors acordding to My sources and A Freind that has Way Better Sources than me that the MTA is Going on with Option III but we will have to wait and see,

MTR, I keep on telling you those R160's are not replaceing all the SMEE's, 382 cars can't replace the whole entire R42/R32 fleet the R40M's are basicly Replaced by Option I R160's (in Paper because the contract said Remaining Phase II R32's All R38 and All R40/R40A both Slant and Mod to be replaced by the Option Order I cars and a Few R42 sets 30 cars) but instead they just replacing currently R40M/42 mixes but more Mods are being replaced than R42's Option Order II is Replacing ALL R42 Equipment but there isaleast 211 R42's in service and 30-40 R40M's in service, Most of the Phase I R32 cars you got 4-5 More R160A Op I cars to go and you have 258 R32's in serice 206 at 207th st and 52 at Jamaica , After August 31st, Jamaica is going to have to borrow some equipment or unmothball some R32's or R42 or figure out something or keep the SMEE's until the next 50 r160's come in to keep service running because they don't have enough cars to full the gap,

211 R42's,30-40 R40M's and 258 R32's

the R32's are has the Biggest Fleet out of the SMEE's

And 32 R160A-1's can't replace all 50 SMEE's, Like I told you before.

As For Jamaica we will have to figure out what will be the last SMEE out of Jamaica.

If they did do Option Order III It would basicly replace the Remaining R32's and take out the Bad R44's and Also an additional 32 4-car sets will go to ENY for replace he remaining SMEE fleet and for service increses by the way They are still going to SMS the R44's that's why they were on that Track at the Ave X yard, They already have a contractor to do the Rusting strips on the R44's.

good to hear they are considering option III.

does your friend know (if they do want to go ahead with the order) when we will know (the official announcement with the placement of the order)?

and i think the R44's will look neat with the SMS treatment.

3. There are Rumors acordding to My sources and A Freind that has Way Better Sources than me that the MTA is Going on with Option III but we will have to wait and see,

MTR, I keep on telling you those R160's are not replaceing all the SMEE's, 382 cars can't replace the whole entire R42/R32 fleet the R40M's are basicly Replaced by Option I R160's (in Paper because the contract said Remaining Phase II R32's All R38 and All R40/R40A both Slant and Mod to be replaced by the Option Order I cars and a Few R42 sets 30 cars) but instead they just replacing currently R40M/42 mixes but more Mods are being replaced than R42's Option Order II is Replacing ALL R42 Equipment but there isaleast 211 R42's in service and 30-40 R40M's in service, Most of the Phase I R32 cars you got 4-5 More R160A Op I cars to go and you have 258 R32's in serice 206 at 207th st and 52 at Jamaica , After August 31st, Jamaica is going to have to borrow some equipment or unmothball some R32's or R42 or figure out something or keep the SMEE's until the next 50 r160's come in to keep service running because they don't have enough cars to full the gap,

As For Jamaica we will have to figure out what will be the last SMEE out of Jamaica.

If they did do Option Order III It would basicly replace the Remaining R32's and take out the Bad R44's and Also an additional 32 4-car sets will go to ENY for replace he remaining SMEE fleet and for service increses by the way They are still going to SMS the R44's that's why they were on that Track at the Ave X yard, They already have a contractor to do the Rusting strips on the R44's.

Explain this: 1,600 (even less, due to scrappign and accidents) SMEEs built and the 1,662 planned. How are there not enough? The view is currently clouded because of the switcharoos that have been taking place. If the MTA had retired everything according to its original plan, all SMEEs would have been replaced by the R160s. The base order called for the retirement of the 10 R32 GEs, the CI R42s, the slants and the R38s. The first option order would have replaced the remaining R32s (phase 1 and phase 2), the second option would have replaced all remaining R40s and R42s, with extra cars But from 2007-2009: this much was done: a few phase-1s were retired, all phase-2s are out of the way, the R38s retired, the 10 GEs are gone, the CI rebuilds have been taken care of and finally the slants have just received the lid on their coffin. The thing is, the R160s don't replace the SMEEs by a train-by-train process. A few cars here and there will get taken OOS, a few sets of R160s would enter at random times. It is only now that the R160s are replacing them one-by-one. If you do the math correctly, you would realise that there are more than enough cars to replace the SMEEs. With all of that said, let's not have "R160 Third Option Order speculation" talk envelope into a war. We're discussing SMEE retirement, AFAIK, not third option order feasibilities. Don't bring us there.

Explain this: 1,600 (even less, due to scrappign and accidents) SMEEs built and the 1,662 planned. How are there not enough? The view is currently clouded because of the switcharoos that have been taking place. If the MTA had retired everything according to its original plan, all SMEEs would have been replaced by the R160s. The base order called for the retirement of the 10 R32 GEs, the CI R42s, the slants and the R38s. The first option order would have replaced the remaining R32s (phase 1 and phase 2), the second option would have replaced all remaining R40s and R42s, with extra cars But from 2007-2009: this much was done: a few phase-1s were retired, all phase-2s are out of the way, the R38s retired, the 10 GEs are gone, the CI rebuilds have been taken care of and finally the slants have just received the lid on their coffin. The thing is, the R160s don't replace the SMEEs by a train-by-train process. A few cars here and there will get taken OOS, a few sets of R160s would enter at random times. It is only now that the R160s are replacing them one-by-one. If you do the math correctly, you would realise that there are more than enough cars to replace the SMEEs. With all of that said, let's not have "R160 Third Option Order speculation" talk envelope into a war. We're discussing SMEE retirement, AFAIK, not third option order feasibilities. Don't bring us there.

Basically the MTA delayed the retirement process because many of the older cars still have life in them. But if the MTA did not overhaul the SMEEs then there may have been a possibility that none of the SMEES would see 40 years old; they all would have been gone by the beginning of the new millennium. As for R160 option 3, I really don't see why that can't be discussed because the person who started this thread stated that the R44s may be replaced by the R179s. The fact is, the R44s are in bad shape and they may just as well retire the worst of the R44s. But the R179 order hasn't even been exercised yet. And since everything that 3838 has been saying for the past two months has happened as per his inside sources (such as the SMEES coming to the (V)), I don't see why this can't be discussed to a certain extent.

1. By the end of 2009 early 2010 All of the SMEE's out of Jamaica YD will be retired and their last line Will be the (V), ether R32's or R42's I say that because Jamaica has been sending some R32's to the scraplines as well 3756/57 they just sent to 207th and Its right in front of the Barn.

2. 207th st R32's will stay until 2010, A TA worker told me that 50 R32's will go to ENY for Rush Hour (J)/(Z) service to replace the crappy R42's over there and a T/O on this site even said there's talk of that Happening,

The only i'll believe that the R32 are going to ENY is when i see it for myself.

A question: If the MTA was going to replace all the 60' SMEE's, why did they not order enough 4-car sets for ENY to push out the remaining R42's there?

I mean why does ENY have to wait for another option order of the 4-car sets when they should've gotten all the R160A's earlier?

And I know I've been told why: but they skipped numbers like 7191-7210, yet for the R160's they start the 5-car sets with 8653 than 8661 so all 10-car sets would start with a 1/6 and end with a 5/0 than starting with a 3/8 and ending with a 7/2. What's up with that?

But u edit stuff at Wikipedia for NYCT, so now we should deny looking there? hmmm... Plus its not NEVER, its sometimes, cuz wikipedia is half half

i only go there to revert unsourced edits that foamers make

yeah, wiki is sometimes a bit inacurate, depending on who's screwing around with the edit button (sometimes overjoyous foamer, othertimes, pesimistic critics who get rid of even accurate info.)

example: i've seen these messups lately

*R160s on the D because some idiot saw that vid of the Out of service train going to concourse for a shower and didn't read the vid description

*someone repeatedly putting up that there are 6 r32's preserved, i reverted that twice.

*people are always messing with assignment info

*someone getting rid of useful delivery information on the R160 pages because they don't think that the sources provided are good enough (apparently they don't take the subway often)

and since anyone can edit, people arent usually careful of grammar and spacing issues, so sometimes, page format can get a bit sloppy.

an admin told me that transit forums like subchat and amateur videos are not reliable sources to use on wikipedia.

there are enough R160s to retire all pre R44 cars. i refuse to believe anything u say until you provide a reliable source for it even though i would love to see R32s replace the R42s at ENY. i remember three years ago seeing R32s at that yard, but never understood why there were there. some photos of it are available at nycsubway.org

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?52033

A question: If the MTA was going to replace all the 60' SMEE's, why did they not order enough 4-car sets for ENY to push out the remaining R42's there?

I mean why does ENY have to wait for another option order of the 4-car sets when they should've gotten all the R160A's earlier?

And I know I've been told why: but they skipped numbers like 7191-7210, yet for the R160's they start the 5-car sets with 8653 than 8661 so all 10-car sets would start with a 1/6 and end with a 5/0 than starting with a 3/8 and ending with a 7/2. What's up with that?

ENY, Fresh Pond, and the Rockaway Parkway Yards have a surplus of R160As, so only 32 cars are needed to replace the rest of the R42s on the (J)(Z).

Basically the MTA delayed the retirement process because many of the older cars still have life in them. But if the MTA did not overhaul the SMEEs then there may have been a possibility that none of the SMEES would see 40 years old; they all would have been gone by the beginning of the new millennium. As for R160 option 3, I really don't see why that can't be discussed because the person who started this thread stated that the R44s may be replaced by the R179s. The fact is, the R44s are in bad shape and they may just as well retire the worst of the R44s. But the R179 order hasn't even been exercised yet. And since everything that 3838 has been saying for the past two months has happened as per his inside sources (such as the SMEES coming to the (V)), I don't see why this can't be discussed to a certain extent.

All of it is speculation. It's clearly obvious in terms of mathematics that there are enough R160s (in the current orders) to retire all SMEEs. Before the delivery of the R160s, there are less than 1,600 SMEEs, due to mishaps and other accidents. If you say 1,662 cars can't retire each and every one of them, that's like going up there and say that 5 is bigger than 6. I might as well say 10 is bigger than a hundred.

Regardless of the delayed retirements, there are still enough cars to retire them. There is also a surplus amount of cars since there are fewer than the original 1600 SMEEs. Also, count on the 60 something cars that are for extras.

As for the R44s, they are in shabby shape and the R179s will not arrive for another 5 or 10 years. But that doesn't mean the R160s will go on and retire them directly. Not does it require a third optional order. An SMS will suffice and should make them last till their retirement.

I refuse to believe an ounce of what he said until I see photographic proof. Whether it is true or not, I don't take what others say as true until I see tangible proof. And I do not regret it in the future, if it shows up as real.

The only i'll believe that the R32 are going to ENY is when i see it for myself.

IAWTP.

I;m just going to throw it out there. Up until they began retiring the R32-42 cars there were 1579 cars.

Exactly, mishaps and other accidents caused some cars to be scrapped early.

There are 50 R42s at ENY that need to be replaced. 32 R160As will go there. These new R160s will go to the L. All R160s currently on the L will go to the J to retire the R42s. It's a bit funky here.

Archived