Mike Bloomberg re-election ideas for mass transit/MTA in NYC for 2010-12

Shortline Bus

Mayor Bloomberg offered commuters a sweet campaign promise Monday: free crosstown buses on key routes notorious for their snail-like pace.

The idea is to avoid delays as riders fumble with change or MetroCards at the farebox.

As part of a revamp of the city's transportation system, Bloomberg also proposed installing countdown clocks to informing straphangers when the next train or bus is coming, expanding subway and train service in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, and helping motorists with speedier tolltaking.

Many of his ideas have been proposed by others before - including by his likely opponent, Controller William Thompson.

Bloomberg acknowledged he would have to rely on the bully pulpit to force the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to carry them out.

The first bus to switch to free rides would be the M50, which criss-crosses Manhattan on 49th and 50th Streets at a pace that often slower than the most relaxed pedestrian.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/03/2009-08-03_mayor_bloomberg_mulls_making_crosstown_buses_free_.html#ixzz0N9spTMX6

post-1290-13328858068_thumb.jpg

post-1290-13328858068_thumb.jpg

I can already set an over/under on the amount of promises he comes through on mentioned above at zero. I like how he can buy re-election and get anything he wants by having the city council assume the position. It is even better when Albany stonewalls this clown too, first congestion pricing and now mayoral control over schools.

I like the part about (F) express service, something that I believe is necessary during rush hours. (If you disagree with me, fine, but don't argue about because then this topic is just going to get closed) The question is, who is going to pay for all of this? I mean free crosstown busses? As a M57 rider, I wouldn't mind but I still don't see why it should be free.

According to Michael Bloomberg's campaign:

providing express service on the popular (F) line; providing “countdown clocks” that indicate when the next subway is arriving

So it looks like the (F) will have to be 100% for CTBC signalling, and I suspect the (F) line will be 100% R160 therefore the (E) will be R46/R160?

IMO installiing the TVM's at major bus stops citywide is much more realstic than most on the Bloomberg 'wish supermarket-type list.' The Mayor i think forgets that we in middle of a severe recession.

Also even if the crossstown buses were 'free' until, imo bus only lanes are created and most important enforced, things wont change as i am sure porky pig can walk faster along 42nd street during rush hour between 8th Avenue-5th Avenue than the M42 bus.:(

More crap from the self promoting mayor of the city that he can't back up. He doesn't run the (MTA), and last time I checked they were in financial trouble. If anything, Manhattan crosstown buses should LOSE their free transfers because they are never far enough to require you to not walk.

Don't like it, get an unlimited pass.

We're in a recession here. Vote this clown out of office, even if he's running against a real live NYC subway rat.

Countdown clocks make me laugh, watch them change around every 1 second. Why not have "Sovietic" clocks that are littered all over Moscow, St Petersburg, Volgograd, Yekaterinaburg, Omsk, Kiev, and other former Soviet metros? The ones that indicate how much time elapsed since the last train departed?

Reopening stops along the Montauk branch? They were closed down 10 years ago because there was very low ridership at those stations. I don't expect in 10+ plus years that there will be enough potential riders around those areas to justify their reopening.

We're in a recession here. Vote this clown out of office, even if he's running against a real live NYC subway rat.

The last time I checked, Mayor Bloomberg didn't bring upon this recession nearly as much as ruthless Wall Street moguls and careless lending and loaning did. If people want to knock the man for his policies and not-always fulfilled promises, that's fine - he's a politician and he can expect to have enemies of all shapes and sizes in all places and all times. And yes, he has little-to-no influence over the (MTA) and its subsidiary authorities and the associated policies and budget plans. He can call for "express this" and "free that" and "expanded these" and "improved those" until he gets blue in the face, his voice becomes hoarse and people stop listening, and it's highly unlikely that riders will get anything more than they have now and what's already been planned for in the budget.

However, Mayor Bloomberg is a businessman, a moneymaker, a financial conservative and a social liberal in a city where moneymaking and financial conservatism is badly needed in order for the next fiscal budget to not collapse under its own weight like a ginormous black hole and pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control and pro-embryonic stem cell research are the more acceptable to stances to take. He has openly criticized pension abuse, and despite working for a large NYC municipal agency and being a member of the largest municipal workers' union in NYC, I openly agree with the man. Moreover (and this is a personal reason), my title has been one of the few which has yet to be affected by job cuts and buyouts, and I owe it largely to this man and his policies.

In addition, who else is even a viable candidate? Bill Thompson laser-signs my check every other week, but his office is somewhat of a mess and he's struggling with personal debt. Do people really want him in a mayoral position?

My reasons for supporting Mayor Bloomberg are partially personal and partially for the common good. I'll receive flak just as Mayor Bloomberg does. The pasted article is just as farcical as most other political agendas and promises printed in the news, few of which are even slightly achieved.

I was told long ago that I should be careful for what I wish for, because it just may come true. Everyone wants Mayor Bloomberg to not be reelected? It could be a lot worse - and it just may get that way.

Guys, no matter how silly, inane or ineffective this plan may be, let's not turn this thread into a Bloomberg-bashing thread or a "why you shouldn't vote for this guy" or "why you should vote for this guy" thread. Keep it simple, criticise all you want the points in this plan and go no further.

iawtp of all of u vote against this clown and get him out

I'm certain that this thread is not about mayoral politics but rather a certain mayoral candidate's ideas to improve the city's transportation system. If you don't like Bloomberg, keep it to yourself, this is not a Bloomberg bashing thread. I am personally not with Bloomberg, nor am I eligible to vote, but I encourage you to quiet down with your Bloomberg bashing posts because there could be some pro-Bloomberg posters here on this forum. I don't want to come back tonight and see this thread become a war on who should be mayor.

Let's focus back on Mr Bloomberg's ideas for mass transit in the city. To be honest with you, they are not the best of all plans. On the other hand, he's not those automobile loving politicians, who like Robert Moses, care only about carving highways through every district possible.

what ideas how he has called the hardworking men and women of the mta hoodlums while they were striking for a decent wage or how he blamed everyone in the world for teh fare hikes and mismanagement of the mta board when he has the 2nd most appointments its not bashing bloomberg its about a 31 billion man who has no idea how the middle class feel and his little campaign promises are good for a liter box or birdcage because the ultimate goal is to rid the city specially manhattan of all the middle class thank you

Let's focus back on Mr Bloomberg's ideas for mass transit in the city. To be honest with you, they are not the best of all plans. On the other hand, he's not those automobile loving politicians, who like Robert Moses, care only about carving highways through every district possible.

To return to the topic at hand... (ahem)

Does anyone think he'll attempt to feed congestion and/or East River crossing tolls back into the Senate? I personally think it has merit in drumming up some money for the City and potentially lighten up the streets of Manhattan. On the other hand, it may further crowd the trains running into lower Manhattan. Also, the streets leading to those crossings just weren't designed to handle the back-up caused by tolls on those bridges, even if used in only one direction.

I'm not a bus-goer, so I'll refrain from comment on that situation. I'm just curious as to why he essentially singled-out the Culver Viaduct project and an express (F). I'm guessing that he has a fair number of constituents in Bensonhurst, Borough Park, Midwood, Park Slope and "BoCoCa" (I hate that term :() who have been desiring express service for years and he feels that such a promise will secure votes. I doubt it will work, but pigs have flown in recent years.

what ideas how he has called the hardworking men and women of the mta hoodlums while they were striking for a decent wage or how he blamed everyone in the world for teh fare hikes and mismanagement of the mta board when he has the 2nd most appointments its not bashing bloomberg its about a 31 billion man who has no idea how the middle class feel and his little campaign promises are good for a liter box or birdcage because the ultimate goal is to rid the city specially manhattan of all the middle class thank you

Did you read what I wrote in two posts? Bash Bloomberg somewhere else, not here.

To return to the topic at hand... (ahem)

Does anyone think he'll attempt to feed congestion and/or East River crossing tolls back into the Senate? I personally think it has merit in drumming up some money for the City and potentially lighten up the streets of Manhattan. On the other hand, it may further crowd the trains running into lower Manhattan. Also, the streets leading to those crossings just weren't designed to handle the back-up caused by tolls on those bridges, even if used in only one direction.

I'm not a bus-goer, so I'll refrain from comment on that situation. I'm just curious as to why he essentially singled-out the Culver Viaduct project and an express (F). I'm guessing that he has a fair number of constituents in Bensonhurst, Borough Park, Midwood, Park Slope and "BoCoCa" (I hate that term :() who have been desiring express service for years and he feels that such a promise will secure votes. I doubt it will work, but pigs have flown in recent years.

Chances are, he will probably bring congestion pricing back to the State Senate. It could fund the MTA, but again, there will be more overcrowding in our trains and it could have negative effects on the city's GDP. You are going to restrict the number of vehicles entering the Manhattan CBD, that means a lot. The drivers in the outer boroughs will fight to the last tooth to cancel congestion pricing.

If CP is in effect, it won't be in the form of tolls, so it won't cause back-ups.

What I do see that is feasible are additional bike lanes and a comprehensive bus rapid transit network. That's Bloombergian. I also do see the F express being alive. The people from Park Slope have been advocating for that service for years. Now that it has created attention in the political arena, it probably will go through. There's really nobody (with the exception of the MTA, I guess) that would say NO to this.

Did you read what I wrote in two posts? Bash Bloomberg somewhere else, not here.

Chances are, he will probably bring congestion pricing back to the State Senate. It could fund the MTA, but again, there will be more overcrowding in our trains and it could have negative effects on the city's GDP. You are going to restrict the number of vehicles entering the Manhattan CBD, that means a lot. The drivers in the outer boroughs will fight to the last tooth to cancel congestion pricing.

If CP is in effect, it won't be in the form of tolls, so it won't cause back-ups.

What I do see that is feasible are additional bike lanes and a comprehensive bus rapid transit network. That's Bloombergian. I also do see the F express being alive. The people from Park Slope have been advocating for that service for years. Now that it has created attention in the political arena, it probably will go through. There's really nobody (with the exception of the MTA, I guess) that would say NO to this.

Henry, the term "Bloombergian" is great, and I'm glad you made use of it.

I believe bike lanes are generally DOT projects, and Mayor Bloomberg would have some say in that department. I can definitely see more bike lanes added, especially if he adds more open space/automobile-restricted areas like he's doing in Times Square. As much as bikers sometimes agitate me, I like them better than most other drivers. Either way, bike lanes are a political hotbed right now (Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg last summer is a prime example).

The bus network is a good point as well. I can see him calling for enhanced service (particularly if it's a green bus fleet) in some of the more remote areas of the outer boroughs, especially express service, in order to garnish some votes.

I'm wondering if he's going to hype ferry and water taxi service as well. It seems likely. And as far as tolls NOT being implemented... that's a huge sigh of relief. Can you imagine what Flatbush Avenue in Downtown Brooklyn would look like if both bridges had Manhattan-bound tolls AND Atlantic Yard was ever complete? It'd be murder in either direction.

Henry, the term "Bloombergian" is great, and I'm glad you made use of it.

I believe bike lanes are generally DOT projects, and Mayor Bloomberg would have some say in that department. I can definitely see more bike lanes added, especially if he adds more open space/automobile-restricted areas like he's doing in Times Square. As much as bikers sometimes agitate me, I like them better than most other drivers. Either way, bike lanes are a political hotbed right now (Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg last summer is a prime example).

The bus network is a good point as well. I can see him calling for enhanced service (particularly if it's a green bus fleet) in some of the more remote areas of the outer boroughs, especially express service, in order to garnish some votes.

I'm wondering if he's going to hype ferry and water taxi service as well. It seems likely. And as far as tolls NOT being implemented... that's a huge sigh of relief. Can you imagine what Flatbush Avenue in Downtown Brooklyn would look like if both bridges had Manhattan-bound tolls AND Atlantic Yard was ever complete? It'd be murder in either direction.

Ha, thanks.

NYCDOT is under the city's control, so Bloomberg will have a greater degree of authority on this one. Bike shelters and bike lanes will continue to proliferate in areas that the bike lanes never visited before. Certain streets in quiet neighbourhoods may be turned into play streets, harkening to the days of children in the streets and horse cars.

I believe the NYCDOT did have a plan for a citywide BRT network. The several corridors currently under the MTA's study will be the first phase of the project. It's certainly more cheaper than a subway or other fixed guideway rapid transit routes. So I will expect that coming. If I did not read wrong, some of the money from the congestion pricing plan that died was going to go to the BRT network.

The ferry industry is a boon for the burgeoning city. The subways are going to be more overcrowded for years to come and the buses are always trusted as "these slow vehicles", at least in Manhattan. For every 10 tourists that visit New York City, 8 of them will rely on subway. The other 1 or 2 will go for the taxi. The ferry could be seen as a relief system, offering a seamless and stress free commute.

The faults of the CP plan lies here:

1. High fees for entering the CBD

2. Lack of parking spaces near the East River Bridges and other points of entry to the CBD.

The fees make the CBD unwelcoming, many vehicles will avoid the CBD altogether. Other crossings/roads will face congestion such as the Staten Island Expressway, the Verrazanos Bridge, the Whitestone, Bruckner, Washington Bridge, the Belt Parkway etc...

Here's a visual: Cars currently use Canal Street as a corridor from the Holland Tunnel to Brooklyn. If CP was in effect this would happen: A large number of cars will enter Brooklyn by going across the I-278 from the 1-95/NJ Turnpike or from Rts 1/9. Then across the SI Expressway onto the Verrazanos, then to either the BQE or the Belt Parkway. Choke points in other areas... not cool.

CP is a form of tax, if you think of it. You may not see it as tax, but its a mandatory fee issued by the local government imposed on the people in the name of helping out another area (which in this case, is transit). If produce/food resources etc... enter the Manhattan CBD, the companies would levy a smaller fee on the people in the area by adding to the prices.

Garages are needed as many single occupant vehicles will park in the areas around the crossings in order to avoid the fee. You don't expect these people to park in the street. Space has to be procured for parking facilities. Parking garages is not Bloombergian, condominiums is. Bloomberg would rather build 1 condo than 50 parking garages.

Congestion pricing is not going to work.

Ha, thanks.

NYCDOT is under the city's control, so Bloomberg will have a greater degree of authority on this one. Bike shelters and bike lanes will continue to proliferate in areas that the bike lanes never visited before. Certain streets in quiet neighbourhoods may be turned into play streets, harkening to the days of children in the streets and horse cars.

Garages are needed as many single occupant vehicles will park in the areas around the crossings in order to avoid the fee. You don't expect these people to park in the street. Space has to be procured for parking facilities. Parking garages is not Bloombergian, condominiums is. Bloomberg would rather build 1 condo than 50 parking garages.

While your whole post was on the money, these statements stood out to me. Wasn't there some initiative in recent years where college students were given bikes as part of their tuition or something? I can very much see Mayor Bloomberg pushing for the same program, if he hasn't done so already, as well as offering bikes to those condo buyers who move into NYC without an automobile. Watch for bike racks to start popping up left and right.

Archived