Railfan Trip on 8/24/2009 dubbed 'Leave East River Tracks Burning Trip.'

Interesting plan, but swine flu shouldn't affect anyone's plan unless people are literally dying on the streets. You don't see that happening any time (yet). You have an explanation for the title? I don't see how this ties with the East River. And finally, I'm not quite sure about the "new Metrocard system" you are talking about. And I'm pretty sure other members here are going to be questioning this.

You can't transfer from the D to the N at Dekalb. Neither train stops there (except late nights). The station in Brooklyn at which you could do it before entering Manhattan is Pacific Street.

Here are some tips:

-Get off the (G) at Smith 9th and go to the last car position for a photo op, the view is remarkable. Plus you will get a good view of the work being done on the viaduct as you go down the platform.

-Take the (F) to Ditmas Avenue (last car position) for a photo op, then continue

-Take the (N) from Coney Island to 62nd Street (it's a pretty fun ride)

-Transfer to the (D) at 62nd Street/New Utrecht, there are photo ops on the (D) platform

-Take the (D) to 9th Avenue, there are photo ops in the last car position and the first car position

1. Yeah, agreed with swine flu thing.

2. The new MetroCard Prices shall I say.

3. Alright, I feel I got a goodn'smooth plan going on here, thanks for the help and input Henry.

Realigned Plan:

We will be covering the (G), (F), (D), (N) and (7) Lines.

{Start of Trip}

Meet at Court Square (G) - 1st Car (10:30AM)

Take (G) to Smith - 9th Street (photo op). and transfer to (F).

Take (F) (pit-stop at Ditmas for photo op) to Coney Island - Stillwell Ave. and transfer to (N).

Take (N) to 62nd St. and Transfer to (D) (photo op).

Take (D) (pit-stop at 9th Ave. for photo op) Atlantic-Pacific and Transfer to (N).

[Lunch at 36th Street McDonalds or at Atlantic-Pacfic Mall - Trying to avoid crowd at Coney Island]

Take (N) to 42nd Street and transfer to (7).

[Optional Alt.: Take (N) to Astoria - Ditmars and back to Queensboro Plaza for (7)]

Take (7) to 74th-Broadway and transfer to (F).

Take (F) to 34th Street.

{End of Trip}

i'm in on this one with one condition: i need an approximate end time due to the fact that i'm already in the city for a dentist appointment, so i will need to move it from the morning to the late afternoon. and i might bring a friend if he wants to come. and if there is time afterwords, i might head uptown to check out 207th for new cars if anyone's interested. (hopefully no GO's).

I think it's fine that it's on a weekend. The only thing you MUST do is check the weekend service advisories for each line you want to railfan and keep in mind that the headways will be low - in the 10 minute range. I also think that we shouldn't make the photo-ops set in stone or anything, because those tend to change while we all railfan anyway (depending on who wants to stop where).

ill join just gotta know what time it starts.

be at court square (G) first car (downtown) at 10:30. i'll see if i can get there a bit earlier (maybe 10 min or so), but i think we could wait another 10-15 minutes for stragglers if there are any.

as of now, not sure if it's a weekday or if we'll risk the GO's on the weekend.

i remember last weekends GO cut out northbound (N) on the sea beach and reroute to west end.

I think it's fine that it's on a weekend. The only thing you MUST do is check the weekend service advisories for each line you want to railfan and keep in mind that the headways will be low - in the 10 minute range. I also think that we shouldn't make the photo-ops set in stone or anything, because those tend to change while we all railfan anyway (depending on who wants to stop where).

IMO, if you are going to railfan on a weekend, railfan if there is an interesting reroute (say the (G) to Coney or something) otherwise, do it on a weekday when trains are more frequent. That way you can save time.

Okay urbanfortitude, hope ya notify me within or in a week and half from now, will your mate come too?

@All:

I will have a clear schedule by a week, so if it happens to be clearly a free weekdays, I'll reschedule it maybe even Friday (the day before) or coming Monday (two days after) from the scheduled day.

Good! If that happens, I will reserve time for it.

Okay urbanfortitude, hope ya notify me within or in a week and half from now, will your mate come too?

@All:

I will have a clear schedule by a week, so if it happens to be clearly a free weekdays, I'll reschedule it maybe even Friday (the day before) or coming Monday (two days after) from the scheduled day.

now that is GOOD news!:cool:

Ok guy so are we doing it on da 22nd....this will be my first trip....so it will be me my backpack and my g1...and we are meeeting at court square right...and I think that's a Sunday..right..I can do it since I really don't work sundays......so it a yea for me...is long as u guy got everthing planed out....I heard most of the guy who do this are young....like 14 15 year old.....hmmmmmm..well I'm 21......do I need to get the copy of that bill or something like that so da cop won't bother us.....if u can send me a link of that that would be cooll....thanks.....

(J)(F)(K)....(JFK)

Now, I am officially changing it to Monday, August-24th-2009 if you would want it to be on a weekday. Otherwise I'll stick with Saturday, August-22nd-2009 depend on how many people comes. I don't care about the G.O.s....
.........................I mean sure Monday cuz everthing is running......but......well I don't mind is long the meet piont is at court square.......this gonna be my first trip....ya for me.......but it does make lots of sense to do it mon.......most likely I can go..........

(J)(F)(K)(JFK)

Archived