Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
NYtransit

Is it just me or did the R110A power up?

(sorry no photos,but i will get a phone with a camera hopefully in the end of august) okay while i was walking to my friends,i thought i would go threw the Grand Concoures yard to see the R110A (never saw it in person) and suspiciously the R110A interior lights were flickering then the train moved,but it only moved for 1 second,then it did emergency brakes then it powered down. i didnt hear the propullsion,butthe train moved VERY slowly with out a dieslel locomotive!!!! what is going on here? why is the R110A all of a sudden starting to power up? i thought these trains can never power up again,and they need diesel locomotives to move it.but if i ever go railfan,and i get a unlimited metro card,i will go back to Grand Concoures yard and see if this happeneds again.

I'm curious as to why people are so eager to see the 110s in revenue service again. I was under the impression that they were a prototype class built for the purpose of trying out new technology and were not really meant to be used for long-term passenger service. The currently-used NTT trains have many of the same or improved features, and there are plenty of pictures and a few video clips on the internet. I personally fail to see the logic in regularly running a train designed for testing purposes, especially one that is well over 15 years old now and really serves no other purpose.

If there's a train that's not supposed to be in service or has thought to never work again on it's own, and then we find out it works, it would give way for people to experience the train one more time on their own instead of through pictures. If you don't care about it, then that's your opinion, but it would be great for it to run one last time.

If there's a train that's not supposed to be in service or has thought to never work again on it's own, and then we find out it works, it would give way for people to experience the train one more time on their own instead of through pictures. If you don't care about it, then that's your opinion, but it would be great for it to run one last time.

I have to agree, if there's possible use to see the R110As in service again, the MTA will exercise that as a means of increased service (or closer headways on one line, e.g. the (2)).

No, none of these trains have spare parts. It's cost prohibitive to get them back in order for revenue services. The railfan community needs to give it a rest. If they need to increase service on the IRT, they will just use more R142s and R62s.

No, none of these trains have spare parts. It's cost prohibitive to get them back in order for revenue services. The railfan community needs to give it a rest. If they need to increase service on the IRT, they will just use more R142s and R62s.

I can see the argument from Konvicted's point of view - and I'm sure that if the (MTA) was set to do a final with the 110s, the consist would be packed with people from these forums. These were the rapid transit version of a "concept car," and yes, it would be cool to see these run one more time.

However, it's just not feasible to run these or even to expect these to run in revenue service. There are only ten of those cars, so that pretty much eliminates parts salvaging and swapping. And the amount of work which would need to be done to get them road-ready is great and not cheap at all. As a work train in the future? Perhaps. But even then, I don't see Transit dumping that much time and money into cars which will not recover money through passengers. Transit got what they wanted out of these cars, and I doubt they're going to ask for anymore.

They'll probably be used as school cars. That'd be a perfect use for these cars instead of just seeing them sitting there doing nothing, at least let them serve a purpose. Nuff said.

Of course I understand everything about the spare parts and the costly price to restore them. But letting the trains sitting at Concourse with no use at the moment, isn't a great way to spend the car.

They'll probably be used as school cars. That'd be a perfect use for these cars instead of just seeing them sitting there doing nothing, at least let them serve a purpose. Nuff said.

It would be useless for school car. Makes no sense to train them to use the R110 when they don't run in service. They use rolling stock being used currently so that the crew can learn how to operate those trains. This would be the equivalent of using the Transit Museum's R9s to train T/Os or the old Brooklyn Elevated trains.

It would be useless for school car. Makes no sense to train them to use the R110 when they don't run in service. They use rolling stock being used currently so that the crew can learn how to operate those trains. This would be the equivalent of using the Transit Museum's R9s to train T/Os or the old Brooklyn Elevated trains.

Although a C/R class could perform door operations or troubleshoot certain malfunctions on it. Actually new T/Os could use the same training. As far as road ops R110-R142-R143-R160 if you qualify on one you are qualified on all AFAIK.

Although a C/R class could perform door operations or troubleshoot certain malfunctions on it. Actually new T/Os could use the same training. As far as road ops R110-R142-R143-R160 if you qualify on one you are qualified on all AFAIK.

Really? I thought that was only with the R143 and the R160 but that you would need to qualify for the R142 and vice versa if you were switching from either division. I'm not sure if Pelham Bay Dave didn't need to get qualified for the R142 when he switched over from B Div since he is R143/R160 qualified. I could be wrong.

Does this include SMEE?[betweek R32-R38-R40-R42-R68](Dunno about R44/46, as its one handle) Even retired SMEE cars pre-R36

Really? I thought that was only with the R143 and the R160 but that you would need to qualify for the R142 and vice versa if you were switching from either division. I'm not sure if Pelham Bay Dave didn't need to get qualified for the R142 when he switched over from B Div since he is R143/R160 qualified. I could be wrong.

We'd have to ask PBD about that one. As far as the car classes go the R143 has the CBTC functions enabled but in the T/O refresher course we operated whichever simulator was available when your turn came up. The actual operation of the train is the same. When you transfer from the B to the A there is only 2 classes of equipment, R62 and R142 type. SMEE and NTT, so when a class can't get a train to practice on in Livonia Yard they walk over to Pitkin Yard for a train. A to B is a little harder because of the R46s but the other equipment is basically the same.

We'd have to ask PBD about that one. As far as the car classes go the R143 has the CBTC functions enabled but in the T/O refresher course we operated whichever simulator was available when your turn came up. The actual operation of the train is the same. When you transfer from the B to the A there is only 2 classes of equipment, R62 and R142 type. SMEE and NTT, so when a class can't get a train to practice on in Livonia Yard they walk over to Pitkin Yard for a train. A to B is a little harder because of the R46s but the other equipment is basically the same.

Gotcha. *Thumbs up*

The R110A has some problems. The trucks are permanently damage hence why they can't run on their own. Kawasaki DOES in fact have spare part to fix up the R110A but if they are used there's no more! They would probably use it in a dyer emergency. I can recall reading an article about the R110As, they were involved in a small fire. That was MTA's excuse to yank them out of service for good. The trucks got damaged in this fire. If the trains do in fact run on their own power they are probably slapped with a speed restriction. It just better to tote them around by diesels. Will they ever come back into service again? 99% not. Very slim chance. The R110As can not run full service unless the surplus is used and sadly, MTA might not risk putting them to service and wasting a perfectly good surplus. That's what happened to the R110Bs. And now, not one R110B is motorized, all de-motored and striped of useable parts.

Thats nice to hear that they can still run. Btw were the front or side LCDs on as well? I hope they keep one set for the TM, the kept an R11 and that was an test train as well.

img_3384.jpg

The controls of the R130 are just about the same as the R142/R142A. I don't see why this train can't be used as a school car.

And the R110B has that Joystick for operating on the right hand side just like the 143s and 160s. I would rather see these cars join the museum fleet than be used for school car. But sadly I've been hearing that the museum is running out of space to store its collection. It would be nice if the TM could find an new location bigger than court street to showcase the equipment and have its own indoor yard to store the museum pieces and not be exposed to the elements. And Also the Bus and LIRR fleet could be on display all year around. There are rail museums around the U.S that are like that, too bad NYC can't find a spot like that. :P

I'm curious as to why people are so eager to see the 110s in revenue service again. I was under the impression that they were a prototype class built for the purpose of trying out new technology and were not really meant to be used for long-term passenger service. The currently-used NTT trains have many of the same or improved features, and there are plenty of pictures and a few video clips on the internet. I personally fail to see the logic in regularly running a train designed for testing purposes, especially one that is well over 15 years old now and really serves no other purpose.
To me, it seems like a waste, because they are still "new", and have yet hardly been used at all. And how much does each cost? Millions?

I know they were prototypes, but for one thing, there was talk about Kawasaki making the 110A's compatible with the 142's. They have the same dimensions, and probably similar electronics, but then that could always be stripped out and redone. Physically, I think they used a different coupler (more similar to the M7 cars?). But that could be changed too. (I only hoped that they would leave the unique seating).

Otherwise, they should have used them on the 42nd St shuttle, though I think the problem there is that it cannot handle five cars.

The 110B's could never be compatible with the 143's or 160's, so they should have been used on the Rockaway shuttle. The glass between cars and automatic announcements would have been good for the OPTO.

If nothing else, couldn't some small rail shuttle somewhere use them? Or some third world system? (Who IMO should get the 44's and 46's. I just read that PATH cars will be going somewhere like that, so why not any of ours?)

To me, it seems like a waste, because they are still "new", and have yet hardly been used at all. And how much does each cost? Millions?

I know they were prototypes, but for one thing, there was talk about Kawasaki making the 110A's compatible with the 142's. They have the same dimensions, and probably similar electronics, but then that could always be stripped out and redone. Physically, I think they used a different coupler (more similar to the M7 cars?). But that could be changed too. (I only hoped that they would leave the unique seating).

Otherwise, they should have used them on the 42nd St shuttle, though I think the problem there is that it cannot handle five cars.

The 110B's could never be compatible with the 143's or 160's, so they should have been used on the Rockaway shuttle. The glass between cars and automatic announcements would have been good for the OPTO.

If nothing else, couldn't some small rail shuttle somewhere use them? Or some third world system? (Who IMO should get the 44's and 46's. I just read that PATH cars will be going somewhere like that, so why not any of ours?)

But will third-world countries know how to take care of our cars properly? They're still using steam locomotives, AFAIK.

The R-110A/R-110B as school cars is actually very great idea considering them retired for life, putting them in school car use returns their purpose to be kept as well as can help people be able to use NTT cars. And yeah, the controls are very similar to R-142/142A for the 110A and R-143 for the 110B.

Exactly. I can see some sort of good use for these cars in the foreseeable future. They don't just have to sit there in misery for nothing, that's kinda sad. :):cry:

And the R110B has that Joystick for operating on the right hand side just like the 143s and 160s. I would rather see these cars join the museum fleet than be used for school car. But sadly I've been hearing that the museum is running out of space to store its collection. It would be nice if the TM could find an new location bigger than court street to showcase the equipment and have its own indoor yard to store the museum pieces and not be exposed to the elements. And Also the Bus and LIRR fleet could be on display all year around. There are rail museums around the U.S that are like that, too bad NYC can't find a spot like that. :)

My idea for a new location for the museum would be Canal-Bowery on the J/M/Z lines. The current platforms are walled off and a long continuous platform could be built [on top of the former 'n/b express' roadbed] to connect the Bowery and there could be tracks placed on the former 'n/b express' tracks only within the confinement of each stations.

Of course this would mean cutting off flexibility for the J/M lines, but it's not like they use it often and are fine as is with just the Western most tracks in use.

As far as the current museum, I always felt that it should be put in use as an active station and connected to Manhattan by I would assume the WTC E train station.

Sorry for going a bit o/t.