Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

One of MTA's 'slowest' buses still beats Daily News reporter on foot

Harry

It's lucky there were no spectators because this race was over almost as soon as it began.

The Daily News pitted a reporter against one of the city's slowest crosstown buses Tuesday - and the scribe placed a distant second.

The M50 - the seventh slowest route in the city, according to the Straphangers Campaign - left our walker in a cloud of exhaust fumes as it clinched victory by eight minutes.

Karen Novellion, 40, of West Hempstead L.I., who takes the M50 every day to work on the West Side, would not have been shocked by the result.

"I find it pretty fast to tell you the truth," she told The News aboard the bus earlier in the day.

The not-so-epic battle began at 2:47 p.m at 12th Ave. and 50th St. under the blazing afternoon sun.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/05/2009-08-05_midtown_bus_wins_in_walk_on_foot_news_scribe_no_match_for_one_of_citys_slowest_r.html#ixzz0NIrOOlLI

post-1-133288580687_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580687_thumb.jpg

Maybe now they'll stop complaining so much? I'm not saying it's not warranted, but every time I see something about buses, unless it's a major reroute or a new bus, I hear complaining the majority of the time. But, nice run for the money they tried to do.

49th-50th Sts is part of THRU STREET Program, but it still doesn't work. Cars still make turns. With that THRU STREET, crosstown Thru Street traffic are getting worst, making impossible for M27/M50 to move fast.

The segment through Central Park is one of the best. I just don't understand why streets like 79-81 and 84-86th are 'crooked' going through the park.

I know they wanted the park to look scenic, but wouldn't it have been better to have the roads strait across?

The segment through Central Park is one of the best. I just don't understand why streets like 79-81 and 84-86th are 'crooked' going through the park.

I know they wanted the park to look scenic, but wouldn't it have been better to have the roads strait across?

It's so that people don't zoom across and possibly crash. Turns force people to slow down.

Guest Charles

If you want slow, try the M96 east of Central Park. But once it crosses the park into the West Side it becomes slightly faster.

Ever notice how it's never Bus Operators who talk about the "slowest" buses? Why don't they get someone from the inside to talk about why we have problems staying on time? Although everyone has the right to their opinion,it's not valid unless you have done the job. It can't be explained,it has to be experienced.

- you can't (or, you're not allowed to) talk to b/o's while the bus is in motion... so throw that option out the window....

- the average b/o probably doesn't care about which is the "slowest" route...

- even if you catch an operator on layover, and is (by the grace of god) willing to answer a few questions regarding "slow" bus routes, you won't get much of an in-depth interview - there's only but so much layover time....

- the average working citizen (I remember fox5 did a survey on this a couple yrs. ago) doesn't like to talk about their jobs, while they're off the job.... That's why commend all the MTA employees on here (you included) that take time out to share the info. that you do...

guess you could ask a retired b/o (or an ex b/o that moved onto another profession or w/e).... iono, guess what I'm hinting towards.. is...

where would anyone find the opportunity to ask a current bus operator about this topic at hand?

Archived