R44 or R46 subway car?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

At approximately around 8:45 or 9:00 am this morning i was walking on 39 Street and 2nd Avenue and behind Costco i saw something amazing.I couldn't really tell the make of it but it was a subway car on top of a long flatbed truck.I looked at it closely and it looked like a R44 or R46 sorry no pics but i found that suprisingly strange.Does anyone know why that particular subway car was there and is it a common sight around that area to see subway cars?

At approximately around 8:45 or 9:00 am this morning i was walking on 39 Street and 2nd Avenue and behind Costco i saw something amazing.I couldn't really tell the make of it but it was a subway car on top of a long flatbed truck.I looked at it closely and it looked like a R44 or R46 sorry no pics but i found that suprisingly strange.Does anyone know why that particular subway car was there and is it a common sight around that area to see subway cars?

Do you think that next time you could go back and provide us with a pic with a cell phone or borrow your friend's camera? It would be more helpful. (Unless anyone else knows what's at Costco around that way....)

Its an R44 from the SIRT on its way to get an SMS at the Coney Island Overhaul shop.

Holy hell! That looks cool! I didn't know they drove the trains to get their Scheduled Maintenance. I thought they loaded them on a barge and delivered them to Coney Island that way instead. Interesting....

So the train barge at the South Brooklyn Railroad yard is still operational?

If you mean the one at Bush Terminal, then yes. It is run my the New York and Atlantic Railroad and the float grabage trains to New Jersey as well as other things too. You can see the car float from the Belt Parkway ramp near Owls Head DEP plant.

If you mean the one at Bush Terminal, then yes. It is run my the New York and Atlantic Railroad and the float grabage trains to New Jersey as well as other things too. You can see the car float from the Belt Parkway ramp near Owls Head DEP plant.

I know about the Bush Terminal yard but I was talking about the SBK yard by 39th St I assume they brought it through there?

I know about the Bush Terminal yard but I was talking about the SBK yard by 39th St I assume they brought it through there?

I did not know there was one. Last time I was down there in the late 90's, the track ended at a bumping block in a court yard formed the wharehouses down there.

I did not know there was one. Last time I was down there in the late 90's, the track ended at a bumping block in a court yard formed the wharehouses down there.

I mean I could be wrong. It's been a while since I dug into the history of the South Brooklyn Railway, New York & Atlantic Railway and the New York Cross Harbor Railroad.

Archived