Question about the NY Central Tile at 149th Street/Mott

mark1447

I always see the New York Central Line(Now Harlem Line Under the Metro North Commuter Railroad) tile when I head down to the White Plains Rd line (2)(5), near the start of the long passageway (Where (4) Jerome is at) to the Eastern part of the Mott Avenue Station (Now 149th Grand Concourse)

Why did the (NYCT) added that tile during the time it was Mott? Seeing that there is no station for the NY Central(Harlem Line, MNCRR), unless there was or planned? Or Did the (NYCT) just wanted people to know that the NY Central line is over the WPR Line from East?(Since there is)

Heres an old shot i got from my collection(This tile still exsit at Mott):

S7302444.jpg

The New York Central Railroad (predecessor to Metro-North) intended to build a station in the vicinity of what is now the 149th Street/Grand Concourse subway station, but the station was never built. However, the IRT (not the MTA) added directional mosaic tile markers to the ghost station, even though it was never built, when the station opened in 1917.

Source: http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/Nowhere/nowhere.html

The New York Central Railroad (predecessor to Metro-North) intended to build a station in the vicinity of what is now the 149th Street/Grand Concourse subway station, but the station was never built. However, the IRT (not the MTA) added directional mosaic tile markers to the ghost station, even though it was never built, when the station opened in 1917.

Source: http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/Nowhere/nowhere.html

Thanks now I understand! How Ever was it intended Only for NY Cental Line Only? Since the NH also ran thru it too, and Penn Central too. If im correct

New haven was operated over NYC owned tracks into GCT. The 2 roads were never officially the same company till the penn-central merger, penn central being pennsylvania railroad, new york central, the new haven, and several other railroads between boston, chicago, and DC. Once PC took over, the financially unstable former NH lines pulled the rest of PC under.

The reason they never built the station i believe is just poor timing, they intended to build it, but never did, similar to the east side access, which thankfully will no longer be "a tunnel to nowhere". Seems though there will, for at least a while, be a sign to nowhere. :P

Interestingly enough, the NYC got its name only in 1914 after merging ownership of lines it had bought into one name. New York Central Lines could mean leased roads as well.

- A

Mmkay, so some new info!

So, the west side line used to have a station at 152nd st in manhattan, near the major cross street of 149th.. This was a NYC&H trackage that ran south and over what today we know & call the "high line". There was a passenger terminal where the javits center is now, below that only mail and freight went south to a location known only as "St. Johns depot".

As far as a station at the massive wye where the harlem line and hudson line split, there is, or was up till recently, a stop for MNRR employees/crew. This is about where 149th st is in the bx. NYC&H wanted to put a station here round about 1910, however 7 years later they were changing how it operated, merging all its various pieces and parts into the NYC we think of today. There were operations offices in/around the wye, as well as the crew platforms, so it may just have been pointing to that, and that is why it was left in place.

There was also a station at 138th st. One stop and 2,000 feet south (walking distance) of the wye & the tiled station at 149th.

- A

Archived