What train is this?

FamousNYLover

I am unsure its use, however it looks like some kind of diesel powered work vehicle for sure. Track alignment vehicles have lasers and mirrors and stuff on the underside, as well as cameras that take photos of stuff. You can actually see the manufacturer name on the sensors if you're lucky enough to be on a train passing one. It could also just as easily be a crew transport, or tool carrier.

- A

Yea i think it's the rail grinder, you can see the black guards along the bottom. The track geometry vehicle as i remember has white plastic bits under it that house the laser equipment. That is sunnyside yard.

- A

I am fairly certain that it's the rail grinder, because the front is totally flat and shielding the track area in front, and you can see the black pieces hanging unevenly. It's uneven because they often don't hang evenly.

Every other amtk work vehicle that i know of is open in the front, or the front does not extend as low to the tracks.

On a side note, i really love sunnyside yard, so huge, so many trains, it's amazing.

- A

The only railway grinder possible to be a passenger railway grinder is a lot like the 'track stabilizer car' styckx posted. Otherwise it is that I posted or the 'Loram' Railway Grinder.

I saw it fly showers of sparks and be quite loud through the space in the door i was standing next to. Its diesel engine was going full out and it was moving about 5-10 mph on the out of service track.

I know what i saw. I ride the NEC more in a month than you've probably ridden in your whole life, no offense, but i do know what i'm talking about. Maybe if you rode trains outside of NYC you'd see more and discover the utterly endless types of MOW rail vehicles that can be seen from even a :njt: train's side window.

That very large rail grinder is possibly used out west by amtk, not in NY division, it would never clear the tunnels to be used north of NY, and it would likely not fit through several stations not to mention being unwieldy on the MOW yard tracks. I know for a fact that most freight 'roads out west use those larger ones. :)

- A

Ugh, seem to be too complex. Everyone could be correct but, I am getting more confused by the post. I think we need some one from Amtrak to answer this question, ;)!

Thats who I got my answer from.

Me: Hey whats that yellow thing sitting in Sunnyside from this pic?

Friend who works the NEC: Looks like a TSAV.

Me: You sure.

After his run and on his deadhead home: Its a TSAV, kind of like a track Geometry vehicle.

It makes sense Rail grinding equipment would not have enclosed sides like that but would be more like what is in Styckx Picture. Plus all Amtrak rail grinding stuff I have seen is in that puke green or faded orange.

Thats who I got my answer from.

Me: Hey whats that yellow thing sitting in Sunnyside from this pic?

Friend who works the NEC: Looks like a TSAV.

Me: You sure.

After his run and on his deadhead home: Its a TSAV, kind of like a track Geometry vehicle.

It makes sense Rail grinding equipment would not have enclosed sides like that but would be more like what is in Styckx Picture. Plus all Amtrak rail grinding stuff I have seen is in that puke green or faded orange.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up sir (;)(K)!

I believe what that one does is ensure the rails and ties are sound and :tup: for moving pax over at speed. The TGC measures the gauge and superelevation, makes sure the track is properly aligned

Yea, the one i saw was faded orange. Very noisy. About as loud as the generator for the tie replacing machine, with added high pitch squealing from the grinding action.

Interesting to see how much of the MOW stuff has the link chain and buffer type coupler system

- A

Archived