Incident on the (6)

LandoftheLost

You mean he injured his leg?

And he knows well that he shouldn't have done that in the first place, it's not allowed. See? It's dangerous and unlawful.

wait he crossed to the other car and fell between the car or what? Confused :confused:

It isn't dangerous, it's just that the (MTA) doesn't want to get sued by some idiot who didn't know what he is doing. From day one of rapid transit in NYC to 10 years ago, people were allowed to walk between cars. I've done it many times, and it really isn't dangerous if you know the basic laws of physics. Now that so many people are sue happy and reckless, the (MTA) wants to avoid being sued by making it illegal.

Nah, I only got the news from Mr Kawasaki3 or Sir Kngmn, which ever he prefers to be acknowledged as.

He crossed between train cars, I believe. Probably got his leg stuck? Who knows.

My guess is that the guy wasn't looking where he was walking and his for got stuck between the space of the cars and tripped.

It isn't dangerous, it's just that the (MTA) doesn't want to get sued by some idiot who didn't know what he is doing. From day one of rapid transit in NYC to 10 years ago, people were allowed to walk between cars. I've done it many times, and it really isn't dangerous if you know the basic laws of physics. Now that so many people are sue happy and reckless, the (MTA) wants to avoid being sued by making it illegal.

That and it's also something they don't want crews to have to see...a person ground into hamburger is not a pretty sight...

Cops have also found stopping people walking between cars and running back ground checks on them has led to finding people with priors out on them, and that's been excuse to search them, finding guns, knives, drugs, all sorts of happy things...

So they will continue to do it for all of the reasons mentioned, including yours.

I wonder though, on the R142/a's do they have a way for the c/r to automatically lock and unlock the storm doors remotely? I mean wouldn't it just be easier to just have the storm doors locked unless it was an emergency situation? That way incidents like this won't have to happen.

yes like on the 44s,46s and 68s the doors are locked i know though on the 46s there is a release swtich on the outside of every car at the top that opens the door

yes like on the 44s,46s and 68s the doors are locked i know though on the 46s there is a release swtich on the outside of every car at the top that opens the door

Well those doors are locked because there is a large cap between the cars. It makes going thru the cars even more dangerous.

On the R44s in Staten Island the doors are unlocked. Why I do not know but I don't think crossing between cars there are barred at all.

Trackage is relatively straight compared to the likes of the subway.

And to be honest with you, it is a violation of the rules of conduct no matter what you say or how illogical it is to you. Whether you see it as a safety measure of a means of "self defence from lawsuits", it's the rule, so follow it. Since this guy didn't follow it, I have to say, that's his problem. He can't whine in court because of how he smashed his leg or something. Law enforcement officers and the judicial system will rule in favour of the MTA.

On the R44s in Staten Island the doors are unlocked. Why I do not know but I don't think crossing between cars there are barred at all.

THey are a railroad. The B&O which had owned SIR along time ago was a real railroad and most railroad cars are 75' or even 85' long. That being said, there is not the same allignment problem as found in the subway.

THey are a railroad. The B&O which had owned SIR along time ago was a real railroad and most railroad cars are 75' or even 85' long. That being said, there is not the same allignment problem as found in the subway.

Interesting. Thanks!

I can't believe people actually get themselves injured while moving between cars, because, while there are some inherent dangers, a little caution can avoid most accidents. The folks who sell candy, pirated movies or whatever regularly walk between cars and never seem to hurt themselves, even while carrying boxes/heavy backpacks.

I have myself done it a few times in the Rockaway flats without any untoward incident. And I am sure moving between cars on a stationary train is absolutely safe and probably legal.

Moral of the story: If you are going to do it, do it right. Don't embarrass yourself with insult and injury by turning your mind off for a second.

I can't believe people actually get themselves injured while moving between cars, because, while there are some inherent dangers, a little caution can avoid most accidents. The folks who sell candy, pirated movies or whatever regularly walk between cars and never seem to hurt themselves, even while carrying boxes/heavy backpacks.

I have myself done it a few times in the Rockaway flats without any untoward incident. And I am sure moving between cars on a stationary train is absolutely safe and probably legal.

Moral of the story: If you are going to do it, do it right. Don't embarrass yourself with insult and injury by turning your mind off for a second.

Moving between cars at any point except an emergency or when told to do so by an employee or police officer is illegal, which means you can be given a $100 ticket if you are caught doing it.

That said, I see people doing it from time to time and the one thing they never do is USE THE GRABHOLDS!!! They're right there and most people do the "look mommy no hands" shimmy through cars.

Accidents don't happen often but when they do they are VERY messy and VERY ugly. Subway Vendors/beggers/performers etc. have sometimes been victims too. So as a result now no one can do it because let's face it, the average person hasn't shown the intelligence and awareness of surroundings to do it safely

Archived