B47 Question

Robert Bosco

Did the B47 switch depots recently? And on top of that, did it run under a different route number years back?

Yes it did. The B47 is actually a merger of the old B78 and B40 bus that was created in 2001-02.

The old B78 ran along Ralph Avenue only between between Kings Plaza and East 98th Street/Rutland Road (3)(4) station. While the old "B40" served mainly the Nothern part of Ralph Avenue between East New York Avenue and Broadway.

The B40 ran between Williamsburgh Plaza and Broadway Junction.

The TA at that time in middle of a national recession right after 9/11 not as bad and wide spread as the current one in 2009, felt that most riders wanted a single bus route along entire length of Ralph Avenue from Mill Basin-Bushwick and thus reason we have the current B47 line..

FYI. The B47 was also used on a previous line. It was the old bus route that mainly ran along Brooklyn/Kingston Avenues between the Prospect Park Station then served by the (D)(M) and (Q) lines and Williamsburg Plaza.

It was extended to Greenpoint in the mid 1990's mergering with an another old route(B62) that ran along Manhattan Avenue.

Yeah I remember the B47 use to run under by ENY Depot. When it ran the route to Kingston/Troop Aves going to Williamsburg and Thompson/Brooklyn Aves going to Lefferts Garden till it got discontined for the B43 extending the route to Greenpoint on the Kingston/Throop Ave route. And couple years later B47 is now running to the Ralph Ave route going to King Plaza under the FLA Depot and now under by Grand Av depot. FLA and Grand Ave Dept should split with the B47.

Yeah I remember the B47 use to run under by ENY Depot. When it ran the route to Kingston/Troop Aves going to Williamsburg and Thompson/Brooklyn Aves going to Lefferts Garden till it got discontined for the B43 extending the route to Greenpoint on the Kingston/Throop Ave route. And couple years later B47 is now running to the Ralph Ave route going to King Plaza under the FLA Depot and now under by Grand Av depot. FLA and Grand Ave Dept should split with the B47.
I'm Confused I Know The B40 Originated out of East New York Depot the B78 Originated out of Flatbush Depot and After They merged the Routes the B47 first Originated out of Flatbush Depot and with the Opening of Grand Avenue Depot it was Transferred

I'm Confused I Know The B40 Originated out of East New York Depot the B78 Originated out of Flatbush Depot and After They merged the Routes the B47 first Originated out of Flatbush Depot and with the Opening of Grand Avenue Depot it was Transferred

In that first sentence, tkx2510 is referring to the old B47 that ran out of ENY....

back then there was the B40, the B78, the B62, and the B47....

the old B47 was merged with the old B62 - that's now the current B43.

the old B40 was merged with the old B78 - that's now the current B47.

in short:

old B47 ENY

current B47 Flatbush (depot) -> Grand av

Hope that clears the confusion

In that first sentence, tkx2510 is referring to the old B47 that ran out of ENY....

back then there was the B40, the B78, the B62, and the B47....

the old B47 was merged with the old B62 - that's now the current B43.

the old B40 was merged with the old B78 - that's now the current B47.

in short:

old B47 ENY

current B47 Flatbush (depot) -> Grand av

Hope that clears the confusion

Oh Ok thanx B35 Via Charch so in Essence they are recycled Routes never knew there was a B62 and a B47 Before

Oh Ok thanx B35 Via Charch so in Essence they are recycled Routes never knew there was a B62 and a B47 Before

not a problem, bro.

I would just say the route number(s) are recycled.

IIRC, the old b47 took the southern portion of the current B43 (up/down throop/tompkins)

and the old 62 took the northern portion of the current B43 (it's route north of flushing av, on up to Box st)

the old 78 I know, went from kings plz to the rutland rd station on the (3); the southern part of the current 47

I don't remember what the old 40's eastern terminal was... but the old 40 went to williamsburg bridge plz (via broadway & ralph av's)... the more northern part of the current 47

funny how that all comes together, right....

not a problem, bro.

I would just say the route number(s) are recycled.

IIRC, the old b47 took the southern portion of the current B43 (up/down throop/tompkins)

and the old 62 took the northern portion of the current B43 (it's route north of flushing av, on up to Box st)

the old 78 I know, went from kings plz to the rutland rd station on the (3); the southern part of the current 47

I don't remember what the old 40's eastern terminal was... but the old 40 went to williamsburg bridge plz (via broadway & ralph av's)... the more northern part of the current B47.

funny how that all comes together, right....

That was Broadway Junction area i think it was Penn & liberty ave station to be exact for old B40. The B40 ran on Liberty, then onto Gaston, EAST NY Ave, St. John's and then up Ralph on the current 'new' B47 route.

Archived