Your First Subway Ride

The earlyest I remember was when I was in Pre-K and went on a class trip to Coney Island. Not to start a thread about an (F) express (I don't care what you are anyone else thinks should happen), I could have sworn it went express to CI. And at that time, I thought the R46s were new trains.

The earlyest I remember was when I was in Pre-K and went on a class trip to Coney Island. Not to start a thread about an (F) express (I don't care what you are anyone else thinks should happen), I could have sworn it went express to CI. And at that time, I thought the R46s were new trains.

Kinda funny because when I was little I thought the R46's were from the mid 90's

I can't recall my exact first ride, although my earliest memories are of riding R-46s on the (R) from the Bay Ridge section of the line. At the time, I too thought R-46s were the most contemporary cars since they had electronic side signs as opposed to the rollsigns of the newer R-68s.

If my mom told me right, when I was 1 or 2, we rode the subway for one whole day. All around NYC I think. God, I wish I can still remember doing that!

Other than that when I was 3 and riding on the (F) from Coney Island and 4 when I rode the (7)to Willets Pt-Shea Stadium(or as what it was called). Awesome trips.

and for the heck of it, bringing a gingerbread house made from school, riding the subway to my moms work to grab her paycheck and back. I felt embarassed caring that even though we should have stopped at home(which wasn't far from the school) first then go to her work.

My very first ride was on the summer of 1994 right after I turned 2. As I've stated many times, the first train that I boarded was R44 5377 on the A and I took it from 88 St to Broadway-Nassau before boarding an R40M J train to Canal St Chinatown. On my way home at Broadway Nassau, I boarded R44 5278 and fell asleep as soon as I hopped onto a bucket seat by the window. Since then, I got an R38 upon riding an A train almost every time as long as I remembered. For a while, I even thought that the bucket seated trains were gone from the A train to the B train in 1997 as the R68As felt just like the R44s when I was a lad. Though I wasn't satisfied with the R38s' bench seating and suspension, I never hated them and eventually loved them as they never failed me with broken doors, A/C, lights, breakdowns, and leaking roofs. It's ashamed that they were the first 60 ft SMEEs to be entirely wiped out.

My very first ride was on the summer of 1994 right after I turned 2. As I've stated many times, the first train that I boarded was R44 5377 on the A and I took it from 88 St to Broadway-Nassau before boarding an R40M J train to Canal St Chinatown. On my way home at Broadway Nassau, I boarded R44 5278 and fell asleep as soon as I hopped onto a bucket seat by the window. Since then, I got an R38 upon riding an A train almost every time as long as I remembered. For a while, I even thought that the bucket seated trains were gone from the A train to the B train in 1997 as the R68As felt just like the R44s when I was a lad. Though I wasn't satisfied with the R38s' bench seating and suspension, I never hated them and eventually loved them as they never failed me with broken doors, A/C, lights, breakdowns, and leaking roofs. It's ashamed that they were the first 60 ft SMEEs to be entirely wiped out.

You remember the car numbers when you were 2.. :eek:

You remember the car numbers when you were 2.. :eek:

I asked my mom why the cars had numbers and she told me that they were lucky numbers of the day! It was certainly a lucky number for the CNJ dangling train car of the 1959 Newark Bay wreck as it won so many people the lottery that week.

I was 17, going with my family on a day trip to the city, First line was 70(F) from 47-50. I dont remember wehre to, I know I wound up in Chinatown that day, or which subway I took back to Penn Station. The only reaosn I remember I was in 47-50 is the photo I took of the station.

My first trips were pre kindergarden and was from (J) 104 Street /Jamaica Avenue to (F)(J)(Z)Essex Street / Delancey Street. Me and my father would take the train atleast 4 times a week. I remember always riding in the front car and just staring out the front window the whole trip. I also rember T/O's having the cab doors open(either cracked or fully) and my father talking to the T/O's. I even had one T/O show me the inside of the cab but not entering his compartment while he was driving. man i really enjoy taking the train when i was a kid

It's funny that you guys mention baby pics,i do have one of me as a baby with my mother and my aunt on what i think is an R-27 or R-30 in it's original appearance.I would have to find it and post it up.I just remembered that would be my first actual first ride on a subway train.So me riding on the (G)(G) would be my first ride alone on a train.Sorry for any mixup.

I've been riding the subway for as long as I can remember, so I really remember taking a redbird (2) train at Church Avenue, my home station at the time until I turned 8. There were weekends my dad and I would take the subway for the whole day, and when I turned 10 I took the subway by myself for the first time from school to my dad's job. Now that he's gone, I often go on subtle little trips to remind myself the times my dad and I took the subway together for no real reason, but to also explore parts of the subway I hadn't been to at the time.

Wow I don't remember when I first started going on the train, but I do remember it usually involved me visiting my dad's job.

The first time I went on a train by myself (this is going to sound sad), but I began using the train by myself when I was 18 or 19. I'm 20 now. Considering that, I know the trains pretty well.

Archived