Your First Subway Ride

Wow I don't remember when I first started going on the train, but I do remember it usually involved me visiting my dad's job.

The first time I went on a train by myself (this is going to sound sad), but I began using the train by myself when I was 18 or 19. I'm 20 now. Considering that, I know the trains pretty well.

So how did you get around when you were 13-17 (before you had a license to drive, if you got one)

I don't remember my first subway ride of all time, but it was most likely on the (7) originating from Vernon/Jackson station, as we were living in nearby Greenpoint when I was born, and we never took the (G).

My first solo subway ride was in summer 2000 aboard a new R142 (2) train, from Borough Hall to 96th Street.

Wow I don't remember when I first started going on the train, but I do remember it usually involved me visiting my dad's job.

The first time I went on a train by myself (this is going to sound sad), but I began using the train by myself when I was 18 or 19. I'm 20 now. Considering that, I know the trains pretty well.

Don't feel bad Tina. I did not regularly taking the train by myself until I graduated from high school. I was 18. I'm 22 now. The first time I took the train myself when I got home from a field trip at Coney Island. I took the R46 (F) train to Bergen St to transfer to a R46 (G) train. I know the transit well since I was 5 years old. My first memory taking the train when I was with my mom and I took a R30 (C) train. I was 3 years old at the time.

the 1st train ride i remember was with my mom on the (E) and i think it was an r-16 and i remember the last stop southbound on the (E) was hudson terminal before the world trade center also remember taking the (1) to south ferry and everyone had to go into the 1st 5 cars

• 1 month later...

My first real subway ride by myself was a month after I turned 15. I say real because I didn't go directly to school until 10 in the morning since I didn't have to be there until that time (it was finals week, if anyone's asking). I got on an R32 (A) at Utica Avenue and rode it to Rockaway Boulevard. I got off there and waited for a train to go to Far Rockaway because that set was going to Lefferts. After an R44 (ugh) going to Rockaway and another R32 going to Lefferts, I got on an R38 going to Far Rockaway. It was awesome hitting 50 MPH to Borad Channel! At Far Rockaway I took the same consist back to Broad Channel and got on the Rockaway Park Shuttle for the first time, rode it to Rockaway Park, and then back to Broad Channel. Then I got on an R32/38 (A) train to 14th Street and took an (L) to Lorimer Street and headed to school, just in time for my 10:00 final.

My first real subway ride by myself was a month after I turned 15. I say real because I didn't go directly to school until 10 in the morning since I didn't have to be there until that time (it was finals week, if anyone's asking). I got on an R32 (A) at Utica Avenue and rode it to Rockaway Boulevard. I got off there and waited for a train to go to Far Rockaway because that set was going to Lefferts. After an R44 (ugh) going to Rockaway and another R32 going to Lefferts, I got on an R38 going to Far Rockaway. It was awesome hitting 50 MPH to Borad Channel! At Far Rockaway I took the same consist back to Broad Channel and got on the Rockaway Park Shuttle for the first time, rode it to Rockaway Park, and then back to Broad Channel. Then I got on an R32/38 (A) train to 14th Street and took an (L) to Lorimer Street and headed to school, just in time for my 10:00 final.

50 might be a stretch today on that line.

My first ride on the subway was back in around 93-94 I think it was on the (2)(3) one of those lmao I remember always wanting to take the " red " trains..matter fact I think it was an R62 so it had 2 be the(4)...cause I remember asking where are we going, and then we transfered to a red train from the one with the " colored seats ".

• 3 weeks later...

My first ride was in the early 1980s, probably '82 or '83 taking the (5) train to the Bronx Zoo. I have some spotty memories of it, mainly the screeching of the trains on the tracks going in and out of Grand Central and being on the El in the Bronx and seeing all the buildings. And, of course, the trains and stations being covered in graffiti.

My first solo ride, if I recall, was in 1993, taking the (D) train back into Midtown from Yankee Stadium after seeing a game there (a rare trip considering I am a Mets fan).

Archived