Favorite Tunnels

Holland Tunnel is definitely the best way in and out of the city to the west. Even before 9/11, the Holland Tunnel consists of just two tubes or 4 lanes. The Lincoln Tunnel on the other hand has 3 tubes or 6 lanes, but every Rush require at least a half-an-hour delay. Strangely enough, the GWB which has two levels or 12 lanes is the worst with at least an hour of delay in both directions during the Rushes. The Battery Tunnel is somewhat efficient in emergencies, but it's extremely expensive. If only the Gowanus approach on the BQE wasn't a bottleneck.

Holland Tunnel is definitely the best way in and out of the city to the west. Even before 9/11, the Holland Tunnel consists of just two tubes or 4 lanes. The Lincoln Tunnel on the other hand has 3 tubes or 6 lanes, but every Rush require at least a half-an-hour delay. Strangely enough, the GWB which has two levels or 12 lanes is the worst with at least an hour of delay in both directions during the Rushes. The Battery Tunnel is somewhat efficient in emergencies, but it's extremely expensive. If only the Gowanus approach on the BQE wasn't a bottleneck.

The GWB carries the interstate though, so it's always going to be packed.

- A

The Lincoln Tunnel, because a lot of buses go though that tunnel. If you drive though that tunnel with you car window down you can hear the Jake brakes @ engine sounds of the buses! I wish 18 wheeler trucks went though the Lincoln Tunnel because the Jake Brake on trucks is much louder than it its on buses. It makes for an awsome sound effect when in a tunnel.

I like the Lincoln Tunnel.

Does anyone like the Lincoln Tunnel Helix?

I do. It's great to drive around it when its not packed with cars and buses. The only thing I do not like is the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza. Twice it didn't scan my EZPass tag and twice I received two toll evasion violations. They were easily dismissed but I still had to get on the phone with them twice to dismiss it.

I do. It's great to drive around it when its not packed with cars and buses. The only thing I do not like is the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza. Twice it didn't scan my EZPass tag and twice I received two toll evasion violations. They were easily dismissed but I still had to get on the phone with them twice to dismiss it.

I always have that problem when I carpool on the 2nd Inbound Toll Lane of the Holland Tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel's a pretty cool tunnel...Brooklyn's first tunnel as well! I'd like to see a tunnel built between Manhattan and Staten Island, possibly called the Richmond-Battery Tunnel perhaps???

Who uses the Queens Midtown Tunnel besides express buses? A smart motorist will save money and use the 59 street bridge.

Because what you gain in money, you lose in time spent. If you've ever tried to get off the LIE at Van Dam St at 8 am on a weekday, you'd know what I mean. Same thing at 31st Street on the GCP. I'd rather spend $5.50 than spend an extra 45 minutes trying to get into the city.

Well, that 5.50 can get you lunch and if you are not car pooling, I'd recommend you take the subway, even faster and cheaper. That is a good tip, use money wisely.

OH HELL NO!!!! I can ride the subway for free and I still drive in whenever possible. My car never makes local stops due to GO's, never has screaming babies in it, never has people inside who cough with their mouth uncovered, never asks you to swipe again, never makes you wait 20+ minutes for it, and most importantly: always has a seat for its passenger. The only time I am forced to take the subway is when I am going to Midtown Manhattan on a weekday when parking your car for free, even on alternate side, is simply not an option.

There are some things that are worth going out of the way to save money for; however, this is not one of them (you betcha). But, I do appreciate your tip.

Speaking of busfanning, I think the BM5 uses the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

From New Jersey, NJT's (NJT) #125 from Journal Square and #123 from Christ Hospital on Palisade Avenue in Jersey City as does Red And Tan In Hudson County's #99S use the Lincoln Tunnel.

NJT's (NJT) #112 which serves Elizabeth en route to Scotch Plains, New Jersey does also.

Archived