Questions about the 5 train

Tinamarie

I wanted more clearer information about the (5) train going to Flatbush Avenue. From what time to what time will it be going to Brooklyn College? I know the hours have been extended. I just wanted more clearer info because I keep hearing different times. Also does anyone know if this is permanent or temporary?

doesn't the (5) line go to Crown Hts Utica Avenue

7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.? 3p.m - 5:30p.m.. so (5) line store

their R142 in Liviona Yard home of (2) , (3) , (4) and how about

(6) line ( only rush hours )

I know someone who works the Lexington Avenue line, and this conductor told me that the (5) is always a laugh for the train crew as passengers always get confused as to what terminal the (5) will use on the current trip. The conductor told me that the (5) still occasionally turns at Bowling Green, but also runs out to Flatbush Avenue, Crown Heights-Utica Avenue due to limited space on the Nostrand Avenue segment, and also to New Lots Avenue on some trips. As far as R142's being stored at Livonia, I don't know anything about that. I'm sure others will have the answer to that.

I'm guessing the service will be permanent, they did test it before and seems to work out fine.

doesn't the (5) line go to Crown Hts Utica Avenue

7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.? 3p.m - 5:30p.m.. so (5) line store

their R142 in Liviona Yard home of (2) , (3) , (4) and how about

(6) line ( only rush hours )

There are a few trips to/from Crown Heights, presumably put-ins. It is the home of the 3 line. But the 2, 4 and 5 trains store trains here occasionally because their yards are all in the Bronx. It's just like how the F has a satellite at Ave X, etc...

The 6???

The change is permanent because passengers mainly complained about waiting too long for a (2) train to go to Flatbush Avenue during middays; I was one of them. It's funny how the (5) was going to be extended even in the midst of so many service cuts what would have taken place if the MTA didn't get a bailout, though.

As for R142s being stored at Livonia, that's true. I've even seen Redbirds back in 2001 being stored there, which meant the (2), <4> and <5> started at New Lots Avenue or Utica Avenue as rush hour put-ins. It is similar to the (R) train starting at Canal Street (trains that start/end here are layed up at the City Hall Lower level) or 36th Street (those trains come from the 36th Street Yard).

The change is permanent because passengers mainly complained about waiting too long for a (2) train to go to Flatbush Avenue during middays; I was one of them. It's funny how the (5) was going to be extended even in the midst of so many service cuts what would have taken place if the MTA didn't get a bailout, though.

As for R142s being stored at Livonia, that's true. I've even seen Redbirds back in 2001 being stored there, which meant the (2), <4> and <5> started at New Lots Avenue or Utica Avenue as rush hour put-ins. It is similar to the (R) train starting at Canal Street (trains that start/end here are layed up at the City Hall Lower level) or 36th Street (those trains come from the 36th Street Yard).

When the recession, is it possible for the (5) to have full time 6am-Midnight 7 day service to Brooklyn end? IMO the current set up is fine with (5) service southbound terminal ending/start at Bowling Green Weekday evenings appx. 9-1130pm and weekend 6am-11pm.

I'm actually very happy about this since I am going to a new college this semester and this change is pretty much in good timing. ;)

From my Dyre 70(5), heres the Following For BX to Man to BK and Back

(5)Weekdays:

AM Rush:

6:45 AM(Around) to 9:45(Around)

From ether Eastchester Dyre-Avenue or 238th WPR to Flatbush Avenue. (Via White Plains Road Express E180th to 149th to Manhattan) Limited Trains to/from New Lots and/or Utica. And Of course Some trains ends at Bowling Green, seen it before to help ease congesting in Kings County.

Some Northbound Trains end at E180th after 10AM to 11:15AM for Yard 180th/Union Port(Via Local and/or Express Northbound along WPR[bronx])

Midday 9:45AM to 4:15PM:

To/From Dyre Avenue to Flatbush Avenue. Local via White Plains Road Line(WPR)(South of E180th), Express in Manattan and Brooklyn.

PM RUSH 4:15PM to 9PM:

To/From Dyre Avenue and to/From Flatbush. (As well as some trains to/from Utica/New Lots). To 238th as well , peak Direction(Northbound)

Northbound Trains Express on WPR Line from 149th to E180th.

Most 238th Bound Trains Express to Gun Hill Road and ends there to head directly to 239tH yard

Evening: 8:45PM to 11:30PM

Manhattan Bound Trains from bronx county starts to go to Bowling Greem.

Nights:

11:30PM to 5:45AM Service runs from E180th to Dyre as an (S) but same (5). OPTO.

Weekends: 6AM to 11:15PM to/from Dyre to Bowling Green,

Nights: 11:30PM to 5/6AM Dyre Shuttle(S)

Hope that helps a bit

This looks like total a service increase, but it isn't. They are having more (5) service, but the (4) will have less service than before. Service overall will break even. So it isn't costing the (MTA) much.

This looks like total a service increase, but it isn't. They are having more (5) service, but the (4) will have less service than before. Service overall will break even. So it isn't costing the (MTA) much.

The only 'losers' in this 'minor' service change is woodlawn line riders between Woodlawn and 161-YS stops middays between 10am-3pm Monday-Fridays:(

The only 'losers' in this 'minor' service change is woodlawn line riders between Woodlawn and 161-YS stops middays between 10am-3pm Monday-Fridays:(

Basically, yeah, if midday (4) service is being cut somewhat. But at least you have alternate choices if you want to get someplace. The (3) does fine a job even running local; it's just two stops.

If the Concourse line aka (:( and (D) lines had a transfer to the Lex Line other than Broadway-Lafayffete, that one thing. However many Woodlawn riders are going to the East Side and can only use the (4).

Another example of why CBTC would be helpful in near future so the Lex line could squeeze another couple of trains per hour weekdays.

The (4) is a wee bit overserved, during middays that section has quite a good load of trains. If passengers complain, they are free to take the Concourse line (just 2 blocks away)

Exactly. Although Concourse runs every 10 minutes instead 6-8 (which is the (4)'s current midday headway), it gets the job done. And for us over on the East of Eastern Pkwy, the (3) provides 8 minute midday service, which is just enough to handle things if there's not a (4) at Utica, and people want to go to Franklin. Plus that section of the Eastern Pkwy Local (as opposed to Franklin-Atlantic) is very fast. So, the (4) is kind of set when it comes to alternative options.

Exactly. Although Concourse runs every 10 minutes instead 6-8 (which is the (4)'s current midday headway), it gets the job done. And for us over on the East of Eastern Pkwy, the (3) provides 8 minute midday service, which is just enough to handle things if there's not a (4) at Utica, and people want to go to Franklin. Plus that section of the Eastern Pkwy Local (as opposed to Franklin-Atlantic) is very fast. So, the (4) is kind of set when it comes to alternative options.

And express service along Eastern Parkway between Atlantic and Franklin isn't reduced either. Plus people along Nostrand Avenue will have better service. It's a not that bad of a "loss".

The (D) at 161 St during some midday periods is actually above MTA's weekday midday loading guidelines [100% seated load] unless things have changed recently. Too bad the (:( couldn't end at 167 St off peak it would help especially after 7pm...

In any case the (D) will not be attractive (except during late nights since it runs 24/7 express) especially when it is late.

Service along the Lexington Avenue Express combined (4) and (5) has slightly declined during middays since the change.

Archived