Post your photos of incorrect rollsigns and station signs

NYCTNostalgia

W 8 St – Aquarium ... neat, although an odd place to terminate. The new R-68 rolls are the only signs with the neighborhood names for key stations. I'd still like to roll through one sometime and see if 95 St is listed on there as Brooklyn, Bay Ridge, or Fort Hamilton (old-school).

What I really don't understand is how some of these places are terminals. I mean can Pacific street or West 8th street or 18th Avenue (F) actually function as a terminal?

I think it has to do with Line expansion back in the old days or maybe for turn arounds/yards?

Its like the (1) Somestimes end at 137th for Yard Access at 137th. (6) Ending at 125th Street since the (4) would run local, and the (6) would be Pelham Local from Pelham Bay Park the Bronx to E125th Manhattan (Till 1998 when it was extended to City hall Bk Bridge late nights)

I dunno

R32 (6) train?!?!?! In our dreams!

I didnt know that 167th st was a term... :confused:

It could be, there's a pocket track north of the station next to the southbound track.

And I believe I have a picture of an incorrect rollsign myself, my profile picture!:

TraintoShuttle-1.jpg

I took this picture on a Monday. There was a G.O. on the weekend where (A) trains didn't run between Utica Avenue and Jay Street. Because there was no Utica Avenue north destination (or south, for the matter), Shuttle was used instead. I call it "Train to Shuttle".

whoa! They trains with plane signs? When did they have that

That was the JFK Express, also known as The Train to the Plane. It used to run 4-car trains (all R46 cars), and carried passengers "super-express" to Howard Beach-JFK station. The service operated from September 1978 to April 1990 before being discontinued due to low ridership.

The route originally had its northern terminal at 57th St on the Sixth Avenue line, but was extended to 21st St-Queensbridge (in Queens) after the 63rd St line was opened. It followed the Sixth and Eighth Avenue lines and made its last stop to pick up passengers at Jay Street in Downtown Brooklyn before running non-stop on the Fulton St and Rockaway line to Howard Beach.

A one-way ticket on the (JFK) cost $6.50, but Howard Beach and Rockaway residents were allowed to use the service for $3.50 per ride. At Howard Beach it transferred passengers to a shuttle bus to JFK as the AirTrain did not exist back then.

That was the JFK Express, also known as The Train to the Plane. It used to run 4-car trains (all R46 cars), and carried passengers "super-express" to Howard Beach-JFK station. The service operated from September 1978 to April 1990 before being discontinued due to low ridership.

The route originally had its northern terminal at 57th St on the Sixth Avenue line, but was extended to 21st St-Queensbridge (in Queens) after the 63rd St line was opened. It followed the Sixth and Eighth Avenue lines and made its last stop to pick up passengers at Jay Street in Downtown Brooklyn before running non-stop on the Fulton St and Rockaway line to Howard Beach.

A one-way ticket on the (JFK) cost $6.50, but Howard Beach and Rockaway residents were allowed to use the service for $3.50 per ride. At Howard Beach it transferred passengers to a shuttle bus to JFK as the AirTrain did not exist back then.

Don't forget that during GOs, rides of all sorts were allowed to use the train without having to pay the premium fare.

And MAA89, the (Q6) and the (JFK) ran together on 63rd Street?

R32 (6) train?!?!?! In our dreams!

Are those the cars preserved at the Transit Museum?

And I believe I have a picture of an incorrect rollsign myself, my profile picture!:

TraintoShuttle-1.jpg

I took this picture on a Monday. There was a G.O. on the weekend where (A) trains didn't run between Utica Avenue and Jay Street. Because there was no Utica Avenue north destination (or south, for the matter), Shuttle was used instead. I call it "Train to Shuttle".

I suppose they tried to reassure Manhattan-bound riders that (A) service continued and that a free shuttle was available, but anyone who uses the subway regularly and is familiar with G.O.s will know that, and tourists visiting the Rockaway beaches would have taken the shuttle on their way to the Rockaways, so need not be informed again. Nice catch, nonetheless!

Cool thanks for the info;)

And MAA89, the (Q6) and the (JFK) ran together on 63rd Street?

I guess so. I find the history of the (Q)/(Q6)/<Q>/<QB>/<QT> train confusing.

And I often wonder, if the seats on the (JFK) were full and there was standing room only, were the premium fare-payers preferentially offered seating? Not to be divisive or anything, but if I paid $6.50 back in 1978 I would want a guaranteed seat. Except that enforcing this would be difficult: imagine a conductor forcing a Rockaways or G.O. passenger to give up a seat. I don't know how they managed to make it work, but overpaying tourists with several suitcases might not be too happy if they had to stand.

I often wish the (JFK) was back: the journey from West 4th St to Howard Beach would then be cut from about 40 minutes to 25, and even an onward journey to the Rockaways wouldn't be so bad. (I would gladly pay twice the fare today to get from Lower Manhattan to the Rockaways in 35 minutes or less).

I guess so. I find the history of the (Q)/(Q6)/<Q>/<QB>/<QT> train confusing.

And I often wonder, if the seats on the (JFK) were full and there was standing room only, were the premium fare-payers preferentially offered seating? Not to be divisive or anything, but if I paid $6.50 back in 1978 I would want a guaranteed seat. Except that enforcing this would be difficult: imagine a conductor forcing a Rockaways or G.O. passenger to give up a seat. I don't know how they managed to make it work, but overpaying tourists with several suitcases might not be too happy if they had to stand.

I often wish the (JFK) was back: the journey from West 4th St to Howard Beach would then be cut from about 40 minutes to 25, and even an onward journey to the Rockaways wouldn't be so bad. (I would gladly pay twice the fare today to get from Lower Manhattan to the Rockaways in 35 minutes or less).

I really wonder. I don't think the car doors all opened at once; one door may have been keyed open to let passengers, after they obtain a ticket at the station and give it to the conductor, and then were allowed on board. But during GO, the premium fare was canceled and all passengers, airport-bound or not, were allowed without having to pay the premium fare.

I found a link by Zach (Brighton Local) that shows a little history of the (Q) train after double letters were dropped: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=177510483&blogID=265209556

I really wonder. I don't think the car doors all opened at once; one door may have been keyed open to let passengers, after they obtain a ticket at the station and give it to the conductor, and then were allowed on board. But during GO, the premium fare was canceled and all passengers, airport-bound or not, were allowed without having to pay the premium fare.

I found a link by Zach (Brighton Local) that shows a little history of the (Q) train after double letters were dropped: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=177510483&blogID=265209556

Thanks for the link.

Even if the system you described worked by letting on premium passengers first, on a busy day (not that there were too many on the (JFK)), there would have had to be standing airport-bound passengers. Maybe an older member on this forum, who was there when the (JFK) service was offered (and may have ridden it) would be able to clarify.

Probably the moral of the story is that a subway line should not claim to be an airport rail link provider. The current system makes sense: passengers choose to take the (A) or the (E) knowing they may have to stand (they should take a taxi if unwilling to stand), and the short trip on the AirTrain means it doesn't really matter if you are sitting or standing.

What I really don't understand is how some of these places are terminals. I mean can Pacific street or West 8th street or 18th Avenue (F) actually function as a terminal?

I recall Pacific St being used as a North terminal for the (N) during some weekend GOs back when the Broadway (or 6 Av) tracks of the Manhattan Bridge were closed, but not recently. The signs include many readings which have probably never seen the light of day, but since they have the ability to turn trains are listed anyway in the event that it would be needed. In reality 18 Av/McDonald would probably never be used since Kings Hwy or Av X would be more ideal if a train wasn't going all the way to Stillwell.

Pacific Street was the weekend and late night north terminal for the (N) from September 2002 till February 2004.

There it is ... frustrating times on the 4 Av Line during those nights & weekends.

Unless it's an arnine fantrip trying to go home ;)

And lets hope the tower will know ahead of time. :confused:

Archived