R17 6688

sconnick

Is it me or are the brakes on R17 6688 up at BERA really "grabby?"

It took a little more finesse than I thought it would to get it to stop nicely...

Maybe it's just me. :confused:

You gotta remember that it's only one car, not a 10 car train rolling down the Lex.

I think it might. Every time I operate which usually means a yard move, I get nice smooth stops from 6688. At slow speeds with a SMEE (under 10mph) the breaking is all air, no dynamics.
Yup. The 6688 is nice and smooth. Problem is that people take too much brake when slowing down instead of taking a little break first and then taking a bigger bite. Look how happy tools operates, he makes that car stop harsh.

The brakes are grabby compared to some of the SMEE cars in the system today, however that said there is certainly a way to handle that car very smoothly while braking. Primarily it is difficult to be smooth using the dynamics, but it can be done. Just watch your air gauge and don't make any sudden pulls on the brake handle. It can take some practice to get used to.

Stopping at slow speed with that car I find very easy but you have to have a good feel for it or you will take too much air and your face will meet the front window glass.

The brakes are grabby compared to some of the SMEE cars in the system today, however that said there is certainly a way to handle that car very smoothly while braking. Primarily it is difficult to be smooth using the dynamics, but it can be done. Just watch your air gauge and don't make any sudden pulls on the brake handle. It can take some practice to get used to.

Stopping at slow speed with that car I find very easy but you have to have a good feel for it or you will take too much air and your face will meet the front window glass.

I think I know the 6688s sweet spots in stopping her nicely. What do you think?

I think I know the 6688s sweet spots in stopping her nicely. What do you think?

Yeah you're getting better at it. Everyone's a little rough the first time, then you learn and smooth it out (except Happy Tools)

I think it's time for you to try AMUE ;)

Also, Julio, I agree with BroadwayBuffer here. Man up and operate some REAL old time equipment. "Big boy time" now...

And you should know by now BVE does not even come CLOSE to the real thing :(

Also, Julio, I agree with BroadwayBuffer here. Man up and operate some REAL old time equipment. "Big boy time" now...

And you should know by now BVE does not even come CLOSE to the real thing :(

Fine, I'll "man" up and do the Low-V next time I'm up. ;) I know BVE doesn't match up to the real thing. In BVE the AMUE trains take air in like 1ms and unless you quickly put it into lap, you will take too much air when you put it into lap and you will jerk the train into a quick stop.

Fine, I'll "man" up and do the Low-V next time I'm up. ;) I know BVE doesn't match up to the real thing. In BVE the AMUE trains take air in like 1ms and unless you quickly put it into lap, you will take too much air when you put it into lap and you will jerk the train into a quick stop.

Well that and BVE does not simulate the "feel" of AMUE (yes, I'm not AMUEsed, buh dum tshhh - always wanted to use that one...). Like if you tease the valve into service, you will let air into the cylinders alot slower than if you move into a full-on 6 oclock position. Same goes for releasing. There is "slow release" and you can just put the handle all the way to the glass and lose all your air and be in coast in no time. BVE fails to grap these nuances of train operation which is why when anyone says "oh I operated that train in BVE I can do it in real life" and I laugh, particularly if they've never operated anything before.

Not to mention if you put the controller in the third point and leave it there, your train will NOT be doing 60 MPH by the time you've counted to 10.

Well that and BVE does not simulate the "feel" of AMUE (yes, I'm not AMUEsed, buh dum tshhh - always wanted to use that one...). Like if you tease the valve into service, you will let air into the cylinders alot slower than if you move into a full-on 6 oclock position. Same goes for releasing. There is "slow release" and you can just put the handle all the way to the glass and lose all your air and be in coast in no time. BVE fails to grap these nuances of train operation which is why when anyone says "oh I operated that train in BVE I can do it in real life" and I laugh, particularly if they've never operated anything before.

Not to mention if you put the controller in the third point and leave it there, your train will NOT be doing 60 MPH by the time you've counted to 10.

I think I'll be good since I have a understanding of the AMUE system, if anything I'm sure Thurston will just dump the train.:eek:

I think I'll be good since I have a understanding of the AMUE system, if anything I'm sure Thurston will just dump the train.:eek:

LOL. Not sure who's going to be helping out that day but you've met most so if not Thurston maybe someone else, who knows... In all seriousness You should do fine, just remember when you go into service not to go too far ("chow") and remember to always return to lap and you'll be alright. If Buffer could do it his second time operating BERA equipment you can get it no problem.

LOL. Not sure who's going to be helping out that day but you've met most so if not Thurston maybe someone else, who knows... In all seriousness You should do fine, just remember when you go into service not to go too far ("chow") and remember to always return to lap and you'll be alright. If Buffer could do it his second time operating BERA equipment you can get it no problem.
Jimmy was my first instructor, Thurston has been my instructor on the rest of my trips. The Emergency/Dump position is the same on the Low-V as the R17?

Jimmy was my first instructor, Thurston has been my instructor on the rest of my trips. The Emergency/Dump position is the same on the Low-V as the R17?

Hey Julio. As I recall, the train will dump if you move the handle past the 6 o'clock position. However, you don't need to actually dump a Lo-V, but rather take some air, LAP it, and take out the handle. The break handle is taken in and out in the LAP position as opposed to SMEE. SubwayGuy can clarify if my memory is foggy.

Hey Julio. As I recall, the train will dump if you move the handle past the 6 o'clock position. However, you don't need to actually dump a Lo-V, but rather take some air, LAP it, and take out the handle. The break handle is taken in and out in the LAP position as opposed to SMEE. SubwayGuy can clarify if my memory is foggy.
Didn't Thurston make you dump the train?

Didn't Thurston make you dump the train?

Yes but you don't need to. As Buffer says below, the "handle off" position falls within the lap range, so all you need to do is take a bite of air to hold the train where you are (5-10 pounds is enough), move the handle to lap, and take the handle out. Then you can charge from the other end (charge is in the release or electric hold position on an AMUE car). No dump required.

That's about right. 3 ways to dump an AMUE car: 1-Let go of the deadman without the reverser centered (duh). 2-Move the handle past 6 oclock (towards 5:30 or 5 o clock) and you will dump. There is no "notch" or detent like on a SMEE car however, go to far and all you will feel is nothing but you'll HEAR the chow and feel your face kissing the front window glass. 3-Move the handle to service brake position and leave it there. Once you build up 35 pounds of air (air gauge DROPS 35 pounds because it's Automatic, not Straight air - the "A" in AMUE vs the "S" in SMEE), the valve will open and blow air, which will prevent you from taking more of service brake. But The gauge will continue going down. If you leave it in service until the gauge shows you've built up 50 pounds of air (air gauge drops 50 pounds), you'll go into emergency.

See above. Don't go past 6 o clock :(

So pretty much the same as the R17 except that there isn't that little resistance point from full service and emergency. Gotcha. :tup: Your lives are going to be in my hands, muahahaha, safely of course! :cool:

Yup no detents in the brake valve anywhere (there used to be MANY years ago but no more, they've worn away but even so they were never quite like the R17 anyway), it'll just feel "silky smooth" as you move the brake handle.

You'll do fine, and if you pull a happy tools we'll pull the cord on ya and stop safely if not smoothly :(

Yup no detents in the brake valve anywhere (there used to be MANY years ago but no more, they've worn away but even so they were never quite like the R17 anyway), it'll just feel "silky smooth" as you move the brake handle.

You'll do fine, and if you pull a happy tools we'll pull the cord on ya and stop safely if not smoothly :(

Don't know how happy tools has yet mastered operating smoothly with all those trips that his mom pays for lol. Hope he never comes into the TA, I would hate to be a passenger aboard his train lol

Yeah you're getting better at it. Everyone's a little rough the first time, then you learn and smooth it out (except Happy Tools)

And you should know by now BVE does not even come CLOSE to the real thing B)

Get that R9 motor in so we could push that old bad boy yehhh that's what I'm waitin' for:cool:

Get that R9 motor in so we could push that old bad boy yehhh that's what I'm waitin' for:cool:

Yep we're working on it. It's a big job. A lot of electrical work to make the jacks work, then we'll try to get the car up in the air and do the swap as soon as that's done. Don't know when that will be, depends on what happens when we try it out for the first time. If it's smooth, we might be good to go. If it's crash boom bang, we juuust might have some more work first B)

Archived