Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
NovaBUSRTS9145

What would make a Better Engine?

Okay folks, as some of you know there are 2 types of Novas In NYC. One very small small amount with Cummins M11E Engines, the rest with Detroit Diesel Series 50 Engines. What engine would be better for NYC's usage?

Okay folks, as some of you know there are 2 types of Novas In NYC. One very small small amount with Cummins M11E Engines, the rest with Detroit Diesel Series 50 Engines. What engine would be better for NYC's usage?

I like the Cummins, but I'll still prefer DD S50!

I only like the Cummins due to the power. Bee-Line had them with their powerhouse 5 Metro Flexible B's (875, 876, 877, 878, and 879), and those 600-700 series Orion V's they have now.........

If specifically for RTS's, never drove the Cummins ones, only the DD50, even though I trained out Fresh Pond which had the Cummins too.........

i say neither the DD50 or a Cummins M11 should be in em, a Cummins ISL will get the job done and sound good B)

i say neither the DD50 or a Cummins M11 should be in em, a Cummins ISL will get the job done and sound good :o

IMO, The ISL's are weak. They sound too plain to me!!

Detroit (D)'s man but if you wanna make your trip hot then I recmmd Rolls Royce Jet Engine Verrrry Nice great success:cool:(K)<R>

Besides Jet Engines!!! LMAO!! But them Rolls Royce's are badass!!!!

Keep the (D)(D)50's around, but looks like Cummins is taking the industry.

Well they don't make the DD50's anymore the only companies building for Buses are CAT and Cummins!!!

IMO, The ISL's are weak. They sound too plain to me!!

If you haven't been here yet, come to Westchester County and ride the Bee-Line 600-700series............

If you haven't been here yet, come to Westchester County and ride the Bee-Line 600-700series............

No I have rode them already....they sound good but I still don't like them like that!!!

Yeah those have the Cummins ISM going on, the Cummins ISL is in the 800s.

I liked the old two-cycle Detroits before they were outlawed for excessive pollution. In all iterations, 4,6, 8, even 12 cylinder either straight or 'V', they were the best bus engines in the world and dominated the industry for several decades. My favorite soundwise was the old straight 6-71.

I haven't seen (or heard) one of the new Designline buses yet. I believe they have Capstone microturbines. I love to hear a jet or turbine engine especially when it spools up from start to full speed.

Detroit Diesels Series 92 hands down. Don't know why they discontinued this workhorse in transit applications. Was a great motor that got good mileage before overhauls.

Detroit Diesel sounds better. They sing sweet music under power. The Cummins may be powerful but don't sounds nearly as good. I remember riding the 600 Bee-Line Orions and I was like WTF, expecting to hear Detroit Diesel 50 series.