My 3-year-old trip to Toronto

tramrunner

Hallow everyone:

I am very pleased that I found the forum, where I can discuss everyting about all transit systems on American Continent. Lets just start with Toronto, and TTC.

the trip notes, are here I am realy sorry that transit photos are not in abundance. the city itself charmed me too.

By trip was guided by Mike Vainchtein, the webmasted of the www.transitstop.net. Thanks to him I was lucky to see alot. ... With a much higher day rate as in New York, where I live.

I was inspired to visit Toronto only thanks to

Mike's Transit Stop .

This webiste has a lot of photos of Toronto Streetcars, Trains, and Buses ... as well us some foreign transit.

Even thought I was viewving this site everyday, and communicating with int webmaster I felt very sceptical of comming to Toronto. But when I came, I realized that my choice to go - was the best! :)

----------------------------------------------

Dont hesitate to go to Torotno, is order to get through border you just need a valid US Passport, or a "Green Card".

I was inspired to visit Toronto only thanks to

Mike's Transit Stop .

This webiste has a lot of photos of Toronto Streetcars, Trains, and Buses ... as well us some foreign transit.

Even thought I was viewving this site everyday, and communicating with int webmaster I felt very sceptical of comming to Toronto. But when I came, I realized that my choice to go - was the best! :)

----------------------------------------------

Dont hesitate to go to Torotno, is order to get through border you just need a valid US Passport, or a "Green Card".

I have my passport. It's still good for another 5 years. I visited Germany in 2003. I never made it to Canada as close as it is.

As of me, the question is hard. TTC is much cleaner and newer. Unlike NYC it has streetcars. However, TTC has just 3 subway lines, and 1 LRT lines.

I liked its transfer points where you can enter a bus through any door, without showing your pass to the driver which is a time consuming.

NYC Subway is much more diverse in terms of fleet. However later on, no one knows how it will be.

However there is no metrocard flexibility in TTC. They still use paper tickets and transfers. And you can transfer just of a spot, not anywhere in a city.

to trainfan22: what do you like more: NYC transit system or TTC?

as of me, every time I pass through the Sheepshead Bay Station. I feel bad seeng how do the passengers transfer to B36. Why not make it similar to some transfer points in Toronto :confused:

PS the pictures from that site ane NOT made by me. They are made by Mike

since their R160ies are very similar to R143s

and look like just the modernized version of R68s.

More: New PATH cars will be very similar to R143s, and we will no longer see path trains. Unfortunately thie diversity's end is close. .....

That's why I use my any chance to ride R40, R40M, and R42 subway cars. As well as PATH train.

When I was in Toronto, I was lucky to ride their H5 and H6 cars, but mostly I rode T-1s. However TTC promises some new subway cars. As well as new streetcars.

I meantiioned it, bacause is the cities where I was grown up - there is astriking difference between train streetcar and troleybus interiors. Now even in Eur0ope all the transprotation looks like similar.

For example

an interior of the Czech Tram (Tatra-T3)

(an interious of an older unit)

looks like absolutely different form the interior of buses and troleybuses.

In TTC anywhere you will find red seats, and same american style with entrance through the first door, and no separate cabin for a driver. THere is a rumor by t ehway that Toronto is going to order some new streetcar in 2009, presumably from SKODA.

Archived