Why is there only late night service aka 2 lines on weekends on Path lines?

Shortline Bus

First of all I am sorry if this been asked before. Why is there only late night service aka 2 lines on weekends on Path lines?

I admit i dont take Path often and couple of weeks ago was the first time in couple of years i taken it on a weekend. I was surprised as I was going from WTC/Lower Manhattan stop to Pavoina-Newport mall in JC, that the Hoboken-WTC line was not running on a Saturday afternoon. Ditto for the Hoboken-

33rd Street line.

Going back to Manhattan boarding at Hoboken after taking a ride on (NJT)HBLR the PATH on a Saturday at 8pm was crushloaded Rush Hour type crowded:mad::tdown:. Still all '4' lines imo should run on Saturdays at least until 10pm.

I assume it because of work at the WTC on why the Hoboken-33rd and WTC-Hoboken does not run on weekends? However both lines especially the Journal Sq-33rd routes is badly overcrowded especially Saturday evenings from 3-9pm.

Can someone explain the reason? Thanks in advance.

I assume it's to cut costs. No different from the certain lines like the (B) not running on the weekends.

I know that all '4' lines on the Path ran on weekends as well until maybe 2-3 years ago. The ecomony or work at WTC is only reason i think for the cut in weekend service.

As compromise run all '4' lines on Path at least Saturdays 8am-9pm as well as weekdays:mad:.

Not really 100% to cut costs, but having longer headways on 2 routes vs 4 uses less equipment and puts less wear as a result, and then yes, less crewing saves money. Peak pax load just has too much demand to use this pattern, so they use it at nights, and to save money they do it on the weekend too.

;)

- A

Not really 100% to cut costs, but having longer headways on 2 routes vs 4 uses less equipment and puts less wear as a result, and then yes, less crewing saves money. Peak pax load just has too much demand to use this pattern, so they use it at nights, and to save money they do it on the weekend too.

;)

- A

Good points. Still i wish the PATH management would be aware of the rush hour SRO conditions on the 33rd Street-Journal Sq line when it stopped at Hoboken on a recent Satutday evening around 8pm.

When i boaraded at Newport-Pavoina heading back to the 'city' there was only couple of riders standing. When we got to Hoboken the train got SRO crowded. Many of the riders seem to be young adults in their 20/early 30's going to clubs and or bars/pubs in the Greenwich Village area. Many people got off at both 9th and 14th Street stations though.

Based on this experience IMO Path should run all '4' lines on Saturdays as a compromise at least from about 8am-9pm.

Why should riders on any line have to deal with rush hour crowding 7 days a week?:mad:

They are going to be instituting 10 car trains by this time next year if not sooner on the red line. I don't remember offhand how long the platforms are on the blue line, so i'm not sure if that would get 10 or not, same with the yellow line, i am not sure of the length of the platform at pavonia newport, which intersects the yellow and green lines.

If the older "tube" stations can fit 10 cars then i suspect they will be 10 cars during peak period. PATH ordered additional PA5 cars to implement this service. I can tell you, that adding just one car will improve crowding, so they may do it 24 hours, it's a wait & see for now. They could also run 24 hour 10 car trains on the red line, which is by far the busiest, since there is no HBLR or one seat bus ride that can also take pax end to end. There's a lot of options.

- A

Maybe a dumb question but when PATH offered weekend service on all four lines between 9am and 7pm, how frequent were the Hoboken-W.T.C. and Hoboken-33d Street service?

Similar to headways during middays Monday-Fridays and early evenings.

I think every 12-15 minutes on Hoboken-W.T.C. line and every 10-12 minutes on Hoboken-33d Street (correct me if i am wrong guys)and it needs to return at least on Saturdays.

I'm certain that after the permanent PATH terminal is completed, there will be a weekend service from HOB to WTC. Not everyone would like to take a NWK train to Grove, transfer to a 33 Via HOB train and ride it one stop into Newport. Not fun.

Correct, right now on weekends & overnight one of the tracks on platform B (usually hoboken service there) is used to lay up a train because the temp layup track is torn up. You'd need 4 tracks on 2 platforms to do it properly plus a layup track.

- A

Archived