Merging BRT!

mark1447

This is for discussion on Merging BRT buses for transfers, nothing else, so lets not go off, thx!

I was wondering if the (MTA) and MaBSTOA would ever merge all +SBSs so there is a transfer point between them.

For example i find it weird that the Bronx 12+SBS is just one whole single line just transferring with Local Buses from KB/GH/WF and the Subway/EL its passes, and no way for future connection, such as the M15 +SBS and even Nostrands B44+SBS in future and so..

I dont see anything on this in P.29 of the (MTA) 2010-2914 Capitl Plan Ebook:

http://mta.info/mta/pdf/CP/ProposedProgram.pdf

Anyways would u think this would ever happen? Besides money making into this!

Seriously, I hope they create a true network for the SBS lines. But remember, the Bx12, M15, B44, S79 routes are demonstration corridors, which mean the system can be expanded if these corridors work well (and if there is any political incentive, money or interest into it). I will suggest the following if all three are present:

-Turn the M34 into a true SBS line

-Extend the M15 SBS into The Hub at least (149th Street and Third Ave)

-Have an SBS line substituting the Bx55 line (create transfers at Fordham Plaza and The Hub)

-Consider the feasiblities of having an SBS line along the western half of Northern Blvd (Q66) and an SBS line along the Q44 line. (Transfer point pre-existing, may be rendered better)

Seriously, I hope they create a true network for the SBS lines. But remember, the Bx12, M15, B44, S79 routes are demonstration corridors, which mean the system can be expanded if these corridors work well (and if there is any political incentive, money or interest into it). I will suggest the following if all three are present:

-Turn the M34 into a true SBS line

-Extend the M15 SBS into The Hub at least (149th Street and Third Ave)

-Have an SBS line substituting the Bx55 line (create transfers at Fordham Plaza and The Hub)

-Consider the feasiblities of having an SBS line along the western half of Northern Blvd (Q66) and an SBS line along the Q44 line. (Transfer point pre-existing, may be rendered better)

Yup I rly hope, becuz if its only just lines apart then I dont consider that a SBS Network too.

I would also do teh Q60 seeing its a Long route from Manhattan to Jamaica. Maybe even extend to Penn Station too.

I also heard an SI version of the SBS will be added? I saw a picture of future SBS routes in the PDF doc

Definently the Q-60, It really need +~SBS~+ feature. The Q-60 runs on the major Queens Blvd. Corridor and is one of the most heavily used route in Queens so, it definently need it in order to make passenger more comfortable and understandable to when the next bus will come.

im wondering if its not set up for +SBS since QBL runs along and on the western part the Flushing line runs on it up to 46th st

TBH, I do not think that Q60 is a good candidate for SBS. It needs enhanced bus service, but not exactly SBS. And Mark, the line is already long, so I'm not sure how a Manhattan extension would affect the service. It would be cool though, to have one bus line connecting railway hubs at both ends, but not that necessary. I don't expect a businessman from Midtown to take a bus all the way into Kew Gardens or say even Jamaica. There's the (E) train, bud. Or the LIRR. Or a guy from Joisey who just got off his NJT train. He's not going to bother with the bus, eh? And look at the Midtown traffic, especially during rush hours. The line is already long, SBS or extensions simply won't improve the overall experience of the ride. There must be enough rider justification for implementation.

SBS should be implemented on routes subways don't go on, to serve areas that lack subway access and to make easier connections. That is what the Bx12 SBS is doing, there is not a crosstown Fordham Rd subway. This line provides better connections for Bronx residents.

The M15 SBS could be seen as a precursor to real SAS service. Think of it as Manhattan's 98 B-line (Vancouver). Vancouver has been running that service since 2001 in anticipation for the Canada Line that is going to open. It's for servicing new markets.

I would turn the Q53 into SBS. First of all, the buses maintain a good speed for its journey, its stops are fairly spaced apart, unlike those of a conventional bus. Moreover, it isn't that hard to install a separate bus-only lane for much of its alignment. Lastly, the line traces the old LIRR Rockaway line and could be seen as a precursor to a future and uncertain QBL-Rockaway line (if the ROW is ever reactivated).

While the SBS network, if it develops, will be good for easing commutes, one cannot depend on that mode as a primary means of getting around all over the city.

I disagree on converting the Q53 to SBS. That line is already rapid enough, at least the portion on Woodhaven Boulevard (after all, it is a limited route already.) There also isn't enough passenger volume to warrant articulated buses (the Q53 has a good amount of volume, but it isn't anything like the Bx12 or M15.) Perhaps they could implement SBS on the Q53 with 40-foot buses, but that wouldn't help much.

The Q60 definitely does not need a SBS conversion. There are already five subway lines duplicating most of the route, not to mention the LIRR.

Moving along, after a year of SBS service on the Bx12, I'm beginning to doubt its true effectiveness. I observed it today, and even though it's definitely fast on the eastern half of its route (on Pelham Parkway) the section west of Fordham Plaza is no faster than the Bx12 local. The large bus stop shelters take up a good portion of sidewalk real estate (especially at Fordham Road and Grand Concourse) and it can be hard to move around due to the passenger traffic, much less access the machines.

Also, as usual, the special SBS bus lane on Fordham is basically useless as cars and vans frequently double-park in the bus lane without any threat of a ticket from the police. Perhaps if the police were to actually crack down on cars abusing the bus lane, the buses would be sped up a bit, but for now, it's just a bus with some fancy graphics and flashing blue lights.

Archived