What station do you think is ugliest?

duelingdragons

Grant Avenue on the (A) is HIDEOUS in my opinion.

Horrible puke green color scheme, and virtually no updates since the 1950's.

Anyone else agree?

Any station built in the 1950's is ugly. For example, 179th street on the (F)... eww!!! I agree about Grant Avenue. By the 60's they got a little better, like 57th street/6th Avenue is not as bad, and the 70's even better but still not good with the 4th Avenue local stations, and by the 80's things became decent with Jamaica Center.

Chambers St. (J)(M)(Z)

nuff said...

Chambers Street wasn't always ugly. It used to have beautiful mosaics, no dripping water and had life to it. But the (NYCT) ruined it in the 60s and 70s by adding that grotesque tile and taking away its character.

Any station built in the 1950's is ugly. For example, 179th street on the (F)... eww!!! I agree about Grant Avenue. By the 60's they got a little better, like 57th street/6th Avenue is not as bad, and the 70's even better but still not good with the 4th Avenue local stations, and by the 80's things became decent with Jamaica Center.
179th, and the stretch leading to Euclid are an interesting spin on the IND stye, with the smaller rectangular tiles. From there, it got blander, with Grant, and then Grand, and the extensions to many stations, with the longer rectangular tiles, and then with 57th, the color band was dropped, and it was totally plain. They replaced the bands with colored sections of wall on the 4th Av/Bway line retiling, but that was otherwise blend as well.

Afterwards, white tile was basically abandoned, and colorful tile and glazed brick was in fashion. Those are the nicest.

.....chamber on the (J).....some one had taken pic there b4 of r160 there and in the back ground u see that station that's falling apart.....it looks good like that.......anyway.....union turpike on the (E) and (F) lines cuz its half done....smith and (9)th on the (F) and (G) line......168th street (1) line......

(J)(F)(K)......(JFK)

All stations between Broadway Junction and Grant Avenue (except Broadway Junction) on the (A) an (C) are hideous as hell. The tiling looks ugly and the fluorescent lights make them look even worse. Ugh!

Henry, thanks for posting a picture of Bowery. I considered that, especially considering how desolate that station can get, making it even uglier, if that's possible. With the abandoned tracks and platform, the lack of riders and the desiccating construction, sometimes that station reminds me of the prison in a castle's basement.

Eric brought up a good point too. The two Chrystie Street stations are boring and plain-looking. Maybe when the SAS is ready to go next year will the stations become less sleep-inducing :o Smith-9th may be run-down and in serious need of repairs, but the view makes up for that, in my opinion. 7 Avenue on the Crosstown Line is another station with a horrible color scheme and is in bad need of repairs.

On the other hand and slightly off-thread, I'd give the award to most improved station to Jay Street. It's not even complete, and it looks leagues better than it did a 12 months ago.

All stations between Broadway Junction and Grant Avenue (except Broadway Junction) on the (A) an (C) are hideous as hell. The tiling looks ugly and the fluorescent lights make them look even worse. Ugh!

Ralph Avenue and Rockaway Avenue, which are between Utica and Broadway Junction on the Fulton St line, are just as bad. Come to think of it, all of the local stops along the line are decrepit wrecks. No wonder they send the oldest, soon-to-be-disposed, who-cares-about-it cars (R38 and now R32) to the (C). (No offense to R32 fans).

Euclid isn't too bad, I often transfer there from the Lefferts to the Rockaways (A) train, especially in cold weather when I would rather not be on the elevated platforms (80th St, 88th St or Rockaway Blvd).

The (4)(5) platform at Broadway-Nassau/Fulton St is just awful too: dark, dingy, roof leaking, paint scaling, mosaics stained, easily flooded by minor rains, roof looks like it will collapse any moment, garbage on the tracks and the platform, most of the platform cordoned off by blue wooden sheets, thus narrowing the platform and just plain awful. The (A)(C) platform is not my favorite place either, and at rush hour it can get unbelievable crowded and atrociously hot, added to the fact that the tube-shape of the tunnel makes me feel claustrophobic.

But I agree with all those that the worst station is the Chambers St (J)(M)(Z) stop. I have often passed through that station on an (M) or a (J) and had no inclination to get off and explore.

Chambers Street wasn't always ugly. It used to have beautiful mosaics, no dripping water and had life to it. But the (NYCT) ruined it in the 60s and 70s by adding that grotesque tile and taking away its character.

Those walls with new tiles were actually added since most of that platform was destroyed to make room for expansion of the Bkln Br IRT station. Part of one of the Chambers St columns is visible from the North end of the IRT uptown platform. Chambers St must have a been quite a station in its day with all those mosaics, and fortunately many of them still remain although in a deteriorating condition.

---

Ugliest IMO: any Sea Beach station, Bowery, 4 Av (F), Sutphin/Archer, most Rockaway Branch stations, and my home station 86 St on the (R).

Grant Avenue is the worst station in the entire system, in my opinion. At least the other stations from the 1950s have better color schemes; the blue-green at Grant Avenue doesn't make the station look any better than its sister stations. The general bland and dilapidated nature of the station just makes it look awful.

Chambers Street station isn't ugly at all (minus the 1950s-era tiling on one of the walls.) Some of the tiling in Chambers Street (notably on the abandoned platform on the eastern side of the station) is some of the most intricate in the system. The subway entrance under the vaulted arches of the Municipal Building is possibly the grandest subway entrance in the city. Chambers Street needs a comprehensive renovation and cleanup, though.

Runners-up for the title of ugliest station include Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue and Jamaica Center (despite these two stations being some of the newest in the system, they certainly haven't aged well.) Broad Channel and many of the other stations in the Rockaways are quite drab as well, especially Mott Avenue with its 1950s-era station house.

The nicest station in the system in my opinion, on the other hand, is the new South Ferry terminal. Even though the loop station was more efficient in terms of throughput, the new station is bright, clean, and has some interesting artwork.

I stick to park place (2)(3). Narrow, crowded, loud, (MTA) grey floor tiles, hardcore water damage in some spots and water stains all over, some flaking paint especially on the stairwell entrance ceiling. I usually hop on here & ride up to chambers to catch the (1) to SF.

- A

BMT Nassau: Bowery, Chambers

IND 6th Ave: 57th St

IRT Pelham Line: 138th-3rd Ave

IRT Broadway: 86th, 79th, 238th

IND Culver: 9th and 4th [Even tho its undergoing renivation], Ft Hamilton Pkway

IND Rockaway: All in the Rockaways excluding Beach 116th

IND Fulton-Rockaway: Grant Avenue

IRT White Plains Road Line: Pelham Parkway. I hate the station design, looks more like Culver Viaduct. I prefer it to look like rest of the EL on teh WPR.

IRT Flushing: 111th St

SIR St. George, hate the view of that little hub

Thats about it I guess

One that always come to mind for me is Broadway on the (G) line. It's horrendous.

I agree with Chambers St and Bowery on the Nassau St line, they are so depressing,

As far as the (F) goes, I'd say Jamaica-179th Street is pretty ugly, 57th Street, Church Avenue still manages to look gross even though they've done work on it, Ft. Hamilton Pkway, East Broadway, York Street... wow, I didnt realise there were so many ugly (F) stations.

Archived