What station do you think is ugliest?

duelingdragons

One that always come to mind for me is Broadway on the (G) line. It's horrendous.

I agree with Chambers St and Bowery on the Nassau St line, they are so depressing,

As far as the (F) goes, I'd say Jamaica-179th Street is pretty ugly, 57th Street, Church Avenue still manages to look gross even though they've done work on it, Ft. Hamilton Pkway, East Broadway, York Street... wow, I didnt realise there were so many ugly (F) stations.

Damn those (F)****** ugly stations! :P

Top 5 Ugliest (Scare-O-Meter involved) Stations:

Chambers St. (J)(Z).

Bowery St. (J)(Z).

East Broadway (F).

86th St. (R).

7th Ave. (F).

Aside from being a really dreary and nasty-looking station, East Broadway often smells overwhelmingly of urine. Drunk, can't walk or talk, oblivious to everything, no shame-having, obnoxiously potent urine.

Yeah, there are some stations that have that faint pissy smell to it. Heck, even some subway cars are the same way because they aren't cleaned properly. They either smell of urine, vomit or feces. Disgusting!!! :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Aside from being a really dreary and nasty-looking station, East Broadway often smells overwhelmingly of urine. Drunk, can't walk or talk, oblivious to everything, no shame-having, obnoxiously potent urine.

It's a shame that's my home station.

I really hope it gets some retouching, if not a rehab.

It's a shame that's my home station.

I really hope it gets some retouching, if not a rehab.

It's a huge shame considering how popular the station is and how rapidly ridership there is growing, especially considering it's only regularly served by one service. And I love the Henry Street Settlement artwork there. I really hope that the station is spruced up within due time.

Whoa Whoa that's my home station and that station is hot ,yeh stations smell like piss that's the beauty of it East Bdwy(F) is not ugly like when that train comes out of the tunnel ahh I miss those days .It's ugly to you but that station has it's qualities to me :cool:(K)<R>

Tell me how many stations smell like piss ? cleaners gotta do their job

Whoa Whoa that's my home station and that station is hot ,yeh stations smell like piss that's the beauty of it East Bdwy(F) is not ugly like when that train comes out of the tunnel ahh I miss those days .It's ugly to you but that station has it's qualities to me :cool:(K)<R>

Tell me how many stations smell like piss ? cleaners gotta do their job

Look - this is an opinionated thread. You think that York Street is ugly and I don't. I happen to think that East Broadway is a plain-looking station that smells of urine at time. A lot of stations stink, but this is one that stands out to me. Several people have agreed as well. It's only a matter of opinion and is nothing personal. I use that station several times a week and would never avoid it simply because of the way it looks or smells. Please don't take offense because I wasn't aiming for that.

Look - this is an opinionated thread. You think that York Street is ugly and I don't. I happen to think that East Broadway is a plain-looking station that smells of urine at time. A lot of stations stink, but this is one that stands out to me. Several people have agreed as well. It's only a matter of opinion and is nothing personal. I use that station several times a week and would never avoid it simply because of the way it looks or smells. Please don't take offense because I wasn't aiming for that.

No I'm :cool: dog it's just that the cleaners need to get down with some of these stations o.k cool now I only disagreed with you cuz East Bdwy was home to me for 14 years ya know I know every inch of that station .

Ahhh york and high stt to me have A spooky 3am nobody around feel to me know you understand cool man :cool:(K)<R>

No I'm :cool: dog it's just that the cleaners need to get down with some of these stations o.k cool now I only disagreed with you cuz East Bdwy was home to me for 14 years ya know I know every inch of that station .

Ahhh york and high stt to me have A spooky 3am nobody around feel to me know you understand cool man :cool:(K)<R>

I definitely agree with you about the station cleaning situation.

Does anyone here know how often a station normally has the floors and walls and whatever else bleached and washed?

As ugly as the Crosstown 7 Avenue station is, at least once a month, I'll get off the train at 6:30 am and the clean, bleached scent cuts right through my allergies. East Broadway is a fairly popular station and I personally love the neighborhood over there. There are a lot of very young and elderly people who use that station, and for sanitary purposes, it should be cleaned and disinfected much more often than it is now.

All stations between Broadway Junction and Grant Avenue (except Broadway Junction) on the (A) an (C) are hideous as hell. The tiling looks ugly and the fluorescent lights make them look even worse. Ugh!

I had to work my weekly (C) job and see them again to reaffirm that these are very good looking stations! The main difference between them and the older IND stations is that the tiles are slightly bigger (and slightly rectangular, but wider than high), and beige instead of white. They also have thicker "mortar" space between tiles.

This is a different, thicker kind of tile, so not one is cracked, and none have ever flaked out of the wall like you see at just about all of the older stations.

So with such pristine solid walls, I would say these were the best looking original IND stations! The beige and violet are an interesting mixture. the lighting is the original double-flurescent fixtures (minus the plastic covers), and most use those lower K color bulbs (that faintly imitate incandescents) which blend in with the color of the walls.

Otherwise, they use the original IND mosaic tablets, and the friezes simply have blue versions of the beige tiles, so the trim pretty much matches the rest of the IND. The arrow text exit pointers, text tiles in columns and on walls also bear the blue color.

I say it is a very interesting evolution of the IND design.

Then you have 179th, which is the same variation as Grant, but in the beige and blue scheme, but most of the frieze is covered by the blue and orange stripe metal.

i swear when i saw chambers street on the (J)(M) and(Z)...i was disgusted.

next is bay ridge in the (R). the bathroom is dirty. the platform leaks. :tdown:

grand avenue- newtown was my home station, but it's just too hot. and leaky too.(G)(E)(R)(V) rule!

--------------------------------------------------------

computerized train lines.

(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(A)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(Z)

need to be done:

(1)(:((C)(V)(D)(S)(S)(S)

I had to work my weekly (C) job and see them again to reaffirm that these are very good looking stations! The main difference between them and the older IND stations is that the tiles are slightly bigger (and slightly rectangular, but wider than high), and beige instead of white. They also have thicker "mortar" space between tiles.

This is a different, thicker kind of tile, so not one is cracked, and none have ever flaked out of the wall like you see at just about all of the older stations.

So with such pristine solid walls, I would say these were the best looking original IND stations! The beige and violet are an interesting mixture. the lighting is the original double-flurescent fixtures (minus the plastic covers), and most use those lower K color bulbs (that faintly imitate incandescents) which blend in with the color of the walls.

Otherwise, they use the original IND mosaic tablets, and the friezes simply have blue versions of the beige tiles, so the trim pretty much matches the rest of the IND. The arrow text exit pointers, text tiles in columns and on walls also bear the blue color.

I say it is a very interesting evolution of the IND design.

Then you have 179th, which is the same variation as Grant, but in the beige and blue scheme, but most of the frieze is covered by the blue and orange stripe metal.

That's what I hate about those stations though. They seem well-maintained, great. But the beige tiling just looks nasty. But that's my say.

Hands down, chambers (J)(M). Now bathrooms. Jamaica/parsons (E)(J). I've used some friggin 2-bit dives before, but you can smell the piss from the men's room the minute you swipe your metrocard. And last week friday, there was actually (F)(E)(C)(E)(S) in one of the stand up "urinals". I used quotes because it looks more like a shoebox with a drain built in the bottom. That bathroom should be quarantined!(NYCT)(A)

Hands down, chambers (J)(M). Now bathrooms. Jamaica/parsons (E)(J). I've used some friggin 2-bit dives before, but you can smell the piss from the men's room the minute you swipe your metrocard. And last week friday, there was actually (F)(E)(C)(E)(S) in one of the stand up "urinals". I used quotes because it looks more like a shoebox with a drain built in the bottom. That bathroom should be quarantined!(NYCT)(A)

lmso... thats terrible... but you did mean pee from the LADIES Room.

I don't think Chambers on the (J)(M)(Z) is ugly. It's neglected. If it was properly cleaned then it would be as beautiful as Grand Central.

Speaking of Chambers. I'm no expert, but do they really need both tracks to relay the M train? I mean can't they just use the downtown local track to return it back north to Brooklyn?

I've wondered if it is possible to align the n/b local track to run onto the current n/b 'express' track at Chambers and then reopen the unused middle platform and close off the uptown local platform. This way you simplify the station and concentrate on only the western portion of the station than the entire one.

I know a few 'over there' found this idea a 'sin', but what do you guys think?

Archived