What station do you think is ugliest?

duelingdragons

thats to be discussed in another topic perhaps. but yeah Bowery and Chambers St on the (J)(M)(Z) get my vote. At night I fear for my life in Bowery LOL. Sometimes I think one day I'll wake up to find Chambers St completely collapsed.

Bowery? The station itself or the area above? If during the day, it seems alright, obviously at night would be another story.

225 & 238 St (1) are falling apart, there are big holes rusted in the stairs. and the wooden planks need to go. Plus with 238, why doesn't it have an N/B turnstile? Everytime something happens you have to walk to 242

169 St comes to mind considering the tiles are a red-orange and the paint is mint green. Plus whenever I use it, I smell piss in the station

I hate the Jamaica (E)(J) stations, they're disgusting, dark and in a state of disarray

I actually like Pelham Parkway on the (5) for some reason and it wouldn't be as dreary if they used beige paint instead of black throughout the whole station. I like 179 with the blue and red criss-crossing. As for Union, as much I use it I hate that fact half the station is leaking and dirty and the other half is brand new

225 & 238 St (1) are falling apart, there are big holes rusted in the stairs. and the wooden planks need to go. Plus with 238, why doesn't it have an N/B turnstile? Everytime something happens you have to walk to 242

169 St comes to mind considering the tiles are a red-orange and the paint is mint green. Plus whenever I use it, I smell piss in the station

I hate the Jamaica (E)(J) stations, they're disgusting, dark and in a state of disarray

I actually like Pelham Parkway on the (5) for some reason and it wouldn't be as dreary if they used beige paint instead of black throughout the whole station. I like 179 with the blue and red criss-crossing. As for Union, as much I use it I hate that fact half the station is leaking and dirty and the other half is brand new

Parsons Archer lower level is like a cave. That platform could use the same lights the NTT uses to brighten it up.

i'm totally with you on this - i'm surprised more people haven't brought it up.

of course stations like Chambers Street can be called the "chamber of horrors" and what not, but they're either at or nearing a century old. a station like Supthin Blvd (E)(J)(Z) is a mere two decades old and it looks awful. although i'm not a fan of the coloring or tilework, the station just looks like it's been dipped in and out of toxic waste.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100026

here is the station at what must be it's VERY cleanest - but we're not discussing the dirtiest station even, just the ugliest. i'm a fan of the higher ceilings if they look like anything BUT that. even with a clean floor and clean R160s, it still looks like a bad scene. i think if the ceiling gets redone, the station has the potential to be presentable. of course, this is not on anyone's priority list, just a thought.

A station is a station, as long as the subway stops there and I'm not swimming in sea of sh** to get to the train I'm not too picky. That being said in terms of look, I'm sure this pic from the 21st street/Van Alst (G)http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?54344 is hard to beat in the ugly department.

In all fairness and through pointless research I checked the nycsubway.org station page on this one. The highlights are that the station was built on spring which could be seen on the southbound track and standing water on closed of parts of the mezzanine. Also the northern half of the mezzanine is closed off with plywood and railing.

While the picture posted by an earlier commentator does make 21st St-Van Alst on the (G) seem repulsive, I do not find the station particularly disagreeable at all. I often go to play at the Queens West Sportfield and take the (G) to and from this station. I actually really like the turnstile area and mezzanine, and the platform isn't too bad. The place certainly isn't smelly or anything, and it's perfectly okay to wait 5-10 minutes there to get on the train. I have even eaten snacks while waiting on the platform without feeling disgusted.

Then again, I may have a higher pain threshold for dirty/ugly stations, possibly because I am often at West 4th St, which I have to admit needs immediate rehab.

• 11 months later...

Subway Stations

Chambers St (J)(Z)

Canal St (N)(Q) Lower Level)- leaking on west end of platform

City Hall (R)

LIC-Court Sq (G)

21st St-Van Alst (G)

Bedford-Nostrand Av (G)

Staten Island Railway

Stapleton

Huguenot

Grasmere

LIRR Stations:

Babylon

West Hempstead

Queens Village

Jamaica

MNRR Stations

Fordham

Rye

Tarrytown (w/ Construction)

Ossinning (w/ Construction)

Poughkeepsie (w/ Construction)

No one mentioned 205 on the (D)?

You're right. All of those Concourse line stations feature those small rectangular tiles, but they don't go with the drab concrete floors at all. They're also all orange and monotonous. I wouldn't mind seeing some work done at those stations if it meant adding some variety.

If I could add to my original list, I'd add Bowery (J)(Z), the Culver Viaduct stations (about to be rehabbed), 86th and Lawrence Sts. on the (R) (being rehabbed), 7th Ave. (F)(G), 2nd Ave. on the (F) (IMO it would look better if it were cleaned up), many of the underground (6) stops in the Bronx, Concourse line stations, (G) line stations, and the Fulton St. local stations (but not including the ones right before Euclid Ave.). I actually like the bluish glow those stations give off as you pass by on the (A)(C). I also like Grant Ave. (A) and 179th St. on the (F), especially the huge action-figury things holding up the ceiling. lol

The good thing is most of the stations named on this list are already being rehabbed (Rockaway (A) stations, Culver Viaduct, (1) train stations, Sea Beach stations, etc.), so the overall list of ugly stations is going to dwindle in the coming years. Also, most "ugly stations" only need minor work done to beautify them. For example, the only thing wrong with the Archer Ave. stations is that they need better lighting and cleaner ceilings, along with better waterproofing. For example, Jamaica - Van Wyck was supposed to look much better with the windows at street level open, since they made the station much brighter and much more open-looking. They were closed to due vandalism.

img_1040.jpg

(Photo by Wayne Whitehorne)

They could reopen those (and I guess better monitor the street-level windows) and make the station look a whole lot better. You can also just clean up the ceilings on the other Archer Ave. stations and add some more ceiling lighting to brighten up those stations. Also, 4th Ave. would make a complete 180 in terms of looks if rehabbed this way:

fourthaveviaduct.jpg

(Photo from Second Ave. Sagas)

I'm not sure if this is rehab plan was scrapped or not, but it would dramatically beautify the station to the benefit of the community.

Of course, all this would cost $$$, but it's small improvements overall that can make stations look much more aesthetically pleasing.

21st Street/Van Alst (G)

Seneca Ave. (M)

Bowery (J)/(Z)

Chambers St. (J)(Z)

Canal Street (before rehab) (J)(Z)

Grant Ave. (A)

Broad Channel (A)(H)

B. 60th Street (A)

Aqueduct N. Conduit/Racetrack (A)

All Rock Park stations

Jamaica Van Wyck (E)

Briarwood/Van Wyck Blvd. (E)(F)

Smith-9th Streets (F)(G)

4 Avenue-9 Street (F)

Jamaica Center Parsons/Archer (E)(J)(Z)

Lex. 63rd Street (F)

Roosevelt Is. (E)(F)

21st St. QueensBridge (E)(F)

42nd St. lwr level (E)

Cortelyou Road (Q)

Beverly Road (Q)

The Ugliest Station are in my opinion:

Broadway (G)

Bowery- (J)(Z)

Chambers Street- (J)(Z)

21st Street- (G)

Grant Avenue- (A)

Beach 105th Street- (A)

Beach 90th Street- (A)

Beach 67th Street- (A)

Beach 44th Street- (A)

Beach 25th Street- (A)

Ozone Park- (A)

Smith-9th Streets/4th Avenue-9 Street- (F)(G)

Those are my quotes and I got some photos at http://www.nycsubway.org that shows that the station is SO ugly. I skip the pictures of the Rockaways because there is too much Rockaways, 4th Avenue-9th Street Station, and Ozone Park:

Broadway (G)

BroadwayG.png

Stayed tuned for more....

Archived