New MTA-TWU Contract Discussion

Rutgers Tube

Work rules are something to keep people in line. If you are doing your job,then it's no big deal.

That statement is completely false. Work rule changes usually result in having to do more with no additional compensation. Most work rule changes over the last few contracts tried to make people work out of title.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
could you elaborate? i know when you have to do the conductor's job you get $4/hr more. they arent trying to make you guys cleaners too, right? or sell metrocards on the platforms! :P

We'd have to see the full arbitration award. Everything else is speculation at this point.

could you elaborate? i know when you have to do the conductor's job you get $4/hr more. they arent trying to make you guys cleaners too, right? or sell metrocards on the platforms! :P

OPTO pay is $2/hr not 4. It hasn't gone up since OPTO was first introduced 10 years with no increase. If the TA had it's way everyone would be a part cleaner. Car cleaners used to clean the cabs of the trains when they did the rest of the train not anymore so who is supposed to clean the cabs? There used to be car cleaners assigned to the work train yards to clean the cabs on the diesels and to clean the rider cars. Not anymore who is supposed to clean them now?

Glad everybody is so happy to dicuss our raises in open forum.......

LOL Its true! Transit is 1/2 of the whole MTA, and hourly TA workers are even less, but only Transit Hourlies are held up for all to see & be scrutinized/demonized, while supervisors, LIRR, MNRR, B&T all get closed door negotiations..

Now, just why is that?

Work rules are something to keep people in line. If you are doing your job,then it's no big deal. If you are a screw up then it's all on you,just like in school,you fail yourself. Gotta remember that you are doing a job,they pay you and make the rules.(MTA)

Spoken like a true manager. Work rules are job duties & responsibilities assigned to different classes/titles of workers. (MTA) likes to 'broadband' & increase the work employees can do, work that would usually be done by another title. These are usually motivated by 'cost savings' on paper for the (MTA), and increased workload & responsibilities for employees with little to no additional compensation.. An example is Yard & Road dispatcher jobs in RTO, entirely different animals. Used to be different jobs,but with broad banding, you are considered capable of working either job.. Works good for hourly tho, we get paid OT when a 'visiting' Dispatcher screws up the yards operations because they don't know better, & we wind up working late..

OPTO pay is $2/hr not 4. It hasn't gone up since OPTO was first introduced 10 years with no increase. If the TA had it's way everyone would be a part cleaner. Car cleaners used to clean the cabs of the trains when they did the rest of the train not anymore so who is supposed to clean the cabs? There used to be car cleaners assigned to the work train yards to clean the cabs on the diesels and to clean the rider cars. Not anymore who is supposed to clean them now?

One guess JAH. Like Michael said, " I'm talking about the man in the mirror",

Jah and Rapid Transit TO, you can both bite my ****

Unfortunetely this is the attitude of alot of TA supervisors these days. Not all but alot. If you don't agree with them you are attacked. This guy has proven a point loud and clear.

Unfortunetely this is the attitude of alot of TA supervisors these days. Not all but alot. If you don't agree with them you are attacked. This guy has proven a point loud and clear.

Aren't the supervisors at the TA men and women who started in the field and came up through the ranks? If they are, and they think that they have some sort of absolute rule, that's pretty beat. A badge, clean clothes and a desk doesn't make someone anymore noble than someone out in the field.

Unfortunately, I know how that goes. My department is filled with many of those same people. You might be buying a guy lunch one week, and the next week you'll be called into his office for a disciplinary action and he won't even know who you are.

Flibbity flabbity who cares. I come to work,do my job and go home. I suppose you do the same. Always the man sticking it to the worker, I think you will survive.

I do my job and go home also. But with your time on the job I'm sure you have heard that it is a completely different animal in RTO and stations dept. compared to surface. There is a reason a large majority of B/O's don't stay in RTO and choose to go back within a year after taking a promotion to T/O.

Jah and Rapid Transit TO, you can both bite my ****

Oh boy! Is that Gary Delaverson behind that keyboard & screen, or what?

I don't recall either of us launching any personal attack on you, (MTA) field management, your title, even on surface!! I believe you need to step away from the computer, take a time out & count to ten.. Managers have Psych medical coverage, or you might possibly some vacation time or OTO left, you might want to look into using it..

Setting aside your temper's shortcomings & the obvious umbrage you have taken from our comments, I'm not blaming you personally, but increasing workloads on individuals is the nature of the beast we work for.. Work rules have been established for a long time, before any of us worked for (MTA). I can understand if something becomes redundant or obsolete, to do away & modernize the work rules. Not a problem. But to add duties from another existing title to a title that already has their own responsibilities in the name of 'saving money' on paper is unacceptable. The titles/jobs have a full days scheduled work already, that's why they are full time, every day jobs.. When technology creates a surplus bus & train dispatchers, I'm sure you'll understand a little better when you get to enjoy some new responsibilities..

I do my job and go home also. But with your time on the job I'm sure you have heard that it is a completely different animal in RTO and stations dept. compared to surface. There is a reason a large majority of B/O's don't stay in RTO and choose to go back within a year after taking a promotion to T/O.[/QUOTe

I don't know about that, from my point of view .Give us A chance playa(K)<R>

Wasn't this a binding arbitration decision, which means no changes or appeals once final judgment has passed?

As for $80,000 top pay, that would make line supervisors top pay of over $100,000 and I could see the loooonnng list of people taking the promotion exams...LOL

Wasn't this a binding arbitration decision, which means no changes or appeals once final judgment has passed?

As for $80,000 top pay, that would make line supervisors top pay of over $100,000 and I could see the loooonnng list of people taking the promotion exams...LOL

Yup...give them $90,000!They don't make that much OT so $10,000 will be a nice spread.I'm also taking into consideration the cost of living in NYC.

No matter how you look at it,we're still UNDER-PAID!All the responsibility that comes with this job we SHOULD be making ATLEAST $80,000!(Top Pay)We're soooo far behind...:)

I will say it again. MNRR, NJT, and LIRR with their big shiny trains, don't carry squat compared to what we move. They get paid at least $35 and there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't. They get the same benefits as us to. Now I do hear their retirement sucks compared to ours (I think its 30/62). If I am wrong please correct me.........

As for following the rules, as you all know I have worked both surface and RTO, and it's the same crap at either. Supervisors who were some of the wosrt B/O's and T/O's always tell you to follow the rules. They forget the petty stuff they did, got in trouble for, think it wasn't fair, went home moaned groaned, possibly wanting to bask the Superintendents face in, just cause they are immediate supervisors. I worked with a Bus Operator at West Farms who became a dispatcher. That badge went to his head and alot of M100 operators put him in his place, and so did I. After that he stopped being a female dog..........

Saying this, there are absolutely some screw ups out there, that even fellow B/O, T/O's, and C/R's say should be fired. Sadly they will make Superintendents and Managers instead. I do admit alot of the stuff is caused on ourselves, and that is because instead of operating and/or driving according to TA standards, we let TA intimidating us to make their fake a$$ schedule, that can't be made following the rules. We really need to operate buses and trains according to TA rules, and asked why youz late....I'm just operating according to TA rules and regulations. Ain't sh!t they can do either. 8HR jobs would disappear quickly, and become 8.5 or more...........

Archived