New MTA-TWU Contract Discussion

Rutgers Tube

Thanks for the update!

How is Samuelson's relationship with Jay Walder (or whatever his name is), and since I've been out of the loop recently, the new TA President, if one has been appointed? Also, what might current and potential future employees expect to see from this? Are TWU members happy to see Samuelson in, or happier simply to see Toussaint out?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the update!

How is Samuelson's relationship with Jay Walder (or whatever his name is), and since I've been out of the loop recently, the new TA President, if one has been appointed? Also, what might current and potential future employees expect to see from this? Are TWU members happy to see Samuelson in, or happier simply to see Toussaint out?

Thanks!

I'm not going to speculate on the relationship between the two newcomers because it's still early in their terms. I think that Roger had a decent relationship w/ the outgoing regime at the top after the strike and it's aftermath but the last few months were pretty bad. Arbitration award appeals and such tend to leave a nasty taste in any employee's mouth so the (MTA) board and Mr Walder have to realize that that relationship is already soured and any sort of reconcilation will have to come from that side. I think the members are happy to see TBOU in charge and Roger and his minions on the way out even though the award was upheld on appeal. As far as the new TA president...he was run out of here before he was run out of the LIRR. The LIRR workers are glad he's gone so we're stuck with him. Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

Two months later and I see that the (MTA) and the local tabloids are still after that pound of flesh. There have been hints that if TWU Local 100 allows the 3rd year of the arbitrator's award to be re-negotiated, and OPTO, among other things, instituted, MAYBE, layoffs can be averted. As of now the TWU leadership has said NO. Go to the local's website and read the Chief in the next few issues to be kept up to date. This could get nasty. They've already got the TA and LIRR workforce riled up.

Two months later and I see that the (MTA) and the local tabloids are still after that pound of flesh. There have been hints that if TWU Local 100 allows the 3rd year of the arbitrator's award to be re-negotiated, and OPTO, among other things, instituted, MAYBE, layoffs can be averted. As of now the TWU leadership has said NO. Go to the local's website and read the Chief in the next few issues to be kept up to date. This could get nasty. They've already got the TA and LIRR workforce riled up.

I told people that this new guy they have in here now is bad news..

Looks like his "true" colors are showing...

I told people that this new guy they have in here now is bad news..

Looks like his "true" colors are showing...

First of all we must insist ALL terms of the arbitration award are upheld. I don't want to hear that Jay (Satan) Walder will take the layoffs of the SA's off the table if we agree to zero in the last year. This is BLACKMAIL. If we accept it, who's to say he won't lay them off anyway and pull the same garbage with the next contract offering all zeroes plus OPTO with long trains with the same paltry $2.00 per hour bonus to avert more lay-off's rather than c/r's being eliminated by attrition.

First of all we must insist ALL terms of the arbitration award are upheld. I don't want to hear that Jay (Satan) Walder will take the layoffs of the SA's off the table if we agree to zero in the last year. This is BLACKMAIL. If we accept it, who's to say he won't lay them off anyway and pull the same garbage with the next contract offering all zeroes plus OPTO with long trains with the same paltry $2.00 per hour bonus to avert more lay-off's rather than c/r's being eliminated by attrition.

im sick and tired of the mta and their bull crap...every contract they got no money...then they find money..

Bill didn't Willie James get suckered by the MTA over this before as well??

Im sure you knew this was coming right?

As i said this guy is bad news people better start being on their toes operational wise they are out for BLOOD in Labor Relations. You got a record you could lose your job(and it has happened already).

They cant lay em off fast enough they will fire em and not be bothered with thier pensions... :)

Yeah, I read and heard rumors about using jobs as leverage so that TWU would dump their raises after year two of the award. OPTO has been mentioned lately. I personally find that to be nonsense. If the riders think that the fares suck now, wait until someone gets injured, people get lost and delays become an even-more regular part of the subway due to lack of labor.

Here is a question that I did have for the current members of TWU:

I ride MNR in with an engineer from traction power at 130 Livingston, and he's a member of DC-37 Local 375, the Technical Service Guild. He still has not received either his raise or his retro from when we signed a new and already year-late contract in March of 2009. (MTA) is holding it back, and he heard rumors that ALL Transit-employed DC-37 locals plan to break away and join TWU 100. Anyone hear this as well?

Thanks.

Bill didn't Willie James get suckered by the MTA over this before as well??

Im sure you knew this was coming right?

As i said this guy is bad news people better start being on their toes operational wise they are out for BLOOD in Labor Relations. You got a record you could lose your job(and it has happened already).

They cant lay em off fast enough they will fire em and not be bothered with thier pensions... ;)

Willie James was suckered into giving up a wage increase on the "threat" of layoffs due to NYCTA being hundreds of millions in the red. He gave up the raises and miraculously days later NYCTA found they had a 200 million dollar surplus. "Fool me once, shame on you...."

As far as everyone being on their toes, I agree. My MS ll gave us a heads up last week. He basically said they're looking to fire as many people as they legally can. No more warnings, no more slaps on the wrist. They're looking for termination from the get go. Watch your backs and keep your noses clean.

Satan is a good word to describe that pompous oaf. They had the 1st of many public hearings tonight in Westchester. I would like to see somebody from the audience stand up, take off their shoes and throw them at Jay(Uncle Fester)Walder. He is a big target as it is....

Satan is a good word to describe that pompous oaf. They had the 1st of many public hearings tonight in Westchester. I would like to see somebody from the audience stand up, take off their shoes and throw them at Jay(Uncle Fester)Walder. He is a big target as it is....

i hope since patterson is stepping down that they will appoint a new ceo of the mta..... bye bye walder

Archived