HDR Photography (Your best shots)

Harry

To create HDR photos you need a minimum of 5 shots or more at + and - exposure stops. So for example:

1. -2 Exposure = Image 1
  2. -1 Exposure = Image 2
  3. Normal Exposure = Image 3
  4. +1 Exposure = Image 4
  5. +2 Exposure = Image 5

Once you have that, you then just use a program that combines the images into a HDR project/photo that you then adjust the settings until you're happy with the results. You simply can't create a HDR image some a single shot.

To create HDR photos you need a minimum of 5 shots or more at + and - exposure stops. So for example:

1. -2 Exposure = Image 1

2. -1 Exposure = Image 2

3. Normal Exposure = Image 3

4. +1 Exposure = Image 4

5. +2 Exposure = Image 5

Once you have that, you then just use a program that combines the images into a HDR project/photo that you then adjust the settings until you're happy with the results. You simply can't create a HDR image some a single shot.

Oh, I'm well aware of how to create an HDR image -- the problem that I've encountered is combining the images into a single photo given the software I have at this moment.

Here is a quickly done sample with that program. The source images were slightly off due to shooting by hand, the train was also moving in the images so I had to use a ghost mask on the train so that it showed it still.

One of the image sources:

3814376300_c1d59d0b22_o.jpg

Finished HDR image:

3814376906_1f8eef99e9_o.jpg

For moving subjects just shoot in RAW and create a few separate images with different exposures

mmm I'll have to try that once I get home. I normally don't shoot in RAW since it takes a considerable size on my Hard Drive at home once I transfer them from my 4GB card but I do have a few that I will try it on.

For moving subjects just shoot in RAW and create a few separate images with different exposures

Images with a moving subject are not recommended for HDR photography. HDR photography should be done with a still subject and a tripod for best results.

If anyone wants to try it go to the HDRSoft website and download a trial version of Photomatix software. If you like it, buy it. It makes it real easy to get great results.

Well it turned out pretty good.

JPG of the original RAW file:

3815710235_1f64d1330e_o.jpg

HDR Image after doing exporting the original RAW file into different exposure settings:

3816521816_61f219b18c_o.jpg

My attempt with PhotoMatix

I think the Dynamic Photo one came out better, the Photomatrix one got a little too blue at the right

Ok so I tried the Dynamic Photo version and here's what I got.

One of the original's.

100_4135.jpg

After.

HDRfinal.jpg

I think overdid it a little though :) , just a first try though.

Too bad my camera can only automatically take a set of 3 (-1, 0, +1). I could take the 5 separate pictures manually, I do have manual exposure, but it'll be difficult with anything unstill (even people walking around).

Is there a minimum resolution?

Too bad my camera can only automatically take a set of 3 (-1, 0, +1). I could take the 5 separate pictures manually, I do have manual exposure, but it'll be difficult with anything unstill (even people walking around).

Is there a minimum resolution?

You should be able to manage with 3 shots though more are preferred for optimal quality.

Archived