R32 R with cranks! Also a weird <N>!

NYCTNostalgia

Today I rode an R32 (R) from Queens Plaza and the rollsigns had cranks!

So as I was scrolling through I saw a <(N)> saying"<(N)>Astoria/B'way. Also the yellow (;) had no diamonds but two circles. And the <R> was yellow!

Was that a older sign or what?

What was the <(N)> used for?

Why was the <R> yellow?

So as I was scrolling through I saw a <(N)> saying"<(N)>Astoria/B'way. Also the yellow (;) had no diamonds but two circles. And the <R> was yellow!

Why was the <R> yellow?

I think the diamonds (N)(;)(R) was for rush hour or express service. The (;) diamond for rush hour service to 168 Street.

23.png

There are some R32s that have crank rollsigns (not the one with the hex wrench hole). Car 3468 has one and is based out of 207th. As for the one you stated for the (R) I don't know what car number that is.

And you probably ran into a 1985 rollsign, where the <N> meant rush hour peak direction service between Astoria and Whitehall Street, similar to today's weekday (W) train. The <B> was for rush hour bi-directional service 168th Street and Brooklyn (ran in tandem with the daytime (;) that ran between 57th Street and Brooklyn), and the <R> ran in tandem with the (R), except tihat it ran to Chambers Street.

So as I was scrolling through I saw a <(N)> saying"<(N)>Astoria/B'way. Also the yellow (:) had no diamonds but two circles. And the <R> was yellow!

Why was the <R> yellow?

Okay that sounds New to Me, All I know that 3610 has weird signs, (Z) Jamaica Nassau st, You should have wrote the car number down, Also 3361 has Train to the Plane instead of JFK Express.

Yup that's the One, and If a Railfan Changes a Rollsign that's their Busness, Every Railfan does that and the Crew did not care and The crew changes the Rollsigns as well, I didn't change it back instead I changed it to:

Jamaica Center

Parsons/Archer

Brigton Beach

Brooklyn

(J)Jamaica

Nassau- Brighton

And They kept that signage for 3 days when that car went back to the (F) the very next day.

Yeah, car 3610 has cranks and I saw it on the (V) today. I would've taken a pic but the train was taken OOS once it entered the Manhattan bound track and there were a lot of people on the platform. I already got in trouble with the cops a few minutes earlier so I didn't bother taking a pic.

I had a car on the (C) yesterday where the hendcranks had been removed. didn't think to get the car #.

I would hope that whichever cars are preserved would have the cranks.

Maybe so.

Yup that's the One, and If a Railfan Changes a Rollsign that's their Busness, Every Railfan does that and the Crew did not care and The crew changes the Rollsigns as well, I didn't change it back instead I changed it to:

Jamaica Center

Parsons/Archer

Brigton Beach

Brooklyn

(J)Jamaica

Nassau- Brighton

And They kept that signage for 3 days when that car went back to the (F) the very next day.

I was with you! :)

Quick little thing: the cars preserved for the NYCTM don't have cranks. Nice try though. Last time I was there, those R32s there didn't have cranks, so I brought my roll sign key with me just to play with those signs ;)

So that's what you use to change the signs if the signs don't have cranks.

My 1983 subway map has <N> running via tunnel while (N) and <QB> ran via bridge

The old 70(QB) is today's (Q). Back then, the 70(QB) had horrible service. Rush hours but similiar to the (Z). it basically was supplemental to the 70(N) on Broadway and the 70(M) on Brighton local.

Nice run, though, when it got going on the Broadway express.

this how the sign went

----------------------------------------

(JFK)JFK Express

(A)Washington Hts-8Av-Fulton

<(C)>Grand Concourse/8Av-Fulton

(H)Rockaway Shuttle

(E)Queens Blvd/8Av

(F)Queens Blvd/6Av/Culver

(F)6Av/Culver

(G)Bklyn-Queens Crosstown

®Queens Blvd/B'way-4Av

®Queens blvd/Broadway