Bronx area Local/Express Bus ideas for 2010 and or after the recession

Shortline Bus

It's not confusing at all, seeing as the designation sign spell everything out for you.

I have the exact codes on my desktop but just an example:

QBx1 Co-Op City

Sec 5

The only way someone will get lost is if they can't read the sign or don't have enough common sense to ask the B/o where hes going. Not once have I gotten a QBx1 and the bus ended up going to a section that wasn't on the designation sign in that order. The Co-op City headways are fine its the Pelham bay- Flushing Section that needs improvement

The Coop City-Pelham Bay coordior should also have 24/7 access as well with 20-30 minute overnight headways. Ditto for more service between Main/Roosvelt and Pelham Bay until 1am daily. Using the BX 28 via Gun Hill is infrequent between COOP and the subways overnights and also out of the way. If Canarise riders could have all night B42 service why not Coop with the QBX1 or i like to call it the Q50?:cool:

The Coop City-Pelham Bay coordior should also have 24/7 access as well with 20-30 minute overnight headways. Ditto for more service between Main/Roosvelt and Pelham Bay until 1am daily. Using the BX 28 via Gun Hill is infrequent between COOP and the subways overnights and also out of the way. If Canarise riders could have all night B42 service why not Coop with the QBX1 or i like to call it the Q50?:cool:

I think most people in Co-op would rather have 24/7 service on the Bxm7 than just having the QBx1 get them to/from the (6). At least 10-15 min headways on the Flushing part.

I have yet to figure out the B42 thing but I have assume it's getting a decent amount of riders to warrant that service.

I think most people in Co-op would rather have 24/7 service on the Bxm7 than just having the QBx1 get them to/from the (6). At least 10-15 min headways on the Flushing part.

I have yet to figure out the B42 thing but I have assume it's getting a decent amount of riders to warrant that service.

Right now there is no 24/7 Manhattan based express buses in nyc. However both the X-1 and BXM7 last trips arrive at Eligngtville(Staten Island) and Coop City around 230am Monday-Saturdays.

When the recession ends, i agree with 90-minute overnights headways on both the X-1 and BXM7. Also Q43 i am sure many coop city would agree to a 24/7 QBX1 or w/e its called service to pelham bay as well. Not everyone is going to Manhattan. Other places COOP riders could be going to is 1)Fordham Road on BX12 2)Several other Bronx neighborhoods on the (6)subway line.

Besides Q46 you live in eastern queens why you against a change against the QBX1? Only thing we seem to agree on is this line getting better headways. Maybe at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from say Coop City Blvd/Conner St to Flushing. If the QBX1 terminated at Bay Plaza it still walking distance to most sections of COOP. Or transfer to the new Coop/Pelham Bay shuttle bus or the BX25/26 or 28 as well.

Get back to me.:(

Right now there is no 24/7 Manhattan based express buses in nyc. However both the X-1 and BXM7 last trips arrive at Eligngtville(Staten Island) and Coop City around 230am Monday-Saturdays.

When the recession ends, i agree with 90-minute overnights headways on both the X-1 and BXM7. Also Q43 i am sure many coop city would agree to a 24/7 QBX1 or w/e its called service to pelham bay as well. Not everyone is going to Manhattan. Other places COOP riders could be going to is 1)Fordham Road on BX12 2)Several other Bronx neighborhoods on the (6)subway line.

Besides Q46 you live in eastern queens why you against a change against the QBX1? Only thing we seem to agree on is this line getting better headways. Maybe at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from say Coop City Blvd/Conner St to Flushing. If the QBX1 terminated at Bay Plaza it still walking distance to most sections of COOP. Or transfer to the new Coop/Pelham Bay shuttle bus or the BX25/26 or 28 as well.

If the QBx1 is split up a 3 legged transfer is needed like the Bx12 local (not sure about SBS) and Bx29 City Island transfer, which allows an extra transfer.

I live in eastern Queens but I'm from the Bronx

I do think service could be made 24/7 but a lot of people that I know in Co-op wish the Express all night because they can only stay in the city for but so long and want a one seat ride. If they were some how able to extend the (6) up there that'd be best. Bay Plaza is only really walking distance to Secs 3 and 4 (techincally its in Sec 4). Sec 5 is on the other side of the highway and Sec1 and 2 are kind of far.

With splitting up the QBx1 its like that horrible idea the TA had of making the Bx28 North and South and rerouting the Bx25,26 and 30 up there. No one is going to want to take the (6) to Pelham Bay to find out all QBx1s are only serving Sec4-5 (assuming that if buses are ending at Bay Plaza they are serving Sec 5 and not just taking the highway to Bartow Av) just to have to get off and wait for another bus to get home. The commute is long enough as is. You can't even put LTD service in Co-op City on the Bx28 because everyone is using every stop.

I live in eastern Queens but I'm from the Bronx

I do think service could be made 24/7 but a lot of people that I know in Co-op wish the Express all night because they can only stay in the city for but so long and want a one seat ride. If they were some how able to extend the (6) up there that'd be best. Bay Plaza is only really walking distance to Secs 3 and 4 (techincally its in Sec 4). Sec 5 is on the other side of the highway and Sec1 and 2 are kind of far.

With splitting up the QBx1 its like that horrible idea the TA had of making the Bx28 North and South and rerouting the Bx25,26 and 30 up there. No one is going to want to take the (6) to Pelham Bay to find out all QBx1s are only serving Sec4-5 (assuming that if buses are ending at Bay Plaza they are serving Sec 5 and not just taking the highway to Bartow Av) just to have to get off and wait for another bus to get home. The commute is long enough as is. You can't even put LTD service in Co-op City on the Bx28 because everyone is using every stop.

It the (6)<6> went to Co Op City, the (6) would have to start from Pelham Bay Park and the <6> would have to run express from Pelham Bay Park to East 177th Street, otherwise the current pattern of the <6> would lead to more <6> trains that would be crushloaded at Castle Hill Avenue and East 177th Street/Parkchester = more crowded platforms = not good:tdown:

Oh, the B42 picks up, bro.... don't worry about that... only time those buses aren't SRO (besides late nights) is during the midday (around 10am-2pm), after that, forget about it.... that bus is a lifeline for Canarsie residents {moreso than the B74 is for CI residents}......

...and I will touch on these Bronx ideas when I come back....

(yes, HudsonRiver, I got your PM.)

It the (6)<6> went to Co Op City, the (6) would have to start from Pelham Bay Park and the <6> would have to run express from Pelham Bay Park to East 177th Street, otherwise the current pattern of the <6> would lead to more <6> trains that would be crushloaded at Castle Hill Avenue and East 177th Street/Parkchester = more crowded platforms = not good:tdown:

And how will the (6)s get thru there? Via I95 above it? or next to it? Plus it would need to curve to get up to the City/ And this will anger people of co-op City with such load EL when trains passes, unless built underground..

Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improved Bronx express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas.

BX(1)-Would create overnight service with 1-hour headways between 1-5am.

What about the Bx2?

BX(3)-Extend to Yonkers-Getty Sq. or if not possible run it to 262nd St-Van Corlandt Park station for direct transfer to the Bee Line Buses ie W-1 W-2 W-3. Replaces the BX9 along Broadway between 242 and 262nd St. Also new Hourly BX3 overnight service.

I'm still opposed to the "core" of this idea... If bronx riders want service to Getty Sq, let em take a Bee line bus.... Bx3 don't need to travel up there, esp. from washington heights...

BX(4) runs via Westchester Ave between The Hub(149th St/3rd Ave.) and Pelham Bay Park. "Short trip BX4's" start/end at Westchester Sq. (6) train station weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm.

Either have this directly serve the apt's in Parkchester & get rid of the Bx14, or leave this route as is....

BX(5)also gets hourly overnight service.

Hourly overnight service might be a bit much...

BX(6)Westbound Terminal extended to 168th St/Columbia-Presbyterian Hosptial. Also BX6 should use artics as well.

Disagree... It has it's own problems w/ crowds in the Bronx...

BX(7)extended to Getty Sq.-Yonkers. If politics makes it impossible then why not run it at least to the Ludlow St Metro North Hudson line station. Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

I'm with you on the u-turn thing... but I don't think the route should be extended b/c of it....

BX8-Northbound terminal extended to East 233 Street-WHite Plains Road station via WP Road to access Our Lady of Mercy Hosptial and transfer to Bee Line W-42 for service to Mt.Vernon/New Rochelle.

I don't think most ppl. that use that route even want access to a bee line bus... it isn't that many of em that even use/come off the 2 train anyway; at least, not from what I've noticed w/ the current bx8....

BX(9)-Restuctured-Operates only between 242nd Street-Van Corlandt Park and 177th-Parkchester (6) subway station. Very few BX9 riders use this line the entire route between West Farms and 262nd St/City Line. This route is always late. BX3 replaces the BX(9)along Broadway between NYC line and the (1)subway station. I know this is controversial but on few times i railfanned the BX9 i only seen at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from 262 nd St-West Farms.

1) terminal space becomes a problem...

2) the stint b/w 262nd & 242nd isn't a problem on the Bx9...

3) you say the Bx9 is always late... but you want to send it to an area which is more dense (parkchester) than the area you're taking the service from (riverdale, north of 242nd)? Doesn't make much sense, bro... If anything, buses would even be MORE late..... even if you are shortening the route to 242nd...

BX10-Extended westbound terminal to either Yonkers-Getty Sq.(Metro North)w/ political approval or Ludlow St-Metro North station-Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

see my comments for the bx7.... plus, w/ all the turns the 10 has to make, you really want to extend this?

BX11-Extended via Southern Blvd and East 174th Street to Parkchester-177th St. (6) subway station. Replaces the BX36 which travels along Tremont between WP Road and Boston Rd.

Don't know much about ridership patterns on the 11 to comment....

But I don't feel that the Bx36 needs to be rerouted, or replaced....

BX12-(Local)Expand Overnight service to 20 minute headways service 7 days a week.

Not too unreasonable.....

BX13-Extend the eastbound terminal to help out the BX(6) to 163rd Street-Hunts Point (6)subway station. Also the (MTA) needs to promote this BX13 more for riders going to Yankee games as alrenative to (A)(D) subway transfer using the GW Bridge Bus station on Coach USA/Rockland Coaches or NJ Transit.

I suppose...

BX14-Reduced to operating as a shuttle only between Country Club and Pelham Bay (6)subway terminal. BX4 operates entire length of Westchester Ave.

IMO, should be axed in its entirety....

BX15-Renamed the BX56 to avoid confusion with Manhattan's M-15. Route remains the same.

Not necessary.

BX19-1) Extend the route via Fordham and terminate at Fordham Plaza-3rd Avenue. 2)Create all day weekday appx. 6am-9pm limited stop service between 149th-3rd Ave and 180th St-Southern Blvd. "Local' BX19 runs only between 149-3rd Ave and Fordham-Southern when BX19 Limited operates..

I'm inclined to agree, but the reality is, they aint putting anymore buses inside the fordham plz. terminal... especially w/ the way bx19's bunch....

Unless you want them laying-over on Webster?

BX20-southbound terminal extended to Dyckman St.-10th Avenue to serve Dyckman public houses. Also create new Sunday service with 20-minute headways between 8am-8pm.

Hasta la vista... let those riders xfer to the bx7...

BX21-Extend southbound terminal to 125th St-Lexington station (4)(5)(6) lines. Provides an 24/7 alternative bus service for all of the South and Southeast Bronx communities for (5)(6) subway riders between Westchester Sq. AND 125TH ST. in East Harlem during 'g/o's and sudden shutdowns. "Short trip' Bx21's weekdays start/end at existing terminal at the 149th St-Hub.

For starters, the Bx21 doesn't terminate at the hub....

Anyway, so you want the bx21 to terminate w/ the M35? Last thing 125th needs is more traffic added to it.... 21 is just about dead, up until it reaches the Hub anyway.... You're not gonna get anymore ppl. on Bx21's than there are already on the Bx15....

BX22-Run the overnight route between Fordham Center(Valentine/Fordham) and Zerega Ave.

Guess I can agree to this...

BX25-Extend the route and it westbound terminal to 231st Street-Riverdale Avenue via Goulden, Kingsbridge, Bway, and 230th Streett.

I always felt the bx25 shouldn't be its own separate route... just make them 26's that happen to only serve asch loop, en route to section 5... it's the same core group of riders anyway....

BX26-Extend the service hours Monday-Saturdays w/ last bus leaving Paul Ave at 1230am.

Don't know how late night ridership is on the route to comment...

BX27-westbound terminal extended 24/7 to West Farms-Tremont (2)(5) station to serve Pathmark-West Farms shopping center on 174th via Morrison and 174th Street. Replaces the Bx36 service along 174th Street. Service to/from Simpson St/Southern Blvd (2)(5) station use the BX4 or (6) subway.

If there are a substantial amt. of riders that xfer from the bx27 to the bx19 (or vice versa), then I can agree to this... otherwise, leave as is.....

BX28-1)Eastbound terminal extended to Pelham Bay station. 2)Create rush-hour limited stop service along Gun Hill between Bainbridge and Bartow-Baychester.

Totally Disagree w/ part 1.... If you ever (actually) rode this route during peak hours, you wouldn't be suggesting this... as for part 2, I can agree w/ LTD service on the route; just not ONLY during the rush...

BX30-Eastbound terminal at Bay Plaza via Bartow, Coop-City, Peartree, Conner and then existing route to Norwood-205th Street (D) station. Use the Bx25/26, 28 and new Bx37/38 for service withing COOP City.

What the hell would be the point of the 30 serving the area if it doesn't directly serve any of the loops inside co-op? this is worse than the 1st part of your bx28 idea.... You may as well have this going to the Dyre av train station....

BX34-Extend Northbound terminal to Mount Vernon East MNRR station via Mclean/Nereid Aves., West 5th Street and 5th Ave. ends at Prospect/Park Avs. Late nights BX34 ends at existing terminal at Katonah.

Too deep in westchester for the 34 to have to serve... that's easily an extra 20 minutes added to that route's runtime... Not that I agree with it, but sending the mundy lane branch of the bx16 would have at least made more sense (back when Mundy Lane was its own branch)

BX36-No longer serves 174th Street between Boston Rd and White Plains Rd. Uses Tremont Ave along this area. 174th Street service replaced by Bx27. The BX36 is always late due to fact it has IMO too many turns.* BX 11 and BX27 under my plan replaces the BX36 for 174th Street service.

Disagree... I think the route should be left alone....

BX37-New Route replaces the QBX1-Operates rush hours only between Pelham Bay and western part of Coop sections 1-3(Dresiser loop) Use the BX38 all other times.

BX38-Replaces the QBX1 Coop City section between Bay Plaza and COOP City Blvd. Operates between Dyre Ave (5)station and Pelham Bay at all times. Serves all of COOP City except rush hours. Rush Hours only serves Coop sections 3-6.

This extension to Dyre station also provides another subway connection for COOP City/NE Bronx riders and also helps relieve overcrowding at the Busy Pelham Bay (6) station.

Both of these would be a waste of resources, individually.... Instead, I think combining these two routes of yours into one route would make a little more sense... That is, a route going from Dyre av (5) to Pelham bay Park (6), with 5-7 min. headways, throughout the day, serving all areas of co-op city... total runtime would be somewhere around 40 mins.....

You can still split the Qbx1, with what I said above, and a route going from say, Bay Plaza (directly serving no parts of co-op) to Flushing... give riders options while still creating a solid route, yanno....

BX40-Create rush hour limited stop service along Tremont between Jermoe Ave and Westchester Sq.(Tremont/Westchester Ave (6) station)

I suppose...

BX50-Renamed QBX1 and shortned to operate only between Bay Plaza and Main-Roosvelt transfer (7) subway station. BX37/38 replaces QBX1 COOP City service. In addition the BX50 loops in/out of College Point Shopping Center via 20th Avenue.

Agreed, but only in conjunction with what I said for your "bx37/bx38" routes...

BX55-Restore 7-day service between Gun Hill Road and 149th-3rd Ave w/ 15-20 minute headways (alternative buses)7 days a week. Monday-Saturdays 12-1am & Sundays appx. 9pm-1am BX55 make all stops along 3rd Avenue. Since the (MTA) reduced Gun Hill BX55 service to weekdays only, almost 10 years ago, the BX41 has gotten overcrowded.

15-20 minutes? seems a little high... what are it's current headways? I think it should run from 10-15 minues, all day....

....and you say "alternative buses"... what would the other set of alternative buses do?

BX56-Renamed BX15 service. 30-minute headways between 125th St-Lexington (4)(6) station and Fordham Plaza via 3rd Avenue. Hourly (every other bus) service between 12nd Ave-125th Street and Lexington.

Not necessary.

Replies in blue....

Hmm...

Many people prefer to take the BxM7 late at night because QBx1 service is so erratic. So perhaps if the QBx1 ran at a decent headway late at night, the BxM7 wouldn't need to run overnight, or vice versa.

That Express bus runs Late at night from Bronx to Manhattan? BxM7.

Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improved Bronx express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas.

Local/Limited services.

BX(3)-Extend to Yonkers-Getty Sq. or if not possible run it to 262nd St-Van Corlandt Park station for direct transfer to the Bee Line Buses ie W-1 W-2 W-3. Replaces the BX9 along Broadway between 242 and 262nd St. Also new Hourly BX3 overnight service.

BX(4) runs via Westchester Ave between The Hub(149th St/3rd Ave.) and Pelham Bay Park. "Short trip BX4's" start/end at Westchester Sq. (6) train station weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm.

BX(6)Westbound Terminal extended to 168th St/Columbia-Presbyterian Hosptial. Also BX6 should use artics as well.

BX(7)extended to Getty Sq.-Yonkers. If politics makes it impossible then why not run it at least to the Ludlow St Metro North Hudson line station. Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

BX8-Northbound terminal extended to East 233 Street-WHite Plains Road station via WP Road to access Our Lady of Mercy Hosptial and transfer to Bee Line W-42 for service to Mt.Vernon/New Rochelle.

BX(9)-Restuctured-Operates only between 242nd Street-Van Corlandt Park and 177th-Parkchester (6) subway station. Very few BX9 riders use this line the entire route between West Farms and 262nd St/City Line. This route is always late. BX3 replaces the BX(9)along Broadway between NYC line and the (1)subway station. I know this is controversial but on few times i railfanned the BX9 i only seen at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from 262 nd St-West Farms.

BX10-Extended westbound terminal to either Yonkers-Getty Sq.(Metro North)w/ political approval or Ludlow St-Metro North station-Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

BX11-Extended via Southern Blvd and East 174th Street to Parkchester-177th St. (6) subway station. Replaces the BX36 which travels along Tremont between WP Road and Boston Rd.

BX12-(Local)Expand Overnight service to 20 minute headways service 7 days a week.

BX13-Extend the eastbound terminal to help out the BX(6) to 163rd Street-Hunts Point (6)subway station. Also the (MTA) needs to promote this BX13 more for riders going to Yankee games as alrenative to (A)(D) subway transfer using the GW Bridge Bus station on Coach USA/Rockland Coaches or NJ Transit.

BX14-Reduced to operating as a shuttle only between Country Club and Pelham Bay (6)subway terminal. BX4 operates entire length of Westchester Ave.

BX15-Renamed the BX56 to avoid confusion with Manhattan's M-15. Route remains the same.

BX19-1) Extend the route via Fordham and terminate at Fordham Plaza-3rd Avenue. 2)Create all day weekday appx. 6am-9pm limited stop service between 149th-3rd Ave and 180th St-Southern Blvd. "Local' BX19 runs only between 149-3rd Ave and Fordham-Southern when BX19 Limited operates..

BX20-southbound terminal extended to Dyckman St.-10th Avenue to serve Dyckman public houses. Also create new Sunday service with 20-minute headways between 8am-8pm.

BX21-Extend southbound terminal to 125th St-Lexington station (4)(5)(6) lines. Provides an 24/7 alternative bus service for all of the South and Southeast Bronx communities for (5)(6) subway riders between Westchester Sq. AND 125TH ST. in East Harlem during 'g/o's and sudden shutdowns. "Short trip' Bx21's weekdays start/end at existing terminal at the 149th St-Hub.

BX22-Run the overnight route between Fordham Center(Valentine/Fordham) and Zerega Ave.

BX25-Extend the rou:confused:te and it westbound terminal to 231st Street-Riverdale Avenue via Goulden, Kingsbridge, Bway, and 230rd Street.

BX26-Extend the service hours Monday-Saturdays w/ last bus leaving Paul Ave at 1230am.

BX27-westbound terminal extended 24/7 to West Farms-Tremont (2)(5) station to serve Pathmark-West Farms shopping center on 174th via Morrison and 174th Street. Replaces the Bx36 service along 174th Street. Service to/from Simpson St/Southern Blvd (2)(5) station use the BX4 or (6) subway.

BX28-1)Eastbound terminal extended to Pelham Bay station. 2)Create rush-hour limited stop service along Gun Hill between Bainbridge and Bartow-Baychester.

BX30-Eastbound terminal at Bay Plaza via Bartow, Coop-City, Peartree, Conner and then existing route to Norwood-205th Street (D) station. Use the Bx25/26, 28 and new Bx37/38 for service withing COOP City.

BX34-Extend Northbound terminal to Mount Vernon East MNRR station via Mclean/Nereid Aves., West 5th Street and 5th Ave. ends at Prospect/Park Avs. Late nights BX34 ends at existing terminal at Katonah.

BX36-No longer serves 174th Street between Boston Rd and White Plains Rd. Uses Tremont Ave along this area. 174th Street service replaced by Bx27. The BX36 is always late due to fact it has IMO too many turns.* BX 11 and BX27 under my plan replaces the BX36 for 174th Street service.

BX37-New Route replaces the QBX1-Operates rush hours only between Pelham Bay and western part of Coop sections 1-3(Dresiser loop) Use the BX38 all other times.

BX38-Replaces the QBX1 Coop City section between Bay Plaza and COOP City Blvd. Operates between Dyre Ave (5)station and Pelham Bay at all times. Serves all of COOP City except rush hours. Rush Hours only serves Coop sections 3-6.

This extension to Dyre station also provides another subway connection for COOP City/NE Bronx riders and also helps relieve overcrowding at the Busy Pelham Bay (6) station.

BX40-Create rush hour limited stop service along Tremont between Jermoe Ave and Westchester Sq.(Tremont/Westchester Ave (6) station)

BX50-Renamed QBX1 and shortned to operate only between Bay Plaza and Main-Roosvelt transfer (7) subway station. BX37/38 replaces QBX1 COOP City service. In addition the BX50 loops in/out of College Point Shopping Center via 20th Avenue.

BX55-Restore 7-day service between Gun Hill Road and 149th-3rd Ave w/ 15-20 minute headways(alternative buses)7 days a week. Monday-Saturdays 12-1am & Sundays appx. 9pm-1am BX55 make all stops along 3rd Avenue. Since the (MTA) reduced Gun Hill BX55 service to weekdays only, almost 10 years ago, the BX41 has gotten overcrowded.

BX56-Renamed BX15 service. 30-minute headways between 125th St-Lexington (4)(6) station and Fordham Plaza via 3rd Avenue. Hourly (every other bus) service between 12nd Ave-125th Street and Lexington.

LORD I don't know where to begin on this so here it goes!

Bx1 - You don't need overnight service because you have the D train running ALL night. I have a friend that lives off Grand Concourse and according to him, service has been great on the D train during the overnight in that area. Not necessary.

Bx3, Bx7, Bx10 - It's not happening. Listen, the MTA has been talking about extending the Bx7 and Bx10 to Ludlow MNRR Station for years. The problem is just what I explained with e Q4 idea going to Elmont. That and TOO much political crap as well. Leave those buses as is. Besides, from what I see...the Bx3 does not get as much ridership as other routes.

Bx4, Bx5, Bx6, Bx8 - Not feeling those ideas, especially the Bx6.

Bx9 - Have you lost your damn mind? Ridership is through the freakin roof on that line. Everytime I'm in The Bronx, the Bx9 is so crowded...they are bunching buses...at times on purpose! New Flyer D60HF #5305 was on the Bx9 and at the stop on East Kingsbridge Rd and Grand Concourse. As the bus was taking off, the engine was reving and it sounded like the bus was about to explode because of the amount of people on the bus. It carries...even north of W 242nd St. Two weeks ago, two Bx9 buses heading towards W 262nd St had a good amount of people on the bus.

That's all I'm commenting on...for now.

LORD I don't know where to begin on this so here it goes!

Bx1 - You don't need overnight service because you have the D train running ALL night. I have a friend that lives off Grand Concourse and according to him, service has been great on the D train during the overnight in that area. Not necessary.

Bx3, Bx7, Bx10 - It's not happening. Listen, the MTA has been talking about extending the Bx7 and Bx10 to Ludlow MNRR Station for years. The problem is just what I explained with e Q4 idea going to Elmont. That and TOO much political crap as well. Leave those buses as is. Besides, from what I see...the Bx3 does not get as much ridership as other routes.

Bx4, Bx5, Bx6, Bx8 - Not feeling those ideas, especially the Bx6.

Bx9 - Have you lost your damn mind? Ridership is through the freakin roof on that line. Everytime I'm in The Bronx, the Bx9 is so crowded...they are bunching buses...at times on purpose! New Flyer D60HF #5305 was on the Bx9 and at the stop on East Kingsbridge Rd and Grand Concourse. As the bus was taking off, the engine was reving and it sounded like the bus was about to explode because of the amount of people on the bus. It carries...even north of W 242nd St. Two weeks ago, two Bx9 buses heading towards W 262nd St had a good amount of people on the bus.

That's all I'm commenting on...for now.

Replies to Transit man and B35 via Church.

BX9- In my plan the BX9 is almost the same route. Very few only a handful per trip ride the entire BX9 from times i railfanned between existing route between 262nd and West Farms. I am fully aware a large # of people live along North Broadway use the BX9 between 242nd St (1) subway and the NYC/Yonkers border. The idea was to make the BX9 more relible. Maybe my BX9 proposal was wrong.

Yes there is a few riders i noticed that may live in the Yonkers area or vice versa in Queens and ride the 3-headed monster(Bee line 1-2-3/BX9/Q44)to get between these points like i have done several time in last few years beforing boarding Metro North going to Poughkeepsie)

The u-turn at Broadway and 262nd St is a dangerous problem and was I was trying to be creative. 10 years ago in the pre-artuclated days i seen firsthand a RTS BX9 being hit by a speeding car while making the u-turn. Is there any local streets that the artics could safely turn at Yonkers-Bronx line?

I was wrong and maybe just 'short trip' Bx'9' end/start at 242nd St when Bee line is running. Also by extending the BX3 it gives Riverdale/City Line residents in or near Yonkers a direct bus to Washington Heights.

At least aside from politics quite a few number of riders on both Riverdale Ave and Broadway from NYC/Westchester border-Downtown Yonkers walk from as far as 262nd-Getty Sq. late at night ( i seen it and did it myself)when Bee Line does not run. Either the Bee Line #2 should have 1-hour headways and run all night or NYC Transit BX9 or BX10 to be extended to Getty Sq late evenings and overnights only.

Bx1-Disagree with Transit Man. The (D) only parrells the BX1 between Bedford Park and 161/Yankee Stadium areas. Plus other coordiors in NYC that has both 24/7 bus/subway service ie Park Slope--Downtown Brooklyn (F) Train/B75, Western Queens/Brooklyn via Jamaica Ave (J) train/Q56 Manhattan/Lexington Ave (4)(6)/M101 M102 M103 have all night service why not Grand Concourse?

Plus other than Yankee Stadium none of the Concourse (D)stations are ADA accessible. Its just 1-2 buses running on entire BX1 between 1-5am on hourly headways.

Finally B35 via Church the BX2 would still operate daily about 6am-Midnight w/ no overnight service.

Get back to me guys.

Replies to Transit man and B35 via Church.

BX9- In my plan the BX9 is almost the same route. Very few only a handful per trip ride the entire BX9 from times i railfanned between existing route between 262nd and West Farms. I am fully aware a large # of people live along North Broadway use the BX9 between 242nd St (1) subway and the NYC/Yonkers border. The idea was to make the BX9 more relible. Maybe my BX9 proposal was wrong.

Yes there is a few riders i noticed that may live in the Yonkers area or vice versa in Queens and ride the 3-headed monster(Bee line 1-2-3/BX9/Q44)to get between these points like i have done several time in last few years beforing boarding Metro North going to Poughkeepsie)

The u-turn at Broadway and 262nd St is a dangerous problem and was I was trying to be creative. 10 years ago in the pre-artuclated days i seen firsthand a RTS BX9 being hit by a speeding car while making the u-turn. Is there any local streets that the artics could safely turn at Yonkers-Bronx line?

I was wrong and maybe just 'short trip' Bx'9' end/start at 242nd St when Bee line is running. Also by extending the BX3 it gives Riverdale/City Line residents in or near Yonkers a direct bus to Washington Heights.

At least aside from politics quite a few number of riders on both Riverdale Ave and Broadway from NYC/Westchester border-Downtown Yonkers walk from as far as 262nd-Getty Sq. late at night ( i seen it and did it myself)when Bee Line does not run. Either the Bee Line #2 should have 1-hour headways and run all night or NYC Transit BX9 or BX10 to be extended to Getty Sq late evenings and overnights only.

Bx1-Disagree with Transit Man. The (D) only parrells the BX1 between Bedford Park and 161/Yankee Stadium areas. Plus other coordiors in NYC that has both 24/7 bus/subway service ie Park Slope--Downtown Brooklyn (F) Train/B75, Western Queens/Brooklyn via Jamaica Ave (J) train/Q56 Manhattan/Lexington Ave (4)(6)/M101 M102 M103 have all night service why not Grand Concourse?

Plus other than Yankee Stadium none of the Concourse (D)stations are ADA accessible. Its just 1-2 buses running on entire BX1 between 1-5am on hourly headways.

Finally B35 via Church the BX2 would still operate daily about 6am-Midnight w/ no overnight service.

Get back to me guys.

What your missing is that although people might not be riding the route from WF to riverdale people are riding it from Fordham or Kingsbridge to Riverdale. That creates the need for an extra transfer.

The U-turns in Riverdale may seem dangerous but people for the most part know that the bx7,9,10,bxm1 and bxm2 make those u-turns so its fine. I have seen some B/os go into Yonkers to come back around though

and I believe one used 261 huxley and 262 to come around on the bx9

The bx3 has the 12th highest ridership in the bronx (based off the 2007 statistics). The whole logic about people in riverdale and yonkers trying to get to the heights is part of the reason for the bx20, which doesn't get anyone riding the full route.

You want to avoid making any route extensions to the bx10 @ any time of day simply because the route is a nightmare as is. I would suggest some rush hour LTD service on the route and rerouting it in Bedford Park to speed things up.

I do wish the Bx1 had 60 min headways overnight because the (D) sucks and then to get in the general area that the bx1 serves you have to change to the bx10 which isn't easy.

The bx2 should be put back on 165 that's the only change necessary

What your missing is that although people might not be riding the route from WF to riverdale people are riding it from Fordham or Kingsbridge to Riverdale. That creates the need for an extra transfer.

The U-turns in Riverdale may seem dangerous but people for the most part know that the bx7,9,10,bxm1 and bxm2 make those u-turns so its fine. I have seen some B/os go into Yonkers to come back around though

and I believe one used 261 huxley and 262 to come around on the bx9

The bx3 has the 12th highest ridership in the bronx (based off the 2007 statistics). The whole logic about people in riverdale and yonkers trying to get to the heights is part of the reason for the bx20, which doesn't get anyone riding the full route.

You want to avoid making any route extensions to the bx10 @ any time of day simply because the route is a nightmare as is. I would suggest some rush hour LTD service on the route and rerouting it in Bedford Park to speed things up.

I do wish the Bx1 had 60 min headways overnight because the (D) sucks and then to get in the general area that the bx1 serves you have to change to the bx10 which isn't easy.

The bx2 should be put back on 165 that's the only change necessary

I've seen this BX 9 U-turn performed many times. It isn't pretty. I've witnessed a couple close calls and one minor accident concerning the U-turn. So I've always thought the Bx9 should be extended in to Yonkers. I've always had a pipe dream of extending the Bx7, 9 and 10 to Getty's Sq. but a more realistic idea is to extend the Bx9 north to Valentine Lane in Yonkers. This extension would be invited by local residents who walk pretty much that far into Yonkers from the Bx9's present terminal. The Bx 7 and 10 to Ludlow I'm guessing would also be realistic considering it was actually purposed.

And as for this plan the only changes I agree with are the Bx 5 needing later service. I've lived in that area off and on all my life. At one point the Bx5 ran until well after 1 AM and was way more frequent than the today's Bx5 before the artics came along. I suggest running until at least 1 AM the ridership is there...

and a Bx 19 extension not to Fordham though, from the Botanical Gardens Terminal to possibly Lehman College via Bedford Pk Blvd. as suggested by someone earlier on this forum. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I've seen this BX 9 U-turn performed many times. It isn't pretty. I've witnessed a couple close calls and one minor accident concerning the U-turn. So I've always thought the Bx9 should be extended in to Yonkers. I've always had a pipe dream of extending the Bx7, 9 and 10 to Getty's Sq. but a more realistic idea is to extend the Bx9 north to Valentine Lane in Yonkers. This extension would be invited by local residents who walk pretty much that far into Yonkers from the Bx9's present terminal. The Bx 7 and 10 to Ludlow I'm guessing would also be realistic considering it was actually purposed.

And as for this plan the only changes I agree with are the Bx 5 needing later service. I've lived in that area off and on all my life. At one point the Bx5 ran until well after 1 AM and was way more frequent than the today's Bx5 before the artics came along. I suggest running until at least 1 AM the ridership is there...

and a Bx 19 extension not to Fordham though, from the Botanical Gardens Terminal to possibly Lehman College via Bedford Pk Blvd. as suggested by someone earlier on this forum. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

Thank You:tup::cool:. Someone agrees with me about the dangerous u-turns at the NYC/Yonkers border on both Bway. and Riverdale Ave that NYCT buses make.

Valentine for the BX9 and Ludlow for the BX7/10 is imo excellent compromise terminals over the current locations on 262nd Street. Great idea hoodciti.:tup:

Thank You:tup::cool:. Someone agrees with me about the dangerous u-turns at the NYC/Yonkers border on both Bway. and Riverdale Ave that NYCT buses make.

Valentine for the BX9 and Ludlow for the BX7/10 is imo excellent compromise terminals over the current locations on 262nd Street. Great idea hoodciti.:tup:

Im not saying that I don't think the u-turns have the potential to be dangerous, I just don't believe extensions of the actual routes into Yonkers is necessary. All that has to be done to have KB notify B/os on the bx7/9/10 that after terminating N/b @ either 262 or 263 they have to loop around a designated block as opposed to making the u turn.

I'm 100% against any extension of the Bx9 N/b and bx10 in any direction.

Im not saying that I don't think the u-turns have the potential to be dangerous, I just don't believe extensions of the actual routes into Yonkers is necessary.

x2....

.... & if dude knew how many routes undergo illegal u-turns (other than the Bx7,9,10), he'd opt to extend any of the routes that do...

....and I still don't know what is in Ludlow that would attract riders to take a bus to/from there... MNRR Ludlow is dead, even MNRR Riverdale isn't as (highly) used as one might think....

what would help is adding a jughandle (there's already a small niche in the road where the Bx9 terminates) w/ a traffic light right at the intersection it would create... but I don't think the situation is that dire... Broadway, nor Riverdale av. in north Riverdale isn't THAT heavy with traffic....

- this is a jughandle... if you're heading southbound, it allows for an easier turn onto underhill st, instead of veering to the left-most lane to make a turn (directly on central park av)... or, coming from the pathmark, etc in highridge plz., one could also head north on central park av....

{left lane= southbound (where the "100" marker is) towards the bronx, right lane = northbound, towards white plains}:

325rew.gif

....but adding another 5 minutes (at least) to any of those routes just to send it to nowhere inparticular (like, MNRR Ludlow) just doesn't make sense....

Local/Limited services.

Definitely. Also, I would propose a similar strategy on the Bx2 in addition to a short-turn setup on both lines. Local buses run from The Hub to Fort Independence St while Limited buses serve the entire route, running local on the tail ends. Also, restore the Bx2 to 165 St-Melrose Av

BAD idea. I can see what you would like to accomplish, but this is NOT it. If you plan to provide this kind of service your best bet would be a new Limited service, for the sake of argument the Bx53, to provide Limited service on the stretch. Run the Bx3 between 242 St and GWB Bus Terminal instead to provide a Bee-Line connection. Agree with the overnight service.

Agree. I believe that some sort of Limited service would be in order in this scenario. Perhaps make the "short trip" buses local with the full length buses Limited between Westchester Sq and 149 St.

Agree.

Agree.

I wouldn’t go that far (see my Bx20 proposal for more on why), but instead you could make the last northbound stop on the Bx7 / Bx10 / BxM1 / BxM2 261 St/Riverdale Av, and then turn the buses like this: right onto 261, left onto Tyndall, left onto 263, left onto Riverdale Av, first stop is at 263 St/Riverdale Av.

OK, but again, consider Limited service. Short turn locals at 225 St (current terminal) and at Westchester Sq and run Limiteds the full route 6AM to midnight weekdays, 7AM to 9PM Saturdays, and 8AM to 8PM weekends. Other times run locals the full route. Create new hourly overnight service.

Disagree. Leave the Bx9 as is, with a loop via 262, Huxley, 261 to turn the artics.

Same as the Bx7.

Agree

Agree

Again, I agree. Possibly send the Bx13 via Story for a bit as well to supplement the Bx5.

BX14-Reduced to operating as a shuttle only between Country Club and Pelham Bay (6)<6> subway terminal. BX4 operates entire length of Westchester Ave.

Agree

No real need to do that. If anything, the Bx15 and Bx55 need to be consolidated. Details in my reply to your Bx55 idea.

No. I would choose instead to extend it via Kazmiroff / Mosholu Pkwy / Bainbridge Av to Woodlawn. Turn the buses like this:

1) Straight north along Bainbridge Av to Woodlawn (4) subway station. Lay over there along Bainbridge Av.

2)Hairpin left turn to Jerome Av, head south.

3)Turn left onto Gun Hill Rd, stop at the existing Bx10 stop, right onto Bainbridge Av.

I agree with the idea of Limited service for that line, but make the northern terminal NYBG and extend the Limited-stop region to Fordham-Southern.

Not really going to help. Essentially extend it to Ludlow or Getty Sq and reroute it south of 225 St as follows:

1)Left onto 225 St/Kingsbridge Rd

2)Straight on Kingsbridge to 192 St

3)Follow current Bx9 routing to Southern Blvd.

4)Straight on Pelham Pkwy to White Plains Rd.

Turn it around the triangle formed by WPR, Pelham Pkwy, and Boston Rd. Also, make it the Riverdale/Kingsbridge Limited with local stops in Yonkers and then Limited stops at 263(261 northbound), 254, 246, 239, 232, Kappock, 231/Riverdale, 231/Broadway (230/Broadway southbound), 225, Sedgwick, Jerome, Concourse, Fordham Plaza, Southern, WPR.

Again, I don’t think this would work because 125 St is already legendarily congested. All this would do is add 10-20 minutes to an already long route.

Partially agree. I think it should be extended to Lehman College all times except late nights. Late nights your routing works.

BX25-Extend the rou:confused:te and it westbound terminal to 231st Street-Riverdale Avenue via Goulden, Kingsbridge, Bway, and 230rd Street.

Better idea: Send the Bx25 to 246 St/HHP via Goulden, Sedgwick, Van Cortlandt Park S, Bway, Manhattan College Pkwy, HHP. In order to offset the time increase, run the Bx25 Limited with stops at Earhart La/Erskine Pl, Co-op City Section 5 (by Truman HS), Bartow Av, Eastchester Rd, Williamsbridge Rd, WPR, NYBG/Kazmiroff, Webster, Concourse, Jerome, Paul/205, Van Cortlandt Pk Av/Sedgwick Av (Orloff Av northbound), and then all stops to 246 St.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree. However, instead of making it rush only, what about 8AM-8PM weekdays?

Disagree. Leave the BX30 as is. At this point Co-op is so isolated that it needs all the buses it can get.

Agree.

Disagree. Tremont Av tends to get backed up rather badly in that area and any time gains achieved by the elimination of the turns would be offset by losses due to heavy traffic.

Disagree. Combine the Bx37/38 into one route and use the Bx37 designation for your Bx50 idea.

See my reply to the Bx37 idea.

OK, how about this? Run the Bx42 from Jerome Av to Harding Av as the local along the line and make the Bx40 a full-time Limited line making Limited stops between Jerome/Burnside Avs and Tremont/Randall Avs.

I would say use the Bx50 designation for a Bronx-Astoria Limited line from Paul Av/205 St to LGA Airport. Run the line like this:

1) Upon leaving the airport, the line runs via Astoria Bl/Hoyt Av, making all M60 local stops.

2)On the Triboro, the northbound Bx50 runs via the Major Deegan Expressway to 135 St/Willis Av. The southbound Bx50 runs on 134 St and then merge onto the Triboro. First northbound/last southbound stop in the Bronx is 135 St/Willis Av.

3)It then runs on Willis Av to 149 St/The Hub, stopping at 138 St and 149 St/Willis Av.

4)From there, the Bx50 goes onto Melrose Av, making Limited stops at 161 St, 168 St, 170 St, Claremont Pkwy, Tremont Av, 180 St, Fordham Plaza.

5)Finally, it mirrors the Bx28 route to Paul/205, making Limited stops at Kingsbridge Rd/Concourse, Jerome Av, Bedford Pk Blvd, and Paul/205.

6)Nights, when the Bx22 is cut back to Fordham Center and the 28 is cut back to 205 St, the Bx50 runs local to Fordham Plaza, then Limited to 135 St.

Bx53: Operates as the Ogden Av/University Av/Broadway Limited to supplement Bx3/Bx9 service. Runs like this:

1)Buses begin at Yankee Stadium, at the current Bx13 terminal.

2)Buses make Limited stops on Ogden Av (Ogden/Plimpton Avs northbound) at 167 St, 170 St, and University Av.

3)Buses make Limited stops on University Av at Ogden Av, Tremont Av, Burnside Av, 181 St, 183 St, and Fordham Rd.

4)Buses make Limited stops on Kingsbridge Rd at Sedgwick Av and Broadway/Target, followed by stops on Broadway at 231 St,238 St, 242 St, 251 St, 256 St, 262 st, then local stops to Getty Sq.

BX55-Restore 7-day service between Gun Hill Road and 149th-3rd Ave w/ 15-20 minute headways(alternative buses)7 days a week. Monday-Saturdays 12-1am & Sundays appx. 9pm-1am BX55 make all stops along 3rd Avenue. Since the (MTA) reduced Gun Hill BX55 service to weekdays only, almost 10 years ago, the BX41 has gotten overcrowded.

Agree, but instead of giving it its own designation, combine the Bx15 and the Bx55 into a Bx15 local/Limited line. Run Limited service the full route from Gun Hill Rd to 12 Av/125 St, making Limited stops north of the Hub and then all local stops south of the Hub. Short-turn local buses at 149 St-3 Av while Limited service is running.

Not needed. See my Bx55 reply for more on why.

Bronx/Yonkers Express (MTA) Bus service to come. Feel free to comment/reactions?:cool:

Replies above in green.

Replies above in green.

Ok in reply.

HR replies in Blue.

BX1-Would create overnight service with 1-hour headways between 1-5am.

Definitely. Also, I would propose a similar strategy on the Bx2 in addition to a short-turn setup on both lines. Local buses run from The Hub to Fort Independence St while Limited buses serve the entire route, running local on the tail ends. Also, restore the Bx2 to 165 St-Melrose Av.

I can agree with the BX2 return to its old service pattern in the South Bronx but Concourse if late night service is created only needs '1' bus route plus the (D) and (4)train is nearby as well..

BX3-Extend to Yonkers-Getty Sq. or if not possible run it to 262nd St-Van Corlandt Park station for direct transfer to the Bee Line Buses ie W-1 W-2 W-3. Replaces the BX9 along Broadway between 242 and 262nd St. Also new Hourly BX3 overnight service.

BAD idea. I can see what you would like to accomplish, but this is NOT it. If you plan to provide this kind of service your best bet would be a new Limited service, for the sake of argument the Bx53, to provide Limited service on the stretch. Run the Bx3 between 242 St and GWB Bus Terminal instead to provide a Bee-Line connection. Agree with the overnight service.

BX runs via Westchester Ave between The Hub(149th St/3rd Ave.) and Pelham Bay Park. "Short trip BX4's" start/end at Westchester Sq. train station weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm.

Agree. I believe that some sort of Limited service would be in order in this scenario. Perhaps make the "short trip" buses local with the full length buses Limited between Westchester Sq and 149 St.

BX 5also gets hourly overnight service.

Agree.

BX 6Westbound Terminal extended to 168th St/Columbia-Presbyterian Hosptial. Also BX6 should use artics as well.

Agree.

BXextended to Getty Sq.-Yonkers. If politics makes it impossible then why not run it at least to the Ludlow St Metro North Hudson line station. Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

I wouldn’t go that far (see my Bx20 proposal for more on why), but instead you could make the last northbound stop on the Bx7 / Bx10 / BxM1 / BxM2 261 St/Riverdale Av, and then turn the buses like this: right onto 261, left onto Tyndall, left onto 263, left onto Riverdale Av, first stop is at 263 St/Riverdale Av.

Those streets are very narrow especially for MCI Coaches for the BXM1 and BXM2. Ludlow MNRR station still look the best place to terminate the BX7/10 and BXM1-2.

OK, but again, consider Limited service. Short turn locals at 225 St (current terminal) and at Westchester Sq and run Limiteds the full route 6AM to midnight weekdays, 7AM to 9PM Saturdays, and 8AM to 8PM weekends. Other times run locals the full route. Create new hourly overnight service.

HR reply. The BX8 only has peak hour headways of every 10-12 minutes so this route does not qualify for a limited. Your 'short turn' BX8 idea i agree with.

BX-Restuctured-Operates only between 242nd Street-Van Corlandt Park and 177th-Parkchester subway station. Very few BX9 riders use this line the entire route between West Farms and 262nd St/City Line. This route is always late. BX3 replaces the BXalong Broadway between NYC line and the subway station. I know this is controversial but on few times i railfanned the BX9 i only seen at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from 262 nd St-West Farms.

Disagree. Leave the Bx9 as is, with a loop via 262, Huxley, 261 to turn the artics.

Same as the Bx7.

BX11-Extended via Southern Blvd and East 174th Street to Parkchester-177th St. subway station. Replaces the BX36 which travels along Tremont between WP Road and Boston Rd.

Agree

Agree

BX13-Extend the eastbound terminal to help out the BX to 163rd Street-Hunts Point subway station. Also the needs to promote this BX13 more for riders going to Yankee games as alrenative to subway transfer using the GW Bridge Bus station on Coach USA/Rockland Coaches or NJ Transit.

Again, I agree. Possibly send the Bx13 via Story for a bit as well to supplement the Bx5.

BX14-Reduced to operating as a shuttle only between Country Club and Pelham Bay subway terminal. BX4 operates entire length of Westchester Ave.

Agree

No real need to do that. If anything, the Bx15 and Bx55 need to be consolidated. Details in my reply to your Bx55 idea.

No. I would choose instead to extend it via Kazmiroff / Mosholu Pkwy / Bainbridge Av to Woodlawn. Turn the buses like this:

1) Straight north along Bainbridge Av to Woodlawn subway station. Lay over there along Bainbridge Av.

2)Hairpin left turn to Jerome Av, head south.

3)Turn left onto Gun Hill Rd, stop at the existing Bx10 stop, right onto Bainbridge Av.

I agree with the idea of Limited service for that line, but make the northern terminal NYBG and extend the Limited-stop region to Fordham-Southern.

Not really going to help. Essentially extend it to Ludlow or Getty Sq and reroute it south of 225 St as follows:

1)Left onto 225 St/Kingsbridge Rd

2)Straight on Kingsbridge to 192 St

3)Follow current Bx9 routing to Southern Blvd.

4)Straight on Pelham Pkwy to White Plains Rd.

Turn it around the triangle formed by WPR, Pelham Pkwy, and Boston Rd. Also, make it the Riverdale/Kingsbridge Limited with local stops in Yonkers and then Limited stops at 263(261 northbound), 254, 246, 239, 232, Kappock, 231/Riverdale, 231/Broadway (230/Broadway southbound), 225, Sedgwick, Jerome, Concourse, Fordham Plaza, Southern, WPR.

BX21-Extend southbound terminal to 125th St-Lexington station lines. Provides an 24/7 alternative bus service for all of the South and Southeast Bronx communities for subway riders between Westchester Sq. AND 125TH ST. in East Harlem during 'g/o's and sudden shutdowns. "Short trip' Bx21's weekdays start/end at existing terminal at the 149th St-Hub.

Again, I don’t think this would work because 125 St is already legendarily congested. All this would do is add 10-20 minutes to an already long route.

Partially agree. I think it should be extended to Lehman College all times except late nights. Late nights your routing works.

Why? Lehman College like most CUNY colleges is dead especially on Sundays. Maybe extending every other bus on Saturdays only until 8pm. The BX9 and BX28 are nearby between Fordham and Lehman.

BX25-Extend the route and it westbound terminal to 231st Street-Riverdale Avenue via Goulden, Kingsbridge, Bway, and 230rd Street.

Better idea: Send the Bx25 to 246 St/HHP via Goulden, Sedgwick, Van Cortlandt Park S, Bway, Manhattan College Pkwy, HHP. In order to offset the time increase, run the Bx25 Limited with stops at Earhart La/Erskine Pl, Co-op City Section 5 (by Truman HS), Bartow Av, Eastchester Rd, Williamsbridge Rd, WPR, NYBG/Kazmiroff, Webster, Concourse, Jerome, Paul/205, Van Cortlandt Pk Av/Sedgwick Av (Orloff Av northbound), and then all stops to 246 St. The BX25/26 combined headways is every 7-8 minutes not enough for limited stop service.

Agree.

BX27-westbound terminal extended 24/7 to West Farms-Tremont station to serve Pathmark-West Farms shopping center on 174th via Morrison and 174th Street. Replaces the Bx36 service along 174th Street. Service to/from Simpson St/Southern Blvd station use the BX4 or subway.

Agree.

[/color]I take back extending the BX28 to Pelham Bay but i still endorse limited stop service at least rush hours.

BX30-Eastbound terminal at Bay Plaza via Bartow, Coop-City, Peartree, Conner and then existing route to Norwood-205th Street station. Use the Bx25/26, 28 and new Bx37/38 for service withing COOP City.

Disagree. Leave the BX30 as is. At this point Co-op is so isolated that it needs all the buses it can get.

Agree.

Disagree. Tremont Av tends to get backed up rather badly in that area and any time gains achieved by the elimination of the turns would be offset by losses due to heavy traffic.

OK since you live in that area maybe i put back my BX36 onto Tremont idea.

Disagree. Combine the Bx37/38 into one route and use the Bx37 designation for your Bx50 idea.

BX38-Replaces the QBX1 Coop City section between Bay Plaza and COOP City Blvd. Operates between Dyre Ave station and Pelham Bay at all times. Serves all of COOP City except rush hours. Rush Hours only serves Coop sections 3-6.

This extension to Dyre station also provides another subway connection for COOP City/NE Bronx riders and also helps relieve overcrowding at the Busy Pelham Bay station.

See my reply to the Bx37 idea.

BX40-Create rush hour limited stop service along Tremont between Jermoe Ave and Westchester Sq.(Tremont/Westchester Ave station)

OK, how about this? Run the Bx42 from Jerome Av to Harding Av as the local along the line and make the Bx40 a full-time Limited line making Limited stops between Jerome/Burnside Avs and Tremont/Randall Avs.

A BX40 Limited is not needed on weekends. Maybe i can accept an all day weekday limited until but that it. Other than between Westchester Sq and Jerome on weekend i seen plenty of 'empty' BX40/42.

BX50-Renamed QBX1 and shortned to operate only between Bay Plaza and Main-Roosvelt transfer subway station. BX37/38 replaces QBX1 COOP City service. In addition the BX50 loops in/out of College Point Shopping Center via 20th Avenue.

I would say use the Bx50 designation for a Bronx-Astoria Limited line from Paul Av/205 St to LGA Airport. Run the line like this:

1) Upon leaving the airport, the line runs via Astoria Bl/Hoyt Av, making all M60 local stops.

2)On the Triboro, the northbound Bx50 runs via the Major Deegan Expressway to 135 St/Willis Av. The southbound Bx50 runs on 134 St and then merge onto the Triboro. First northbound/last southbound stop in the Bronx is 135 St/Willis Av.

3)It then runs on Willis Av to 149 St/The Hub, stopping at 138 St and 149 St/Willis Av.

4)From there, the Bx50 goes onto Melrose Av, making Limited stops at 161 St, 168 St, 170 St, Claremont Pkwy, Tremont Av, 180 St, Fordham Plaza.

5)Finally, it mirrors the Bx28 route to Paul/205, making Limited stops at Kingsbridge Rd/Concourse, Jerome Av, Bedford Pk Blvd, and Paul/205.

6)Nights, when the Bx22 is cut back to Fordham Center and the 28 is cut back to 205 St, the Bx50 runs local to Fordham Plaza, then Limited to 135 St.

I forgot about adding in a LGA-Bronx bus route. Going to Bedford Park is way too long. I more agree with Lee Sandler proposal of a Bronx-LGA route between Fordham area and the airport via Webster Ave.

Bx53: Operates as the Ogden Av/University Av/Broadway Limited to supplement Bx3/Bx9 service. Runs like this:

1)Buses begin at Yankee Stadium, at the current Bx13 terminal.

2)Buses make Limited stops on Ogden Av (Ogden/Plimpton Avs northbound) at 167 St, 170 St, and University Av.

3)Buses make Limited stops on University Av at Ogden Av, Tremont Av, Burnside Av, 181 St, 183 St, and Fordham Rd.

4)Buses make Limited stops on Kingsbridge Rd at Sedgwick Av and Broadway/Target, followed by stops on Broadway at 231 St,238 St, 242 St, 251 St, 256 St, 262 st, then local stops to Getty Sq.

BX55-Restore 7-day service between Gun Hill Road and 149th-3rd Ave w/ 15-20 minute headways(alternative buses)7 days a week. Monday-Saturdays 12-1am & Sundays appx. 9pm-1am BX55 make all stops along 3rd Avenue. Since the reduced Gun Hill BX55 service to weekdays only, almost 10 years ago, the BX41 has gotten overcrowded.

Agree, but instead of giving it its own designation, combine the Bx15 and the Bx55 into a Bx15 local/Limited line. Run Limited service the full route from Gun Hill Rd to 12 Av/125 St, making Limited stops north of the Hub and then all local stops south of the Hub. Short-turn local buses at 149 St-3 Av while Limited service is running.

If you wanted to combine the BX15/55 name it should be the BX55 to avoid confusion w/ M15. Not nad idea but would not riders along 3rd Ave boarding at the 149th-3rd (2)(5) station be unhappy if they no longer can get a seat?[[/FONT]COLOR="Blue"]

Boy's Replies above in green.

HR replies in Blue.

Thank you, thank you.... B) I've always thought the Bx7,9 & 10 should be extended.

Im not saying that I don't think the u-turns have the potential to be dangerous, I just don't believe extensions of the actual routes into Yonkers is necessary. All that has to be done to have KB notify B/os on the bx7/9/10 that after terminating N/b @ either 262 or 263 they have to loop around a designated block as opposed to making the u turn.

I'm 100% against any extension of the Bx9 N/b and bx10 in any direction.

The extension I suggested isn't just to serve Broadway and Riverdale Avenue in Yonkers, cutting into Beeline Service, its more for convince and safety. yes its not like these buses are crashing into cars on a daily basis but if such possible incidents can be avoided why not do so. Whats another 3 to 6 blocks? and remember in many cases MTA routes cross the city line so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I dont particularly think the Ludlow Railroad Station is the best terminal. I just think the general area has a lot of easier opportunities to turn the buses around. I'm sure the area would invite more bus service rather than just the W8 which doesnt serve a subway connection.

And maybe the Bx10 route should be reduced to 246th Street at least during the week and extend the Bx20 to Ludlow along with Bx7.

Since Hudson River wanted some sort of reply from me, to this (via PM)....

Hudson, this gentleman's reply below still doesn't convince me that the Bx7 & the 10 should be sent up there....

The extension I suggested isn't just to serve Broadway and Riverdale Avenue in Yonkers, cutting into Beeline Service, its more for convince and safety. yes its not like these buses are crashing into cars on a daily basis but if such possible incidents can be avoided why not do so. Whats another 3 to 6 blocks? and remember in many cases MTA routes cross the city line so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Convenience? to who? the agency... the bus driver ... pedestrians... drivers of oncoming traffic... potential riders... you kidding me... Why not extend those routes to Ludlow - again, who exactly would benefit from such an extension? What group of riders.... You or Hudson don't address this... it's not about simply crossing over the city line (well, from the MTA's standpoint, it is.. but for the sake of this discussion/sharing of ideas, lets say politics has no bearing on this)... it's not about taking away riders from the BL-8 (b/c that simply wont happen)... and it's not no "3 to 6" blocks from city line to Ludlow... especially not to/from the RR station there...

It's one thing to send buses 1, 2, or even 3 short blocks away from the main road it travels on, for turnaround purposes - but into a whole 'nother area HALF A MILE away from the city line?

I dont particularly think the Ludlow Railroad Station is the best terminal. I just think the general area has a lot of easier opportunities to turn the buses around. I'm sure the area would invite more bus service rather than just the W8 which doesnt serve a subway connection.

And maybe the Bx10 route should be reduced to 246th Street at least during the week and extend the Bx20 to Ludlow along with Bx7.

Not turning buses anywhere else in that little neighborhood, other than the RR station (Ludlow); that would be the equivalent of having buses run from Broadway, to Riverdale av (or vice versa, cutting through Fieldston), so I don't know where exactly you're thinking of, when you say "easier opportunities" to turn buses around.... the area east of riverdale av isn't ludlow, just to let you know....

....and why shortchange Bx10 Riverdale riders to facilitate for what few Bx20 riders exist.... just leave the Bx7 & the Bx10 where they are...

Archived