Bronx area Local/Express Bus ideas for 2010 and or after the recession

Shortline Bus

Since Hudson River wanted some sort of reply from me, to this (via PM)....

Hudson, this gentleman's reply below still doesn't convince me that the Bx7 & the 10 should be sent up there....

Convenience? to who? the agency... the bus driver ... pedestrians... drivers of oncoming traffic... potential riders... you kidding me... Why not extend those routes to Ludlow - again, who exactly would benefit from such an extension? What group of riders.... You or Hudson don't address this... it's not about simply crossing over the city line (well, from the MTA's standpoint, it is.. but for the sake of this discussion/sharing of ideas, lets say politics has no bearing on this)... it's not about taking away riders from the BL-8 (b/c that simply wont happen)... and it's not no "3 to 6" blocks from city line to Ludlow... especially not to/from the RR station there...

It's one thing to send buses 1, 2, or even 3 short blocks away from the main road it travels on, for turnaround purposes - but into a whole 'nother area HALF A MILE away from the city line?

Not turning buses anywhere else in that little neighborhood, other than the RR station (Ludlow); that would be the equivalent of having buses run from Broadway, to Riverdale av (or vice versa, cutting through Fieldston), so I don't know where exactly you're thinking of, when you say "easier opportunities" to turn buses around.... the area east of riverdale av isn't ludlow, just to let you know....

....and why shortchange Bx10 Riverdale riders to facilitate for what few Bx20 riders exist.... just leave the Bx7 & the Bx10 where they are...

I got a PM as well...

Replacing the Bx10 on its 6-8 min headways with the Bx20 on its 20 min headways makes no sense.

Just to make people happy with Bx9 just make it run N/B Bway to 262 terminate. left on 262 left on Huxley right on Broadway. As for the Bx7 and Bx10 with that whole loop it around 261-Tyndall-263 NIMBY ain't having that.

The Bx3 isn't going to successfully make a right from 238 St onto Broadway to get to 242 and that extension isnt needed. Everyone on the Bx3 at that point is going to the (1).

If the Bx4 had LTD service I would love to see 1 Artic try and bypass another under the ELs.... without taking out peds or a pillar

The Bx8 doesn't have enough service nor riders to warrant even short turns. that terminal on 226 is fine plus its in front of my favorite jamacian restaurant :cool:.

You wanna turn Artics at Jerome?! not to mention that would shortchange Morris Heights some bus service. The headways need to be bumped up on the Bx40/42

I'll pass on the Bx53 LTD and my problem with the Bx25 LTD/extension is that the Bx25/26 as it stands doesn't have the peak headway requirement for LTD service. Running it on MC Parkway is putting it in Fieldston which won't fly at all. And the route will be dead West of Bailey.

One new suggestion I'll add is make the Bx13 terminate at the new Gateway Center. There needs to be a route passing directly by it and you can add more service to the Bx6 across 161 (short turn buses at Yankee Stadium). Give me a minute to figure out how to turn it around

I would like to add. Is it possiable that the Bx40/42 can have +SBS service? Especially since its heavly used during AM Hours towards West Farms SQ (2)(5) East Bound and same applies for East bound service..

Paying before people board might work on that route and several others in the Bronx but SBS buses won't be able to pass each other on Tremont between 3rd ave West Farms SQ, its too narrow unless they take parking off the street doing rush hours... which should be done on 181 St to lessen traffic (weekdays 7 am-9pm)

I got a PM as well...

Replacing the Bx10 on its 6-8 min headways with the Bx20 on its 20 min headways makes no sense.

Just to make people happy with Bx9 just make it run N/B Bway to 262 terminate. left on 262 left on Huxley right on Broadway. As for the Bx7 and Bx10 with that whole loop it around 261-Tyndall-263 NIMBY ain't having that.

The Bx3 isn't going to successfully make a right from 238 St onto Broadway to get to 242 and that extension isnt needed. Everyone on the Bx3 at that point is going to the (1).

If the Bx4 had LTD service I would love to see 1 Artic try and bypass another under the ELs.... without taking out peds or a pillar

The Bx8 doesn't have enough service nor riders to warrant even short turns. that terminal on 226 is fine plus its in front of my favorite jamacian restaurant :cool:.

You wanna turn Artics at Jerome?! not to mention that would shortchange Morris Heights some bus service. The headways need to be bumped up on the Bx40/42

I'll pass on the Bx53 LTD and my problem with the Bx25 LTD/extension is that the Bx25/26 as it stands doesn't have the peak headway requirement for LTD service. Running it on MC Parkway is putting it in Fieldston which won't fly at all. And the route will be dead West of Bailey.

One new suggestion I'll add is make the Bx13 terminate at the new Gateway Center. There needs to be a route passing directly by it and you can add more service to the Bx6 across 161 (short turn buses at Yankee Stadium). Give me a minute to figure out how to turn it around

I think either B35's idea of creating a special u-turn lane/pavement and light at 262nd/263rd for the BX7/10 and BX9 or extending the BX7/10 toludlow & BX9 are both excellent compromise ideas and most realstic of occuring barring a (MTA) take over of Bee line.

• 4 months later...

Here are my Bronx ideas for 2010:

A new Bx37 serves Baychester Av from Wakefield to Pelham Bay Park. For the first time ever, Baychester Av on the (5) will have a direct bus connection

A new Bx38 travels from Eastchester to Inwood via Boston Rd/Pelham Pkwy. IMO Bee-line ain't for me

more to come

This is my spin on Bronx Bus Ideas:

Bx1: extended to 246th/Hudson Pkwy via Riverdale to replace Bx7

Bx2: restored along 165th and Melrose. However, it would terminate at 149th/3rd Av (like the Bx2 did back in the 1990s when the Bx41 went to 138th St).

Bx4: rerouted via the Bx14's route between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park, serving the apartments in Parkchester

Bx7: rerouted via Kappock St to replace the Bx20 in Spuyten Duyvil and Southern Riverdale. Those riders would have better access to the 225th St shopping center, the (A) train, the Bx12 at 207th St, and Allen Pavilion.

Bx8: rerouted to terminate at Harding-Emerson Avs to replace Bx42.

The Locust Point-Edgewater portion of the Bx8 is replaced by the Bx29.

Route: Crosby, Logan, Barkley, Tremont, Randall, Balcom, Miles, Emerson, Harding

Bx9: rerouted to terminate at East 180th St (2)(5) station, giving East Tremont, Belmont, and West Farms riders access to the <5> express.

Bx11: like I mentioned in a doomsday thread, the Bx11 would be rerouted to River Park Towers, replacing the Bx18 along Undercliff and Sedgwick. However, the Bx11 would still serve 168th St and Shakespeare Av.

Route: Shakespeare, 168th, 167th, Sedgwick, Undercliff

Bx12: agreeing with a previous idea of 20 minute late night headways

Bx13: extended to Barretto Point Park via Longwood Av, giving Hunts Point riders first-time access to the park and the (2) and (5) at Prospect Av. Currently, many Hunts Point and Longwood riders use the Bx6 to Prospect Av (since the stairs at Intervale Av are very long).

Route: 161st St, Elton, 163rd, Prospect, Longwood, Spofford, Halleck, Viele

Bx14: canned

Replaced by the Bx4 between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park

Replaced by the Bx29 between Pelham Bay and Country Club

Bx15: cut back to Lexington Av-125th St, reducing delays in the Bronx

Bx16: rerouted via Katonah Av to replace the Bx34, extended to 192nd St/VAlentine AV to also replace the Bx34

Route: Nereid, McLean, Katonah, 233rd, Jerome, Bainbridge, Bedford Park, Valentine, 192nd

Northbound: 192nd, Kingsbridge, 194th, Bainbridge, Jerome, 233rd, Katonah, McLean, Nereid, regular route

Bx17: rerouted along 187th Street to give service to Little Italy for the first time since the 1960s/1970s (when the old Bx3 ran along 187th St en route to Fordham).

Route: Crotona, 187th, 3rd

Bx18: canned, see Bx11 for details

Bx19: I would split the route into two, the Bx19 and Bx38. The Bx19 would run between Westchester/Southern and Riverbank Park. Bx38 would run between Bronx HS of Science and 135th/St. Ann's

Bx38 route: 205th, Paul, Bedford, Southern, Bruckner, 135th

Bx20: canned, replaced by Bx7

Bx26: I agree with MTA's idea of having the Bx26 serve sections 4-5 only. But in addition, this route is extended west to 231st St/Riverdale Av to transfer to the Bx3 for Bronx Community College, the (1), and serving Walton HS, the 225th St shopping center, and the 231st St shops. The Bx26 extension would relieve crowds off the Bx9 and Bx10.

Route: Bedford, Goulden, Kingsbridge, 225th, Broadway, 231st st

Bx27: I agree with the route replacing the Bx36 along 174th Street. It would run from Fordham to Clason's Point, providing Soundview riders more transfers to northern bus lines, like the Bx12, the Bx40/42, and the Bx36.

Route: Rosedale, 174th, Hoe-Vyse, Boston Rd, Bronx Park S, 182nd, Arthur, 184th, 3rd Av

The Bx27 would serve St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham Plaza, Little Italy, the Bronx Zoo, the Cross Bronx Plaza, and the Bronx River Houses. It gives Rosedale Av riders a faster ride to the (6) at St. Lawrence Av.

Bx28: new LTD service created between Norwood and Edson/Bartow.

Stops: Local in Coop City then...Edson/Bartow, Eastchester/GunHill, Seymour (5) train, Boston Rd, Bronxwood/Evander Childs HS, White Plains (2) sta, Webster, Montefiore/Bainbridge, 206th (D) station, then local to 192nd st.

The Bx28 locals run only between Norwood and Coop City.

Bx29: runs between Locust Point and City Island. It gives Country Club and Edgewater residents a transfer to the (6) at the busier Pelham Bay station, but also transfers to the Bx12 to Bay Plaza and Fordham.

Plus, the Bx29 would loop around Orchard Beach

Route: City Island, Orchard Beach Loop, Shore Rd, Bruckner Blvd, Middletown Rd, Stadium Av, Dean AV, then Bx8 route to Locust Point

Bx30: serves sections 3-4-5 only in Coop City, bypassing Truman HS and giving residents in Sections 3-4-5 access to the (5) at Dyre and Baychester Avs. In addition, the route becomes a 222nd St crosstown, serving Edenwald.

This provides Edenwald residents faster access to the (2) at 219th St and first-time access to Montefiore Hospital and the (D) in Norwood.

Route: regular route to Bartow Av then...Asch, Coop City Blvd, Peartree, Boston, Bivona, Tillotson, Baychester, Schieffelin Av, 222nd St, White Plains Rd, Gun Hill, then regular route to Norwood.

Bx31: extended south to Castle Hill via Commerce/Zerega to serve the industrial areas.

Bx34: canned, replaced by Bx16

Bx36: rerouted via 180th, Rosedale, Cross Bronx to reduce delays

New LTD stops: Southern Blvd, Morris Park Av, Parkchester Station

Route: 180th St, Rosedale-Taylor, Cross Bronx

Bx38: see Bx19

Bx40: increased service as a result of canning the Bx42

Bx42: canned, replaced by Bx8

Bx41: LTD service expanded to weekdays to relieve congestion on Bx55

Bx55: extended to 138th St/3rd Av to replace Bx2 and provides 3rd Av riders an alternative to the (5) and (2) with the (6) line. runs to Gun Hill Rd all times except late nights to relieve crowding on the Bx41.

QBx1: agree with splitting the route into two, the Q50 and Bx23.

Q50: Flushing to Bay Plaza via Section 5 in Coop City, replacing the Bx29 in that section.

Bx23: Pelham Bay to Coop City loop via Sections 1-2-3-4. Section 5 is covered by the Q50.

My replies are in green

NIMBYs won't have Artics turning in Fieldston and that would make the Bx1 too long

Bx2: restored along 165th and Melrose. However, it would terminate at 149th/3rd Av (like the Bx2 did back in the 1990s when the Bx41 went to 138th St).

I agree with the 1st part but the 41 needed to be cut back because it was too long

Bx4: rerouted via the Bx14's route between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park, serving the apartments in Parkchester

The Bx4 should stay the same and lose the artics

Bx7: rerouted via Kappock St to replace the Bx20 in Spuyten Duyvil and Southern Riverdale. Those riders would have better access to the 225th St shopping center, the (A) train, the Bx12 at 207th St, and Allen Pavilion.

The whole reason for why the headways on the 20 ( which currently has this routing) are so low is because no one is trying to get from Riverdale to Inwood really. Leave it as is

Route: Crosby, Logan, Barkley, Tremont, Randall, Balcom, Miles, Emerson, Harding.

No way, this will just make the 8 even more delayed and i know a lot of people who live E of the expressway that take the 8 north of the (6) for other bus connections

Bx9: rerouted to terminate at East 180th St (2)(5) station, giving East Tremont, Belmont, and West Farms riders access to the <5> express. I agree somewhat, by rerouting it you give people direct access to the <5> but people lose some direct bus connections, plus it isnt that bad to backtrack 1 stop uptown

Bx11: like I mentioned in a doomsday thread, the Bx11 would be rerouted to River Park Towers, replacing the Bx18 along Undercliff and Sedgwick. However, the Bx11 would still serve 168th St and Shakespeare Av.

Its not ending at River Park Towers if its following the current 18 route. Also people along 170 st would be forced to transfer to the Bx13 or 35 to get to 181 st. Combining them would also delayed the 2 sections and result in far to many buses serving Morris Heights and this would skip Macombs Road so people would still lose service. An alternative would be to have a Bx11 every 20 mins run to Undercliff via the current 18 route but WF doesnt need to be picking up anymore routes

Bx12: agreeing with a previous idea of 20 minute late night headways

Bx13: extended to Barretto Point Park via Longwood Av, giving Hunts Point riders first-time access to the park and the (2) and (5) at Prospect Av. Currently, many Hunts Point and Longwood riders use the Bx6 to Prospect Av (since the stairs at Intervale Av are very long).

Route: 161st St, Elton, 163rd, Prospect, Longwood, Spofford, Halleck, Viele

I'd rather see the Bx13 going to Gateway

I feel like if they combined the 14 and 29 cut out the Co-op part and looped it thru CC the combined route would have enough passengers, if you want the possible routing i wrote it down somewhere

Lex-125 is already pressed for space turning buses now

Bx16: rerouted via Katonah Av to replace the Bx34, extended to 192nd St/VAlentine AV to also replace the Bx34

Route: Nereid, McLean, Katonah, 233rd, Jerome, Bainbridge, Bedford Park, Valentine, 192nd

Northbound: 192nd, Kingsbridge, 194th, Bainbridge, Jerome, 233rd, Katonah, McLean, Nereid, regular route

I agree, at this point it might not even be necessary to have 2 routes on Katonah so the 31 could just handle things (although that'd force people to use the (2) )

Bx17: rerouted along 187th Street to give service to Little Italy for the first time since the 1960s/1970s (when the old Bx3 ran along 187th St en route to Fordham).

is there a need for that service?

Bx18: canned, see Bx11 for details

Bx19: I would split the route into two, the Bx19 and Bx38. The Bx19 would run between Westchester/Southern and Riverbank Park. Bx38 would run between Bronx HS of Science and 135th/St. Ann's

Bx38 route: 205th, Paul, Bedford, Southern, Bruckner, 135th

basically the southern portion is going to be the old bx 17 routing which they canned because of a lack of ridership... eh just add LTD on the 19 and call it a day

Bx20: canned, replaced by Bx7

Bx26: I agree with MTA's idea of having the Bx26 serve sections 4-5 only. But in addition, this route is extended west to 231st St/Riverdale Av to transfer to the Bx3 for Bronx Community College, the (1), and serving Walton HS, the 225th St shopping center, and the 231st St shops. The Bx26 extension would relieve crowds off the Bx9 and Bx10.

Route: Bedford, Goulden, Kingsbridge, 225th, Broadway, 231st st

Then what happens if someone on Allerton is trying to get to Sec 1-3? Cutting up those routes in Co-op is going to cause mayhem. Theres no need for the extension because by the time the bx26 hits the GC its empty and those left want the Bx10

Bx27: I agree with the route replacing the Bx36 along 174th Street. It would run from Fordham to Clason's Point, providing Soundview riders more transfers to northern bus lines, like the Bx12, the Bx40/42, and the Bx36.

Route: Rosedale, 174th, Hoe-Vyse, Boston Rd, Bronx Park S, 182nd, Arthur, 184th, 3rd Av

The Bx27 would serve St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham Plaza, Little Italy, the Bronx Zoo, the Cross Bronx Plaza, and the Bronx River Houses. It gives Rosedale Av riders a faster ride to the (6) at St. Lawrence Av.

The Fordham Plaza Area doesn't need all the service you are trying to give it. They have a hard enough time as is getting the Bx15/17/55 outta there now. The furthest north it should go is W.Farms SQ where people can just change for the Bx9

Bx28: new LTD service created between Norwood and Edson/Bartow.

Stops: Local in Coop City then...Edson/Bartow, Eastchester/GunHill, Seymour (5) train, Boston Rd, Bronxwood/Evander Childs HS, White Plains (2) sta, Webster, Montefiore/Bainbridge, 206th (D) station, then local to 192nd st.

The Bx28 locals run only between Norwood and Coop City.

I agree 100%

Bx29: runs between Locust Point and City Island. It gives Country Club and Edgewater residents a transfer to the (6) at the busier Pelham Bay station, but also transfers to the Bx12 to Bay Plaza and Fordham.

Route: City Island, Orchard Beach Loop, Shore Rd, Bruckner Blvd, Middletown Rd, Stadium Av, Dean AV, then Bx8 route to Locust Point

see Bx8/14 comment and outside of the summer why would anyone be going to the beach?

Bx30: serves sections 3-4-5 only in Coop City, bypassing Truman HS and giving residents in Sections 3-4-5 access to the (5) at Dyre and Baychester Avs. In addition, the route becomes a 222nd St crosstown, serving Edenwald.

This provides Edenwald residents faster access to the (2) at 219th St and first-time access to Montefiore Hospital and the (D) in Norwood.

Route: regular route to Bartow Av then...Asch, Coop City Blvd, Peartree, Boston, Bivona, Tillotson, Baychester, Schieffelin Av, 222nd St, White Plains Rd, Gun Hill, then regular route to Norwood.

And then the Boston Road shopping district loses its main bus (the Bee-Line service is erratic). Its less than a block from the Baychester Av (5) as is and also no offense to anyone but Sec 3 (Bellamy Loop) is the dead section no one ever gets off there so it make more sense for it to serve Baychester Av

Bx31: extended south to Castle Hill via Commerce/Zerega to serve the industrial areas.

The Bx22 is fine by itself over there

Bx34: canned, replaced by Bx16

I agree

Bx38: see Bx19

Bx42: canned, replaced by Bx8

Okay replacing the Bx42 with the Bx8 would result in a service cut on that branch (the 8 runs every 10-12 at best , at worst every 30 mins). Making Bx40 LTD and Bx42 local would work for speeding things up

I agree

Bx55: extended to 138th St/3rd Av to replace Bx2 and provides 3rd Av riders an alternative to the (5) and (2) with the (6) line. runs to Gun Hill Rd all times except late nights to relieve crowding on the Bx41.

Yes to the northern part no to the southern part

Q50: Flushing to Bay Plaza via Section 5 in Coop City, replacing the Bx29 in that section.

Bx23: Pelham Bay to Coop City loop via Sections 1-2-3-4. Section 5 is covered by the Q50.

I agree with the Q50 more so than the Bx23 because then you end up with a mess if someone is in Sec1 and trying to get over to Sec 5.

Bx1- Overnight service starting every 55min. Bx3- Starts using half of it's route artics during rush hours. Bx8- No service for last few buses. Avarage amount of passengers is 0 on 1 bus as it crosses Allerton Ave. Bx11- Extra eastbound buses during rush hours starting at Jerome ave Bx12+select+- Service ends at 12AM Bx13- Extended to 149st Concourse (2)(4)(5) station via Gateway Center Bx18- Extended to Crotona Park, via Bx11 route during weekdays only. Bx20- Sunday service every 30 min. Bx25- Rush hour limited Bx35- 25% of buses will be artics during Rush hours. Better service service making buses every 5 min. during morning rush, 7 min. during evening rush. Bx36/Bx36 LTD- More artics in service

My replies are in green

With some of your replies in mind, here are some of my responses.

First, for the Bx13, since I live in Morrisania, the Bx6 is constantly packed from Southern Blvd to Yankee Stadium, not just in rush hours, but also Middays and weekends. The Bx13's school trippers from 3rd Avenue have been a godsend for many of us here in Morrisania. This is why I want the Bx13 to help out the Bx6 by having it go to Hunts Point.

Next, with the Bx11 replacing the Bx18. I've always heard from many living in the Heights that the buses are causing too much traffic. So I decided to cut one of the five routes. I suggested the Bx11 because it would provide a direct route from Morris Heights to Highbridge (where many transfer from the Bx3 to the Bx13 or Bx35) and give Undercliff-Sedgwick riders as well as those from the Towers some much needed relief to the always delayed Bx40/42. As for its depot, I would split it between Kingsbridge and West Farms.

With the Bx29 heading to Locust Point and Country Club, I had that route sent there since not too many riders use the buses in those areas. In addition, the Bx8 is sent to a more popular part of Throggs Neck where riders would have direct access to Morris Park and Pelham Parkway.

As for the Bx9 to East 180th St, they only lose one direct bus transfer, the Bx40/42 to Throggs Neck/Parkchester. That transfer would only require a block walk. They transfer to the Bx36 at Crotona Parkway and to the Q44 at Boston Road.

The Bx27 going to Fordham would be a really big help. It fills a crosstown gap between East 180th St and Fordham Road. Plus, it provides an alternative to the often-delayed Bx9 bus for travel between West Farms and Fordham. Plus, Soundview/174th St riders are able to transfer to buses heading to the Northern and Eastern sections of the Bronx and Upper Manhattan.

I'm only gonna comment on the ones I haven't seen from you before...

Riverdale doesn't need all that service... you, being a Bronxite, know how frequent Bx1's are....

Similar to an idea I had... except I'd still have it's terminal remaining at Westchester sq.

Route: Crosby, Logan, Barkley, Tremont, Randall, Balcom, Miles, Emerson, Harding

That would make the bx8 longer & unreliable than it already is... keep that route on that side of the throgs neck expwy...

If anything, I think the Bx8 should be truncated @ edgewater park... laying-over alongside the service rd (which I seen some buses do)....

Undercliff is one way, southbound though....

could you explain/elaborate on the routing for both directions of this idea, and where buses would layover.

I agree with getting rid of the 14.

That said, Country club residents barely use the 14 as it is... why give them the 29? (or any other route)

this *sounds* like a good idea... but this would result in a significant loss of ridership

If service existed along 187th then, I wonder why was it taken away....

anyway, don't know how good or bad such an idea is... so, someone else can comment...

All those routes that serve co-op (outside of the qbx1) I think should be left alone....

There's enough routes as it is that serve Fordham...

My question to you is... how often would such a route run?

although I don't know what effect moving buses clear across 180th would yield... only thing I would add to this idea is, have it terminate in parkchester right where the BxM6 does, along met. oval there....

Yeah, just have one route (idc what route number you decide to keep) along E. Tremont... instead of having bx8's serve the projects, have the 40 (in this case) serve the projects, en route to {Harding/Emerson or Suny Maritime}..... retain artics on this route as well....

You probably meant weekends... guess I can agree w/ this....

What is with this fixation w/ dividing service in co-op all of a sudden?

If you're gonna split the qbx1, split it equally @ PBP... the route that would encircle all of co-op (via 5-4-3-2-1) would get double the service of that of the route that would travel from PBP to Flushing....

This way, the "bx23" (in this case) would be THE route, from ANY section in co-op, to get to the (6)... and vice versa...

replies in bold....

I'm only gonna comment on the ones I haven't seen from you before...

replies in bold....

I didn't have the Bx36 terminate at Parkchester because many use this route to head to Bruckner Plaza and Adlai Stevenson HS. Many Stevenson students come from the Bx36.

I didn't have the Bx36 terminate at Parkchester because many use this route to head to Bruckner Plaza and Adlai Stevenson HS. Many Stevenson students come from the Bx36.

This to me, is misleading...

makes it sound like you wanna cut the route back to Parkchester (6)....

thanks for ignoring the other questions I had, though.....

Bx1- Overnight service starting every 55min. Bx3- Starts using half of it's route artics during rush hours. Bx8- No service for last few buses. Avarage amount of passengers is 0 on 1 bus as it crosses Allerton Ave. Bx11- Extra eastbound buses during rush hours starting at Jerome ave Bx12+select+- Service ends at 12AM Bx13- Extended to 149st Concourse (2)(4)(5) station via Gateway Center Bx18- Extended to Crotona Park, via Bx11 route during weekdays only. Bx20- Sunday service every 30 min. Bx25- Rush hour limited Bx35- 25% of buses will be artics during Rush hours. Better service service making buses every 5 min. during morning rush, 7 min. during evening rush. Bx36/Bx36 LTD- More artics in service

Bx1 might as well run it every hour what difference is 5 mins going to make

Bx8 what do you mean no service for the last few buses? that quite literally sounds like WF buses would follow the 8 route and not pick anyone up :) i feel like no one attempts to use the 8 because the service is so erratic (like 3 buses in a row only going as far as the Square at 6pm weekdays)

Bx11/18 if you have Bx18s going to Crotona with some beefed up headways you wouldnt need more 11s

Bx20 no need for it

Bx25 Allerton doesn't need Artics or LTD service. The Bx26 is a quick ride and when the bus gets packed theres another 1 coming

As for all the 181 st routes and Artics, you can barely turn all the 40 footers at the GWB efficiently not to mention the chaos that ensues when 1 tries to bypass another. I dont feel like the Artics are needed on the 35 but the Bx3 and Bx36 could use more. They should seriously consider banning parking on 181 between 7am-8pm Mon-Sat because many people double park and it takes a good 20-30 mins to hit the bridge with traffic.

As for cotb16

Theres all of what 3 AM/3 PM Bx13 trippers it can't be helping out that much and something needs to be serving that mall. They could jsut as easily add Bx6 short turns and/or LTD

The cause for the 181 traffic is people double parking, parking in the bus stops, not knowing to leave intersections clear and a whole bunch of other non-bus related things

With the Bx11/18 Macombs Road would lose all service and Undercliff would have too much service. Not to mention theres the whole no laying over at Undercliff/Sedgwick (even though I swear I've seen Bx18s parked there.)

People west of the expressway just change at the Square if they want Pelham Parkway or Morris Park. You'd be robbing one side of TN to give the other bus connections.

Im iffy on that new Bx9 terminal, how would it loop around? otherwise not bad

Like I said you try and put any more buses turning at Fordham Plaza and all hell will break loose. I like the 27 going as far as West Farms but one major problem I see is that the headways would have to be revamped so that people on 174 wouldnt feel jacked off the 36

With some of your replies in mind, here are some of my responses.

First, for the Bx13, since I live in Morrisania, the Bx6 is constantly packed from Southern Blvd to Yankee Stadium, not just in rush hours, but also Middays and weekends. The Bx13's school trippers from 3rd Avenue have been a godsend for many of us here in Morrisania. This is why I want the Bx13 to help out the Bx6 by having it go to Hunts Point.

Next, with the Bx11 replacing the Bx18. I've always heard from many living in the Heights that the buses are causing too much traffic. So I decided to cut one of the five routes. I suggested the Bx11 because it would provide a direct route from Morris Heights to Highbridge (where many transfer from the Bx3 to the Bx13 or Bx35) and give Undercliff-Sedgwick riders as well as those from the Towers some much needed relief to the always delayed Bx40/42. As for its depot, I would split it between Kingsbridge and West Farms.

With the Bx29 heading to Locust Point and Country Club, I had that route sent there since not too many riders use the buses in those areas. In addition, the Bx8 is sent to a more popular part of Throggs Neck where riders would have direct access to Morris Park and Pelham Parkway.

As for the Bx9 to East 180th St, they only lose one direct bus transfer, the Bx40/42 to Throggs Neck/Parkchester. That transfer would only require a block walk. They transfer to the Bx36 at Crotona Parkway and to the Q44 at Boston Road.

The Bx27 going to Fordham would be a really big help. It fills a crosstown gap between East 180th St and Fordham Road. Plus, it provides an alternative to the often-delayed Bx9 bus for travel between West Farms and Fordham. Plus, Soundview/174th St riders are able to transfer to buses heading to the Northern and Eastern sections of the Bronx and Upper Manhattan.

a lot of you Ideas causes problems. your taking routes away from route to create another isssue and ill say it again. that Bx11 pipe dream you have will never work!

Bx8 what do you mean no service for the last few buses? that quite literally sounds like WF buses would follow the 8 route and not pick anyone up B) i feel like no one attempts to use the 8 because the service is so erratic (like 3 buses in a row only going as far as the Square at 6pm weekdays)

Bx11/18 if you have Bx18s going to Crotona with some beefed up headways you wouldnt need more 11s

Bx20 no need for it

Bx25 Allerton doesn't need Artics or LTD service. The Bx26 is a quick ride and when the bus gets packed theres another 1 coming

As for all the 181 st routes and Artics, you can barely turn all the 40 footers at the GWB efficiently not to mention the chaos that ensues when 1 tries to bypass another. I dont feel like the Artics are needed on the 35 but the Bx3 and Bx36 could use more. They should seriously consider banning parking on 181 between 7am-8pm Mon-Sat because many people double park and it takes a good 20-30 mins to hit the bridge with traffic.

I see your point. When I meant cancel the last few buses on the Bx8, I meant stop service from 9-9:30PM;)Cancel Bx25 is another plan. The only difference is the loop & I'm sure it wont hurt anyone to do a 5 min. loop or to walk

Wow no replies to this?

Here are my Bronx ideas for 2010:

A new Bx37 serves Baychester Av from Wakefield to Pelham Bay Park. For the first time ever, Baychester Av on the (5) will have a direct bus connection

A new Bx38 travels from Eastchester to Inwood via Boston Rd/Pelham Pkwy. IMO Bee-line ain't for me

more to come

This to me, is misleading...

makes it sound like you wanna cut the route back to Parkchester (6)....

thanks for ignoring the other questions I had, though.....

My bad about that. The computer's just acting up.

For the Bx1, I just had it run to 246th St so the Bx7 can run along Kappock St. I know how those riders would complain about the loss of direct access to the (A) line.

I have the Bx4 run all the way to Pelham Bay in order to provide ADA customers additional transfers, such as the Bx12 and QBx1 for areas such as Coop City and Throggs Neck.

I gave Country Club and Locust Point the Bx29 for the reason you mentioned, hardly anyone uses the Bx8 and Bx14 east of the Throggs Neck Expressway.

The Bx29 would run every 12-15 minutes during the rush hours and every half-hour during off-peak hours.

For the Bx15, I have it cut back to Lex/125th in order to reduce delays on that route. During the AM Rush, northbound buses run every 15 minutes from 7-8am in the Bronx. With the Bx15 cut back, its frequency would increase in the Bronx and would relieve some congestion on the Bx55.

The reason why I extended the Bx26 west is due to the Bx10 serving areas north of the reservoir. The Bx26 would serve areas south of the reservoir, such as VA Hospital and the 225th St mall. In addition, it provides a transfer to the Bx3 for University Avenue and Washington heights.

The Bx36 would still terminate near Bruckner Plaza. It would have a different routing between West Farms and Parkchester in order to give Parkchester riders access to the <5> express, the same reason why I have the Bx9 terminate at East 180th St.

By the way, the Bx9 would make a right on Morris Park Av, right on Lebanon St, right on Devoe, left on E 180th St.

The Bx41 LTD is expanded to middays, evenings, and possibly Saturdays.

The dividing of Coop City routes is to speed up the trip for residents from the five sections to subway stations.

Bx8 what do you mean no service for the last few buses? that quite literally sounds like WF buses would follow the 8 route and not pick anyone up B) i feel like no one attempts to use the 8 because the service is so erratic (like 3 buses in a row only going as far as the Square at 6pm weekdays)

Bx20 no need for it

As for cotb16

Theres all of what 3 AM/3 PM Bx13 trippers it can't be helping out that much and something needs to be serving that mall. They could jsut as easily add Bx6 short turns and/or LTD

The cause for the 181 traffic is people double parking, parking in the bus stops, not knowing to leave intersections clear and a whole bunch of other non-bus related things

With the Bx11/18 Macombs Road would lose all service and Undercliff would have too much service. Not to mention theres the whole no laying over at Undercliff/Sedgwick (even though I swear I've seen Bx18s parked there.)

People west of the expressway just change at the Square if they want Pelham Parkway or Morris Park. You'd be robbing one side of TN to give the other bus connections.

Im iffy on that new Bx9 terminal, how would it loop around? otherwise not bad

Like I said you try and put any more buses turning at Fordham Plaza and all hell will break loose. I like the 27 going as far as West Farms but one major problem I see is that the headways would have to be revamped so that people on 174 wouldnt feel jacked off the 36

The Bx27 going to Fordham is to provide 174th St and Rosedale Av riders transfers to northern bus routes, such as the Bx12 at Fordham Rd and the Bee-Lines to Westchester County.

The Bx13's school trippers have helped a lot whenever the Bx6 bunches severely, especially westbound in the AM rush. Also, another factor, Highbridge does not have a junior high school. Many students use the Bx13 to 3rd Av to transfer to the Bx55 to the junior high on 169th/3rd Av.

With 181st Street, the double-parking shows that many people shopping there prefer using their cars. Plus, if parking is banned, all hell would break loose, similar to how Fordham Rd did when the Bx12 SBS first came up.

The Bx27 going to Fordham is to provide 174th St and Rosedale Av riders transfers to northern bus routes, such as the Bx12 at Fordham Rd and the Bee-Lines to Westchester County.

The Bx13's school trippers have helped a lot whenever the Bx6 bunches severely, especially westbound in the AM rush. Also, another factor, Highbridge does not have a junior high school. Many students use the Bx13 to 3rd Av to transfer to the Bx55 to the junior high on 169th/3rd Av.

With 181st Street, the double-parking shows that many people shopping there prefer using their cars. Plus, if parking is banned, all hell would break loose, similar to how Fordham Rd did when the Bx12 SBS first came up.

Dumb question Cotb? Does the BX27 proposed extension also serve the West Farms Pathmark shopping center as well?

Dumb question Cotb? Does the BX27 proposed extension also serve the West Farms Pathmark shopping center as well?

Yes sir. The Bx27 heading to Fordham via 174th-182nd is to allow Soundview and West Farms riders access to this Pathmark.

Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improved Bronx express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas.

Local/Limited services.

BX(1)-Would create overnight service with 1-hour headways between 1-5am.

BX(3)-Extend to Yonkers-Getty Sq. or if not possible run it to 262nd St-Van Corlandt Park station for direct transfer to the Bee Line Buses ie W-1 W-2 W-3. Replaces the BX9 along Broadway between 242 and 262nd St. Also new Hourly BX3 overnight service.

BX(4) runs via Westchester Ave between The Hub(149th St/3rd Ave.) and Pelham Bay Park. "Short trip BX4's" start/end at Westchester Sq. (6) train station weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm.

BX(5)also gets hourly overnight service.

BX(6)Westbound Terminal extended to 168th St/Columbia-Presbyterian Hosptial. Also BX6 should use artics as well.

BX(7)extended to Getty Sq.-Yonkers. If politics makes it impossible then why not run it at least to the Ludlow St Metro North Hudson line station. Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

BX8-Northbound terminal extended to East 233 Street-WHite Plains Road station via WP Road to access Our Lady of Mercy Hosptial and transfer to Bee Line W-42 for service to Mt.Vernon/New Rochelle.

BX(9)-Restuctured-Operates only between 242nd Street-Van Corlandt Park and 177th-Parkchester (6) subway station. Very few BX9 riders use this line the entire route between West Farms and 262nd St/City Line. This route is always late. BX3 replaces the BX(9)along Broadway between NYC line and the (1)subway station. I know this is controversial but on few times i railfanned the BX9 i only seen at most 1-2 riders per trip ride from 262 nd St-West Farms.

BX10-Extended westbound terminal to either Yonkers-Getty Sq.(Metro North)w/ political approval or Ludlow St-Metro North station-Reason: The dangerous u-turn at Riverdale Ave/263 St. Corner at the NYC/Westchester border. The BX 7 and BX 10 before the recession was proposed by Lee Sandler master plan to be extended to Ludlow Station anyhow.

BX11-Extended via Southern Blvd and East 174th Street to Parkchester-177th St. (6) subway station. Replaces the BX36 which travels along Tremont between WP Road and Boston Rd.

BX12-(Local)Expand Overnight service to 20 minute headways service 7 days a week.

BX13-Extend the eastbound terminal to help out the BX(6) to 163rd Street-Hunts Point (6)subway station. Also the (MTA) needs to promote this BX13 more for riders going to Yankee games as alrenative to (A)(D) subway transfer using the GW Bridge Bus station on Coach USA/Rockland Coaches or NJ Transit.

BX14-Reduced to operating as a shuttle only between Country Club and Pelham Bay (6)subway terminal. BX4 operates entire length of Westchester Ave.

BX15-Renamed the BX56 to avoid confusion with Manhattan's M-15. Route remains the same.

BX19-1) Extend the route via Fordham and terminate at Fordham Plaza-3rd Avenue. 2)Create all day weekday appx. 6am-9pm limited stop service between 149th-3rd Ave and 180th St-Southern Blvd. "Local' BX19 runs only between 149-3rd Ave and Fordham-Southern when BX19 Limited operates..

BX20-southbound terminal extended to Dyckman St.-10th Avenue to serve Dyckman public houses. Also create new Sunday service with 20-minute headways between 8am-8pm.

BX21-Extend southbound terminal to 125th St-Lexington station (4)(5)(6) lines. Provides an 24/7 alternative bus service for all of the South and Southeast Bronx communities for (5)(6) subway riders between Westchester Sq. AND 125TH ST. in East Harlem during 'g/o's and sudden shutdowns. "Short trip' Bx21's weekdays start/end at existing terminal at the 149th St-Hub.

BX22-Run the overnight route between Fordham Center(Valentine/Fordham) and Zerega Ave.

BX25-Extend the rou:confused:te and it westbound terminal to 231st Street-Riverdale Avenue via Goulden, Kingsbridge, Bway, and 230rd Street.

BX26-Extend the service hours Monday-Saturdays w/ last bus leaving Paul Ave at 1230am.

BX27-westbound terminal extended 24/7 to West Farms-Tremont (2)(5) station to serve Pathmark-West Farms shopping center on 174th via Morrison and 174th Street. Replaces the Bx36 service along 174th Street. Service to/from Simpson St/Southern Blvd (2)(5) station use the BX4 or (6) subway.

BX28-1)Eastbound terminal extended to Pelham Bay station. 2)Create rush-hour limited stop service along Gun Hill between Bainbridge and Bartow-Baychester.

BX30-Eastbound terminal at Bay Plaza via Bartow, Coop-City, Peartree, Conner and then existing route to Norwood-205th Street (D) station. Use the Bx25/26, 28 and new Bx37/38 for service withing COOP City.

BX34-Extend Northbound terminal to Mount Vernon East MNRR station via Mclean/Nereid Aves., West 5th Street and 5th Ave. ends at Prospect/Park Avs. Late nights BX34 ends at existing terminal at Katonah.

BX36-No longer serves 174th Street between Boston Rd and White Plains Rd. Uses Tremont Ave along this area. 174th Street service replaced by Bx27. The BX36 is always late due to fact it has IMO too many turns.* BX 11 and BX27 under my plan replaces the BX36 for 174th Street service.

BX37-New Route replaces the QBX1-Operates rush hours only between Pelham Bay and western part of Coop sections 1-3(Dresiser loop) Use the BX38 all other times.

BX38-Replaces the QBX1 Coop City section between Bay Plaza and COOP City Blvd. Operates between Dyre Ave (5)station and Pelham Bay at all times. Serves all of COOP City except rush hours. Rush Hours only serves Coop sections 3-6.

This extension to Dyre station also provides another subway connection for COOP City/NE Bronx riders and also helps relieve overcrowding at the Busy Pelham Bay (6) station.

BX40-Create rush hour limited stop service along Tremont between Jermoe Ave and Westchester Sq.(Tremont/Westchester Ave (6) station)

BX50-Renamed QBX1 and shortned to operate only between Bay Plaza and Main-Roosvelt transfer (7) subway station. BX37/38 replaces QBX1 COOP City service. In addition the BX50 loops in/out of College Point Shopping Center via 20th Avenue.

BX55-Restore 7-day service between Gun Hill Road and 149th-3rd Ave w/ 15-20 minute headways(alternative buses)7 days a week. Monday-Saturdays 12-1am & Sundays appx. 9pm-1am BX55 make all stops along 3rd Avenue. Since the (MTA) reduced Gun Hill BX55 service to weekdays only, almost 10 years ago, the BX41 has gotten overcrowded.

BX56-Renamed BX15 service. 30-minute headways between 125th St-Lexington (4)(6) station and Fordham Plaza via 3rd Avenue. Hourly (every other bus) service between 12nd Ave-125th Street and Lexington.

Bronx/Yonkers Express (MTA) Bus service to come. Feel free to comment/reactions?:cool:

I would like to see these ideas in effect to see if they will improve service in any way. Things are the way they are because it's working out quite well at least for the Bronx. My only idea would be to shorten Q44 to where it terminates at the Parkchester oval because the run to West Farms from Jamacia is just too long and slow.:cool:

After re-reading these proposals, I found a huge problem. Splitting up the QBx1 is the reason why people are confused now. Splitting it further will only make it worse. It's not sushi, it's a bus route.

Therefore, I propose the elimination of rush-hour splits. Keep it simple:

QBx1 to Flushing, via 5-4-3-2-1, with a stop at Pelham Bay before it goes to Queens.

QBx1 from Flushing, via 1-2-3-4-5, with a stop at Pelham Bay before it continues on to Co-Op City. It will then terminate/deadhead from Pelham Bay after leaving Co-Op City.

In addition, it should be somewhat limited in Co-Op City, making stops only at certain major intersections. Read: No bloody Dreiser Loop tour.

After re-reading these proposals, I found a huge problem. Splitting up the QBx1 is the reason why people are confused now. Splitting it further will only make it worse. It's not sushi, it's a bus route.

Therefore, I propose the elimination of rush-hour splits. Keep it simple:

QBx1 to Flushing, via 5-4-3-2-1, with a stop at Pelham Bay before it goes to Queens.

QBx1 from Flushing, via 1-2-3-4-5, with a stop at Pelham Bay before it continues on to Co-Op City. It will then terminate/deadhead from Pelham Bay after leaving Co-Op City.

In addition, it should be somewhat limited in Co-Op City, making stops only at certain major intersections. Read: No bloody Dreiser Loop tour.

People are confused due to the service patterns (plural) of the Qbx1 being confusing.... Splitting it would ease that confusion...

* people will know that there's a bus going from PBP to all parts of Co-op city (meaning, it has a terminal in co-op city, and a terminal @ PBP)...

* and people will know that there's a bus going from PBP to Flushing (again, meaning it has a terminal @ PBP, and a terminal in Flushing)....

with the current QBX1, you have buses leaving PBP:

- en route to encircling co-op starting @ section 1, and then coming back to PBP to terminate

- en route to encircling co-op starting @ section 5, and then coming back to PBP to terminate

^^ (some buses begin @ section 3, go on to serving sections 2 & 1, only to terminate @ PBP)

- and lets not forget those that go on to encircling co-op... to come BACK to PBP... to venture to Flushing...

..and there's like a million & one service patterns on that route I didn't mention.... is there a bus that simply begins at PBP, and heads out to flushing?

^^ I'm sorry, but all that is confusing... and it only exacerbates the confusion when some QBX1 drivers don't bother changing the destination signs (that's exactly why I asked a b/o today... I'll explain briefly)

I was out @ PBP today... I saw two QBX1's... I asked one of the drivers "excuse me driver, are you going to flushing" (he has the flushing destination sign on), he says no, this bus is going to co-op city.... I *smh*, and walk over to the next bus... there was 1 person on that bus (probably was another employee) b/c the b/o turns off the lights, and drives off OOS....

Archived