Railfan Manifesto

menelikwolves

Hi, i've recently become a railfan and decided to create a manifesto that i plan to put up at trainstations for other railfans for a university project and i was hoping to get some feedback and for people to let me know what they think and how it sounds, please help! All suggestions are welcom! So imagine, your at the end of the platform and you see a sign, it reads . . .

RAILFAN MANIFESTO

WE RAILFANS, FRN'S, ZED'S, TRAIN SPOTTERS, FERROEQUINOLOGISTS IF YOU WILL, ARE THE DEDICATED SELECT, THE PLATFORM GUARDIANS.

IT IS NOT JUST A MATTER OF COLLECTING ENGINE NUMBERS, DEPARTURE TIMES AND STATION NAMES.

THIS IS A LIFESTYLE.

WE, THE TRUE AND DEDICATED, BRAVE WIND, RAIN AND HEAT TO ADMIRE THESE GREAT IRON HORSES AND COLLECT EACH AND EVERY TRAIN JOURNEY IN THIS GREAT LAND, AND UNDER THIS BANNER WE ENDEAVOR TO COMPLETE OUR CHALLENGE.

FOR SOME LIFE IS FOOTBALL, FOR SOME IT IS MUSIC.

WE ARE JOURNEY COLLECTORS. WE ARE TRAIN SPOTTERS.

AND THIS IS WHAT WE DO.

Nice, but a little over-zealous, don't you think. Perhaps you should be more specific as to the intents and purposes on the manifesto (e.g. difficulties faced by railfans in pursuing their hobby and why others should refrain from impeding them).

Welcome to the forums by the way! Nice to have a Londoner on NYCTF.

P.S.: I love football (as in soccer) too, so perhaps its possible to have hobbies besides railfanning.

EDIT: What does ZED stand for? I reckon its usage is limited to the UK.

Hey guys thanks alot for your feedback lol, i sat and slept and ate and thought then thought a bit more and came up with some changes based on what you said, so yeah please, anyone that reads this let me know what you think. Lol im trying to present railfans in a proud light, as i've noticed alot of people already have quite strong + negative preconceptions. So yeah lol again, your on a platform, you turn to the side and see a sign, and it reads . . .

RAILFAN MANIFESTO

WE RAILFANS, TRAIN SPOTTERS, FERROEQUINOLOGISTS, IF YOU WILL, ARE THE DEDICATED SELECT, THE PLATFORM GUARDIANS.

WE, THE TRUE AND DEDICATED, BRAVE WIND, RAIN AND SUN TO ADMIRE THESE GREAT IRON HORSES AND COLLECT EACH AND EVERY TRAIN JOURNEY IN THIS GREAT LAND, AND UNDER THIS BANNER WE COMMIT TO OUR CHALLENGE.

SOME OF US DO IT FOR FUN, OTHERS DO IT TO SEE IF THEY CAN. WE ARE NOT ODD PEOPLE, BUT WHERE OTHERS WOULD GIVE UP, WE SIMPLY CARRY ON COLLECTING.

SO WHEN IF YOU SEE US, KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT STRANGE.

SOME FOLLOW A FOOTBALL TEAM, SOME FOLLOW BANDS. WE FOLLOW TRAINS.

IT IS NOT JUST A MATTER OF COLLECTING ENGINE NUMBERS, DEPARTURE TIMES AND STATION NAMES.

WE ARE JOURNEY COLLECTORS.

WE ARE TRAIN SPOTTERS.

RAILFAN MANIFESTO

WE RAILFANS, TRAIN SPOTTERS, FERROEQUINOLOGISTS, IF YOU WILL, ARE THE DEDICATED SELECT, THE PLATFORM GUARDIANS.

WE, THE TRUE AND DEDICATED, BRAVE WIND, SNOW, RAIN AND SUN TO ADMIRE THESE GREAT IRON HORSES AND COLLECT EACH AND EVERY TRAIN JOURNEY IN THIS GREAT LAND, AND UNDER THIS BANNER WE COMMIT TO OUR CHALLENGE.

SOME OF US DO IT FOR FUN, OTHERS DO IT TO SEE IF THEY CAN. WE ARE NOT ODD PEOPLE, BUT WHERE OTHERS WOULD GIVE UP, WE SIMPLY CARRY ON COLLECTING.

SO WHEN IF YOU SEE US, KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT STRANGE. WE ARE NOT TERRORISTS.

SOME FOLLOW A FOOTBALL TEAM, SOME FOLLOW BANDS. WE FOLLOW TRAINS.

IT IS NOT JUST A MATTER OF COLLECTING ENGINE NUMBERS, DEPARTURE TIMES, EQUIPMENT TYPE, AND STATION NAMES.

WE ARE JOURNEY COLLECTORS.

WE ARE TRAIN SPOTTERS.

My edit. It gets really cold here in winter & it can be a challenge just to stand out on the platform in levittown, trenton, or newark some days. Then there's the heavy snow i sometimes have to shoot through which throws the focus off, and also i look for a lot of things, even brake & wheel wear and lights, pantograph condition, even if a diesel seems to be having a rough sooty day, anything out of the ordinary, anything different or new etc etc. :cool:

- A

Archived