MTA nixes express bus for outer borough students who commute to school in Manhattan

Harry

The same right you have to feel as irate as you are.... Your opinion isn't anymore important than anyone else's...

Get off that high horse, pal.....

--------------------------

* Who thinks the x32 should STAY? That's what I'd like to know....

And since there are more specialized high schools here in NYC, should express bus service be provided to those schools, as well?

You want your child to attend a specialized H.S.... can't afford a car, don't have someone to drop the student to/from school, don't want your kid taking subways & (local) buses, go ahead & let them take an express bus.... but don't sit there & whimper when it's asked for said student to board an express bus, to (now) pay the full fare... You want top notch education for your child, be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it; whether that's in the form of tuition, and/or any extra (transportation) fares......

It's either all or nothing, there's no in-between... either get rid of the x32, or have special express runs serve the rest of these specialized high schools.... This is why you have people saying Bx. Science kids are spoiled....

Why don't you buy me another house then if your supporting the fact that the city should eliminate Student Metrocards? You are obviously ignorant of where some people live. I agree that there are two train stations closely spaced together near that school and there's no need for that express bus, but I support the student cards 100%. Either you lived closed to your school your whole life, or you didn't go to school at all.

@LRG, bike? We don't have the luxury that you do living 10 - blocks from your school.

I have to disagree with Brian here saying that Student MetroCards should be eliminated. But as we get older, students should realize that they aren't going to be getting free transportation to work. If anything, all high-schoolers should have half-fare MetroCards. If they want a full-fare MetroCard, they can steal it from an eighth grader! (Just kidding! Lol) But really, high schoolers should get adapted to the fact that they won't be provided with free transportation anymore when they graduate. I honestly wouldn't mind shelving out a $2.20 a day. Besides, I'm lucky that I have college classes three days a week. If I had to go to school every day, it would be sensible for me to buy a weekly, bi-weekly, or even a monthly MetroCard. The MTA should initiate some sort of MetroCard program that allows them to refill their student MetroCards for as long as they need to, but should keep the fare at half price, have the card lock itself after three trips a day, and have it lock itself on weekends. They can refill it for as long as they need to, and it would encourage irresponsible students to not lose their cards!

As for the X32 bus, it's useless. When school re-opens, I want to take a ride on it to see what's so special about it. But if it were up to me, I'd axe it. It was on the chopping block anyway. What would make the bus more useful is if it provided extra service than just three trips during the peak, with each of the buses going to different parts of Queens, and if it made extra stops along the way.

Let's settle this: Kill the X32. I've been happy with that since I became a freshman.

But by the way B35, there is a major difference between Stuy and Sci. That is the distance relative to the students' homes. Stuy is much more centrally located than Sci. Simple New Yorker geography will tell you that. There are many people living in Queens, but there are equal numbers in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Tech is rather centrally located, too. But even then too, I feel that there is no need for the X32 in general.

Go around our school one day around 7:45. The first sight you see is an ARMADA of cheese buses. The cheese bus company provides good service and many more take the

But also take into account this, previously the X32 was really redundant as there were already 2 private bus operators. However due to an incident somewhere in February, all of the buses fom another company were destroyed. The Vallo bus has been doing yeoman duty, displaced riders were forced to take the subway, even the X32 picked up a few more riders since then. The Gagnon Bus operator must somehow get back into shape or have Vallo run more buses in order to fully remove the X32 line.

And about Student cards, I agree with lrg on the half price card thing. What's so special that we all have to get free passes? Some of us use cards on the holidays. If the senior citizens pay up, we should pay up too. Not saying full fare, because that is outrageous.

Here's this, have the secondary/high school students pay around 75% of the base fare. Primary school kids could go for free. Other cities around the world have been doing it too. Heck, San Francisco does it too. And look, I believe these cards should be used anytime of the day, anytime of the week from the start of the school year to the end of the school year, with a photo ID of the student and the school. Vancouver does it like that. Senior citizens here get something similar. That prevents fraudulence and money from being wasted.

And about Student cards, I agree with lrg on the half price card thing. What's so special that we all have to get free passes? Some of us use cards on the holidays. If the senior citizens pay up, we should pay up too. Not saying full fare, because that is outrageous.

Here's this, have the secondary/high school students pay around 75% of the base fare. Primary school kids could go for free. Other cities around the world have been doing it too. Heck, San Francisco does it too. And look, I believe these cards should be used anytime of the day, anytime of the week from the start of the school year to the end of the school year, with a photo ID of the student and the school. Vancouver does it like that. Senior citizens here get something similar. That prevents fraudulence and money from being wasted.

I would agree that maybe on Saturdays, the cards shouldn't be locked, because I had a few Saturday prep classes for regents towards the end of the year. But I think it would be a bad idea for the cards to be unlocked all day because students would run amuck and gallivant off at times of the night when they really should be in bed. On weekdays, I'd say that the cars should be unlocked at the times that they are right now. As for Saturdays, the cards should be unlocked starting at 5:30, but should lock at 5:30 p.m. Anyone hardly uses school on Saturdays, and I don't even think that those who do use the school's facilities use it past noon or 1:00, the latest.

BTW MTR, sorry about going apeshit over Bronx Science. But I still don't like the idea that they have a bus service that tends to their needs and not to other passengers. Either extra stops are added, bus service starts early, like at 5:30 or 6, the same time the student MetroCards kick in, and ends at 8. Bus service should start again at 3 or 3:30, but begin later in the route, with the Bronx Science service starting at it's regular time. For the students who have extra curricular-activities, the service could end at 6 or so. Just my say.

I would agree that maybe on Saturdays, the cards shouldn't be locked, because I had a few Saturday prep classes for regents towards the end of the year. But I think it would be a bad idea for the cards to be unlocked all day because students would run amuck and gallivant off at times of the night when they really should be in bed. On weekdays, I'd say that the cars should be unlocked at the times that they are right now. As for Saturdays, the cards should be unlocked starting at 5:30, but should lock at 5:30 p.m. Anyone hardly uses school on Saturdays, and I don't even think that those who do use the school's facilities use it past noon or 1:00, the latest.

True. They should lock at 6, if there is a programme afterschool or an extracurricular that goes beyond the lock time, the programme director should have special cards arranged for that purpose and is only good for one trip.

BTW MTR, sorry about going apeshit over Bronx Science. But I still don't like the idea that they have a bus service that tends to their needs and not to other passengers. Either extra stops are added, bus service starts early, like at 5:30 or 6, the same time the student MetroCards kick in, and ends at 8. Bus service should start again at 3 or 3:30, but begin later in the route, with the Bronx Science service starting at it's regular time. For the students who have extra curricular-activities, the service could end at 6 or so. Just my say.

Apology accepted, I don't like the concept either. I'm always for proposals that favour the people as a whole. There really isn't any incentive as to running a bus from Queens to The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, the Bronx. Perhaps, the MTA should try interborough express services, not including Manhattan. Like say, from Queens to Riverdale with a stop at Bedford Park Boulevard that would allow a transfer to the Bee Line bus, a stop near Lehman College and a little walking distance to Bronx Science. I think this will help much more than having a bus line that shuttles from our school to Queens. Only 3 routes and 1 trip in and out, it's just bad business. Humanitarian? Probably. But I don't think the MTA people are always good Samaritans.

Let's settle this: Kill the X32. I've been happy with that since I became a freshman.

But by the way B35, there is a major difference between Stuy and Sci. That is the distance relative to the students' homes. Stuy is much more centrally located than Sci. Simple New Yorker geography will tell you that. There are many people living in Queens, but there are equal numbers in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Tech is rather centrally located, too. But even then too, I feel that there is no need for the X32 in general.

Go around our school one day around 7:45. The first sight you see is an ARMADA of cheese buses. The cheese bus company provides good service and many more take the

But also take into account this, previously the X32 was really redundant as there were already 2 private bus operators. However due to an incident somewhere in February, all of the buses fom another company were destroyed. The Vallo bus has been doing yeoman duty, displaced riders were forced to take the subway, even the X32 picked up a few more riders since then. The Gagnon Bus operator must somehow get back into shape or have Vallo run more buses in order to fully remove the X32 line.

First off, let me take this chance to state my stance on the X32.... It should get the axe... Gone... Finito!

That's why I asked if anyone thinks it should stay; as I don't know of anyone that does....

Brooklyn tech is the easiest to get to, even if you're coming from Queens... the G takes you right there....

I wouldn't say that Stuyvesant is centralized (getting in Battery Park city is a hassle in itself - ask anyone that doesn't take a limo service to WFC... lol)...

Sure, there's chambers st on the 1/2/3 (or the A/C), however, none of those lines run in (the mainland of) Queens... doubt there's any Stuyvesant student coming from the Rockaways......

Anyway, the commute is equally as hellish if you're coming from the more eastern part of Queens (i.e. areas where the currently x32 serve) to get to Stuyvesant.... Even if you take the (downtown version of the) QM1/a, you still have a 10 min. walk on your hands afterwards... the downtown loop during the AM rush is nightmarish... traffic on manhattan streets are much worse than traffic on bronx streets....

^^ That said... plz don't take that as me saying it's much easier to get to Bx. Science from eastern Queens... I'm not implying that at all....

The rest of your argument I'll just have to take your word for it, regarding the Vallo & the Gagnon buses....

This is one of the best things to happen in a while.

No it isn't. Besides, that school doesn't mean anything anymore.

I don't know where the hell you are making your assumption from when you say that Bronx Science doesn't mean anything anymore. Do you even go to the damn school? If you don't then you have no damn right to say SHIT about the school.

You're probably

(1) just ******* reciprocating your emotions becuase you were perhaps one of the rejects from Bronx Science

(2) from Stuyvesant or

(3) shit.

Bronx Science kids are actually one of the more academically motivated group of students in the damn city. To imagine that a majority of seniors in that school take AP courses as opposed to selecting an easy schedule with tons of free periods, and take on extra curriculars (i.e. sports, teams, clubs, etc). So for you to come out of no where and say that BxSci doesnt' mean anything anymore just tells me that you are a narrow minded individual who doesn't know anything and only base your facts off of the reflection of your face in the toilet bowl as you are scrubbing your shit from the rims.

First off, let me take this chance to state my stance on the X32.... It should get the axe... Gone... Finito!

That's why I asked if anyone thinks it should stay; as I don't know of anyone that does....

Brooklyn tech is the easiest to get to, even if you're coming from Queens... the G takes you right there....

I wouldn't say that Stuyvesant is centralized (getting in Battery Park city is a hassle in itself - ask anyone that doesn't take a limo service to WFC... lol)...

Sure, there's chambers st on the 1/2/3 (or the A/C), however, none of those lines run in (the mainland of) Queens... doubt there's any Stuyvesant student coming from the Rockaways......

Anyway, the commute is equally as hellish if you're coming from the more eastern part of Queens (i.e. areas where the currently x32 serve) to get to Stuyvesant.... Even if you take the (downtown version of the) QM1/a, you still have a 10 min. walk on your hands afterwards... the downtown loop during the AM rush is nightmarish... traffic on manhattan streets are much worse than traffic on bronx streets....

^^ That said... plz don't take that as me saying it's much easier to get to Bx. Science from eastern Queens... I'm not implying that at all....

The rest of your argument I'll just have to take your word for it, regarding the Vallo & the Gagnon buses....

The Stuy friends that I know of that hail from Queens use the E. True that their commutes are just as hellish as ours, but again, if you are going to send a few buses over to the Stuy area, how are you going to accommodate them? True, the Battery Park area has some good space for parking. But then you have those BPC residents whining about how much noise those buses make, or much pollution is in the air. Traffic there is already hell with all of that construction work going on. Lane shifts on the 9A. You have jams southound on 9A (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel). The area around Ground Zero is filled with construction. Downtown roadside work. Battery Park City housing developments. It's not a good time to have express buses coming down to this area.

I'm not sure about the very location of each home each Stuy student is in. Nor am I familiar about the population-location trend there. But I believe there is a more of an equal distribution across the boroughs rather than Bronx Science. As I said, most of the people from my school hail from Eastern Queens and a demand has to be addressed.

Moreover, the alignment of the X32 (and Vallo) is much more similar than the one a hypothetical Stuy bus would take. I am not exactly sure of the alignments they use, but I am certain that the buses use routes that won't come into conflict with much traffic. Stuy buses, on the other hand, will travel on the LIE, and has two options:

1. Switch onto the BQE, which another 2 options are viable:

A. Turn off on Williamsburg Br exit, continue down Delancy, a left on Bowery, down Bowery, a right onto Worth Street, a left on Broadway, a right on Chambers and straight to Stuyvesant

B. Turn off on Manhattan Br exit, continue on Canal Street, left on Bowery, down Bowery, a right onto Worth Street, a left on Broadway, a right on Chambers and straight to Stuyvesant

2. Continue as the QMT and there are another two options:

A. Turn onto the FDR, continue down FDR, pass the Battery Park Underpass (becoming 9A), a left onto Chambers.

B. Turn onto a side street in Midtown, continue to the West Side Highway, make a left, exit at Chambers Street.

Even if it goes on the GCP, it will wind up on the BQE.

Each of these options will encounter a lot of traffic. I don't think it's fun to even try the LIE during AM rush or PM rush in the peak direction. Manhattan Bridge and Canal Street is not a fun place at any time of the day. There is always a little back-up on Delancey Street as people are trying to make a left onto Allen southbound. Travelling along the West Side Highway in the downtwon section isn't pretty with all that construction that is occurring. Meanwhile crosstown traffic might be slow and will run into north-sound avenues with some traffic. The FDR could get nasty and you would still have to go through 9A.

Travelling between Queens and BS isn't as bad as travelling from Eastern Queens into Lower Manhattan (Stuy), which justifies why our school gets the X32. True Stuy deserves a bus service too, but look at all those road conditions.

Oh by the way, 33rd Street, you forgot the bridge. It's there for them. It's their choice whether or not to use it. They don't need to cross an at-grade highway. And we were trying to pull this thread out from being off topic. Quit shitting on this thread.

I believe that after the construction is over, the MTA should try to examine an express bus service from Eastern Queens to Stuy. However, I do not think that is necessary as there are already services from Eastern Queens to Lower Manhattan. These buses stop at City Hall, around J and R. It's a 10-15 minute walk.

Archived