Any updates on Track Worker Exam 5016?

Tricknologist

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, thats good to hear.

Also, i figured there would be some form of school/training, but are you paid during that? Would probably want to get some things set up if not.

Yeah, I think school is anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. You get paid whatever first year scale is in school. It's 3 yrs to top pay.

• 2 weeks later...

So i had to go back in last wednesday, and after going through all the hoops for the physical and stuff, they told me they filled all the spots, and sent me home. When i get home, theres a message on my machine to call them back. they said someone turned down the job, so it got bumped to me. So i think i got the last spot in a class, which starts this week.

I dont know how often they fill classes, but unless they stop hiring again, i think theyll get to you in the 850's.

So i had to go back in last wednesday, and after going through all the hoops for the physical and stuff, they told me they filled all the spots, and sent me home. When i get home, theres a message on my machine to call them back. they said someone turned down the job, so it got bumped to me. So i think i got the last spot in a class, which starts this week.

I dont know how often they fill classes, but unless they stop hiring again, i think theyll get to you in the 850's.

Someone told me years ago that Track Dept is Federally mandated to have "X" number of Trackworkers at all times. It always has to be at "X" or above, meaning they'll always have to hire Trackmen if the number dips below "X".

Someone told me years ago that Track Dept is Federally mandated to have "X" number of Trackworkers at all times. It always has to be at "X" or above, meaning they'll always have to hire Trackmen if the number dips below "X".

It's proportional to the amount of track. From I've heard, the "mandate" is around 2000 track workers or so.

• 3 weeks later...

So what happeneed? Are you in school?

Yeah, I'm in school now. We started on the 8th, finished 3 weeks of classroom stuff, we started our 3 weeks of field training today.

748 was me, and i did get the last spot in the class. Theres only 20 people in this class, i don't know what the normal size is, or when the next class will be.

But ill tell you this Marley, the 20 of us, with the exception of one person with a pretty low number who was on hold for a while, we cover a span of 100-150 or so numbers from the list. I hope that gives you a better idea of how fast the numbers actually go when they do start calling people. Again, i haven't heard anything about another class after us, but that doesn't mean there wont be one.

And i hope they hire more people soon. It sucks being the lowest seniority track worker in the system! I didn't get a job pick, i got what was left after the other 19 picked B)

The first 3 weeks are just classroom stuff. Track safety certification, fire/evac (man that was fun), flagging certification, etc, and a couple walks on the tracks to show us stuff, both in tunnels and elevated.

Second 3 weeks is field training, which we just started this week. Get assigned to a yard, and dig, dig, dig. Plenty of ballast to go through. Should be changing some ties this week, don't know about rails but thats sure to come soon.

Can't say much else right now except they're also training us on the power tools as we can get our hands on them, and weather permits.

The first 3 weeks are just classroom stuff. Track safety certification, fire/evac (man that was fun), flagging certification, etc, and a couple walks on the tracks to show us stuff, both in tunnels and elevated.

Second 3 weeks is field training, which we just started this week. Get assigned to a yard, and dig, dig, dig. Plenty of ballast to go through. Should be changing some ties this week, don't know about rails but thats sure to come soon.

Can't say much else right now except they're also training us on the power tools as we can get our hands on them, and weather permits.

What yard are you working in? I heard they wanted to put you guys in Rock Park yard but weren't sure if the facilities there were big enough for you. BTW Who are your instructors?

What yard are you working in? I heard they wanted to put you guys in Rock Park yard but weren't sure if the facilities there were big enough for you. BTW Who are your instructors?

They split us between two yards. Half the group went to Stillwell yard, the other half went to Willets Pt. I'm at Stillwell.

Sarno and Spezzano are the instructors

They split us between two yards. Half the group went to Stillwell yard, the other half went to Willets Pt. I'm at Stillwell.

Sarno and Spezzano are the instructors

Richie and Jeff, good guys. I'll be at the school this wednesday for flagging refresher...

Yeah, I'm in school now. We started on the 8th, finished 3 weeks of classroom stuff, we started our 3 weeks of field training today.

748 was me, and i did get the last spot in the class. Theres only 20 people in this class, i don't know what the normal size is, or when the next class will be.

But ill tell you this Marley, the 20 of us, with the exception of one person with a pretty low number who was on hold for a while, we cover a span of 100-150 or so numbers from the list. I hope that gives you a better idea of how fast the numbers actually go when they do start calling people. Again, i haven't heard anything about another class after us, but that doesn't mean there wont be one.

And i hope they hire more people soon. It sucks being the lowest seniority track worker in the system! I didn't get a job pick, i got what was left after the other 19 picked :)

hey thank you very much please keep us up to date with things :)

• 7 months later...

I just received my pre-employment notice for Track Worker in the mail! I'll be going to Livingston st. in a couple of weeks. Anyone know what to expect for the interview? Are you scrutinized regarding work history? Unfortunately, I have large gaps of unemployment. Also, are there physical tests involved such as lifting heavy objects and the like?

I just received my pre-employment notice for Track Worker in the mail! I'll be going to Livingston st. in a couple of weeks. Anyone know what to expect for the interview? Are you scrutinized regarding work history? Unfortunately, I have large gaps of unemployment. Also, are there physical tests involved such as lifting heavy objects and the like?

From what I have read on here, fill in those gaps in your work history. They are going to want to know how you supported yourself. Do not list off the books jobs.

I know they say to be honest which is the most important factor.

If they catch you lying about something in your 20 page

booklet they can and will fire you. It's not worth that risk.

Now being unemployed isn't a crime.

Just about all of us have had periods of unemployment in our work histories.

I think they want to go back 10 yrs on your work history.

There are other factors regarding hiring other than work

history. Drug test, medical, criminal background check.

OK, thanks Loco for responding.

I had a job "off-the books" for a year doing construction, should I not list it on my work history? What would happen if I listed that particular job? Also, what is this 20 page booklet you speak of? I received an application I needed to fill out with the pre-employment notice but it isn't 20 pages.

OK, thanks Loco for responding.

I had a job "off-the books" for a year doing construction, should I not list it on my work history? What would happen if I listed that particular job? Also, what is this 20 page booklet you speak of? I received an application I needed to fill out with the pre-employment notice but it isn't 20 pages.

I know a former track worker who is now working for DSNY who had to fill out that booklet. You will probably get that later on in the process.

To me working off the books is not a bad thing. A lot of people work off the books who are not "illegals." They

advise to put down unemployed, supported by spouse or parents. They figure that you don't file a tax return if you

worked off the books. Don't sweat it man, they have to hire

you if you even never ever worked a day in your life.

For some titles like T/O you need some work experience, but not for track worker B/O.

I'd PM G83 with these questions. He just got hired 8 months ago and probably still remembers the process. I'm not sure how the process works now, but I can tell you what I remember from getting hired 17yrs ago. The first letter I recieved said to come down for interview(or something like that). Showed up and was told to pee in a cup. That's all we did. Told us to go home and wait for the next letter. Next letter came and said to show up for medical. Went down there and noticed half the guys that pee'd the first time weren't there. The surprise pee test knocked out half the canidates. Medical tests were for : Vision(if you wear glasses bring them), Hearing, Lungs(spirometer), Blood pressure, Hernia(yep, turn your head and cough), Heart(stethoscope back then, now probably EKG). I probably forgot some stuff but thats all I can remember. If you pass all the tests they'll give you a date to show up to school. If you fail some tests they'll give you a little time to fix it EG: If your fail the eye test(this happened to me) they'll let you go to the eye doctor to try to fix the problem(glasses etc..). Then you come back and have to pass the test you failed. There were no physical lifting tests. If you have any more questions I'll try to answer them. Good luck.

Archived