Queens Bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hillside could use SBS, because the Q43 crawls along Hillside. I see people let Q1s and Q36s go by just to get on an already crowded Q43 and get off at a stop the 1 and 36 serve

Sounds like a good idea. If done properly, SBS could maybe be like a bus extension of the (F) between Jamaica-179th Street and 268th Street.

• 2 months later...

I liked this post of bus route changes for Queens 2010.

I live along Woodhaven Blvd and seen the increase of passenger use of the Q11, Q21 and Q53. Before MetroCard free transfer between trains and bus, only the Q11 ran local and the Q53 ran a nonstop route along Woodhaven Blvd/Crossbay Blvd to 116th Beach St./Rockaway beach. There were every few passengers then.

Now, all 3 bus lines are packed with people using these buses from long range trips from northern Queens to southern Queens/ eastern Brooklyn.

I suggest running a 4th bus route that ONLY stops at the subway stations along Woodhaven Blvd from Queens Blvd to Liberty Blvd and assigning a train line symbol (maybe "X" to stress the express nature to connect the "R/G/V" with the "J" and "A" lines). There would only be 3 stops and this would releive the overcrowing on the other bus lines.

What are you talking. Gun Hill Depot may have to give up their 2000 D60HF New Flyer artic again send them to Basiley Depot. and Gun Hill Depot will receive Nova Bus LFS artic all over giving up their 2000 D60HF New Fyer artic. here we go again.

So lol

There's routes in Queens, Staten Island, & Brooklyn that deserve artics more than some routes in The Bronx & Manhattan.

I liked this post of bus route changes for Queens 2010.

I live along Woodhaven Blvd and seen the increase of passenger use of the Q11, Q21 and Q53. Before MetroCard free transfer between trains and bus, only the Q11 ran local and the Q53 ran a nonstop route along Woodhaven Blvd/Crossbay Blvd to 116th Beach St./Rockaway beach. There were every few passengers then.

Now, all 3 bus lines are packed with people using these buses from long range trips from northern Queens to southern Queens/ eastern Brooklyn.

I suggest running a 4th bus route that ONLY stops at the subway stations along Woodhaven Blvd from Queens Blvd to Liberty Blvd and assigning a train line symbol (maybe "X" to stress the express nature to connect the "R/G/V" with the "J" and "A" lines). There would only be 3 stops and this would releive the overcrowing on the other bus lines.

yeh... amount of service has definitely gotten better in your neck o' the woods...

that last paragraph though.... :tdown:

Your best bet is suggesting some type of modified version/run of the Q53, b/c there's no way they're gonna add another local route along Woodhaven...

There are people in some areas that are crying for ONE reliable bus route in their neighborhood.... and this guy wants 3 (I'm not counting the Q21 as reliable)...

incredible...

I like the Q18 and Q67 going to Atlas Park, but I know that NIMBYs in Glendale would oppose it (like they did with the Q45 and Q54 back in 2007 and 2008). For the Q18, I would rather send it to either Fresh Pond station or Myrtle-Wyckoff station to give Ridgewood-Bushwick residents direct access to Woodside-Jackson Heights for the first time (although this would be met with sour opposition from Maspeth riders).

Personally I don't see why there has to be artics everywhere. To the MTA 1 artic = 2 buses. So what that means for the riders is a service decrease. Manhattan and the Bronx can keep them. I'm happy with the current 40' buses not to mention the current artics have only 2 doors which can make getting on/off one a challenge. Thankfully the new ones will have 3 sets of doors.

AND THANKS TO OUR UNIONS WE VOTED DOWN ARTICS IN NYCTA QUEENS DEPOTS!!!!!!

LOL, I'm a little happy now that I know what the artics are really intended for, let the drivers keep their jobs.

Personally I don't see why there has to be artics everywhere. To the MTA 1 artic = 2 buses. So what that means for the riders is a service decrease. Manhattan and the Bronx can keep them. I'm happy with the current 40' buses not to mention the current artics have only 2 doors which can make getting on/off one a challenge. Thankfully the new ones will have 3 sets of doors.

Oh that's dumb, I thought artics were there to increase service that's why I always wanted them on the Q44. I'll be happy with the Orion VII NG's I ride on the Q20, Q44, & Q85 lol. I wouldn't like waiting twice as long for a bus to come.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the artics and would love them to return to the Q113 (my other home route) as long as nobody gets fired.

Lol, how long have you known how the MTA operates? They always have tried to cut corners here and there. Of course they are going to run 1 artic vs. 2 buses.

Artics would be good on the Q44 because it is a long line and makes limited stops, so it doesn't have to stop as often as a local does.

OK Lets stopppppppp the begging for ARTICS Bus Bunnies!!!

They also dont fit in the CS garage so you aint getting them GET OVER IT ALREADY!

AND THANKS TO OUR UNIONS WE VOTED DOWN ARTICS IN NYCTA QUEENS DEPOTS!!!!!!

They also dont fit in the CS garage so you aint getting them GET OVER IT ALREADY!

1. Chill out with the caps

2. Its just a discussion, so quit being rude for no reason.

Can't they fit in West Farms?

Split the Q44 with a Bronx Depot.

Yes sir they can, West Farms houses artics for the Bx19 and other routes.

I'm also kinda sure that Artics can fit in the garage @ CS, if two 40ft buses can go in back to back, why not a 60fter? I remember a long time ago, an artic from 126th street was at CS for quite some time....was never in service though. This was during the times where 126th & MJQ depots had the higher 5700s before SBS.

I didn't beg for artics, I'm more or less refuting the ideas of artics elsewhere. But for the sake of arguement I thought maybe they could run the artics on the Q44 line, but have the artics based in the Bronx.

Yes sir they can, West Farms houses artics for the Bx19 and other routes.

I'm also kinda sure that Artics can fit in the garage @ CS, if two 40ft buses can go in back to back, why not a 60fter? I remember a long time ago, an artic from 126th street was at CS for quite some time....was never in service though. This was during the times where 126th & MJQ depots had the higher 5700s before SBS.

And I'm Kinda sure they dont fit....I work there!

And the artic you saw was there to prove to them it dont!

The reason why you see the caps is because every few months someone post "ohh the Q44 needs artics" Give it up already

And I'm Kinda sure they dont fit....I work there!

And the artic you saw was there to prove to them it dont!

The reason why you see the caps is because every few months someone post "ohh the Q44 needs artics" Give it up already

Alright.

First off, you need to check that snide attitude out the door. Second, that was someone's opinion of a route needing artics, not that they want artics. Third, Harry has mentioned before that TYPING LIKE THIS can get you into trouble, which is why I warned you about that.

I dont care if you are a bus operator or not, you disrespect people like that in this forum and I'll throw it right back at you, regardless if I am a moderator or not, you better show some respect to the members as if they were showing the same respect to you, and dont act like a 16 yr old high school bully who knows it all. This was a civil discussion and you were taking it too far.

Any more foolishness that occurs in this thread, it will be closed until further notice.

Alright.

First off, you need to check that snide attitude out the door. Second, that was someone's opinion of a route needing artics, not that they want artics. Third, Harry has mentioned before that TYPING LIKE THIS can get you into trouble, which is why I warned you about that.

I dont care if you are a bus operator or not, you disrespect people like that in this forum and I'll throw it right back at you, regardless if I am a moderator or not, you better show some respect to the members as if they were showing the same respect to you, and dont act like a 16 yr old high school bully who knows it all. This was a civil discussion and you were taking it too far.

Any more foolishness that occurs in this thread, it will be closed until further notice.

Then Close it

:cry:

Problems with artics on Q44:

-Tight turns

-Waiting in line to stop at bus stops (will only make line longer). Remember, on a LTD bus, there are less stops, but the bus most likely stops at all of them.

-May lower frequencies

Although I agree that more capacity is currently needed, artics may not be the best solution for off-peak times.

Also:

Increase frequencies of Q25+Q65 weekends

Problems with artics on Q44:

-Tight turns

-Waiting in line to stop at bus stops (will only make line longer). Remember, on a LTD bus, there are less stops, but the bus most likely stops at all of them.

-May lower frequencies

Although I agree that more capacity is currently needed, artics may not be the best solution for off-peak times.

Also:

Increase frequencies of Q25+Q65 weekends

Well someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee...

Artics turn tighter than 40 footers, DesignLine as an exception I believe. The line is always going to be there regardless of bus, and frequencies do NOT change. What is with everyone assuming Artics can't turn tight? The rear follows the front!

Well someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee...

Artics turn tighter than 40 footers, DesignLine as an exception I believe. The line is always going to be there regardless of bus, and frequencies do NOT change. What is with everyone assuming Artics can't turn tight? The rear follows the front!

Excatly....I love how ppl who rarely ride Artics assume bad things about them. I've seen so many Artics squeeze on many tight turns. Q113 used to have Artics and Guy R. Brewer Blvd is a narrow street and that route had the same frequency as if it was a 40ft bus!

Archived