Queens Bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

Excatly....I love how ppl who rarely ride Artics assume bad things about them. I've seen so many Artics squeeze on many tight turns. Q113 used to have Artics and Guy R. Brewer Blvd is a narrow street and that route had the same frequency as if it was a 40ft bus!

Yeah I didn't know how the artics would turn out on Brookville Blvd (Snake Road), if an artic can make it there it can probably make it anywhere. I like the artics and I feel they should be used for increased service and not eliminating drivers, I think artics would work if they were placed on every other Q44 during rush hours, its impossible to get a seat after Sutphin (3rd stop) and its usually packed once it leaves Hillside Ave (4th stop).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
]Problems with artics on Q44:

-Tight turns

-Waiting in line to stop at bus stops (will only make line longer). Remember' date=' on a LTD bus, there are less stops, but the bus most likely stops at all of them.

-May lower frequencies[/b'][/i]

Although I agree that more capacity is currently needed, artics may not be the best solution for off-peak times.

Also:

Increase frequencies of Q25+Q65 weekends

#1, I hope you realize that an artic bus is technically 30ft halfway, they can definitely make those turns. For those who knows the Chatham Square area, there has been times where artics made all those turns from East Broadway to St. James Place

#2. If thats the case, try out the M15 on Rush Hour

#3. Frequencies? As in how often the bus/route runs? Not at all.

Yeah I didn't know how the artics would turn out on Brookville Blvd (Snake Road), if an artic can make it there it can probably make it anywhere. I like the artics and I feel they should be used for increased service and not eliminating drivers, I think artics would work if they were placed on every other Q44 during rush hours, its impossible to get a seat after Sutphin (3rd stop) and its usually packed once it leaves Hillside Ave (4th stop).

artics could not run on the q44 because of a very narrow turn the 44 makes off queens blvd onto main st northbound it would be impossible and the narrow roadway at the beginning of main st and the 44 going through the busy area at main st and roosevelt

artics could not run on the q44 because of a very narrow turn the 44 makes off queens blvd onto main st northbound it would be impossible and the narrow roadway at the beginning of main st and the 44 going through the busy area at main st and roosevelt

Actually they can make that turn onto Main Street from Queens Blvd..same goes from Main Street onto Roosevelt Avenue!

Actually they can make that turn onto Main Street from Queens Blvd..same goes from Main Street onto Roosevelt Avenue!

there is no way the q44 can make that turn from queens blvd to main st , the 40 ft buses have problems with that turn specially with the park cars on the left side impossible

there is no way the q44 can make that turn from queens blvd to main st , the 40 ft buses have problems with that turn specially with the park cars on the left side impossible

Excuse me......if an Artic make a right turn on the Q113 from Liberty Avenue to Guy R. Brewer Blvd and that is a narrow street....so can the an Artic on the Q44. If the driver knows what he or she is doing that bus make up and Main Street, Queens Blvd or Archer Avenue. They have used Artics on the (7) Shuttle before around 61st Street-Woodside and those street in that vicinity of Woodside are narrow also!

That is why the D60HFs are 25ft at the front & 35 feet at the back...they are able to make such tight turns.....go to The Bronx to check out the tight areas those artics gotta go through......

40ft buses will always have trouble making tight turns. The artics would be able to make alot of tight turns.

Excuse me......if an Artic make a right turn on the Q113 from Liberty Avenue to Guy R. Brewer Blvd and that is a narrow street....so can the an Artic on the Q44. If the driver knows what he or she is doing that bus make up and Main Street, Queens Blvd or Archer Avenue. They have used Artics on the (7) Shuttle before around 61st Street-Woodside and those street in that vicinity of Woodside are narrow also!

Agreed 100%

(G)otta (G)ive ya :tup::tup::tup: for this ,(N)othing is Impossible

Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improving NYC largest borough in size express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas for local Queens buses w/ 'express' buses.

Queens Local/Limited Bus ideas.

Q-Elimante the Queens Village branch since the Q36 and Q110 already provide Downtown Jamaica subway connections. The Q1 serves Braddock Ave on all trips at all times. b)Route becomes the Hillside Ave Local and it's westbound terminal extended to the Supthin-Archer LIRR/station.

Q-Eastbound terminal extended about 5 blocks and terminates at Elmont Road-Linden in Elmont for transfer to the N-1 and N-8.

Q-a)Full time eastbound terminal is Green Acres Mall via Hook Creek at all times. b)expand Merrick limited stop service to run all day weekdays 6am-9pm to compete with the 'gypsy' cabs and vans.

Rename the Q-5 Rosedale branch the Qa and operates weekdays only as the Merrick Blvd local between Jamaica Center and Rosedale LIRR station via Brooklville Blvd.

Q-extend alternative trips daily and all trips between 10pm-6am to JFK Terminal 4 as a back up for the Airtrain if and during suspension of service.

Most buses still terminate at Cargo area. Serves both the Cargo area and Terminal 4 between 10pm-6am daily.

Q-extended to Eastern Road/JFK Cargo area(Q6 terminal)to provide bus service along most of Rockaway Blvd between Cross Bay/Woodhaven and Farmers and also new transfers to the Q-3 as well. Q40 replaces the Q7 for service along 150th Street *south of Rockaway Blvd.*

Q-extended to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain station. This extension is similar to the Q6 idea is designed in case the Airtrain does not run. Also to relieve overcrowding on the Q10 line as well. Also replaces the Rockaway Blvd/131 St branch of the Q-10.

Q10-All buses run via Conduit/Lefferts Blvd. Q-9 replaces the Q-10 131st Street/Rock Blvd branch. The Q10 remains the same other than this 'minor change. South Ozone Park residents can also the Q37 to get to Kew Gardens station.

Q-11-a)Late Night service is canned and is replaced by the Q-53 for 24/7 coordior along entire length of Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd between Queens Blvd and the Rockaways. b)The Howard Beach branch is replaced by shuttle bus between Liberty/Rockaway Blvd station and 165th Avenue.

Q12-Extended to Great Neck LIRR on limited trips when N-20/21 runs(daily 6am-11pm) about every 30 minutes and all trips from 11pm-7am when the N/20/21 does not run. In addition runs along entire length of Northern Blvd between Union St and the NYC/Nassau Border.

Q13 replaces the Q12 along Sanford Ave between Main St and 165th St. Also gets new hourly overnight service as well.

Q-14 merges with the Q34 and becomes the Q34. Weekdays 6am-11pm runs along entire route as Kissena/Parsons Local between Whitestone-7th Avenue and Jamaica-Parsons and Archer. Weekends and Nights as 'semi-shuttle' between 7th Avenue-Whitestone and Main/Roosevelt only. " Gets 1-hour overnight service.

Q16-Rename the Utopia Pwy branch the Q16a and reduced to operating rush hours only. All other times all Q16's runs via FL Blvd/Willets Point Blvd.

Q-17-"Limited' expanded to all day weekdays until 9pm. B)all "Q17 limiteds' extended to 14th Avenue-College Point(existing Q20b terminal)weekdays only replacing the Q20b. c)"local Q17' runs between Main St and Archer/Supthin at all times.

Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns.

More to come. Feel free to post reactions/comments on these first set of idea.

Sponsored Links

That is why the D60HFs are 25ft at the front & 35 feet at the back...they are able to make such tight turns.....go to The Bronx to check out the tight areas those artics gotta go through......

40ft buses will always have trouble making tight turns. The artics would be able to make alot of tight turns.

Agreed 100%

Actually 35ft front and 25ft rear, sorry I had to do it. ;)

They still need to improve the connections between Ridgewood and the rest of Queens. Straighten out the Q39, cut the Q38 in half and bring the Eliot half into ridgewood, create direct routes to Woodside and/or the 74th St. terminal, or at least extend the 18 or 45 to the Myrtle, and try to straighten them out a bit.

Artics and limited service for the Q60. And a suggestion by a consultant a few years ago was nice:: to turn the Q7 into a route going straight out on the Conduit to Green Acres.

• 3 weeks later...
They still need to improve the connections between Ridgewood and the rest of Queens. Straighten out the Q39, cut the Q38 in half and bring the Eliot half into ridgewood, create direct routes to Woodside and/or the 74th St. terminal, or at least extend the 18 or 45 to the Myrtle, and try to straighten them out a bit.

Artics and limited service for the Q60. And a suggestion by a consultant a few years ago was nice:: to turn the Q7 into a route going straight out on the Conduit to Green Acres.

agree with you about ridgewood.... I mean, of course you know, but I'm saying this in general.... Look at the crushloads that the Q58 gets... then take note of/compare the other Queens routes panning in w/e direction in/out of ridgewood... there's a huge difference....

artics & ltd service on the Q60 might be overkill IMO... I don't think it needs either... just w/e it takes to stop the notorious bunching along that route.... but if push came to shove, I'd favor LTD service over artics along QB....

Q7 thing sounds nice... the one upside is that, it would give brooklyn riders a 1-seat ride to the mall there... I'm not sure if it's needed, but it would fill a gap along the conduits... could only imagine the amt. of HS students on that bus around 4/5 pm heading towards the mall; outside of the slew of kids that currently bombard that bus, isn't springfield gdns HS not too far off (one of the) conduits/F. Lewis... However, I don't see many daily commuters utilizing such an extension....

i agree with ltd stops on the q60....its such a long line....also i have a suggestion about the only line that doesnt connect 2 any subway station.....the q89....i think the line should be extended to rockaway blvd sta...on the A line....what do u think?

well, I don't know the history of the 9a (now the 89), and why it had/has the routing it currently does, w/o serving a subway station.... but sending it on over to the A train (although it sounds nice), would be rather redundant, unfortunately....

agree with you about ridgewood.... I mean, of course you know, but I'm saying this in general.... Look at the crushloads that the Q58 gets... then take note of/compare the other Queens routes panning in w/e direction in/out of ridgewood... there's a huge difference....

artics & ltd service on the Q60 might be overkill IMO... I don't think it needs either... just w/e it takes to stop the notorious bunching along that route.... but if push came to shove, I'd favor LTD service over artics along QB....

Q7 thing sounds nice... the one upside is that, it would give brooklyn riders a 1-seat ride to the mall there... I'm not sure if it's needed, but it would fill a gap along the conduits... could only imagine the amt. of HS students on that bus around 4/5 pm heading towards the mall; outside of the slew of kids that currently bombard that bus, isn't springfield gdns HS not too far off (one of the) conduits/F. Lewis... However, I don't see many daily commuters utilizing such an extension....

also, forgot, extend the 55 at least to Van Wyck. Especially since they made the 54 slower my rerouting it to the Atlas mall.

well, I don't know the history of the 9a (now the 89), and why it had/has the routing it currently does, w/o serving a subway station.... but sending it on over to the A train (although it sounds nice), would be rather redundant, unfortunately....

well as it stands right now on the q89, it terminates at the same spot as the q9....im saying extend it down linden blvd into rockaway blvd to the A train sta.....it gives the people of that community an option of going to jamaica or go 2 the A train.....rite now as it stands, pretty much everyone in south eastern queens are force into jamaica....nothing going anywhere but 2 jamaica...

Archived