Queens Bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

also, forgot, extend the 55 at least to Van Wyck. Especially since they made the 54 slower my rerouting it to the Atlas mall.

i agree.....but extend it by way of hillside to jamaica bus term....i drive that line and people want 2 go 2 jamaica and need 2 catch other buses but are force to connect to the q56, which is unreliable at times....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improving NYC largest borough in size express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas for local Queens buses w/ 'express' buses.

Queens Local/Limited Bus ideas.

Q-Elimante the Queens Village branch since the Q36 and Q110 already provide Downtown Jamaica subway connections. The Q1 serves Braddock Ave on all trips at all times. b)Route becomes the Hillside Ave Local and it's westbound terminal extended to the Supthin-Archer LIRR/station.

Q-Eastbound terminal extended about 5 blocks and terminates at Elmont Road-Linden in Elmont for transfer to the N-1 and N-8.

Q-a)Full time eastbound terminal is Green Acres Mall via Hook Creek at all times. b)expand Merrick limited stop service to run all day weekdays 6am-9pm to compete with the 'gypsy' cabs and vans.

Rename the Q-5 Rosedale branch the Qa and operates weekdays only as the Merrick Blvd local between Jamaica Center and Rosedale LIRR station via Brooklville Blvd.

Q-extend alternative trips daily and all trips between 10pm-6am to JFK Terminal 4 as a back up for the Airtrain if and during suspension of service.

Most buses still terminate at Cargo area. Serves both the Cargo area and Terminal 4 between 10pm-6am daily.

Q-extended to Eastern Road/JFK Cargo area(Q6 terminal)to provide bus service along most of Rockaway Blvd between Cross Bay/Woodhaven and Farmers and also new transfers to the Q-3 as well. Q40 replaces the Q7 for service along 150th Street *south of Rockaway Blvd.*

Q-extended to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain station. This extension is similar to the Q6 idea is designed in case the Airtrain does not run. Also to relieve overcrowding on the Q10 line as well. Also replaces the Rockaway Blvd/131 St branch of the Q-10.

Q10-All buses run via Conduit/Lefferts Blvd. Q-9 replaces the Q-10 131st Street/Rock Blvd branch. The Q10 remains the same other than this 'minor change. South Ozone Park residents can also the Q37 to get to Kew Gardens station.

Q-11-a)Late Night service is canned and is replaced by the Q-53 for 24/7 coordior along entire length of Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd between Queens Blvd and the Rockaways. b)The Howard Beach branch is replaced by shuttle bus between Liberty/Rockaway Blvd station and 165th Avenue.

Q12-Extended to Great Neck LIRR on limited trips when N-20/21 runs(daily 6am-11pm) about every 30 minutes and all trips from 11pm-7am when the N/20/21 does not run. In addition runs along entire length of Northern Blvd between Union St and the NYC/Nassau Border.

Q13 replaces the Q12 along Sanford Ave between Main St and 165th St. Also gets new hourly overnight service as well.

Q-14 merges with the Q34 and becomes the Q34. Weekdays 6am-11pm runs along entire route as Kissena/Parsons Local between Whitestone-7th Avenue and Jamaica-Parsons and Archer. Weekends and Nights as 'semi-shuttle' between 7th Avenue-Whitestone and Main/Roosevelt only. " Gets 1-hour overnight service.

Q16-Rename the Utopia Pwy branch the Q16a and reduced to operating rush hours only. All other times all Q16's runs via FL Blvd/Willets Point Blvd.

Q-17-"Limited' expanded to all day weekdays until 9pm. B)all "Q17 limiteds' extended to 14th Avenue-College Point(existing Q20b terminal)weekdays only replacing the Q20b. c)"local Q17' runs between Main St and Archer/Supthin at all times.

Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns.

More to come. Feel free to post reactions/comments on these first set of idea.

Sponsored Links

in response to a merger of q14/34.....why not extend the q34 down willets point blvd all the way to fort totten and elimitate the q16 branch on francis lewis...an to the q5 i agree somewhat, but what it can do instead of making that loop around hook creek....lets have it make a rt turn on brookville left turn on francis lewis and take it past the train station and go further in2 rosedale...and for the ltd all day im for it......the q18 extension to atlas park....there was 2 much of a hoopla about the extension of the q45 so dont think that would happen.....but an extension to the m train station i can see that

i live in laurelton...in my neighborhood we r so underserve by buses....where i live, we have to travel 2 jamaica 2 get anywhere for instance if i want 2 go 2 queen center mall i would have take q5 to jamaica and transfer 2 the E train and then a local....i dont care for the subway and i have a suggestion of extending the Q88 from jamaica ave and have it travel down springfield blvd in2 francis lewis blvd and terminate at rosedale train station....it may extend the line by an extra 20 min, but think about how the subways run on the wknd...any ideas on this...

i agree.....but extend it by way of hillside to jamaica bus term....i drive that line and people want 2 go 2 jamaica and need 2 catch other buses but are force to connect to the q56, which is unreliable at times....

Oh yeah; that's what I really want, especially back when I was working in places like 179 at times, or like yesterday, heading to Long Island to see their tree lighting. I used to suggest this too, and I had said Hillside, since you don;t need another bus on Jamaica Ave, and it would be a good connection that the 54 and 56 don't provide.

But for now, Van Wyck is better than nothing at all.

well as it stands right now on the q89, it terminates at the same spot as the q9....im saying extend it down linden blvd into rockaway blvd to the A train sta.....it gives the people of that community an option of going to jamaica or go 2 the A train.....rite now as it stands, pretty much everyone in south eastern queens are force into jamaica....nothing going anywhere but 2 jamaica...

that would not work sending the 89 down linden to rockaway and woodhaven because u have the q7 thats runs straight down rockaway which run one block away paralel to linden then you have the q41 on 111ave is two blocks paralel to linden and goes to rockaway and woodhaven also then you have the q37 down 111 st that crosses linden the q89 is not needed to go to rockaway and woodhaven the q89 would be better serve to go to parsons and archer or to a hillside station perhaps 169st

well, I don't know the history of the 9a (now the 89), and why it had/has the routing it currently does, w/o serving a subway station.... but sending it on over to the A train (although it sounds nice), would be rather redundant, unfortunately....

Actually, it's not redundant. Linden Blvd west of Lincoln St isn't served by any buses. This would actually increase ridership and for the first time ever, the Q89 will actually serve a subway station

Actually, it's not redundant. Linden Blvd west of Lincoln St isn't served by any buses. This would actually increase ridership and for the first time ever, the Q89 will actually serve a subway station

thanx....this line is on the chopping block....as it stands right now it only carries 5 or 6 customers on each trip....and by extending it 2 the A train it will increase the ridership....

thanx....this line is on the chopping block....as it stands right now it only carries 5 or 6 customers on each trip....and by extending it 2 the A train it will increase the ridership....

No problem. I have some other Queens ideas in no particular order:

Q1-extended to Jamaica RR

Q9-extended to the Conduits, axe the Q10 via 131 St branch

Q23-extended to LGA

Q26-Don't know to extend it eastward or westward

Q34 extend to Ft Totten, axe the Q16 via WPB branch

Q42-extended to Hillside Av and 153 St

Q43 becomes LTD all day and has LTD stops west of 179 St

Q46-same as Q43

Q55-merged with B54

Q64-extended to Oakland gardens to replace the Q75

Q77 extended to 147 Av

Q83-Revive the Queens Village LIRR branch

More to come

Q23-extended to LGA

Q46-same as Q43

Q55-merged with B54

Q77 extended to 147 Av

More to come

AXE the Q26 and extend the Q48!

Q23-extended to LGA

Q46-same as Q43

Q55-merged with B54

Q77 extended to 147 Av

More to come

would not merge the Q55 with B54 but extend the Q55 via hillside to 165 terminal....i agree with an extension of Q23 to lga and Q9 to taken over Q10 functions on 130 st.....Q1 extension to jamaica lirr totally agree with can act as local all times for Q43 ltd.....a Q64 extension along 73 ave i can see.....but wont have to eliminate the Q75 but make the line go from jamaica to queensboro college wkdays only....

Q23-extended to LGA

Q46-same as Q43

Q55-merged with B54

Q77 extended to 147 Av

More to come

my replies to q43's ideas.

actually on most i agree 100%. however these i disagree with.

q43-does not need 'limited stop' service on weekends.

q46-i agree for it to have limited stop service all day weekdays until 9pm. like the q43 no need for '46 limited' on weekends.

q55-the only proposal i strongly disagree with q43. Downtown Brooklyn traffic daily especially during rush hours is brutal causing delays & thus bus bunching on the b54. Even with limited stop service on merged b54/q55, this could still become a 2-hour ride between Lefferts/Jamaica Ave in Queens and Downtown Brooklyn. I dont think that many bus riders will use this bus to go between Jamaica area and Downtown Brooklyn.

Q55/B54 idea.

IMO a better idea is to run the Q55 between Suthpin/Acher (J)(Z)(E)lirr terminal and Flushing Ave/Bway (J)(M)-Woodhull Hosptial station.

While the B54 gets limited stop service rush hours only between Bway/Mytrle (J)(M)station and Jay St-Boro Hall.

replies?

to be honest, I skimmed through his post & only saw "Rockaway blvd".... hence, thinking that he meant simply to extend the 89 from it's current terminal, down Rockaway...

I agree such a move it would increase ridership... it can't get any worse....

Jokes aside, people will still take/favor the Q41 over the Q89 if that were to get extended to the rockaway blvd station... that side of Linden Blvd (west of Merrick) is a dead draw... outside of it not serving a subway station, the fact that it goes up merrick makes things worse.... IMO, It would make far more sense to have that route serve *some* subway station whilst in Jamaica; whether that's the E, the J/Z, and/or the F.... hell, I think it should "help out" the Q6 or the Q40, over its current routing....

I would extend the Q23 to Kew Gardens via Union Turnpike (last stop would be where the Q37 is)

probably one of the better ideas I've read, regarding moving that terminal the Q23 has... It's not like you see many ppl utilize the Q23 to one of the Woodhaven blvd. buses..... Only problem I can think of at the moment, would be layover space (where the 37 ends at)... it's rather tight up there along that hill/incline....

- cool beans... this is very similar to what I have on my queens bus map too...

trying not to be too wordy right now, but I've thought for a while that these 2 routes should be paired up w/ each other in some fashion...

- yep... terminating on lincoln/rockaway is so arbitrary....

Q23-extended to LGA

- disagree... should be left right where it is....

- this is w/o much thought, but how about northward? and combine that with the Q20B routing in Flushing, and points north....

- disagree... from Jamaica, why all the way to fort totten, bro?

- couldn't hurt...

Q46-same as Q43

- Unless something drastic happened w/ the ridership pattern(s) of the Q46 I don't know about, I'd leave this alone....

Q55-merged with B54

- this one's been floating around for years now... I hate this idea.... don't see who this would benefit; brooklyn riders or queens riders.... of the people I see disembarking B54's, they're not taking Q55's (or vice versa)... they're either taking the subway, or the Q58...

two, the B54 crawls in Brooklyn, and the Q55 is a quick lil ride (when it comes) from one end of myrtle av (in Queens) to the other....

- another old one... I generally agree with this; although Electchester residents would shoot it down immediately...

Q77 extended to 147 Av

- well, at least it would eliminate that illegal u-turn it currently has at its terminal.... that walk from 145th rd to 147th does suck... it would provide a connection w/ the Q111/Q113Ltd stop down there... guess I can agree to this...

- Refresh my memory.... Why was it taken away again?

More to come

reply in bold...

- cool beans... this is very similar to what I have on my queens bus map too...

trying not to be too wordy right now, but I've thought for a while that these 2 routes should be paired up w/ each other in some fashion...

- yep... terminating on lincoln/rockaway is so arbitrary....

Q23-extended to LGA

- disagree... should be left right where it is....I thought of that because since it terminates right there and riders won't have to xfer to that pathetic Q48

- this is w/o much thought, but how about northward? and combine that with the Q20B routing in Flushing, and points north....Good idea. It's better than sending the Q17 to College Pt

- disagree... from Jamaica, why all the way to fort totten, bro?I take that back. I'll extend it to Francis Lewis down Willets Pt. It's better than combining it with the Q14

- couldn't hurt...

Q46-same as Q43

- Unless something drastic happened w/ the ridership pattern(s) of the Q46 I don't know about, I'd leave this alone....What I meant for the Q43 and 46 is to be LTD all day Monday-Friday. Weekends can stay local

Q55-merged with B54

- this one's been floating around for years now... I hate this idea.... don't see who this would benefit; brooklyn riders or queens riders.... of the people I see disembarking B54's, they're not taking Q55's (or vice versa)... they're either taking the subway, or the Q58...

two, the B54 crawls in Brooklyn, and the Q55 is a quick lil ride (when it comes) from one end of myrtle av (in Queens) to the other....

- another old one... I generally agree with this; although Electchester residents would shoot it down immediately...

Q77 extended to 147 Av

- well, at least it would eliminate that illegal u-turn it currently has at its terminal.... that walk from 145th rd to 147th does suck... it would provide a connection w/ the Q111/Q113Ltd stop down there... guess I can agree to this...

It was taken away because the Q27 was sent southward to 120 Av. The funny thing is not all Q27 go to Cambria. I still feel Q83 riders was gypped when this happened

reply in bold...

More ideas:

Q112-extended to Euclid Av station down Liberty Av

Q6-LTD stops created. Stops at Archer, Liberty, 109, Linden, Foch and Rockaway. Ridership has flourished since the takeover

QBx1-Axed-Replaced by Q50 and Bx23 respectively

Q23-extended to LGA

- disagree... should be left right where it is....

I thought of that because since it terminates right there and riders won't have to xfer to that pathetic Q48

lol.... I hear ya man....

If the passenger load on the Q23 was of low density, I would probably agree w/ this.... What's funny about the Q48 is that, you'd think having a bus route traveling from a major hub, to an airport would really flourish.... nope...

I honestly believe people in Flushing (and points due north, east) would backtrack to 74th (on the (7)) & catch the Q33, before taking the Q48 outright.... The ppl. you do see boarding Q48's are getting off along the residential areas it directly serves... Basically what I'm tryna say is, the Q33 is the more prevalent route to take to LGA before the Q48 is ever considered.....

- this is w/o much thought, but how about northward? and combine that with the Q20B routing in Flushing, and points north....

Good idea. It's better than sending the Q17 to College Pt

Thanks.

I always thought there should just be a "Q20" or w/e, that goes along 20th av, towards its terminal in College pt.... The masses (especially in flushing) all wait for the 20a or the 44 anyway)... anyone heading along 14th can take a low density route, such as an (extended) Q26; instead of outright axing that route (q26)...

that Q17 idea is another one I don't like.. I don't think there'll be a justifiable increase in ridership if it were to be extended to College pt. anyway....

It was taken away because the Q27 was sent southward to 120 Av. The funny thing is not all Q27 go to Cambria. I still feel Q83 riders was gypped when this happened

Thanks again.

I thought it had something to do with the Q27... forgot that its orig. terminal was @ LIRR QV.....

That said, I can agree with this idea...

More ideas:

Q112-extended to Euclid Av station down Liberty Av

Q6-LTD stops created. Stops at Archer, Liberty, 109, Linden, Foch and Rockaway. Ridership has flourished since the takeover

- and has it ever... I see the lines for that route whenever I'm in Jamaica... I say to myself, did they build up over there or something... the influx of riders on those buses... good grief....

I can agree to this.

QBx1-Axed-Replaced by Q50 and Bx23 respectively

- yeh, IMO, the Qbx1 needs to go... the cutoff point in ridership is @ Pelham Bay... It's a high majority of riders coming from co-op that want that (6)....

My Replies, under yours, accordingly.....

i just love the idea of the Q6 ltd.....yes i can also agree with axing the QBx1 and splitting it into 2 lines...

Yep. (Q)(6) LTD rush hours only. Q50 operates from Flushing to Pelham Bay. Bx23 operates from Pelham Bay to Co-Op City

The Q46 doesn't have the ridership to run ltd all day. You would be running empty buses. The Q6 LTD rush hours only one direction only would work. Northbound during the AM and Southbound during the PM.

That's exactly what I meant for my proposed Q6 LTD

More ideas:

B24 axed, Q104 extended to Williamsburg BP. 48 St will go across QB for this to happen

A new B5 route from Flushing to Greenpoint via Roosevelt/Greenpoint Avs. I proposed this since not all (7) stations are ADA-compliant

Q38 cut in half:

Q38 operates from Corona to Ridgewood

A new Q51 route operates from Forest Hills to Williamsburg

More ideas:

B24 axed, Q104 extended to Williamsburg BP. 48 St will go across QB for this to happen

A new B5 route from Flushing to Greenpoint via Roosevelt/Greenpoint Avs. I proposed this since not all (7) stations are ADA-compliant

Q38 cut in half:

Q38 operates from Corona to Ridgewood

A new Q51 route operates from Forest Hills to Williamsburg

omg that q38 split yay.....i was thinking the same thing not the same number but it"ll work....i think the Q51 should run down eliot ave into metro ave all the way 2 the new development on kent ave.....and the new B5 i totally agree with.....but with 1 hitch extend it 2 williamsburg bp....since all that new development along kent ave needs transpotation options

Archived