R160 A?

Amtrak7

This is not about speculation of any sort. I found this photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Via_JFK_Airport.jpg

It was taken in September of 2006. As we all know, they have tested R160's on the A before. But, notice the passenger in the picture. That reveals revenue service.

Did the R160's really once run on the A in revenue service, or was this a sign mishap?

They did run on the (A) for a few months and I did ride one. They were removed due to some problem out in the Rockaways I think. But yes, they did run there. Also I don't know if they were R160A/B or what ever, there all R160s to me.

The R160s, at least the B set, I'm not entirely sure about the A set, ran their 30-day service tests on the (A) in September of 2006. Here's some photos I took from that run:

The A set ran its 30 day service test on the (A) around October or November in 2006. I remember thinking it was the same B set until I caught the car numbers. Oh and nice pics :cool:.

Don't mean to be bias but i want to real honest....but it amazes me that the (A) and (C) runs the oldest cars on the IND/BMT fleet and the (3) runs the oldest IRT fleet and all 3 of them run through East New York. I dont know the whole story w/ the R160 Rockaways but I do know the (3) was gonna have R142 but for political reasons it didnt. Please dont be offended of this.

They did run on the (A) for a few months and I did ride one. They were removed due to some problem out in the Rockaways I think. But yes, they did run there. Also I don't know if they were R160A/B or what ever, there all R160s to me.

They were placed on the (A) to continue revenue testing because of a problem on the *(N)* which was resolved, and the cars finished testing and went in service there as planned.

Don't mean to be bias but i want to real honest....but it amazes me that the (A) and (C) runs the oldest cars on the IND/BMT fleet and the (3) runs the oldest IRT fleet and all 3 of them run through East New York. I dont know the whole story w/ the R160 Rockaways but I do know the (3) was gonna have R142 but for political reasons it didnt. Please dont be offended of this.

I don't think the neighborhoods that certain trains run through have a whole lot to do with which lines receive new trains. The (L) runs through Canarsie, East New York/New Lots, Brownsville and Bushwick, all what the general public would refer to as "ghettos" or "the hood." The (J) and (Z) lines run through a few of the rougher areas in town as well. Look at some of the neighborhoods that the (6)<6> makes stops in. The (4) too, especially late nights. The (2) Eastern Parkway local as well. All of these lines were among the first to get new trains when they were available. Politics play a part in all decisions that city and state agencies make to some extent, but before anyone makes a statement regarding sensitive topics such as socioeconomics and race, please have all of the facts.

I'm not going to be offended by it, but the (3) in the 90s had the newest fleet in the IRT, the R62As. I'm okay with the fact they gave us R62s in the 2000s just because the (2), (4), (5), and (6) all had Redbirds and we still ended up with 10-car trains after a decade with 9-car train service. But I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think that is exactly the reason. Anyway, the (A), well I don't know what we're going to do about their fleet, but they have to get something new sometime.

I don't think the neighborhoods that certain trains run through have a whole lot to do with which lines receive new trains. The (L) runs through Canarsie, East New York/New Lots, Brownsville and Bushwick, all what the general public would refer to as "ghettos" or "the hood." The (J) and (Z) lines run through a few of the rougher areas in town as well. Look at some of the neighborhoods that the (6)<6> makes stops in. The (4) too, especially late nights. The (2) Eastern Parkway local as well. All of these lines were among the first to get new trains when they were available. Politics play a part in all decisions that city and state agencies make to some extent, but before anyone makes a statement regarding sensitive topics such as socioeconomics and race, please have all of the facts.

Sometimes I wonder if the neglect of the entire "north" district (A)(C)(J)(L)(M) might be political like that. for one thing, the (J)(L)(M) HAD to get new cars, because there was nothing else that could be moved there from elsewhere, because the system was never modified to handle 75 foot cars and 600 ft trains like everywhere else, hance never could get anything new for a full 30 years. (Also, the (L), so it could be the guinea pig for the new signaling/operation technology). Now, just the (A)(C) are left as the dumping ground. (The (C) also always getting the oldest stuff, but the (A) being lucky enough to be the famous "showcase" like which did get the oldest 75 ft cars, but now the dumping ground for other 75 cars).

When I ask some people today, they say they don't want to put new cars on the (A)(C) because the vandals would scratch them up. This said on the (J) where they try to only put 42's in the layup areas where people could easily get to them. So if that was true, then there is some truth to the notion, and it is simply being blamed on the people themselves.

I remember riding the R160 (A) train twice in 2006. They have the same person doing announcements as the (F).

I thought they stopped testing them because the the R160's hit the Rockaways, there was 3rd rail problems, as in they couldn't give enough. But i could be wrong.

Hm, it's possible. The MTA, in my opinion has had a tendency to neglect "rouger" parts of the city. With the (3) having no late night service in Harlem for so many years, before political pressure amongst other things forced the MTA to create the current service. Another example, is East New York Bus Depot, which up until very recently, would not put its hybrid buses on the B14 (East NY), B17 (Canarsie), and other routes that traveled through those "rough" areas. True, there is probably other reasons why the (3), (A), and (C) have the oldest possible fleet from their respective divisions, but it doesn't look good for the MTA, when people without the mass knowledge of the MTA look around and feel like their neighborhoods are being neglected.

Sometimes I wonder if the neglect of the entire "north" district (A)(C)(J)(L)(M) might be political like that. for one thing, the (J)(L)(M) HAD to get new cars, because there was nothing else that could be moved there from elsewhere, because the system was never modified to handle 75 foot cars and 600 ft trains like everywhere else, hance never could get anything new for a full 30 years. (Also, the (L), so it could be the guinea pig for the new signaling/operation technology). Now, just the (A)(C) are left as the dumping ground. (The (C) also always getting the oldest stuff, but the (A) being lucky enough to be the famous "showcase" like which did get the oldest 75 ft cars, but now the dumping ground for other 75 cars).

When I ask some people today, they say they don't want to put new cars on the (A)(C) because the vandals would scratch them up. This said on the (J) where they try to only put 42's in the layup areas where people could easily get to them. So if that was true, then there is some truth to the notion, and it is simply being blamed on the people themselves.

I agree with you in the fact that the Jamaica line is full of hoodlums. That is why at 111th Street, R42s are usually stored there at night, NEVER an R160. The MTA doesn't care about their older fleet because they're being retired, but they'll have to make do with what they have now because I don't think any new cars are coming to the (J) for a while. When the retirements with the Jamaica SMEEs are over, ENY will get the 50 R32s (from what I heard) to send the R42s there to the scrapline, and then the next R160 option order will have those R32s pushed out of ENY. Additional R160s will go to Jamaica to push the R32s out of 207th to scrap. But that's going to happen first before ENY is all-NTT.

I know many of us would like to see the R160s on other lines, and the A is one of them. Of course, I have to agree that the A deserves some new rolling stock. The (A) riders are probably blowing steam cause they keep on seeing the (E) and (F) with "them new cars".

Whatever the case is, why not we wait a while? This car assignment thing is highly volatile and anything could happen.

Oh also, I like the fact that the LEDs use "NEXT" as opposed to "The Next Stop Is"

WTH are you talking about? The 160's has/have ZERO issues over on the Rockaway line. Believe me, I've rode a 160 over to the Rockaway line. If it was a failure, then how come they tested the R160A's on the (A)?

They began testing the R160B's on the (A) on Monday September 11th, 2006. The R160A's 30-day test began shortly thereafter. Those two sets were later placed on the November in December of 2006.

Chill out.

I disagree that the MTA neglects Transit in inner city areas. ENY and FP sevice areas are basically 95% inner city and yet they was one of the few NYCT depots to get the Orion VII HEV. Fresh pond at one point had 126 Orion VIIs! Same goes for West Farms they got all those new CNGs. The IRT lines, namely the (2)(4)(5) & (6) got the R142s. The (2)(4) and (5) lines are gettho on both ends of those routes and yet they got the 142s. The (1) line travels though the yuppie upper east side and Riverdale and yet they have the R62As. Flatbush Depot service area is 98% inner city and yet they got the new buses before Ulmer Park whos service area is mostly Surbuban (Except for the B6 & B74). Kingsbridge service area is mostly Riverdale, yet they have all those ratty old Orion Vs in service. In the Inner city or the "Hood" the kids have an higher astma rate than surbuban kids. IMO I think Depots that have a lot of routes that goes though hoods should have piority in getting new hybrid buses over depots with routes that mostly go though surbuban areas.

Archived