(2) to Dyre Ave

2Line1291

The (2) & (5) should switch their roles in The Bronx......

1. (2) terminates at Dyre Ave, run local south of East 180th all times, and run to 238th St on PM rush hours.

2. (5) terminates at 241st St, express peak direction south of East 180th during rush hours like it does now and also restore the <5> White Plains Rd Express running to Gun Hill Rd.

This way the (2) wouldnt be the extraordinary long local line in the Bronx and this balances out for both the (2) and (5). Also this expands the (2) service in the Bronx during rush hours. Correct me if im wrong

1. (2) terminates at Dyre Ave, run local south of East 180th all times, and run to 238th St on PM rush hours.

2. (5) terminates at 241st St, express peak direction south of East 180th during rush hours like it does now and also restore the <5> White Plains Rd Express running to Gun Hill Rd.

This way the (2) wouldnt be the extraordinary long local line in the Bronx and this balances out for both the (2) and (5). Also this expands the (2) service in the Bronx during rush hours. Correct me if im wrong

doesnt sound like a bad idea to me.

This also gives the 55,000 residents of Co-op City better transportation options. Take the (2) via Dyre Ave Line and go to Central Harlem and Times Square or take the (6) via Pelham Line or the (5) transfer at East 180th and go to Upper East Side and Grand Central.

What about late nights, that is the current problem can't have a (5) shuttle on the busier line, unless the (5) is extended to at least 149 St, or 42 St late nights...

Why? Most Dyre Ave riders want full time access to Lex Ave line and Most White Plains Road north of 180th Street in various surveys prefer full time service to 7th Avenue.

Keep the current service pattern but extend overnight (5) service to at least 149-Grand Concourse and if possible extended to 42nd-Grand Central. The Lat night Dyre shuttle is joke and unfair for those riders who have to change 2x between Dyre stations and the Lex line overnights.

I already know why the (2) goes to 241st and the (5) goes to Dyre Ave cause of people wants.....but my point here is of course a majority wants to go take a train that goes to Times Square but do they really understand the consequences which is a extraordinary long local train. For crying out loud the (2) has to stop at 24 stations before it turns into an express train and plus when it runs local in Manhattan late nights. They've got to be joken

But other than that I prefer the (5) to be extended to Grand Central.

I already know why the (2) goes to 241st and the (5) goes to Dyre Ave cause of people wants.....but my point here is of course a majority wants to go take a train that goes to Times Square but do they really understand the consequences which is a extraordinary long local train. For crying out loud the (2) has to stop at 24 stations before it turns into an express train and plus when it runs local in Manhattan late nights.

If you think the (2) is bad, then try living along the (A) line in Queens preferably Far Rockaway and I bet you won't be complaining about service over there especially the horrible G/O with Shuttle buses and long long late night local service!

Its bad enough the (2) had its late express service cut b/c ppl decided to complain about the train skipping the local stops or they missed the express train b/c they decided to stand @ a local station. Just leave the (2) and (5) excatly where they are!

It's all about what the residents of WPR want and what the residents of Dyre want. I think that's why service is how it is now.

Agreed.

Many people on WPR heads to 7th Ave and people on Dyre Branch heads for Lex.

Plus this will angler the passengers and confuse em.

Similar to the test run with the (2) Via WPR Express during 2003-2004 around, People down from E180th to The Hub demonded Local Service via RH for 7th Ave

Plus if the (2) were to be the Dyre Train, who knows if Late Night on the (2) gets cut to E180th and (5) runs to Manattan and Brooklyn

Leave it how it is!

If you think the (2) is bad, then try living along the (A) line in Queens preferably Far Rockaway and I bet you won't be complaining about service over there especially the horrible G/O with Shuttle buses and long long late night local service!

Its bad enough the (2) had its late express service cut b/c ppl decided to complain about the train skipping the local stops or they missed the express train b/c they decided to stand @ a local station. Just leave the (2) and (5) excatly where they are!

Some time recently (Winter 2008 or Summer 2009) MTA made the first N/B (2) local [23:54 Flatbush] the last N/B (2) express [00:02 Flatbush] on weeknights. The N/B (2) express runs a little later now, 16 minutes later.

Agreed.

Many people on WPR heads to 7th Ave and people on Dyre Branch heads for Lex.

Plus this will angler the passengers and confuse em.

Similar to the test run with the (2) Via WPR Express during 2003-2004 around, People down from E180th to The Hub demonded Local Service via RH for 7th Ave

Plus if the (2) were to be the Dyre Train, who knows if Late Night on the (2) gets cut to E180th and (5) runs to Manattan and Brooklyn

Leave it how it is!

The people also like to get off the (2) and pack the (5) in the AM at E 180 St as well especially when the <5> [238] stops running. Some (5) trains before 9:00am are still packed at times.

The <5> [238] does need to run earlier in the afternoon since the (2) gets more crowded after 3:00pm going N/B in the Bronx. 4:00 it can get worse. Many people will get off the (5) and wait for the (2) in the PM as well.

The people also like to get off the (2) and pack the (5) in the AM at E 180 St as well especially when the <5> [238] stops running. Some (5) trains before 9:00am are still packed at times.

The <5> [238] does need to run earlier in the afternoon since the (2) gets more crowded after 3:00pm going N/B in the Bronx. 4:00 it can get worse. Many people will get off the (5) and wait for the (2) in the PM as well.

Well during PM hrs Limited <5> via WPR Northern runs express from E180th and ends at GH to yard 239.

AM via Exp after 10am to 11:30AM from The Hub to 180th/M. Park Ave for Union port.

I would add more (5)s for AM via 238th to Bk, but i think there is a limited amount of R142s to do the job from 239th..

I already know why the (2) goes to 241st and the (5) goes to Dyre Ave cause of people wants.....but my point here is of course a majority wants to go take a train that goes to Times Square but do they really understand the consequences which is a extraordinary long local train. For crying out loud the (2) has to stop at 24 stations before it turns into an express train and plus when it runs local in Manhattan late nights. They've got to be joken

But other than that I prefer the (5) to be extended to Grand Central.

Young man (2line) if you live or visit that area alot only other advice other than writing letters to local Bronx political leaders ie Bronx Boro President and the MTA boss there little you can do. Politics and money is major factor in all routing decsions of all NYC ubways and bus lines. As far as alternatives here idea.

On weekends only the Metro North offers a discount of i think only $3.25 from their Bronx stations (several like Williamsbridge/Gun Hill Road is a short walk to the (2) Gun HILL/WP Road station)to get to/from Grand Central. Just my takes.

Well the (5) need later express service to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue...like it b4!

If they did run the (2) on Dyre Ave there is no way in the (MTA) right minds they'll run the (2) as a shuttle cause they are more Lex trains in the Bronx then there is 7th Ave.

True, even when AM/PM Exp service on the (5) occurs via WPR there are more (5)s active then being in Brooklyn, like Nevins or Atlantic, cuz more (4)s are active.

Id keep everything how it is. Money is also playing a role on this. (MTA) is running a transit system not a game for who wants wat, Otherwise no one would wanna ride.

If they did run the (2) on Dyre Ave there is no way in the (MTA) right minds they'll run the (2) as a shuttle cause they are more Lex trains in the Bronx then there is 7th Ave.

(2) line young man. Dont be upset. I actually think you raised an excellent question/idea and nothng to be ashamed about. :confused:

Even the so called experts at the (MTA) and some of local Bronx political leaders "disagree" on what to do with (2) and (5)service in Bronx.

Just telling you reasons/reply on why there little or slim chance any time soon the (2) wont go to Dyre and the (5) to 241 anytime soon other than 'g/o's.:(

The (1) does, on the other side of the Bronx though

Yup

7th Ave:

(1) via Broadway/Van Cortland(as i say) Local |(9) use to but ended service March 2005

(2) via Lenox/White Plains Road Local

Lexington Ave:

(4) via Jerome Avenue Local

(5)<5> via White Plains Road Local/Express and Dyre Ave Local

(6) via Pelham Bay Local

<6> via Pelham Bay Express

Only Main Line train that doesn't go to bronx is (3), tho it appears everyday via WPR ether for storage at 239th ir car wash..

Two quick points for the OP. The (2) line was the Dyre line in the late '50s-early '60s era and the Lexington Ave (5) was the WPR line. The residents of Eastchester and Co-op City protested. The residents wanted Lexington Ave service, not 7th Ave service and they had the clout to get it. Therefore the service was swapped. To appease the WPR riders am and pm Lex service was kept from 241st. You have to remember that they always had East Side service from 241st from the 3rd Avenue el service and then from the opening of the subway. When the el was truncated to Bronx only service there was no way those riders were going to give up East side access. Therefore the <5> thru express, which originally ran from 241st stopping at Gun Hill Road, East 180st, and on to 149th St-3rd Ave. Point #2. A few years ago there was a plan to have the Dyre Ave (5) trains run local in the Bronx while WPR (2) and (5) trains would run express between 149th st-3rd Ave and East 180th st during rush hours. That plan was nuked by the affected neighborhoods and politicians. The residents of the southern Bronx area wanted the (2) to continue stopping there. They pointed out what we train crews already knew. There was no way to put these riders on an already packed (5) train at Grand Concourse or 3rd Ave or East 180th st in the rush hours. The safety factor and dwell time could not be justified. Knowing the TA though they will try to pull it off again and give it some bogus "improvement"spin.

Archived